Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vinylshadow posted:

Oh yes, truly, the pinnacle of maturity, that's exactly what I'd describe the Doctor as

It kind of tracks if you ignore Seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Dabir posted:

I mean, at that point he'd spent the majority of his life as that man.

Given how fast The Doctor runs through lives, it still might be the longest time spent in one life.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno posted:

It kind of tracks if you ignore Seven.

Seven, Eight, and Nine could be the co-called "grunge phase"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Seven is the best doctor because he has the best umberrrrrrella. Qed

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nodosaur posted:

It's hilarious how in The Three Doctors the First Doctor is so respected he's what it takes to get Two and Three to work together, when later stuff makes it so the majority of his incarnations see him as their lovely teenager phase.

I thought that this was a Moffat joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57_tXWsqO_g

I didn't realise it was a callback to a real scene with the First.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snprb1JY_YA

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I remembered it because The Three Doctors was the first Classic Who thing I ever watched.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wolfechu posted:

The fact that her pockets are completely empty in the same episode that she's lost the TARDIS just reinforces my belief that the doctor's pockets are linked up to a catch-all "pockets room" on the ship.
It would explain where they got the cup of tea.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Just remember the 'only stool on skaros' joke and its still funny

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Vinylshadow posted:

Seven, Eight, and Nine could be the co-called "grunge phase"

Seven was clearly his punk phase

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Just remember the 'only stool on skaros' joke and its still funny

“It wasn't easy to procure, and very nearly unique, of course. You should feel privileged...The only other chair on Skaro.”

It’s a fantastic joke. I also like “You are not a very good doctor.”

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

8 was obviously the Ska phase

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Nonsense. 8 put down the gun belt. War is his ska phase - he pickitupickituppickiyup.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Was 12 their Rockabilly phase?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
12 is the “your mom won’t let you listen to this, but I won’t tell her” phase

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still love Capaldi rolling into the Dalek control room in Davros' chair, the Daleks physically recoil, and him saying,"Admit it, you've had nightmares about this" :xd:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dirksteadfast posted:

12 is the “your mom won’t let you listen to this, but I won’t tell her” phase

he's actually the high school nerd who thinks listening to led zeppelin makes him smarter than everyone else

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Twelve is the ska phase, at least in his original costume. He dressed like he was either going to a ska show or opening one in the mod revival band he played bass guitar in.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I still love Capaldi rolling into the Dalek control room in Davros' chair, the Daleks physically recoil, and him saying,"Admit it, you've had nightmares about this" :xd:

So good.

When I think of 12 I think two things.

That.

And him rolling in literally playing his theme song on guitar atop of a tank.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

he's actually the high school nerd who thinks listening to led zeppelin makes him smarter than everyone else
You stop reading my diary!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShrnQwWrxJE

I love it that the only ones who are unabashedly, unreservedly, 100% in love with their new appearance are 6, 13, and 10 v.2.0. :D

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

This is evil and you should both feel bad.

Some ones that I like:

Colditz - contains a guest starring pre-Doctor David Tennant as well as an interesting character that will go on to be a companion later
The Harvest - written by Dan Abnett, introduces a new companion, feels a bit New Adventures-y without the clag that generally goes along with that feel.
Live 34 - some nice format tomfoolery here, the whole thing is presented as a radio broadcast that the Doctor and companions appear in bits of
A Thousand Tiny Wings/Survival Of The Fittest/The Architects of History - an arc brings back the character I mentioned in Colditz as a companion. I really don't want to spoil anything about this arc as I think they're probably the most interesting companion that 7 has had and it's very much all about them.

Oh, almost forgot

UNIT: Dominion - if there's any chance you haven't had this one spoiled for you at this point it'd be a miracle but it's great even if you have. An excellent turn from Alex MacQueen too.

I have only listened to like eight or nine big finishes ever so really any recommendations are good. I've basically heard, uh, the monthly range from storm warning to chimes of midnight and that's it. I like Charley and 8 together, they seem fun. That also does include Colditz, which was rad as hell. Maybe I'll just start from the beginning and listen to everything in order lol

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 14, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this one didn't feel like it was hidden so much as justified very well. It felt a bit hackneyed and painful at first, when you see the attempts without knowing why he can't ride a bike, but once you learn about the dyspraxia it suddenly works really well.
No, it was still dumb. Why does a grown adult need his grandma there to watch him try to ride a bike? The reason he can't makes sense, but the grandparents were just there to make a stupid "he's an adult but he's doing a thing that kids do" joke.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

No, it was still dumb. Why does a grown adult need his grandma there to watch him try to ride a bike? The reason he can't makes sense, but the grandparents were just there to make a stupid "he's an adult but he's doing a thing that kids do" joke.

They’re there for support to push him to keep trying despite his disability. It’s as much emotional support as anything.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Tiggum posted:

she's the only family he has and she's there supporting him attempt to overcome his disability?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

I think he doesn't actually want to ride a bike, his grandmother's the one pushing for it. So he wouldn't do it by himself until the end of the episode, because he wouldn't be doing it at all if it was entirely up to him.

