Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Adiabatic posted:

tetrapyloctomy I'd buy you a beer in exchange for your stories.

I also need to know the place where I can read your tales of :stonk: and :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I dunno if everyone reads Sgt Fox's build thread (and you should, cause it's good) but you should at least do yourself the favor of reading this post.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

angryrobots posted:

I dunno if everyone reads Sgt Fox's build thread (and you should, cause it's good) but you should at least do yourself the favor of reading this post.

That is awesome geekery.

Speaking of which, when Tet Jr is cranky, sometimes the only thing that works is putting him in the stroller snd walking him around the house. So I've been reading a good bit, since it's all I can do (though I guess I could watch poo poo on my phone). I've been reading John D. Clark's Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants, and it is fantastic. He's not shy with the chemistry, but you don't need more than minimal knowledge to be able to follow the often-hilarious stories.

quote:

Came the day of the first trial. The propellants were hydrazine and WFNA. We were all gathered around waiting for the balloon to go up, when Dr. Milton Scheer (Uncle Milty) warned, "Hold it - the acid valve is leaking!"

"Go ahead - fire anyway!" Paul ordered.

I looked around and signaled to my own gang, and we started backing away gently, like so many cats with wet feet.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryrobots posted:

:vince:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

angryrobots posted:

Oh, hey, I didn't know he had a thread!
I've been a fan of his for a long time just because of the Mazda manuals on his site.

That first post is epic. I don't think the manual really says that, do you?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Got about seven minutes of work done this morning at work before the network poo poo itself.

Looks like it's shitposting o'clock!

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Hey guys. Come to my birthday party thread and post some cool car pics and car music and stuff.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862998

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

For the love of god people when you call someone on speaker phone tell the loving person you're calling that they are on speaker, and if you fail to do so don't get butthurt when the person you call says something someone else in the room didn't want to hear. Jesus loving Christ :argh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Honestly, speakerphones are the loving worst.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honestly, speakerphones are the loving worst.

I got a scammer call once while playing COD world at war. I set the phone on speaker right next to the tv and cranked the volume on the game. He stayed with me for most of an assault against the nazis but then I lost him right about where that last tiger tank shows up near the barn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The new Corolla hatch looks pretty nifty.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Has your wife ever dressed up as a sexy Nam GI and told you to start the next Tet Offensive?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The new Corolla hatch looks pretty nifty.

You still couldn't talk me into one over a Mazda3. I like that Toyota is steadily pulling their head out of their rear end but that loving front end

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Has your wife ever dressed up as a sexy Nam GI and told you to start the next Tet Offensive?

... given that my in-laws fled Vietnam is the middle of the night, tearing my mother-in-law's family apart, no.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NumbersMatching320 posted:

You still couldn't talk me into one over a Mazda3. I like that Toyota is steadily pulling their head out of their rear end but that loving front end

Oh yeah, if it was either or the 3 wins hands down. Heck the rear of the Corolla looks a lot like the second gen 3.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Darchangel posted:

Oh, hey, I didn't know he had a thread!
I've been a fan of his for a long time just because of the Mazda manuals on his site.

That first post is epic. I don't think the manual really says that, do you?

My copy does! :colbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Toyota should use Mr Magoo and Helen Keller in their next ad campaign.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A dinosaur followed me home today (also known as I made a dumb drunk Facebook Marketplace purchase)

If it was an x86 version, it'd be pretty awesome. But it's an older PPC version. Power Mac G5, 1.8 GHz single core, 1GB RAM (shipped with 512MB), 250GB HDD (shipped with 160GB), OSX 10.4.11 (dunno what it shipped with, but it shows a copyright date of 2007, when the machine was probably built in 03, or early 04). Taking a crash course in how to upgrade it to 10.5.x via flash drive, so I can at least get a semi-recent web browser on it (there's a couple of browsers I've never heard of that are based on a modernish Mozilla engine, but they require OSX 10.5.x).

I know absolutely nothing about OSX. Or Macs in general.

