Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ivies and small LACs are garbage for this and assume that anything that isn't done in-house is poo poo. It's an attitude based partially on assumptions about how superior their classes are and partially in ideas about how they are bringing you in for four years not only to educate you but to "shape you as a person" and exposing you to four years of their institutional culture is part of that.

Whether 4 years of being at an Ivy makes you a better person I'll leave up to you to decide.

As far as I can tell, all four years in an Ivy league school teaches you how to do is get the U.S. into a land war in Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Thanatosian posted:

As far as I can tell, all four years in an Ivy league school teaches you how to do is get the U.S. into a land war in Asia.

Come on now, that is a ridiculous blanket statement to make.

It's only Poly-sci majors.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ivies and small LACs are garbage for this and assume that anything that isn't done in-house is poo poo. It's an attitude based partially on assumptions about how superior their classes are and partially in ideas about how they are bringing you in for four years not only to educate you but to "shape you as a person" and exposing you to four years of their institutional culture is part of that.

Whether 4 years of being at an Ivy makes you a better person I'll leave up to you to decide.

Ivies aren't actually good institutions of learning, they're inflated prep schools for the elite who run this society to maintain their class status and meet with others who do the same. Letting people come in from the outside would give them a false sense that their experiences elsewhere were just as valid as those within - clearly this cannot be tolerated.

I don't know how other states do it but California's community college -> state university program is pretty drat good, I think only one or two of my classes didn't transfer over fully and it was because there wasn't a 1-to-1 overlap in what was being taught.

Haifisch posted:

It gets better when you read his ideas about how you should pay for college:

I want to live in the world these Budgeting Gurus live in, where everyone lives in a small town with reasonably priced houses, is able to bike to everything they need, can pay for college with a part time job, and never has to take on debt for anything or get financial assistance from their parents. It sounds like a nice place.

The next housing bubble is going to take place in Des Moines, IA where everyone across the country takes the advice to move somewhere cheaper.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Thanatosian posted:

Oh that's bullshit and we all know it.

Asia Minor is what they focus on these days.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Subsequently he paid for his stay at home wife (previously also a drop out from same school) to attend a crazy expensive LHC with low admissions standards because he thought someone in the family should have a degree and be a good example to his daughter.

How benevolent of him to tell his wife to go to dum dum school so the daughter would have an example

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Risky Bisquick posted:

Sales is sink or swim though, you either have the chops or you don't. Successful sales people, as mentioned, end up selling more expensive items to maximize their commissions, where as the unsuccessful ones end up at used car dealerships or working salary cold calling to sell stacks of paper. People who under perform get let go very quickly.
Totally agree. Sales is rare and valuable skill. It's one of those things that everyone thinks they can do, but the people who are good at it absolutely crush it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Shipon posted:

Ivies aren't actually good institutions of learning, they're inflated prep schools for the elite who run this society to maintain their class status and meet with others who do the same. Letting people come in from the outside would give them a false sense that their experiences elsewhere were just as valid as those within - clearly this cannot be tolerated.

I don't know how other states do it but California's community college -> state university program is pretty drat good, I think only one or two of my classes didn't transfer over fully and it was because there wasn't a 1-to-1 overlap in what was being taught.

I'm sure a lot of states have an easy process for credit transfers. The problem is when you're outside that system. Going into or out of anything private is going to result in a lot of headaches as is transferring between states with different accreditations.

And 90% of an Ivy League value is networking...so yeah, it's just an exclusive No Homer(s) club.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Does anyone at all feel that their own personal college experience was BWM? A waste of time? Or is the discussion regarding the value of college For Others?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Please Christ post something funny!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Sorry, typo. Meant to say "Chris."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
[7 Up guy voice] Ah ha ha, never have, never will!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I didn't go to college and it feel GWM to me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does anyone at all feel that their own personal college experience was BWM? A waste of time? Or is the discussion regarding the value of college For Others?

Getting my degree was by far the worst mistake I've ever made.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but it was profoundly BWM/BWL.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cyrano4747 posted:

Getting my degree was by far the worst mistake I've ever made.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but it was profoundly BWM/BWL.

I want to say that's rare, but hell, it's probably only rare to be open about it rather than claim/believe it was worth it even if it wasn't!

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Having taken the same class at a community college and an ivy, I would agree that in fact their version of the class was much better and very different in terms of reading, expectations, etc. :shrug:

Mileage varies and it's all relative, of course.

quote:

I enjoyed college, mostly, but don't feel like I got anything of value from it. I certainly don't use anything I learned.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You guys are absolutely in the minority. The "college was a waste!!" crowd is extremely overrepresented online but I very rarely ever hear these types of sentiments in the workplace or between peers my age. In real life, these sentiments usually come explicitly from people without a a degree who are obviously trying to assuage their own insecurities

More power to you if you made it work without any college debt or a degree but navigating the relentlessly competitive Austin market without a degree would be absolute hell for me. I don't envy people in that position here.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My degree is not in any way connected to my job but I think I learned some skills getting through a 4 year state school and getting a BA that do inform my professional life.