And as to why he's doing it in the first place, I think it's more of a symbolic victory thing; his dyspraxia makes riding a bike, a really common thing, very hard but not impossible. It's an elephant in the room for what his disability keeps him from doing, and something that's probably gonna make things awkward when you say you can't do it. If he can beat that, that is a symbol that he is not his disability, he can overcome it, and participate in part of society that was previously unattainable. I have similar things with my own disorders, and it always sucked to know that, for example, my fine motor skills made clean handwriting and drawing effectively out of my grasp, even if I can go through most of my life without that being an outright obstacle.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
yeah, I WISH my family were that supportive of poo poo I have physical or mental problems with instead of just like

laughing at me about it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I have only listened to like eight or nine big finishes ever so really any recommendations are good. I've basically heard, uh, the monthly range from storm warning to chimes of midnight and that's it. I like Charley and 8 together, they seem fun. That also does include Colditz, which was rad as hell. Maybe I'll just start from the beginning and listen to everything in order lol

gfd shadow of the scourge is fun and witty why is everyone laughing at me about it :mad:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

dirksteadfast posted:

I’m a simple man. As long as the Doctor’s costume falls within the spectrum between the 9th and 6th Doctor I’m happy with it.

(Seriously, was Eccleston’s “costume” the production trying to keep the revival more grounded for new viewers, or was he just not wanting to play nice with that aspect of the show?)

The show got huge amounts of flack back in the day for the Doctor's costumes becoming increasingly more contrived and gimmicky. Obviously there's that coat but even McCoy's question mark ensemble got a lot of hate. I think Eccleston's costume works really well, without ever being "a costume". It's just the kind of thing his regeneration would wear. It harks back to the days of Hartnell. The First Doctor didn't have a specific costume as such, his outfit was just what you'd expect his character to wear.

NuWho has done a really great job on this so far. From Eccleston onwards each regeneration has had a very distinct style, without the costume ever taking front stage. But Whittaker's outfit is a bit too brash and gimmicky for my tastes. I might grow to like it over time, but I think I'm going to be biased against it for a while simply because of how hard she rocked Capaldi's old outfit for almost all of this episode.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Elevator Screamer posted:

NuWho has done a really great job on this so far. From Eccleston onwards each regeneration has had a very distinct style, without the costume ever taking front stage.

Towards the end of his run I thought Eleven's outfit got a little too costumey

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

10 has the worst outfit by far imo

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Counterpoint: that loving fez

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Would you believe that was a complete accident?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ashes to ashes, funk to funky
We Know Doctor Who's a junkie

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, so, the idea of each Doctor having their own theme music was only introduced with Eleven. I am the Doctor is so amazing. I love it so much. Twelve's theme, Good Man, was great too. Nine and Ten shared a theme. All choir ahs. But it was a theme for the both of them and the fact that they shared it always felt to me like they'd had there own if things went more as expected.

There is no evidence, now that Murray Gold is gone, that Thirteen will have a theme at all.

But if it's the music that played when they made their sonic, I am gonna' be so pumped. I would love to hear that every time they solve a problem at the climax.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

10 has the worst outfit by far imo

No it's 11. I'm sorry, but bowties are not cool and are pretty much only worn by human refuse IRL.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, so, the idea of each Doctor having their own theme music was only introduced with Eleven. I am the Doctor is so amazing. I love it so much. Twelve's theme, Good Man, was great too. Nine and Ten shared a theme.

Ten had ‘All the Strange, Strange Creatures’?

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, so, the idea of each Doctor having their own theme music was only introduced with Eleven. ...... Nine and Ten shared a theme. All choir ahs. But it was a theme for the both of them and the fact that they shared it always felt to me like they'd had there own if things went more as expected.

That makes a lot of sense to me though, because to me Eccleston and Tennant weren't separable in the way other Doctors are. Eccleston's run, iconic though it was, was what, ten episodes long? Twelve? It was hardly any. Although it wasn't intended this way initially, he was already a sort of Prequel Doctor by partway through that first series, an intro to get new viewers up to speed, including on the fact that the Doctor can regenerate. Tennant's run doesn't begin with Christmas Invasion, it begins with Rose. Eccleston is the opening salvo of the Tennant era and Tennant was the big twist early in that story. The hook, almost.

That's changed since, because of how long the series has run, but, yeah. I think all of RTD's Who is one item. So one theme tune for them both does make sense to me. Perhaps that feeling is aided by Eccleston's refusal to return.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

No it's 11. I'm sorry, but bowties are not cool and are pretty much only worn by human refuse IRL.

This favoured neckwear is one of the only things Pee Wee Herman, Winston Churchill, Karl Marx, Orville Redenbacher, Louis Farrakhan and Fred Astaire had in common!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^ Yeah without creeping any Star Wars thread analysis into this thread I agree.

I managed to wrangle a friend into DW through showing the first 13th Doctor ep and she loves it! And she's been watching the 2005 series! We just finished Dalek and mate, that ep is a rollercoaster of feelings towards the dalek. Astonishment, fear, pity, anger, fear again, compassion, hope and finally sadness.