I'm only out $20 for the whole thing (computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse). I'm surprised how zippy OSX is on it, this thing is nearly old enough to drive. But it's quick and responsive, Safari is just useless on it because it's so out of date. Quickly discovered Chrome won't work on it.

I think I got a hernia lifting the drat thing.

Also, the seller left it logged in to an admin account, but with all settings password locked. And apparently OSX didn't introduce a recovery mode until 10.7. :argh: I managed to get it to do the out of box experience using step 3 here, so I at least have an admin account side by side with the PO's account. I'd prefer to just wipe it, but I'm totally loving lost in OSX. Right now I'm just following Youtube guides on how to do an update to 10.5.x via a flash drive (since I don't have any dual layer blank media sitting around, and even if I did, I don't think the installed DVD-RW is dual-layer capable).

BraveUlysses posted:

ugh i'm going to have to switch from FIOS at my current residence to Comcast at my new place :smith:

FiOS to Spectrum next month myself. :sigh:

The download speeds will be higher (200mbit vs my 150), but the upload will murder my totally legal Linux ISO torrent ratios (and I'll have to cut off access to my Plex server) (20 up vs my current 150).

tetrapyloctomy posted:

When the sample is composed of "women presenting to the emergency department for isolated pelvic discomfort," the pre-test probability of this physical exam finding is exceptionally high. I call this "Toxic Box Syndrome."

(Most pelvic exams are not this bad. But the combination of an otherwise attractive, clean-appearing young women plus surprise necrotizing coochitis just makes me so glad I was careful in college.)

That's it. I'm 100% gay again.

brb guys dumping GF and cancelling move to Austin

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I want to buy any current gen Mazda 100% based on that gorgeous red color they have. I would paint my M3 in that color and it would be tits. Mazda: making red cars great again.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
After a couple weeks of vacation, I got thrown into the deep end at work and got a VERY harsh reminder of how much I loathe the service industry. Even just being in the building gives me severe anxiety now
Thank god that school has been going substantially better than it usually does for me. I might finally be back on the path to finishing the associate's degree that I started in 2012

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

STR posted:

A dinosaur followed me home today (also known as I made a dumb drunk Facebook Marketplace purchase)

The best thing for a G5 is a gutting and using the case. Because while I'm not a fan of using OSX, the case is drat, drat beautiful. I lusted after those cases while in high school.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's likely what will eventually happen to this thing, or I may try to track down MacOS 9 and do something retroish with it (if it'll run OS9). Still, I wanted to learn OSX, and was kinda hoping it was a newer x86 version (PO claimed "don't know specs or model", but for $20 for a complete system, with a free hernia included, and he was home during my break between jobs...).

Whoever designed the keyboard needs to be strung up though. It's on par with some of the worst laptop keyboards I've used. So little tactile feedback, so cramped for my sausage-finger hands.

The monitor trips me out... one single cable for USB, DVI, and power. Great until you upgrade the video card (which is a pretty ancient Geforce FX 5200... AGP, even, when the machine itself does support PCI-X :argh:)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dark

Magics

Are

in play

Also I had a geforce fx5200. That was a trooper of a card, carried me through like two years. The follow-up I bought was a 6800, which was also kind of the gold standard for the years following. I got mine in 2004 I believe? Somewhere around there. Installed it to play WoW.

And for the audiophiles out there, trust me, I enjoy audio. Amazon shows at least two headphone purchases a year since I started the account in 2006. Dad did high-end A/V repair while I was growing up. I've got a pair of electrostatic headphones in a box waiting to be repaired, and have purchased at least one (1) Fiio headphone amplifier because both my new and NOS Koss Pro/4AAs have like 250 ohm impedance.

