Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Skypie posted:

whoa, I just noticed Hunter's Prowl causes Markus not to consume ammo for its duration

it also grants you exactly 1 bullet to make sure you can shoot your gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Does the SSAO look like flickery cross hatching to anyone else?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Holy poo poo, this game seems harder than the first!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Do the ranged classes really make a good case for themselves? I'm so skeptical about the concept and haven't really enjoyed ranged Bardin or Kruber.

It's a mixed bag. Saltz's is pretty solid, but he is also a man who throws down guns regularly. Bardin is useful in that he constantly gives back ammo to the entire team, but he also could be playing THE WALL instead. Kruber is balanced, if a bit boring across the board, so it's a matter of preference in what you'd like to do. ELF's waywatcher is the best of the three outright unless you go all in on the handmaiden's pseudo-tank gimmick or shade's crit bonzai.

As a matter of preference I dramatically prefer Kruber's charge as a knight over anything else he can do, and Bardin seems a lot more useful as THE WALL then giving team mates 2-3 more shots on the regular.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Holy schamoly, what's a Kruber supposed to do against the Act 1 boss? All I could really do was clear trash and hope our bright wizard could burn the fucker down.

He really sucks to fight as Merc or Knight, and it's extra annoying as Knight cuz charge does gently caress all against him.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Holy moly are some of the people running champion toxic. Had two people at each others throats calling one another racial slurs, bragging that they had x amount of hours in the beta. Ended up with the sienna player friendly fireing the elf down, followed by her jumping off a cliff with a tome plus grim. All of this because the elf had spooked a loot rat and "hosed up our chances of getting the best loot". Nevermind that we had been doing swimmingly until then, with a full library.

On another note, bolt staff pyromancer sienna is the new "im ranged only" flavor of the month with infinite flaming skull spam and no heat worries. Playing with a level 20+ bolt sienna is just dull since any enemy you see will die instantly and you will constantly be FFed by her never-ending flamespam.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yea I'm kinda taking it easy for like a week or two while the kool kids burn out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Why do a half book run for the normal treasure when you can grab all the books and die horribly 3/4 of the way through?

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Glad that this was noted literally anywhere. So the right hand click without the beam is really just a heat generator.

Unsure if you're kidding, or if my brain is dumb since I rebind things, but secondary fire is hold for a second and release and it's a wide shotgun of fire. It's completely invisible though so with no mobs it definitely seems to just make heat and do nothing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's a mixed bag. Saltz's is pretty solid, but he is also a man who throws down guns regularly. Bardin is useful in that he constantly gives back ammo to the entire team, but he also could be playing THE WALL instead. Kruber is balanced, if a bit boring across the board, so it's a matter of preference in what you'd like to do. ELF's waywatcher is the best of the three outright unless you go all in on the handmaiden's pseudo-tank gimmick or shade's crit bonzai.

As a matter of preference I dramatically prefer Kruber's charge as a knight over anything else he can do, and Bardin seems a lot more useful as THE WALL then giving team mates 2-3 more shots on the regular.

Yeah knight, Ironclad, and Handmaiden were hands down the classes I was most excited about. I'm sure I'm probably a little overbearing in my prejudice against ranged builds because in V1 I had lots of people who never learned how to block or dodge Dooming their way through and relying on the rest of us to carry their corpse to the wagon. I feel like I need to stage an intervention with my friend and tell him "for christ's sake you need to learn to play someone other than Sienna if just to get good at the poo poo you ignore."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Delpino posted:

Unsure if you're kidding, or if my brain is dumb since I rebind things, but secondary fire is hold for a second and release and it's a wide shotgun of fire. It's completely invisible though so with no mobs it definitely seems to just make heat and do nothing.

Yeah I forgot about that since the dummies are broken still. It's still odd that there aren't descriptions because the beam burst option firmly places it into "jack of all trades, master of none" category.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like the use of barrels to find books and I think they should increase barrel-based hidden bonuses 200%. It's like playing Donkey Kong Country again.

