Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Ever since usenet roguelike groups: you do not brag on what you've done with a still active character in a roguelike. It is known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda

LordSloth posted:

Tangledeep on switch? That should be fun. Whatever happened to dungeonmans? Was that coming to switch or was I just confused because jack is helping out on Tangledeep?

Jim just released a pretty big Dungeonmans patch like... a month ago or so? But AFAIK he has no plans to bring it to Switch.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

YASD

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Lunsku posted:

Ever since usenet roguelike groups: you do not brag on what you've done with a still active character in a roguelike. It is known.

It is known.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Lunsku posted:

You're old.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Something Awful Forums > Games > Roguelikes: You're old.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://featurecreeps.itch.io/corpsewizard

roguelike

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

You're old.

I suspect the roguelike audience skews older than most genres.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

TOOT BOOT posted:

I suspect the roguelike audience skews older than most genres.

Wouldn't surprise me, I'm 32 and I bet I'm on the younger end. A lot of the people I know who play roguelikes have 5-10 years on me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

AttackBacon posted:

Wouldn't surprise me, I'm 32 and I bet I'm on the younger end. A lot of the people I know who play roguelikes have 5-10 years on me.

In 2012, the median roguelike player age was 37. This year, the median has climbed to 43. Extrapolating from this, by 2075, it's estimated that the average roguelike player will be over 100 years old.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 26, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In 2012, the median roguelike player age was 37. This year, the median has climbed to 43. Extrapolating from this, by 2075, it's estimated that the average roguelike player will be over 100 years old.

The RNG will get us long before that, don't jinx your run

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AttackBacon posted:

I'm 27, does that make me the youngest roguelike player in history?*

*not counting the children playing Sproggiwood

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm 23 so definitely not. Started playing these dumb old games at like 19, I bet there's a teen RL player somewhere out there

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I'm 23 so definitely not. Started playing these dumb old games at like 19, I bet there's a teen RL player somewhere out there

Oh, now I'm curious - what was your first roguelike, how'd you get into 'em?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

StrixNebulosa posted:

You didnt ask me but I'm going to answer anyway because its 5am and work is boring.

I'm 32, my first roguelike was ADOM, which I discovered when I was 14. My school let me borrow a crappy old laptop and DOS games were all I could reliably run on it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mithross posted:

You didnt ask me but I'm going to answer anyway because its 5am and work is boring.

I'm 32, my first roguelike was ADOM, which I discovered when I was 14. My school let me borrow a crappy old laptop and DOS games were all I could reliably run on it.

Okay!

My first roguelike was Nethack, which I discovered when I was... I think I was 9? 10? I was very, very bad at it but developed a respect for it.

Cue a transition period of like ten years as I played some Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and assorted games, but I wasn't into roguelikes much at all until my mid twenties.

The first roguelike that got me into actually playing roguelikes was DCSS, because vampire cats are cool and the UI was (more) accessible. I transitioned from there into things like Dredmor and Dungeonmans and this thread became a reference point for more good games.

.... and I still haven't played ADOM. At this point I'm too afraid to try it.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I had a big CD full of DOS games and played actual Rogue back in like 1994 or so. I think I only played it because the little smileyface character reminded me of ZZT, which I was really into for a while. I also remember playing something called Alphaman at some point as a teen, and didn't really get into roguelikes again until Unreal World in the later 90s. I did try ADOM but found it a little bit too confusing. I still probably would if I gave it a chance. Not that I didn't get it on Steam long ago, haha.

I'm 37 so I guess I fit into the average range.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 26, 2018

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

StrixNebulosa posted:

.... and I still haven't played ADOM. At this point I'm too afraid to try it.

