Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
As a Suburban Driving American it's my God Given Right to clear a small area of my window quickly because I'm late for work. I can back out my driveway with my door open and the snow melts off by the time I get to work. Mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i live in FL and i warm up the car and defrost (hah frost) my windows almost every morning. the utter gently caress.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

My complaint with car snow removal is there's no profit in them so basically every option out there is a wobbly lovely piece of plastic that needs replacing every fall. Where's the high end snow brush + ice scraper combos? :colbert:

Snow Joe makes a really great telescoping snow broom with a scraper. It is very sturdy and being able to use two hands to pull down snow from your roof makes the job really fast:

https://www.snowjoe.com/products/snow-joe-telescoping-snow-broom-with-ice-scraper

They also make a brass blade ice scrapper that is better than any plastic hand tool you can buy:
https://www.snowjoe.com/products/snow-joe-edge-ice-scraper-with-brass-blade

Also, everything from that company has a two year manufacturers warranty. This might sound like a shill post but they're the only company I've found that makes snow removal tools worth a drat.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I find it far easier to drive +20 over the limit in icy conditions and have mother nature blow the stuff off.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Sigma posted:

Snow Joe makes a really great telescoping snow broom with a scraper. It is very sturdy and being able to use two hands to pull down snow from your roof makes the job really fast:

https://www.snowjoe.com/products/snow-joe-telescoping-snow-broom-with-ice-scraper

They also make a brass blade ice scrapper that is better than any plastic hand tool you can buy:
https://www.snowjoe.com/products/snow-joe-edge-ice-scraper-with-brass-blade

Also, everything from that company has a two year manufacturers warranty. This might sound like a shill post but they're the only company I've found that makes snow removal tools worth a drat.

Those are basically what all the dealerships here use.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garant-telescopic-scratch-free-snow-brush-52-in-0304462p.html#srp

Is what I use, and it is great. My brother has the same one and his is going on three years.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Colostomy Bag posted:

I find it far easier to drive +20 over the limit in icy conditions and have mother nature blow the stuff off.

This guy understands

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

wolrah posted:

Definitely did the same thing once near Norwalk Raceway Park, a two-way stop I went through twice a week for years got converted to a light and one night I was totally on autopilot and treated it like a stop sign.

At least it's pretty much the safest way to blow a red light.

I keep doing the opposite. There is a road close to me that had a 3 way stop when I started driving. In that distant past, I used that road regularly and would always stop at the 3 way stop that never had traffic from the side street. I stopped using that street regularly 12 years ago, 10 years ago, they removed the stop signs from the through street. To this day, when I drive down the through street. I hit the brakes to stop at the non-existent stop sign. 95% of the time I remember and don't actually slow down or stop, but sometimes I am the people that you share the road with. The ones that stop at seemingly random places on the road.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Those are basically what all the dealerships here use.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garant-telescopic-scratch-free-snow-brush-52-in-0304462p.html#srp

Is what I use, and it is great. My brother has the same one and his is going on three years.

All the dealerships here seem to use leafblowers

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

xzzy posted:

My complaint with car snow removal is there's no profit in them so basically every option out there is a wobbly lovely piece of plastic that needs replacing every fall. Where's the high end snow brush + ice scraper combos? :colbert:

Do you want a brush, or do you want sexy? https://snoshark.com/

TwoogBuk LLC fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 26, 2019

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Just drive a convertible.

No roof = no snow.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

slidebite posted:

All the dealerships here seem to use leafblowers

Leafblowers seem to be a uniquely Albertan way to remove snow. I'm not sure why, but everyone from elsewhere has gone, "what the gently caress is everyone doing with the leafblowers?" on their first exposure to the concept.

supa scoopa
Jan 15, 2007

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
sweet we haven't had a good cyclist derail in a while.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think I can wrap this one up nicely:

The car was a bit to the inside BUT

The cyclists were on too much of the road. The inside ones crashed themselves from a freakout and the outside guy went the wrong fuckin way... but I don’t understand because from his angle (on the car’s side of the road) he should’ve seen him.

Stay in your lane when you don’t have visibility around a turn.

Fin

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
poo poo like that is why I don't do ~group rides~ since you're at the mercy of the dumbest person in front of you.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Back in the Before Times, in the Long Long Ago, I read an article in a motorcycle magazine about "the fridge factor" that talked about riding faster than you can see.