Sienna sure likes to talk about dancing now. That and "darlings" are starting to wear on me. It's not a dis but in repetitiveness it's kind of like "mayfly."

Anybody got any clue how much of VT1's banter is imported here? I still think that as most of it would be applicable anyway it should all be ported right in with the new material for a huge variety of lines.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah I forgot about that since the dummies are broken still. It's still odd that there aren't descriptions because the beam burst option firmly places it into "jack of all trades, master of none" category.

The no descriptions for anything got me killed. I worked on Warhammer: Age of Reckoning with that as my only exposure to bright wizards.For those, keeping a high "heat" was good and it would just increase the chance of hurting yourself. I blew up 3-4 times in VT2 before realizing it was horrifically bad to go too high.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's disappointing that you can't use Unchained's F-bomb to cancel out an overheat explosion. It seems like an obvious use for it, but you can purge your heat and then still be down a second later.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

You're a coward if you don't double grim every run!!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BombiTheZombie posted:

Holy moly are some of the people running champion toxic. Had two people at each others throats calling one another racial slurs, bragging that they had x amount of hours in the beta. Ended up with the sienna player friendly fireing the elf down, followed by her jumping off a cliff with a tome plus grim. All of this because the elf had spooked a loot rat and "hosed up our chances of getting the best loot". Nevermind that we had been doing swimmingly until then, with a full library.

Yeah, it's definitely feeling like there's still the initial crop of twitch tards, wannabe pros and all that kicking around just because NEW GAME TO BE A TURD IN making matches unfun every couple or so.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Beam is an excellent special sniper and just cranks damage on bosses. So yea, it excels in smashing big targets with a minor in horde control.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

You're a coward if you don't double grim every run!!

Username/post combo (I kid! well sorta)

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, it's definitely feeling like there's still the initial crop of twitch tards, wannabe pros and all that kicking around just because NEW GAME TO BE A TURD IN making matches unfun every couple or so.
I guess I've been lucky, worst I had was a few rage quits.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bots seem less dumb than they were in the beta. I tag things and they shoot them. They try not to get murdered by bosses. That's more than I can say of the average pubbie.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah knight, Ironclad, and Handmaiden were hands down the classes I was most excited about. I'm sure I'm probably a little overbearing in my prejudice against ranged builds because in V1 I had lots of people who never learned how to block or dodge Dooming their way through and relying on the rest of us to carry their corpse to the wagon. I feel like I need to stage an intervention with my friend and tell him "for christ's sake you need to learn to play someone other than Sienna if just to get good at the poo poo you ignore."

Hand maiden is awful, unfortunately.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Every career is fine.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Hand maiden is awful, unfortunately.

I expected her "Increased Dodge Distance" to be a real space-opener. Imagine my surprise when it turns out to be a slightly longer shuffle.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ok so what is working out good on Mercenery atm? I've been asleep 12 hours, whats the updates?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Every career is fine.

I mean, every character (except Slayer) has the same basic functionality, but there are certainly a few careers that...don't really do much to help beyond that.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I had a slayer that kept getting downed because he was running ahead. When I asked him to stick together, he said actually it's safer to move fast and aggressively because you get fewer spawns. Luckily he left after getting downed by a troll and we finished easily with his replacement.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I mean, every character (except Slayer) has the same basic functionality, but there are certainly a few careers that...don't really do much to help beyond that.

Sienna has the most variety in her classes, but she also has a fundamentally different system with the overheat mechanic, so it's kind of a wash.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Ok so what is working out good on Mercenery atm? I've been asleep 12 hours, whats the updates?

I've been running around with the arming sword and blunderbuss, feels good.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Is Handmaiden a bad choice if I want to be a CC oriented tank type class? I like spears more than I hate elves but if it's going to be way worse than knight or ironbreaker and be a pain in the rear end to get in matches with I wont bother.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

I'm really liking the executioner's sword for having big wide swings as your default rather than power attacks. It's what you want to be doing most of the time anyway. Its power attacks are huge nasty overhead chops that are great for stormvermin and some of the northmen elites, especially since holding it will let you figure out your all-important spacing.

