Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Craft a regular sword instead and get choppin’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Do you need to hold down the zoom for the elf long bow to get AP and such, or is everyone pretty much just left clicking away at everything?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do you need to hold down the zoom for the elf long bow to get AP and such, or is everyone pretty much just left clicking away at everything?

You can do a super-short hold with right-click then left-click for the full-damage alt-fire. And yes, doing a zoom before firing increases the damage very significantly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Does Huntsman's active bug out for you guys too? The color contrast effect stays even after the ability is done, and it really fucks with the rest of the playthrough.

On a related note: faster reload or less spread talent for Huntsman? I've been using the less spread talent for a while and I like it, but faster reloads also mean faster weapon switching and everything else, so it feels like I should use that instead and just get better with aiming.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
well you have literally no control over a spread so it's not really getting better at aiming. that said, it depends on if you are using the longbow or not. if you are using the longbow, the reduced spread is a no brainer because kruber's bow is already insane for what is ostensibly a sniper weapon. anything else you can put it up to debate on what you want to do.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Gamerofthegame posted:

One weird thing we discovered is that the flamethrower basically kills up close, where the "stream" effect is, but in the more voluminous cloud it'll just set things on fire. But this also pushes them back and usually staggers them. In a way you can have a ghetto rear end bash for a corridor if you're not running a shield and it might push back twats like serkers or monks, but said friend enjoys grudgeraker the most so I dunno.

You can probably do lots of gimmicky stuff with it, but then you could just be rolling with a doom shotgun

This is the most important thing to remember for the flamestorm staff as well. The primary damage done is point blank only. Further back does damage per tick at the rate of a light tickling, and only in a very small cone centered on your reticule. Things slightly to the side, but still in the cloud, are more or less just being stunned constantly. Not damaged. I also suspect the damage doesn't penetrate. So things behind the thing taking all the damage aren't being hurt for the proper damage. This is much harder to test, though, and the attack dummies are not good for it because they do not behave similarly to enemies in most fashions.

But in understanding this, it just hits home more how terrible the staff is. In theory it's a great control staff, but who cares about control that needs your team to get roasted to take advantage of the stunned enemy? It's usefulness ends the moment team damage is a thing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Coolguye posted:

well you have literally no control over a spread so it's not really getting better at aiming. that said, it depends on if you are using the longbow or not. if you are using the longbow, the reduced spread is a no brainer because kruber's bow is already insane for what is ostensibly a sniper weapon. anything else you can put it up to debate on what you want to do.

Oh yeah, definitely his longbow; otherwise why play Huntsman?

That's a good point with the spread, I guess. Figure maybe I should just live with the lag/attack-dashing Chaos dudes and learn to switch a second ahead of when I'd usually react.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Because the handgun is hilarious when you get good with it? It takes a moment for it to truly zero in it's accuracy, but getting used to taking quick headshots with it feels amazing. The thing will also plow through targets even the long bow has a hard time with.

But yeah there's no reason to play it other than for the pleasure of seeing a rat drop when you SAY drop.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Chalk it up to Veteran, but I find that even a charged longbow bodyshot drops Stormvermin and Maulers in one go. Quick shots also do surprisingly well against an incoming column of Norscans. It's basically the speed difference that makes the longbow the Huntsman's best (and signature unique) weapon, IMO.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
On that note, I've had the longbow on Huntsman oneshot things the Elf's longbow does not at a similar power level. Some targets requiring headshots on the elf to get the one shot where Kruber can body shot them. Granted, you want headshots for the ammo return, but in a pinch this is super valuable to remember. Whatever the draw weight of Kruber's bow is, it's some serious poo poo.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Also, I forget who I was playing with last night, but they were a level 25-30 Sienna with Unchained. They had a beam staff that must have had vent overheat on crit or something along those lines. They basically just beamed non-stop and were invincible. We had a Stormfiend spawn in a terrible spot, right on a small cliff, and 2 of us got knocked off instantly and 1 other got downed. Sienna was able to just stand there in the chaos fire and beam Stormfiend down without moving, healing, stopping the beam, basically just microwave for 60 seconds. An assassin rat came up and wouldn't pounce, presumably because the AI wouldn't enter the chaos fire. Every boss we ran into, including the end of level bosses, became completely trivial.

Hey this is me!

Beam staves that reduce overheat on crit also synnergize with a talent that gives temporary hitpoints on crit.

Being a beam staff is important, because crits are determined on trigger pull, and don't reroll with new damage ticks. So it's all crits or none until you stop.

You get the basic idea from here. Tap the trigger until you get a crit beam, then hold it for as long as possible. Constant crit damage damage + no overheat + constant temp hitpoints (along with the passive 50% damage reduction for Unchained), and you basically get a cheater character.

