Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vagabundo posted:

What's been frustrating with the DCEU is that almost each movie has something that works, something that shows that there is potential, but it's squandered just as quickly.

Man of Steel seemed to understand the idea of Superman being a symbolic ideal for people, something to aspire to, but that he'd be tortured by having the weight of the world on his shoulders, up until he basically started destroying everything. That's one area where I felt that Superman Returns, for all it faults, got the character better. Superman should be trying to save as many people as he can instead of breaking every bit of infrastructure he lays his eyes on while having an EPIC SUPER FIGHT against Zod.

Batman vs. Superman had a great opening, where it shows you EXACTLY WHY Batman would have a problem with Superman - he's dangerous, he's reckless, and fails to take into account the little people, and regardless of his intentions, good or otherwise, he's simply too dangerous if unchecked. I also actually liked that bit where Batman steals that chunk of Kryptonite off of Lex Luthor off-screen, because while it would have been cool, it's also neat to see the aftermath of a place where the goddamn Bat-Man happened.

I was enjoying Wonder Woman up until the Dragon Ball Z fight at the end, which just really made me disengage with the film entirely.

Justice League had its moments, like Flash being completely out of his depth and Aquaman being a total dudebro, but it was just an overlong slog.

Suicide Squad can go loving die, for all I care though. What an irredeemable piece of trash.

Agreed, the movies have mostly been terrible, aside from WW which was pretty good for comic pablum. The DC movies stick in my mind more than the Marvel movies, tho, and I couldn't tell you why. Maybe it's because they aim higher even though they fall harder. My guess: Justice League was the last bit of a failed strategy, an aberration, and DC will continue a quality upswing by focusing less on the crossovers and more on keeping the different solo arcs going. That would be the smart move.

I can't make excuses for the MCU though, it's just absolutely dire, boring, formulaic, pap rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ironically right now Suicide Squad and its derivatives are considered to be worth more to WB than anything from JL.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's kind of weird to think that Harley Quinn could potentially become a more bankable character for them than, say, Superman.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's kind of weird to think that Harley Quinn could potentially become a more bankable character for them than, say, Superman.

It's kind of weird to think that a scantily dressed young woman could potentially become a more bankable character than an indestructible boy scout?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

It's kind of weird to think that a scantily dressed young woman could potentially become a more bankable character than an indestructible boy scout?

I honestly hadn't thought of it that way, so fair enough.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I like the unrepentantly goofy look of AQUAMAN. It's got like, actual colour in it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Why does everything in Aquaman look so cheap? Like there's a certain plastic look to all the CG (which seems to be a lot) that just makes it look like some TV movie. I did laugh at the "we coulda just peed on it" line, though.

Mera's hair actually bothers me a lot. It looks like a cheap, boxed hair dye or a halloween wig. There's just no highlights in it whatsoever.

You can have bright red hair, but if you want to pretend it's real, maybe put a little more effort into it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I honestly hadn't thought of it that way, so fair enough.

DC were very subtle about it:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Good Omens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZSXlNRRoGU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

GrandpaPants posted:

Why does everything in Aquaman look so cheap? Like there's a certain plastic look to all the CG (which seems to be a lot) that just makes it look like some TV movie. I did laugh at the "we coulda just peed on it" line, though.

Its probably still being finalized CGI wise, I would expect it to look better as a finished product.

Seems fun though, I'll probably watch it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like that used a Queen song.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alhazred posted:

I like that used a Queen song.

That is a nice touch. I’m cautiously optimistic.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
And despite all the production woes

American Gods Season 2 looks good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EJEa9aW5PQ

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

LesterGroans posted:

He speaks a bit in the premiere, but other than that he doesn't. He's kind of backgrounded and more like a silent protector in some episodes.

What the gently caress.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

Dirty Harry carrying some dirty cargo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_QksSzK7sI

Ummm..... Holy poo poo?

Sold day one.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Aaron Paul and Emily Ratajkowski
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lldf4sRzfE

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 7, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Slutitution posted:

Ummm..... Holy poo poo?

Sold day one.

lol

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
unbelievable... a real shocker in tone & plot from must-see veteran director Eastwood

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hat Thoughts posted:

unbelievable... a real shocker in tone & plot from must-see veteran director Eastwood

Sure, but we’ve never seen Clint Eastwood destroy a Cartel before. Who doesn’t want to see that?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The MSJ posted:

New Netflix Sabrina trailer, featuring more collusion with the forces of evil and casual murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybKUX6thF8Q

Holy poo poo, is this Sabrina set in Maine? 'Cause it's channeling Stephen King really has there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Aaron Paul should donate some of his forehead to Emily Ratajkowski's chin.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuL5yXsOAIA

This is definitely going to bomb I think.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I know nothing about the whole Mortal Engines thing, but I like the visual style of this and will probably check it out. It makes me think of Miyazaki films like Howl's Moving Castle (for obvious reasons) and Laputa.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hat Thoughts posted:

What even was his last really good movie as a director?

Letters from Iwo Jima?

I suppose some folks really liked Invictus but maybe that was just my dad. :v:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose some folks really liked Invictus but maybe that was just my dad. :v:

You'd think a major film about rugby union would do well in New Zealand, but it loving tanked at the Kiwi box office. Probably because the film didn't acknowledge the potentially deliberate food poisoning suffered by the All Blacks going into the game.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

So is this just an American remake of the French movie Intouchables right? The original was quite dull, but it was super popular in France, just not my thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intouchables

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Vagabundo posted:

You'd think a major film about rugby union would do well in New Zealand, but it loving tanked at the Kiwi box office. Probably because the film didn't acknowledge the potentially deliberate food poisoning suffered by the All Blacks going into the game.

That rules as sabotage because their hakka involves an explicit threat of cannibalism

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

So is this just an American remake of the French movie Intouchables right? The original was quite dull, but it was super popular in France, just not my thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intouchables

Ya, pretty much. They seem to be cribbing pretty heavily from the French script, at least based on the trailer.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

The Peccadillo posted:

That rules as sabotage because their hakka involves an explicit threat of cannibalism

gently caress the Springboks, got owned by Japan at rugby somehow last tournament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhs3EUfY-sA

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Slutitution posted:

Sure, but we’ve never seen Clint Eastwood destroy a Cartel before. Who doesn’t want to see that?

I wanna see the movie where The Cartel tortures and kills his old rear end.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ya lets see unforgiven but w eastwood in the hackman role

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think it was innovative and groundbreaking to have Eastwood mocap an animated cgi version of one of the radioactive ghouls from Fallout.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Feel free to look over the lyrics of the Ka Mate haka, and come back when you find it. While some iwi practised cannibalism, the belief that the Ka Mate haka contains any threat of cannibalism is simply not true.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I saw Eastwood and it was an immediate no-click. Haven't had much patience in a loooong while for the old arguing-with-chairs idiot or his dumb rear end movies.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You can't torture and kill someone who is superhuman.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Slutitution posted:

You can't torture and kill someone who is superhuman.

yes!!! check this one out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHYMfKEtb6Q

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Border looks pretty fuckin wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2rsXR4cjrw

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm imagining someone sliding a DVD with "Hola" written on it in sharpie under Scott Eastwood's door.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

It Just Got Worse posted:

I'm imagining someone sliding a DVD with "Hola" written on it in sharpie under Scott Eastwood's door.

Hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

It Just Got Worse posted:

He's going to be like Alejandro in Sicario.