Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ilmucche posted:

But the counterpoint is that doing what the cop says reduces that chance, whereas starting to fight the cop and running increases it. It's a poo poo situation, but there are ways to make it worse.

Although a part of me agrees that there are certain risk factors to getting up in a cop's face (if you're not white) that can very easily be avoided, another part of me almost feels like it's victim blaming to tell people "Hey just submit to the homicidal authority figures." Like yes it's survival instinct, but it feels hosed up that it's survival instinct in the first place.

On less horrible news, the girl that Permit Patty called the cops on got 4 tickets to Disneyland, so yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah it's sht, and slowly it seems.like things are changing? Maybe not in the USA.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
The cops' goal is to kill you. If you "just do you what they say holy gently caress" you are working toward your own death by cop.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GrandpaPants posted:

On less horrible news, the girl that Permit Patty called the cops on got 4 tickets to Disneyland, so yay.

Let's see her try to sell water in Disneyland: she'll end up in the Disney secret jail, being beaten with rubber hoses by Goofy & Donald quicker than you can say 'Uncle Walt is a popsicle'

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I know this is really hard but... some cops are dumb... and some people are dumb. Neither group is 100% perfect. Pretty basic concept.

Cops should be held to a higher standard than a civilian. If you have a position of authority, there is also responsibility. Even if someone is angry, if they get shot just for being angry (and brown) then the one at fault is still the drat cop.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This is someones fetish isn't it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Slime posted:

Cops should be held to a higher standard than a civilian. If you have a position of authority, there is also responsibility. Even if someone is angry, if they get shot just for being angry (and brown) then the one at fault is still the drat cop.

You have to draw the line somewhere. Am I allowed to punch cops in the face with impunity? I'm just being angry, the cop is the one who should be held to the standard, not me!

You shouldn't be shot, but you should absolutely get knocked to the ground and arrested or maced or tased if you start to beat up on a cop.

And its not about standards. The point is if cops are already dangerous to be around, loving with them only increases the danger. Its all the more reason NOT to gently caress with cops. There is no scenario where loving with the cops makes you safer. Do you think you're gonna knock the cops unconscious and then get away with it or something? Punch him enough times and he changes his mind and decides not to shoot you after all? it just doesn't make any sense.

This is a dumb derail anyways back to schadenfeude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

You have to draw the line somewhere. Am I allowed to punch cops in the face with impunity? I'm just being angry, the cop is the one who should be held to the standard, not me!

You shouldn't be shot, but you should absolutely get knocked to the ground and arrested or maced or tased if you start to beat up on a cop.

And its not about standards. The point is if cops are already dangerous to be around, loving with them only increases the danger. Its all the more reason NOT to gently caress with cops. There is no scenario where loving with the cops makes you safer. Do you think you're gonna knock the cops unconscious and then get away with it or something? Punch him enough times and he changes his mind and decides not to shoot you after all? it just doesn't make any sense.
Currently the line is "being a PoC". That's where cops drew it. If you're over the line, you are, with zero exaggeration, in lethal danger from simply encountering the police.

Zaphod42 posted:

"I've said my piece and the world doesn't need to hear yours"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Aramoro posted:

This is someones fetish isn't it?

A rhetorical question, always.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

Not to mention that for liability reasons, cops are basically trained that rather than firing a warning shot and trying to get people to drop their guns, if they feel threatened enough to fire one shot, they should just unload the weapon and shoot to kill. Because its easier to argue against a corpse in court than it is to argue against someone bleeding on the stand. Sad but true. Also you've got a "better us than them" mentality.

On the other hand, how can you live in the US in post-9/11 era and not know that if the cops start yelling poo poo at you, resisting is only going to make your life a billion times worse. Just do what they say holy gently caress.

A lot of people seem completely bewildered that cops would force-ably arrest them. Like because of the constitution cops have to ask you to kindly arrest yourself and follow them to the station or something. How ignorant can you be? Watch an episode of law and order or cops sometime at the very least.

https://www.policeone.com/use-of-force/articles/3468104-Shooting-center-mass-Im-told-we-kill-everyone/

I love this article because the cop who wrote it acts as if the idea of non-lethal shooting were some sort of alien concept he had not considered until foreign cops told him about it.

Also the line, said by a foreign cop to a visiting American cop: "Oh, I forgot, you are an American. You kill everyone!"

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Zaphod42 posted:

Not to mention that for liability reasons, cops are basically trained that rather than firing a warning shot and trying to get people to drop their guns, if they feel threatened enough to fire one shot, they should just unload the weapon and shoot to kill. Because its easier to argue against a corpse in court than it is to argue against someone bleeding on the stand. Sad but true. Also you've got a "better us than them" mentality.

On the other hand, how can you live in the US in post-9/11 era and not know that if the cops start yelling poo poo at you, resisting is only going to make your life a billion times worse. Just do what they say holy gently caress.

A lot of people seem completely bewildered that cops would force-ably arrest them. Like because of the constitution cops have to ask you to kindly arrest yourself and follow them to the station or something. How ignorant can you be? Watch an episode of law and order or cops sometime at the very least.

Training is usually the bare minimum to cover whatever the insurance company that the department has requires them to have go get liability coverage. And a lot of times they wont require de escalation training or crisis intervention training for everyone since the insurance company doesn't care. Then at the end of the day it's cheaper for a department to have some dipshit come in and talk about being a warrior for an 8 hour seminar instead of renting a shoothouse and putting everyone through scenarios requiring de escalation. It's also not fair to question why someone being arrested isnt acting right, they could be undergoing a medical or psychological emergency or the stress of the situation is causing them to panic. It's up to the officer to recognize that someone is in crisis and address it, not escalate the situation to the point where deadly force is required. For example I am sure the woman in the van was showing some signs of crisis and the choice of pleading guilty or going to court was freaking her out. If the officer recognized it and just cut her loose right then the situation might not have gone the way it did.