I kind of have the opposite problem. I spent so many years with ADOM as basically my only roguelike before I discovered the rest of the genre that now when I try to play other games I automatically try to use ADOM commands. I've bounced off Qud a couple times without ever really digging in because I keep defaulting to ADOM controls. I even have that problem with post-revival ADOM, I keep trying to play it like I used to, and getting frustrated that some of the new accessibility features can't be disabled.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm 29 and I want to say my first Roguelike was messing around with Nethack when I was like 9 or 10 years old because I couldn't play "real" games on my mom's lovely laptop. After that I was introduced to ADOM and although I never beat it I sunk a ton of hours into it and it's definitely the first one I really got into. Also remember playing IVAN and UnReal World around that time (I think that's the name? It was a weird Scandinavian wilderness survival game and brutally hard), those were probably the first non-ASCII games I tried.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Chinook posted:

I had a big CD full of DOS games and played actual Rogue back in like 1994 or so. I think I only played it because the little smileyface character reminded me of ZZT, which I was really into for a while. I also remember playing something called Alphaman at some point as a teen, and didn't really get into roguelikes again until Unreal World in the later 90s. I did try ADOM but found it a little bit too confusing. I still probably would if I gave it a chance. Not that I didn't get it on Steam long ago, haha.

I'm 37 so I guess I fit into the average range.

Lol yeah ZZT was my gateway drug into weird ASCII games too

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was a teenager when I started playing roguelikes, mainly because my family was poor and these games were free. There was a Game Informer flyout article about Dwarf Fortress so I started playing that, then reading more about it revealed its roguelike influences, and the whole world opened up.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I honestly don't remember, what I downloaded from Home of the Underdogs almost 20 years ago now, but I guess it was either Rogue or Nethack. Didn't play it for long, because my computer time was limited, and i mostly used it on other games, but i remember enjoying it, even if I didn't understand anything of what was going on.

Then I came across DC:SS and DoomRL a few years later and my rogueliking could begin in earnest.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

I was loving around with Nethack in my teens, meanwhile my kid started playing Sproggiwood at 2. Two years later and he can reliably get past the first dungeon. :3:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I'm 25, def not incredibly younge anymore. It's just that usenet references probably really dates a person.

My first roguelike was crawl, stumbled on a sslp of it like six or seven years ago and wanted to try it out. My first rogue lite was probably Binding of Issac or Ftl, but those titles are nearly ubiquitous so it doesn't mean much.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Not quite a roguelike but while trying to grind out Lead God in Enter the Gungeon I finally got Seven Leaf Clover -> Clone and yeah I see now why there's normally a mechanic in place to stop you from getting too many high-tier items. It renders the game utterly trivial, which is fun once in a while (about as often as you'll find Seven Leaf Clover!) but sucks a lot of the soul out of the game.

That said, I saw a bunch of interactions between guns and items that I seriously doubt I would have otherwise in a normal run. Disintegrator + Science Cannon + Scattershot + Bouncy Bullets + Shock Rounds instantly deleted every single room but also burned through ammo (and FPS) like mad.

And after no-hitting a Jammed Metal Gear Rat and Jammed Lich I can pretty safely say I've done everything worthwhile there is to do in Gungeon (I only have Frifle grinding left) and will be putting the game away until there's an expansion.

My opinion on ETG has done a complete 180 after initially picking up the game a couple years ago, really liking the presentation and the endless bombardment of gun puns, but getting frustrated with how stingy the game was and how long it took to accomplish anything. Definitely one of these games where it helped that the devs fixed a few things (keys, ammo), but also really really helped to just get good at the game and it unfolds for you.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I’m in my 20s and have been playing Nethack on and off since high school.

Speaking of which, I just ascended (as an elf wizard) in a Nethack variant called XNethack. The variant makes some interesting changes to the Wizard class and spellcasting in general, which seem to make wizards stronger than in vanilla overall, although still probably weaker than valkyries and barbarians.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Yeah, 37, so getting oldish I guess?

