Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

orange sky posted:

I thought a normal distribution would be imposed or something.. That'd make sense, with tuition/scholarships tied to your percentile or something

it's extremely common for parents who haven't themselves attended college to be ignorant of critical college-related things their children would need to know in the first place, like the application process or financial aid or ACT/SAT testing

compound this by such a household being further disadvantaged though things like unfamiliarity or lack of access to things like college entrance testing prep, prospective campus touring, student extracurriculars to make the child a more viable candidate, or even knowing the names of the various in-state colleges available to "intermediate" students

one of the most reliable predictors for a child's academic success is how many books their household owns. the upper limit is something shamefully low at like 14+

now iterate all this again but onto college graduates to see what type of economic background first-year medical students tend to come from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

quote:

* 100,000+ millennials who expect a ~$1.1M inheritance.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

(example: help a Chinese person out in tough times and they will owe you a life debt, not only being loyal and respectful to you for the rest of their life but also instructing their children to do likewise)

did he confuse chinese people and wookiees

DSLAM
Apr 4, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

:cmon:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

All that money is gonna be hoovered up by healthcare costs as the Boomers replace themselves with robot parts and live forever

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

orange sky posted:

I've always been convinced by movies and TV shows that even the Ivy league colleges had very good distribution between rich and poor people due to generous scholarships

Is this absolutely false?

the actual Ivy Leagues are actually pretty generous about financial aid to deeply poor students who sufficiently outperform the school's academic requirements. but the actual number of poor people they let in is actually very low, especially compared to the countless rich failures whose application is accompanied by a million-dollar donation to the endowment. they'll occasionally let a high-performing poor in, but these are still basically elite adult daycares for rich kids, so the distribution is hilariously bad

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's free if your parents earn under 6 figgies and also basically impossible to get in if your parents earn under 6 figgies

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Grand Prize Winner posted:

gently caress, I had a Life Debt joke all queued up.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Yeah, it's free if your parents earn under 6 figgies and also basically impossible to get in if your parents earn under 6 figgies

free college for poors?? ? Lucky Ducky strikes again

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Uncle Wemus posted:

Is there anything that could stop Amazon's reign of terror

anime was right posted:

one slicey boi

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Like 5% of the country actually qualifies as middle class, the rest of us are peasants. Even if we own refrigerators

Eh, I'd say 10-20%. The top 10-20% is basically the percent of people who actually have a non-negligible amount of wealth (that isn't tied up in their house, anyways), unless they're just living incredibly stupidly and trying to own property in Manhattan or whatever.

Everyone below the top 20% has almost no wealth, which is why I think the top 20% is a useful statistic in addition to the top 1%, just for the purposes of not only emphasizing how much the rich have, but also emphasizing what the bottom ~80% of people don't have.

quote:

A 26 year old middle school teacher making $55,000 a year plus her $250,000 a year VP of Marketing wife

This is my favorite. To make it even more ridiculous, it should have said "A 19 year old McDonald's cashier, and her $400,000 a year Goldman Sachs MD wife."

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 23:12 on May 3, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Broke: economic pressure forcing young women to marry rich men
Woke: economic pressure forcing young women to marry rich women

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's progressive, because the old lech is a woman.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What if, and hear me out on this one, the golddiggers were lesbians

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This fits exactly what I'd expect. The public high school I went to is probably the perfect example of "the kind of school that sends non-rich people to ivies," and it seems pretty doable provided you have a very comfortable upbringing, with a family that makes enough money to provide you with ample extracurricular opportunities, test prep, etc. But if you don't at least have the money to do that extra stuff, it's going to be damned near impossible. In the end, every one of the people I knew in HS who got into an ivy, or ivy-equivalent (like MIT or whatever), came from at least a six-figures family with one or both parents working in some professional career. And this is a pretty good sample size of at least 20 people. Getting into those schools is so competitive that a high GPA and perfect SAT scores aren't enough, and those are the only things you can really argue that the student has semi-direct control over (and even then, the well-off student has a huge advantage through test-prep services, etc).