One game I got an Off Balance block with my primary weapon on an Ogre, into a lucky crit beam on my first beam staff fire, and I 100-0'd him before he could approach to swing at me a second time. It's nuts.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
off balance as a whole is kind of bonkers right now. i really, REALLY like having it on a rapier as saltzpyre, his fencing game is v powerful against elites.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Blunt Instrument posted:

What are you even talking about, it absolutely incinerates everything

Am I not using it right? I point the part that shoots flames at ratties and rotfolk and press the mouse button. Then it spews flame at whatever I'm pointing at and my heat meter goes up,

But...things just don't die quickly to it for some reason? If anything it just seems to set them on fire and make them angry. Then everyone else has to finish them off because they don't actually seem to die from the fire. Maybe it's the level I'm at or the weapon is too low level or the proper illusions are lacking?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fuuka Ayase posted:

On that note, I've had the longbow on Huntsman oneshot things the Elf's longbow does not at a similar power level. Some targets requiring headshots on the elf to get the one shot where Kruber can body shot them. Granted, you want headshots for the ammo return, but in a pinch this is super valuable to remember. Whatever the draw weight of Kruber's bow is, it's some serious poo poo.

I can confirm this. Elf longbow at 400 hero power takes 3 headshots on champ to kill the hooded guys with the 2h axe (marauders?) WITH the bonus damage on headshot talent, while huntsman longbow 1 shots with ease.

I haven't done enough research to check exact damage differences, but it's definitely way higher. But it should be noted that a 400HP elf longbow will kill stormvermin with 1 headshot even on champion. It does a lot of damage.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
You don't want to shoot the Maulers in the head anyway, it's armored. They take less damage there. Maybe Kruber's bow is different in this because of its higher damage per shot but they cannot be killed by the elf longbow to the head without crits.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wait, they take less damage in the head? I knew it was armored to some degree but I didn't realize the difference was that significant. :aaa:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Quick question about the bounty hunter’s talents. His lvl 25 talents have two abilities that say they modify his sidearm, one that changes it to fire 2 bullets in a line instead of one, and one that changes it to a shotgun like spread. But when they say “sidearm” are they referring to his class ability or his ranged weapon?

Or hell, it could even be referring to the pistol & rapier his class can use. “sidearm” is a frustratingly vague word choice.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Taffer posted:

Wait, they take less damage in the head? I knew it was armored to some degree but I didn't realize the difference was that significant. :aaa:

Try shooting a Chaos Warrior in the head with the Elf Longbow. They take damage but it will take around 8-10 arrows (at 600p) to kill him on Champ. If you get two crits, you can drop him though. I can kill Maulers in 2 body shots aimed or unaimed but Headshots they just flinch off.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Quick question about the bounty hunter’s talents. His lvl 25 talents have two abilities that say they modify his sidearm, one that changes it to fire 2 bullets in a line instead of one, and one that changes it to a shotgun like spread. But when they say “sidearm” are they referring to his class ability or his ranged weapon?

Or hell, it could even be referring to the pistol & rapier his class can use. “sidearm” is a frustratingly vague word choice.

The sidearm is his dual-barrel magnum active skill.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Try shooting a Chaos Warrior in the head with the Elf Longbow. They take damage but it will take around 8-10 arrows (at 600p) to kill him on Champ. If you get two crits, you can drop him though. I can kill Maulers in 2 body shots aimed or unaimed but Headshots they just flinch off.

The sidearm is his dual-barrel magnum active skill.

Alright, thanks. I figured that would be it but the wording was vague enough that I wanted to be certain. Now I guess I need to decide on which one I want once I eventually hit that level. The cool down reduction sounds great but I’d love a shotgun blast as him for crowd control.

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

AndyElusive posted:

Am I not using it right? I point the part that shoots flames at ratties and rotfolk and press the mouse button. Then it spews flame at whatever I'm pointing at and my heat meter goes up,

But...things just don't die quickly to it for some reason? If anything it just seems to set them on fire and make them angry. Then everyone else has to finish them off because they don't actually seem to die from the fire. Maybe it's the level I'm at or the weapon is too low level or the proper illusions are lacking?

Something's definitely hosed with it, it effortlessly roasts entire hordes just holding down M1. We are talking about the actual flamethrower here and not the shotgun mode on the drake pistols right? In case you mean the one on the pistols, it's mostly for CC and it should instantaneously kill a few rats to go with the ones that get knocked on their rear end and catch fire.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

you need to charge the cannon by holding right click, then while holding right click press left click to shoot a continuous flame. if you're just using m1 it shoots out a little fart of heat.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
A headshot on the mauler with Kruber's rifle will knock them on their rear end though!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The weapon I'm asking about is the Drakegun. It fires a burst of flame with the M1 and from what I can gather, when you press M2 you sort of hold it outwards more and you can release longer clouds of fire. It's never a steady stream like a flame thrower or anything like that.