Assume a refrigerator fell out of the back of a truck on the apex of a tight corner, then adjust your speed accordingly. Basically, on the street, never ride faster than you can see. That advice has saved my bacon a couple of times.

(For the younger goons, a magazine was a website that was printed out on paper, then took a month to download. )

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have similar morbid thoughts when I drive on the highway. What if the car in front of me just slammed into a stopped car we both didn't see? Would I be able to stop or steer around in time? Most of the time the answer is no.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

nsaP posted:

I think I can wrap this one up nicely:

The car was a bit to the inside BUT

The cyclists were on too much of the road. The inside ones crashed themselves from a freakout and the outside guy went the wrong fuckin way... but I don’t understand because from his angle (on the car’s side of the road) he should’ve seen him.

Stay in your lane when you don’t have visibility around a turn.

Fin

A bit to the inside? It was on the wrong loving side of the road. The guy on the yellow bike was thrown into the guy in front of the camera bike. Watch it again.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I can't really tell, but it's possible the guy in the front blew the corner and the car went inside to try to avoid him.

But yeah being in the lane is not "in too much of the road." You can use as much of the lane as you deem necessary.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That video is like 4 years old, I remember it, we've hashed it out already.

When the snow is wet and heavy, I use a push broom for the majority of snow on my car. I just make sure not to get down to the paint with it. Then I finish with my hand brush.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

um excuse me posted:

I have similar morbid thoughts when I drive on the highway. What if the car in front of me just slammed into a stopped car we both didn't see? Would I be able to stop or steer around in time? Most of the time the answer is no.

A car with decent brakes typically takes 150-175 feet to stop from highway speed (70 MPH). 70 MPH is just over 100 feet per second, so add in reaction time as well and you're probably looking at a bare minimum of 200feet required to be reasonably confident that you can stop in the event of an immovable obstacle in front of you in dry conditions.

That's enough space to fit two semi trucks with plenty of room to spare, or three tightly. Anyone who drives near a major metro area is laughing at the idea of maintaining that much room.

For all intents and purposes it's impossible to maintain a truly safe following distance at highway speed in anything more than light traffic. This is one of the main reasons we have controlled access highways in the first place, to reduce the possible causes of unexpected stoppages or obstacles in the road, and also why the worst crashes on highways tend to be associated with them.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

cakesmith handyman posted:

A bit to the inside? It was on the wrong loving side of the road. The guy on the yellow bike was thrown into the guy in front of the camera bike. Watch it again.

yeah cause the bikes were hanging out in the middle of the road mid apex, he probably cut to the inside thinking they were going wide.

cyclists take the worst lines

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

wolrah posted:

A car with decent brakes typically takes 150-175 feet to stop from highway speed (70 MPH). 70 MPH is just over 100 feet per second, so add in reaction time as well and you're probably looking at a bare minimum of 200feet required to be reasonably confident that you can stop in the event of an immovable obstacle in front of you in dry conditions.

That's enough space to fit two semi trucks with plenty of room to spare, or three tightly. Anyone who drives near a major metro area is laughing at the idea of maintaining that much room.

For all intents and purposes it's impossible to maintain a truly safe following distance at highway speed in anything more than light traffic. This is one of the main reasons we have controlled access highways in the first place, to reduce the possible causes of unexpected stoppages or obstacles in the road, and also why the worst crashes on highways tend to be associated with them.

I appreciate your thought but my synapses fire right off the gun. I deal with thousandths.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

nsaP posted:

yeah cause the bikes were hanging out in the middle of the road mid apex, he probably cut to the inside thinking they were going wide.

cyclists take the worst lines

If it were a car that was hit your tune would be 100% different so stop being disingenuous

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Went to flash my lights at someone in inclement weather, and mine weren't on. It's me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Brolander posted:

Went to flash my lights at someone in inclement weather, and mine weren't on. It's me.

delete ur account

I'm pretty sure I've done that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Brolander posted:

Twice in the last six months I've driven out of the parking lot at work after my shift (I work nights so I get off at 5 AM) and gotten a few blocks before realizing my headlights weren't on.

It's me, I'm the idiot who forgets to turn on his lights due to being in a bright parking lot with a car that has always-on dashbaord lighting. :negative:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Alkydere posted:

Twice in the last six months I've driven out of the parking lot at work after my shift (I work nights so I get off at 5 AM) and gotten a few blocks before realizing my headlights weren't on.