Moria I scrounged from god knows where first for me, then Omega, Angband (Oangband varian tin particular) and Nethack in mid to late 90s to 00s. ADOM gamma versions I spent a poo poo ton of time on but really haven't been able to stomach getting back to them after early 00s.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

StrixNebulosa posted:

Depending on how you define them-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, or Dwarf Fortress, or DCSS.
If you include roguelites like Isaac then there's 1 million different games and I have no idea what the first one would be.

Dwarf Fortress was basically what led to me finding proper RLs, though I've never actually touched adventure mode in it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I'm 27 now and started playing Dwarf Fortress when I was a young teen, Nethack a while before that.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'm 33 but my gateway roguelike was Castle of The Winds so by some grognard standards I've always been a filthy casual. :v:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

25, first roguelike was PMD Blue Rescue Team, but what got me interested in other roguelikes was Elona of all things. A friend introduced me to it and although I didn't go back to it until way later, it got me looking at the genre. I remember playing a bit of nethack around then but never making it past like the 3rd floor.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

32, my first RL was Diablo 1 in middle school, picking up Nethack, Dungeon Hack and Castle of the Winds in high school (I was running a hand me down Pentium 75 box til my senior year).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Mid-30's, and my start was Moria, downloaded off of AOL Online's fileservers. I had to pay my dad $2 for every hour I wanted to spend online, and also keep an eye out that nobody tried to make any phone calls lest I lose my download.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I'm 29, my first roguelike, also one of the first games I ever played, was COTW when I was like 4 or 5, but I wasn't really any competent at it until I was like 8 (I loved wearing cursed equipment because of the cool tiles). Once I was out of high school I found out about roguelikes as a genre from TVTropes and tried a bunch out, but DCSS is the only one from that time that really stuck with me.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

*Shakes Fist* Okay I checked my steam achievements and I have had a successful run with a vanilla pod once. I got taken out floor 11 because of a bad Stele on floor 10 (Enemies ignore heroes) while I was already dust poor. I went from 42 dust to 11 and just ran away. On the next floor the 'take out core module' enemies were way too tough for my upgrades and levels and they just kept walking through everything and making me dust poor until I ran out of resources. That Stele is way to brutal.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 26, 2018

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I found Nethack when I was pretty young, must have been ~11ish. Due to the name I thought it was some kind of sweet cyberpunk game and man did I bounce off it hard. I was always a visual guy so I didn't really re-engage with roguelikes until I found ToME maybe 5-6 years ago. I think I was drawn to it because of how it reminded me of Exile and things like that. Actually does Exile count as a roguelike? Cause that would be my first then, back in like...95. Maybe it was Exile II. I played a poo poo ton of those games since I was a Mac kid (only oldschool Mac gamers know about Escape fuckin Velocity the best game of all time).

This is totally off topic but oldschool Mac games were wild. I dunno how many were actually on PC but I played the poo poo out of things like Absolute Zero, Escape Velocity, Myth, Marathon, etc. Those were some good rear end games. Absolute Zero still is one of my favorite settings, I was so engrossed in that poo poo when I was a kid.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm 30 and I discovered Nethack when I was like 15.
Never beaten it but I beat crawl a bunch

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tyty posted:

I remember playing a bit of nethack around then but never making it past like the 3rd floor.

So, before I played Nethack I played Crossfire, a multiplayer everything-and-the-kitchen-sink dungeon crawling game. And divine casters in that game use divine favour rather than mana to fuel their spells, which doesn't regenerate naturally; you need to spend time praying to regenerate it.

So my first time playing Nethack I'm rummaging through the commands and find #pray. Aha, I think, I should make sure I have the favour of the gods before I go dungeon diving. So I start spamming it.

My first game of Nethack ends on the first floor as Odin smites me to get me to shut up.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
I'm 37 and I got started with ZAngband, I think. I got into other Angband variants after that (I remember playing TOME when it was PernAngband) and spread out from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I'm 33 but my gateway roguelike was Castle of The Winds so by some grognard standards I've always been a filthy casual. :v:

Heck yeah, Caste of the Winds.