For ranged, I'm a handgun partisan for life, but the repeater handgun feels decent rather than trash like it used to, so that's cool.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is anyone else disconnecting from hosts randomly recently

I never had any crashing or disconnecting in the beta but have dropped from 3 or 4 games in a row half way through tonight, it's extremely frustrating

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So at leve 20 on Bright Wizard for my talents I’m running Natural Talent, Dissipate, One with the Flame, and Seething Embers. These seem like the best talents for running a Crit base Pyromancer to me. Also can charms and necklaces have +Crit chance of just weapons themselves

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 10, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Bruc posted:

A pain in the rear end to get in matches with I wont bother.

I've actually been seeing a bunch less elf now because all the pubbies are melting down about "They RUINED her! :qq:" because they like, actually need to cooperate with a team whatsoever now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm sure its obvious to others but since it's new to me

When using unchained it says that blocking purges overheat. On lower levels you can block a hit or two and have a small decrease in purge. But when you are at high heat and have your guard *broken*, it sends you all the way back down to grey heat. This means you can tank an absolutely absurd amount of damage from bosses, because their big hits knock you back, break your guard, refresh your heat, and send you right back into fighting mode again.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I didn’t know about beam detonate! Excited to try it out when I play tomorrow.

Even just holding down the normal beam attack on bosses I find does a ton of damage. I’ve also just got a flaming sword, which the pyromaniac in me is all :allears: about.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

So... Ironbreaker (maybe dwarf entirely) is broken on the last map. As soon as you go through the skitter gate the first time his passive and all of his talents stop working. You can no longer get temp health or take hits every 20 (or 13) seconds for free. It's actually really lovely and annoying.

Edit: It's the whole class. Same thing happens to ranger, no more ammo drops and no temp health.

Edit 2: Apparently it's the host. Whoever hosts the map loses all their passives and talents on that map.

Frustrated fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 10, 2018

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Radioactive Toy posted:

Best part about this game is starting it up yesterday and joining a game at level 3 and people are already yelling at each other about all of the "agreed upon strats" and berating everyone for not following the optimal plans. On day 1!

On the lowest difficulty.

I just hopped in for my first time, put quick match, immediately some dude starts going "OH MY GOD A LEVEL 1" in voice chat

which was good, who knows how long it would have taken me to immediately forever turn off voice chat otherwise

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Most of my voice chat instances have been pretty tame and just people wanting to yuk it up while murdering rats, but I know that's good luck cuz I've been in other games with lovely people

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've been running Champion with someone playing Handmaiden for the last few hours, and they seemed to do pretty well, kept up on kills/damage, and had some extra utility with the stamina regen aura. Wouldn't write the class off entirely just yet. Although, like with Pyromancer, you might need their level 25 talents before they really shine.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bot PSA on the act 2 boss level: Do not run on the platform around the structure where you get the first grimoire. The bots will hit a spot where they fall and hang off the ledge, but immediately fall right back if you help them up. Rats didn't attack them so we were straight up down two players. This happened on our first time seeing the level.

so we just did the whole thing with two players :black101:

fckin pincushion

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm really liking the executioner's sword for having big wide swings as your default rather than power attacks. It's what you want to be doing most of the time anyway. Its power attacks are huge nasty overhead chops that are great for stormvermin and some of the northmen elites, especially since holding it will let you figure out your all-important spacing.

For ranged, I'm a handgun partisan for life, but the repeater handgun feels decent rather than trash like it used to, so that's cool.

This is also my preferred set up but on Champion I'm feeling like I don't DO much. It maybe my lower powerlevel compared to my team (they're 400ish and I'm 350ish) but they're running Pyro/BH/DrakePistols and blowing poo poo away before I can get into head choppy range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Well poo poo. I really wish you could upgrade the powerlevel of items now.

Doubt I'll be replacing this one for a good long time.