But anything that annoys audiophiles is a win in my book.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 13, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lesson learned about a G5: If you remove the side panel with it running, YOU WILL ANGER THE APPLE GODS

All the fans ramped up to "taxi this poo poo down the runway" speed, and a bright red LED lit up. At least it didn't try to shut down. I just wanted to see the inside. :smith:

Nice execution inside, visibly.. no visible wiring beyond the very bare minimums, and a clear plastic cover that has to be removed before it'll go into gently caress YOU FANS ARE NOW HELICOPTERS mode. Extra set of SATA cables (power + data) run.

e: seems like it's just one fan that goes into gently caress you mode (the one cooling the HDD?).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 13, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you reelly wanna be a hipster you gotta get one of these, cassettes are for normies.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Enourmo posted:

If you reelly wanna be a hipster you gotta get one of these, cassettes are for normies.

Yeah, but money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KHSz9Gi-II

Also I discovered that if I take the phone (!) that I'm feeding the audio into the (unsynced) tape deck with, and put it on a wireless charging pad, I get a kind of weird resonance background hum that changes based on how bright my computer monitor is at the time (the monitor has an extremely noisy driver somewhere in it). Even better.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus Tittyfucking Cum Rag Christ, Apple. Why do you make it so difficult to upgrade an OS?!?

The actual OS upgrade ships on a dual layer DVD-ROM. Uh... it looks like the optical drive in this one isn't dual layer capable (not that I have any blank DL media laying around anyway).

Okay, try multiple workarounds to get it to boot from USB. Nope, nope, gently caress nope, even a bigger gently caress nope. Even in Open Firmware, it wouldn't recognize any USB devices beyond the keyboard. :fuckoff:

Finally ran across a video on youtube of someone who figured out that you could snag an OS image and throw it on another SATA drive, so long as you did it via disk manager's restore tool. Oh hey, I have an old laptop SATA drive sitting here. I'll give it a shot.

:argh:

Now I see why so many people gut this beautiful case to put a PC in it.

e: 7 minutes later and it's down to "about 27 minutes"

e: it's long done, but it found a bajillion software updates to do (vs "no updates available" on Tiger). Probably just gonna go to bed while that runs.

final edit: gently caress it this thing is getting some variant of (non-OSX) Linux. It's PAINFUL with 10.5.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 13, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm about to ressurect a c. 2010 macbook pro at work. Well, sorta, it's alive but running an old version of OSX and has its quirks. Have to find a mouse that doesn't cause it to go apeshit and shut down first because the trackpad is dead and I ain't fixing it but 9 out of 10 mice cause the machine to die. Hopefully it'll run Sierra or High Sierra, or at least El Capitan once I get it sorted on the "Nope, not this mouse!" front. This exercise is so that I can learn how to use OSX as intended instead of just always bee-lining to a terminal and using it like a unix instead. We had a customer come in with a slow machine the other day and I literally used df- h to find out if the hdd was full because I don't know any of the gui-side of things.

E: Also, to all macbook havers here. Open your loving machines and blow them out sometime. Dirtiest computers we take in at work are always macbooks, and they are totally designed to retain any poo poo that manages to find its way into the case. It's easy if you have the philips screws, less so with the pentalobes, but you can get pentalobe screwdrivers easily enough. If your macbook is running hot it is probably because there is a felt pad of dust and pet air in between the cooling fan and the fins on the cooler. Fan(s) is(are) held in with three screws and you don't have to remove anything other than the bottom of the machine to get that out and give it a good cleaning, make sure you use a finger to hold the fan still while cleaning it, don't let it spin up that's how you wreck them.

EE: Also, stop jerking off onto the loving keyboard, that poo poo seeps in and when I open a macbook and see a dried translucent milky-yellow "substance" all over the bottom of the keyboard it is digusting af to clean up.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 13, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Please tell me that bitrate and sample rate isn't accurate. :argh:

Enourmo posted:

Aye and the best thing about it is the quality of sound you get from a reel to reel is superior to virtually every other form of physical media. So you can be a hipster with actual standards.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Whole album on a floppy disk. Looks about right!...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Aye and the best thing about it is the quality of sound you get from a reel to reel is superior to virtually every other form of physical media. So you can be a hipster with actual standards.