The sad thing is that a school like Harvard has no excuse at all. I can at least sort of understand other schools saying "well, we need the donation money," but Harvard doesn't. They have a loving huge endowment. There is no reason not to just flat-out mandate some sort of quota on the percent of well-off people who can get in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Reminds me of this article by a Harvard admissions interviewer.

Yeah, it's not enough to just be a bright kid who buckles down and works hard and gets good grades. You also need the the GPA-weighted advanced classes, the extracurriculars, the test prep, and the *~experiences~*.

The really creepy thing is the cottage industry that exists to give these achievement androids stuff that makes them seem normal and well-rounded. If you want to be a billionaire tyrant, it really helps to spend some time doing charity work or going backpacking, preferably in a faraway country at immense cost.

And then there's the stuff that no one should be doing just to look good for college admissions, like starting a nonprofit organization. If you started a nonprofit before you were old enough to buy cigarettes, you're more likely a sociopath than a good citizen.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Gotta demonstrate that noblesse oblige

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

there is no reason not to just flat-out mandate some sort of quota on the percent of well-off people who can get in.

uh, those schools exist to polish the next generation of elites, letting in mostly well-off people in is the point of the excercise

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Reminds me of this article by a Harvard admissions interviewer.

Yeah, it's not enough to just be a bright kid who buckles down and works hard and gets good grades. You also need the the GPA-weighted advanced classes, the extracurriculars, the test prep, and the *~experiences~*.

The really creepy thing is the cottage industry that exists to give these achievement androids stuff that makes them seem normal and well-rounded. If you want to be a billionaire tyrant, it really helps to spend some time doing charity work or going backpacking, preferably in a faraway country at immense cost.

And then there's the stuff that no one should be doing just to look good for college admissions, like starting a nonprofit organization. If you started a nonprofit before you were old enough to buy cigarettes, you're more likely a sociopath than a good citizen.

sounds like an effective filtering system for the bourgeois class if you ask me

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

StashAugustine posted:

Gotta demonstrate that noblesse oblige

That scene in Altered Carbon where the rich guy ritually kills himself to give lovely charity to infected people.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The sad thing is that a school like Harvard has no excuse at all. I can at least sort of understand other schools saying "well, we need the donation money," but Harvard doesn't. They have a loving huge endowment. There is no reason not to just flat-out mandate some sort of quota on the percent of well-off people who can get in.

can't just let anyone into a school like Harvard. they have a reputation to uphold, after all

colleges deeply want to seem as exclusive and selective as possible, it's good for their reputation and creates a perception of quality. also, the whole point of these elite schools is to maintain the fake meritocracy and reinforce the illusion that rich people only rule the country because they're very smart and have great educations. having a separate set of standards for poor people would go against both those goals

the income distribution of Harvard students is never gonna match the general population anyway, barring luxury space communism. even being able to drop everything in your life and go halfway across the country to attend college for four years is a privilege many people just don't have, even if tuition is waived

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zeal posted:

uh, those schools exist to polish the next generation of elites, letting in mostly well-off people in is the point of the excercise

yeah the point of ivy league schools is socialization of the ruling class among themselves, you cant exactly do that if theres a lot of poors

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

That scene in Altered Carbon where the rich guy ritually kills himself to give lovely charity to infected people.

Is that show good? I've been jonesing for more existentialist cyberpunk

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Main Paineframe posted:

check out all the examples he links to of people who easily earn lots of money, they're all his articles and they're all incredibly bad

my favorite is the Chinese art student one because it's super racist

it starts off complaining about how rich Chinese immigrants don't fit the Asian stereotype and how their "nouveau rich" attitudes are bothersome to their wealthy neighbors because they don't have the proper humility, and then proceeds to teach the reader some (mostly racist) tricks on how to understand the minds of the Chinese in order to make money off them (example: help a Chinese person out in tough times and they will owe you a life debt, not only being loyal and respectful to you for the rest of their life but also instructing their children to do likewise)

That's WOOKIEES not Chinese people.