My parents helped me though and I came out with only minor student debt as compared to younger millennials so I'm not sure how I would feel about it in a different scenario. A graduate degree in history might leave one in a lot more debt than I have, and I could totally see regretting the debt and/or opportunity cost.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Wiped.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 22, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

therobit posted:

My degree is not in any way connected to my job but I think I learned some skills getting through a 4 year state school and getting a BA that do inform my professional life.

My parents helped me though and I came out with only minor student debt as compared to younger millennials so I'm not sure how I would feel about it in a different scenario. A graduate degree in history might leave one in a lot more debt than I have, and I could totally see regretting the debt and/or opportunity cost.

Look at it this way: people without a college degree end up with the exact same amount of debt because of worthless dumbshit purchases. I found out my oldest brother is well over 40k in debt from all his car loans over the years...that's significantly more than I owe on my Master's. Meanwhile my mom who earns a cool 20k a year somehow drove off a dealer's lot with a 30k car last year....I was pretty livid.

So I don't think the college debt is as debilitating as it might initially appear. We Americans are excellent about getting ourselves into poo poo financial situations regardless. See: this thread

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sundae posted:

Funny... my STEM degree from an Ivy was both difficult AND was good with money!

*points nose of the plane straight down*

See this is why pilots don’t need college degrees.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What about METS degrees?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Sundae posted:

Funny... my STEM degree from an Ivy was both difficult AND was good with money!

*points nose of the plane straight down*

FrozenVent posted:

See this is why pilots don’t need college degrees.
True, some planes point the nose down for them.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

SpartanIvy posted:

Just :lol: if you don't think dick sucking won't be one of the first things automated

Too long for a thread title :(

Also nobody cares who in here graduated from college with no debt. There's been a bunch of self-post reports lately, so try to keep that in mind. I graduated without any debt, but you don't see me talking about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Simpsons Reference posted:

Too long for a thread title :(

Also nobody cares who in here graduated from college with no debt. There's been a bunch of self-post reports lately, so try to keep that in mind. I graduated without any debt, but you don't see me talking about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I'm beginning to think you just like to probing yourself, Smithers.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Hey look, content!

My parents did not pay taxes for 10 years. They now owe the IRS $16,000 and have 6 months to repay. They don't know that I know this and I have no idea what to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/be1b56/my_parents_did_not_pay_taxes_for_10_years_they/ posted:

A lot of this information is coming second hand from my sister, so I apologize if I don't have all of the details.

My parents both work in education and have been very bad with finances my entire life. They declared bankruptcy after taking a mortgage for a house they couldn't afford and for other tax and debt related issues. Both of them quit their jobs to focus on multi level marketing schemes shortly before this happened and are still involved with various multi level marketing schemes to this day. My dad collected his retirement early after quiting his tenured teaching position to start his own small business that eventually failed. My car and my parents cars were impounded because of unpaid debt (the title of my car is still my dad's name). My sister bailed them out by paying close to $5,000 to help settle their debt and to recover their vehicles.

They have since both gone back into education have steady incomes, but continue to live in a large house that they rent at ~$2,000/month even though it's only my parents in the household. My sister and I have tried to convince them to downsize or move into an apartment to reduce this expense but they either can't or won't.

A few months ago I was doing laundry at my parents house while they were both at work (my washer was broken and was being repaired) and a man incessantly knocked on their door. I didn't answer since I assumed it was a salesman and it wasn't my home. When I left I saw an IRS notice taped to their door. I didn't approach the subject with them but mentioned it to my sister to see if she knew anything and she did not.

Fast forward to today. My sister called to update me on the IRS situation. My parents did not pay their taxes for close to 10 years. On the day of my wedding two weeks ago their accounts had been frozen. They have agreed to a payment plan with the IRS for a sum of $16,000 and have 6 months in order to repay or their accounts will be frozen again and I'm assuming their assets (cars) will be seized. My sister and I know that my parents won't be able to pay the IRS that amount in only 6 months. Not only because of their salary, but because of their expenses as well. We both feel trapped and are worried about our parents future and their ability to support themselves through retirement. My sister doesn't want to help them out because she doesn't want to enable their irresponsible behavior and become a safety net for them, and I am on the same page with her. I still want to help them, but I want them to be able to help themselves.

We've decided to have them sit down with my brother-in-law as a neutral party to help them come up with a budget and financial plan for their future and figure out if there's a way to for them to make the payments to the IRS on their own. My sister and I will sit down with them separately to be open and upfront about our unwillingness to help them after how irresponsible they've been.

Beyond that I have no idea what else to do. Again, they have no idea that I know and generally keep their financial problems private from me. I've worked very hard over the last few years to work out the bad financial habits that they instilled in me and I'm able to be in a steady place financially thanks to learning many habits here and through my wife, but I'm not equipped or prepared to handle this.

What are my parents options? Should they consolidate through a tax consolidation company, or could that make them worse off? Should I offer to loan them money?

Sorry for my rambling. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR: Found out my parents owe the IRS $16,000 in unpaid taxes over the last ten years and I don't know what to do or if I should help them with their debt

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Only about 25% of the population has a college degree. Now granted all those Boomers who walked into a Fortune 500 country at 18 and got a job they worked for the next 40 loving years may be skewing those numbers, but we will never have 50+% college graduates in the workforce. A degree will always make you a better candidate. The unemployment rate for college graduates is about 2% and it increases at a much slower rate than the overall unemployment rate during a recession.