Now we just gotta wait for the dudes at Mordhaus to perfect their water recording technology.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tomarse posted:

Whole album on a floppy disk. Looks about right!...

I just didn't want to believe anyone would go to the effort of putting it on there or indeed listening to it afterwards. It must sound fuzzy as all gently caress, like you're playing a vinyl on one of those cheap stack system from the 80s with a rounded needle through a pair of paper cone speakers with no tweeter and the mids turned all the way up.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I just didn't want to believe anyone would go to the effort of putting it on there or indeed listening to it afterwards. It must sound fuzzy as all gently caress, like you're playing a vinyl on one of those cheap stack system from the 80s with a rounded needle through a pair of paper cone speakers with no tweeter and the mids turned all the way up.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

But anything that annoys audiophiles is a win in my book.

:allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm not an audiophile, I just have ears that work normally. ;)

It's like watching a movie that looks like this:

I just don't 'get it' despite having a bunch of vaporwave in my music collection.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 13, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I also need to know the place where I can read your tales of :stonk: and :catstare:

There's a closed Facebook group of EM docs where there are some awesome anecdotes, and many people have much, much better stories than I do. Like I said, most of what I do is a slog through chest pain, abdominal pain, viral illnesses, etc., with frequent sidelines into STDs and drug abuse (I like to say we're a magnet center for the sequelae of poor life choices), occasional critical illnesses, only rare hilarity that can be expressed to someone who wasn't there at the time. I'm widely considered the joker lacking a filter in a department with many jokers lacking filters (which will probably get me recorded and wrecked on social media plus or minus fired someday, so it's not the best thing), but those are mainly wiseass cracks that would be ruined by having to explain them.

That said ...

Some woman many years ago posted:

I fell off a dirt bike and I need an STD check.
I wasn't sure what to make of this when I opened the chart. We get some weird chief complaints sometimes, and generally if triage uses a direct quote it's because it's memorable, like when a friend of mine as an intern picked up a chart with a chief complaint listed as "My coochie done broke." But this combination of complaints is just weird. So I figured that triage had paraphrased. So I walked into the room and said to the young woman who sitting on the stretcher, "Hi there, I'm Dr. Tetrapyloctomy. What brings you in the hospital today?"

"I fell off a dirt bike and I need an STD check."

So, like any compassionate doctor would, I tactfully requested clarification. "What, did you fall on a penis?"

She just looked at me, puzzled. I don't think she registered this as a less than dead-serious inquiry, because she said, "No, I didn't fall on a penis. I fell off a dirt bike." So I got the story of the accident and her injury -- a minor hip contusion -- and asked her why she needed an STD check. She just shrugged. No symptoms or anything. Whatever, I figured I'd just do the testing for her and keep my mouth shut. I went to my computer and checked her urine pregnancy results since it would change pain meds, and it was positive. Of course. I went back into the room and told her.

"What? How did that happen?"

And like a good doctor with a woman in crisis, I responded, "It's your vagina. I think you have a better idea about that than I do."

"No, you don't understand!" And then she added the words that will haunt me forever: "Wait -- the milkshake thing must have worked! I wonder who the dad is! Can you test for that?"

For the first time in my career, I was speechless. After a pause, I mumbled a, "No, we don't do that," and walked out. I did a quick bedside ultrasound to make sure there was nothing crazy going on in there, and never saw her again. I'm sure the kid is doing great.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
July Chat: Wait -- the milkshake thing must have worked!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh god I've just clocked on what she means... :cry: That is loving disgusting. I'm all for debauchery but there's levels I will not stoop to.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I don't think I have any anecdotes that aren't gross. Most involve poop, often in the projectile state.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

8kbps MP3 is raunchy as all hell. Even the current best lossy codec (Opus) is only good for speech at those rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

8kbps MP3 is raunchy as all hell. Even the current best lossy codec (Opus) is only good for speech at those rates.

Ha, I found a video which runs the range from 8kbps to 320... Try and guess what the song is. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTQS25w8kZo

• Locked thread