Edit: I am going to rip all your arms off while yelling.

KiteAuraan has issued a correction as of 01:16 on May 4, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

StashAugustine posted:

it starts strong then nosedives off a cliff

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I enjoyed it even though it does go off the rails for last quarter of the series.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

StashAugustine posted:

It's got a lot of good but also a lot of modern tv clichés randomly inserted in. If you can stomach uneven stuff, it's good.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

orange sky posted:

I thought a normal distribution would be imposed or something.. That'd make sense, with tuition/scholarships tied to your percentile or something
There are two big things that are incredibly important to prestigious universities - producing doctoral students who publish stuff with the university's name on it, and more importantly, stuff like this
http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/03/investing/harvard-record-gift-400-million-john-paulson/index.html?iid=EL

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

There are two big things that are incredibly important to prestigious universities - producing doctoral students who publish stuff with the university's name on it, and more importantly, stuff like this
http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/03/investing/harvard-record-gift-400-million-john-paulson/index.html?iid=EL

Why in god's name would someone think "hmm, I have a lot of money, which university should I give it to? I know, I should give it to the one with a loving huge endowment that will literally never run out of money!"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Why in god's name would someone think "hmm, I have a lot of money, which university should I give it to? I know, I should give it to the one with a loving huge endowment that will literally never run out of money!"

because the people whose opinions you care about and that you want to impress aren't going to public universities, duh

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

these arent so much donations as they are buying a building that has your name on it on the campus of harvard

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ytalya, do you not get that the rich are insane

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I can't help but chip in with my personal experience even though I'm basically getting in line for the guillotine.

I went to an "elite" private high school because my dad was the art teacher there (between myself and my siblings, the amount of free tuition we got was three or four times the total wages he earned in almost 30 years there. They changed the policy after us). Then I went to an Ivy. Thanks to money my grandfather set aside a long time ago, I was lucky enough to come away with only a five figure debt. Anyways, I'm obviously super privileged, although I was surrounded by people far richer than me until after college.

What I wanted to share is, the proportion of assholes was definitely higher in high school than in college. Don't get me wrong, college was full of rich assholes, but probably 90% rather than 99% like my high school. Maybe because it was Brown and not Harvard, but my friends were often getting arrested disrupting Brown Corporation meetings or dumping red paint in the lobby of the Textron building downtown (I wasn't radicalized myself until after graduation when I started actually interacting with the local community, but I guess I knew what was up enough to hang out with the protesters rather than the other nerds. But yeah, I wish I had joined them). And yes, most of them were extremely privileged like their classmates but at least they were aware of it. Later I did my PhD at a much larger public state school in a blue state and the radical left community was much smaller.

I don't know what my point is, I guess I originally wanted to say Not All Ivies, but that's loving stupid. They're all terrible, we hated it at the time, and I shouldn't let myself forget that. They do produce some class traitors, though. (whether or not I'm one of them... I suppose that will not be up to me)

Also, gently caress them for making work-study kids continuously call begging for money. You're not a charity, stop pretending to be one.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i have a small soft spot in my heart for voucher programs purely on the basis of how much it made some parents at the catholic school i went to melt down about poors and browns getting in

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

well, if they make catholics mad then i suppose they can't be all bad

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im in grad school at a public ivy and ive talked to several professors who have also taught at ivy league and other private schools who unanimously say the students at them are pains in the asses to deal with

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

behold

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I didn't finish high school

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

I loved the show but on basis of what the Altered Carbon thread explained to me, the books (which I haven't read) had a much more well defined, more distinctly left wing narrative and core character convinction, which the show somewhat diluted with vague spooky bullshit but particularly at the very end. It was stull fun as hell with really strong sylism and production for being a netflix schlock. Leaps and bounds better than any of the Marvel episodic bullshit, heck possibly the very best Netflix Original so far, but not quite as good as the Expanse or Westworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

They made Kshama look cool as gently caress

Don't know how they managed to gently caress that up