It's me, I'm the idiot who forgets to turn on his lights due to being in a bright parking lot with a car that has always-on dashbaord lighting. :negative:

I see you idiots so often in the metro area I hardly register you any more. But I still yet at you from inside my car.

TBH I wish there was a universal "TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON GODDAMMIT" signal. I try to cycle my own lights on and off when behind them but it hardly ever works.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

wolrah posted:

Saw this a couple of weeks ago on the interstate. Pick-up truck stopped in the left lane, traffic came to a halt, someone missed it and went airborne off the vehicle in front of them. The truck went full bro-diesel and sped off. I followed that guy and gave the info to the police--i have a good feeling he was brake checking someone.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FBS posted:

I see you idiots so often in the metro area I hardly register you any more. But I still yet at you from inside my car.

TBH I wish there was a universal "TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON GODDAMMIT" signal. I try to cycle my own lights on and off when behind them but it hardly ever works.

I’ve said it before but just mandate all lights on 100% of the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’ve said it before but just mandate all lights on 100% of the time.

Subaru allows this, turn the headlights to on and forget about it. Everything shuts off when you take the key out.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

xzzy posted:

Subaru allows this, turn the headlights to on and forget about it. Everything shuts off when you take the key out.

I leave my FXT and my BMW on full lights all the time. No harm in a little extra visibility and as you say, they shut off when the keys are removed.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

wolrah posted:

This is really not necessary, you don't need to treat the car in for it of you like a non-smoking non-moving object because they are moving. You need to leave enough space to where you can react and brake in the event that the car in front of you either breaks down or mashes their brakes because they are stupid they saw a non moving object. In my opinion it is safe to assume that traffic in front of you has a tiny survival instinct enough to where they will slow down if they see danger an accident ahead.

Sometimes the idiot's behind you won't get the hint when they see people slowing down. Case in point, a couple weeks ago, it was a Sunday morning around 8am, very bright out, very low traffic. I had passed a couple slower cars a few miles ago and hadn't seen any more cars since the highway was so dead. I came to a point where I saw a deer limping across the road, it was as far ahead as I could see, I would guess at least a half mile. The deer was moving very slowly and and I'm too accustomed to the idiot's jumping at random directions when they get scared, so I breaker and moved to the shoulder, I passed the deer going about the 20mph. The idiot driving behind should have seen that I was breaking and moving over, but for whatever reason instead they chose to take to the passing lane, and as far as I could tell they rammed the deer at highway speed.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 28, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crotch Fruit posted:

This is really not necessary, you don't need to treat the car in for it of you like a non-smoking object because they are moving. You need to leave enough space to where you can react and brake in the event that the car in front of you either breaks down or mashes their brakes because they are stupid they saw a non moving object. In my opinion it is safe to assume that traffic in front of you has a tiny survival instinct enough to where they will slow down if they see danger an accident ahead.

Yeah but then you get wrecked if the car in front of you either doesn’t slow down at all till it crumples into the back of a stopped car or swerves into another lane to avoid the stopped car—an option you may not have because their cars on your flank.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Case in point:

https://youtu.be/SWMB_tcXO5A

(Been shared here before)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but then you get wrecked if the car in front of you either doesn’t slow down at all till it crumples into the back of a stopped car or swerves into another lane to avoid the stopped car—an option you may not have because their cars on your flank.
I would like to believe the average driver has enough of a survival instinct in their lizard brain to put down the phone long enough to not ram the broker down car in the lane of traffic. I mean yeah poo poo happens, but I don't feel any less safe by not trying to leave a 200ft gap between me and the car in front of me. I will say the 2 second rule in drivers ed seems a bit short and I usually try to keep 3 or 4 seconds between me and the next car. I still feel the roads are safe enough to drive with gaps less than 200ft.

When the Jeep jumps backwards at you that just throws off the following distance entierly, just another reason to dislike new Jeeps I guess.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yes, the problem in that video was the Jeep, not the decisions that any driver made.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I leave my FXT and my BMW on full lights all the time. No harm in a little extra visibility and as you say, they shut off when the keys are removed.

You burn through lightbulbs faster, especially in hotter climates, like here in Vegas. Bulbs just burn the gently caress out fast.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krakkles posted:

Yes, the problem in that video was the Jeep, not the decisions that any driver made.

It looks like the driver of the Jeep veers into the inside shoulder and hits debris from an existing accident to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The Jeep hit the end of a guardrail.