It's probably too low level, but I'm running Vet difficulty missions and right now even with a Blue rank weapon (whatever rank that is) it feels like I'm just sort of lightly toasting everything instead of melting them with infernos of death.

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

In that case your hero power is just too low, like if you shoot the maxed out gout of flame at the chaff enemies they should p much be vaporized

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

the only weapon that gets more "omff" from holding it down is salty's rapier, everything else you can just flick

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gamerofthegame posted:

the only weapon that gets more "omff" from holding it down is salty's rapier, everything else you can just flick

technically the war pick too

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Ad by Khad posted:

I'm not even stuck in veteran and I'll be the first to say that an entire page of replies with nothing but "gently caress off" would not be enough shaming for the turbo-nerds who difficulty-shame others

You've taken an unfortunate turn, VT2 thread

Especially since it's bring done in a failed attempt to refute the fact that ranged is generally overpowered in this game. Astoundingly pathetic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Alright, thanks. I figured that would be it but the wording was vague enough that I wanted to be certain. Now I guess I need to decide on which one I want once I eventually hit that level. The cool down reduction sounds great but I’d love a shotgun blast as him for crowd control.
Pretty sure that at baseline, the sidearm fires one slug and one shotgun blast, just based on how it looks on the targets in the keep and how it impacts enemies. The upgrades just let you make it a lot more specialized. I'm still not there yet, but I can't see picking anything up besides "faster recharge" because I like having that flexibility.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I kind of wish that if you charged longer you'd get a bonus to your swing. But even if they added that, they should still keep it where you can do whatever you want and still be in an ideal situation. Having the bonuses would just make positioning or timing more enjoyable or satisfying.

Don't tell me you don't want to rocket an entire swarm of rats with your dawi hammer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cowcaster posted:

technically the war pick too

I dunno they said 'weapon'.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I dunno they said 'weapon'.

lol

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I wonder what the Mod Tools will be. With loot and experience tracked server side, will it be only UI stuff? I'd love to mess with the talents, but that probably won't be allowed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lunethex posted:

I posted in discord, lazy quoting.

I saw it happen once, was never able to redo it. Strong attacks can push him backwards too when hes up top.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I plan on making many fantastic mods, for example a mod that tells you the total monetary value of the army you destroyed

Dazzo
Jun 22, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Playing as Iron Bardin with double drakefire pistols is rad as gently caress and has so far been my favorite ranged weapon. You're like a tiny Sienna. It also frees up pretty much all the ammo drops for Satlz, Kruger and Kerillian.

Speaking of Drakefire, the flamethrower seems kind of...underpowered? Fire damage over time seems kind of weak, even against hordes of slave rats.

The flamethrower is awesome for hordes. If you position yourself so the horde will go through a choke point, you can solo the horde with no damage to the party on vet. I have not tried champion difficulty so I don't know if that holds true there.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Dazzo posted:

The flamethrower is awesome for hordes. If you position yourself so the horde will go through a choke point, you can solo the horde with no damage to the party on vet. I have not tried champion difficulty so I don't know if that holds true there.

It does

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

toasterwarrior posted:

Does Huntsman's active bug out for you guys too? The color contrast effect stays even after the ability is done, and it really fucks with the rest of the playthrough.

On a related note: faster reload or less spread talent for Huntsman? I've been using the less spread talent for a while and I like it, but faster reloads also mean faster weapon switching and everything else, so it feels like I should use that instead and just get better with aiming.

That's why I immediately tune out anything about Huntsman. I don't care how good it is, the straight up bug that your vision stays weird after for the REST OF THE MAP is unplayable for me

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I plan on making many fantastic mods, for example a mod that tells you the total monetary value of the army you destroyed

Please make a point total option per the tabletop rules :)

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Whats the best elf class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Grondoth posted:

I wonder what the Mod Tools will be. With loot and experience tracked server side, will it be only UI stuff? I'd love to mess with the talents, but that probably won't be allowed.

yeah i'd have to wonder how they hope to do that. i'd guess its probably just custom map tools would be the most likely? i cant see mods really being popular if everything is serverside tracked, and then if you did do mod-based quick--matches it'd be a shitshow since you'd probably just have 1 or 2 mods that everyone would have to have the same set of mods installed, and still mostly dead playerpool. idk.