B-Rock452 has a new favorite as of 11:09 on Jun 26, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

"I donated her $30 the other day and say her outfit looked cute - she said I was a sweetheart. Things are looking up for me(and down for you)."

This is on par with incels as far as levels of broken brains go

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cucked by her husband lol

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zaphod42 posted:

People should be able to punch you in the face with impunity

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well this is just fantastic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

This is the hottest take I've ever seen.

"Cops are in a position of authority with the legal ability to kill. They should be held to a higher standard than average people."

"SO YOU'RE SAYING YOU SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO LEGALLY PUNCH COPS HUH?"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You can stop with the derail on the cops now thanks

e: I am just back from holidays so I will have to read this derail

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why can't creepy weirdos go back to falling in love with strippers instead of Twitch streamers? I at least understand falling in love with strippers because they put their naked boobies in your face.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have read through and queued a longer probation

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why can't creepy weirdos go back to falling in love with strippers instead of Twitch streamers? I at least understand falling in love with strippers because they put their naked boobies in your face.

They're shut-ins so they don't have to worry about contact with freaking bros and jocks. It's rule to be a streamer over stripper though because you can do it from home, the creeps are nowhere near you, a lot of the shut-ins have way more disposable income.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I get the feeling that these are the sorts of people who find the task of grocery shopping to be daunting as gently caress, and thus Blue Apron exists. I don't think our assumptions about normality intersect with their lives.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Then fall in love with a Hooters waitress or a pizza delivery driver. I just don't get it. They play video games on tv.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EmmyOk posted:

They're shut-ins so they don't have to worry about contact with freaking bros and jocks. It's rule to be a streamer over stripper though because you can do it from home, the creeps are nowhere near you, a lot of the shut-ins have way more disposable income.

I’ve had a lot of trouble breaking into that industry.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

That was my first thought, it seems exactly like my buddy who's always giving his money away to strippers and then hurt when it turns out they don't actually love him and maybe, just maybe, the nice things they were saying to him was because he was shoving hundred dollar bills in their panties.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey, I'll be doing that again one of these days, so stay tuned!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Then fall in love with a Hooters waitress or a pizza delivery driver. I just don't get it. They play video games on tv.
It's attention. To a lot of people Twitch isn't just watching someone play video games, it's a community. Especially the smaller streamers are often very inclusive and spend a lot of time interacting with their subscribers.

I'm sure there have been written articles on this sorta stuff, it's pretty interesting.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

because my twitchwife is too classy to show her boobs like some hoor and she lurve me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Every 6 months I get reminded that ASMR streaming is a thing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Samuringa posted:

"I donated her $30 the other day and say her outfit looked cute - she said I was a sweetheart. Things are looking up for me(and down for you)."

This is on par with incels as far as levels of broken brains go

"I put all these quarters in the sex machine WHY ISN'T IT WORKING :mad:"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CommonShore posted:

Every 6 months I get reminded that ASMR streaming is a thing.

...do I want to know?

Edit: It's like a shivers down the spine feeling? And people stream it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

...do I want to know?

Edit: It's like a shivers down the spine feeling? And people stream it?

I think it's girls with lots of cleavage talking softly and making weird noises. Honestly, given some of the stuff folks are jerking it to on the internet, it hardly rates as weird.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's also the classic "hot girl likes game; hot girl will like me because I like game (and give her things)"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think it's girls with lots of cleavage talking softly and making weird noises. Honestly, given some of the stuff folks are jerking it to on the internet, it hardly rates as weird.

Apparently it's noises that trigger sensations in the spine. So... Cool, whatever floats your boat and makes you donate them big twitch bucks

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/393793-nail-supplier-who-voted-for-trump-blames-him-for-layoffs-asks

quote:

An executive for the largest U.S. nail producer who voted for President Trump said he is so dismayed by the president's trade policies that he is lobbying a Democratic senator for help.

George Skarich, vice president of sales for Missouri-based Mid Continent Nail Corporation, told The New York Times that his nail company could soon go out of business.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

"I voted for a leopard to eat my face and now it's eating my face! Please help me!"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That executive is gonna maybe have to cut down from four yachts to three but the people really getting hosed are the schmucks being hit with layoffs. Not v good imo

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
There is a cop thread by the way.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832675

Anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_m4-ed0tmU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

It's attention. To a lot of people Twitch isn't just watching someone play video games, it's a community. Especially the smaller streamers are often very inclusive and spend a lot of time interacting with their subscribers.

I'm sure there have been written articles on this sorta stuff, it's pretty interesting.

Yeah I occasionally watch Nerdcubed (don't judge me) and while his YouTube LPs are just standard "say wacky things over game" the Twitch stands are like two thirds his wife giving nerds basic life advice.

I'm not actually knocking it, it's strangely sweet, but at the same time there's this whole "donate to us and we'll provide you with the absolute base level of human interaction" which makes me quite sad for everyone involved.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

DiggityDoink posted:

"I voted for a leopard to eat my face and now it's eating my face! Please help me!"

No dammit you're not supposed to gently caress me over, just everyone else! This wasn't the plan!

It's like the articles I read about Trumpist farmers whining that "I didn't mean get rid of MY illegal labor, I need them for the harvest!"

Buck Wildman has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It sucks that it's the mechanic saying sorry over and over when the cops were dicks.