This is a really important point of perspective and lol just lol at the people who live in little yuppie bubbles and literally barely know anyone who didn't go to college

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Haifisch posted:

Hey look, content!

My parents did not pay taxes for 10 years. They now owe the IRS $16,000 and have 6 months to repay. They don't know that I know this and I have no idea what to do.

I don't know how taxes work, but only $16,000 after 10 years not paying sounds like a steal. The parents probably cut the deal knowing that they were just borrowing more time until the hammer drops.

I understand the kid's desire to help, but the intervention they describe sounds like a guaranteed poo poo show, especially they're determined to not extend any "loans". Parents haven't asked them for help, so I'd stay out of it.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Shouldn't GoGoGadgetChris be banned from this thread, the same as TB and I? In all fairness and all.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Lowness 72 posted:

What about METS degrees?

GWM for Bobby Bonilla.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Oil! posted:

GWM for Bobby Bonilla.

i think Bobby Bonilla is in the GWM hall of fame

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the best BWM part of that story is that the stupid loving Wilpons offered that annuity to Bonilla on the basis of madoff black box ponzi scheme investments

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

John Smith posted:

Shouldn't GoGoGadgetChris be banned from this thread, the same as TB and I? In all fairness and all.

What why? GGGC is alright

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ixian posted:

True, some planes point the nose down for them.

Too soon? Nope.

You should be banned for quoting someone who is on ignore by most of the people here.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

They have agreed to a payment plan with the IRS for a sum of $16,000 and have 6 months in order to repay or their accounts will be frozen again and

Something's off with this story. I don't think the IRS sets such low repayment deadlines - the streamlined plan for amounts between 10k-25k is 72 months, for example.

The parents are spinning another tale to their children here, one that ends with a request for money.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stolen from relationshits thread.

bad with money nerd posted:

I am using a throwaway since I am moderator on several of the subs that have to do with my hobby of cosplay, anime and hentai. 

This is one of those ones where I see my self as being 80% right but I want to be fair because honestly I depend on my parents for a lot of stuff (rent, tuition, food, car insurance). 

I am huge into cosplay and gaming. It has been my dream to go to a big convention in my cosplay. A friend suggested we got to LVL UP since it has everything we like. The badges aren't super expensive but we decided we wanted to super splurge on accomodations so maybe we could host parties in our room. So the total cost of my trip including everything (airfare, room, estimate for food, badge) is about $3500. I had $2000 that I was supposed to pay towards my credit card but I decided to get the rest I would get a pay day loan this was back in march so the trip is all paid for. 

I wanted to keep it a secret from my parents but I accidentally missed my first payment to the pay day loan and for some god knows how reason the people at the pay day loan place did a search for my name since I as ducking their calls until I could borrow some money from a friend and they called my parents home number looking for me (I can't even imagine this is legal!?!) 

So here's the deal, I'm no like so dense that I don't understand I messed up. I mean I know that I NEED to pay my debts. But here's the deal, I mean I'm only in college once and I only get to do things like LVLUP while I'm young. I also think this was a very normal mistake and my parents should give me enough room to make mistakes and learn from them. 

But my parents are freaking the hell out. My dad has basically said this is it, that after the credit card debt and my grades and now the pay day loan and missing a payment I have shown a level if irresponsibility that he can't trust me any more and I either move home to go to community college and work for his company or he cuts me off for good. As harsh as that was my mom was even worse and she literally screamed at me like cussing names and told me that they didn't raise me like this and I acting like a "spoiled Instagram rear end in a top hat." 

edit: just for clarification I'm 20f. 

Like I said I KNOW I messed up, but am I really an rear end in a top hat?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ixian posted:

Something's off with this story. I don't think the IRS sets such low repayment deadlines - the streamlined plan for amounts between 10k-25k is 72 months, for example.

The parents are spinning another tale to their children here, one that ends with a request for money.

That threw me off too. I know a guy whose had to take out installment loans with the IRS before and they're generally cool with extended terms. They may not like the amount you're offering to pay each month and will counter based on your income, but they don't give you a six month deadline.

Are they asking for the balance in iTunes gift cards too?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

Stolen from relationshits thread.

I like that she made a throwaway account because she doesnt want to tarnish her sterling reputation as the moderator of a hentai subreddit.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

That threw me off too. I know a guy whose had to take out installment loans with the IRS before and they're generally cool with extended terms. They may not like the amount you're offering to pay each month and will counter based on your income, but they don't give you a six month deadline.

Are they asking for the balance in iTunes gift cards too?

Only legit thing I can think of is if the IRS flat out refused a repayment plan (which, while not automatic for amounts over 10k, would be very unusual, particularly these days) and the parents are assuming they have 6 months before the court process runs its course.

That doesn't make much sense either. Really just seems like they are telling their kids the big bad IRS demanded the money within 6 months or they are hosed so please get out the checkbook for Mom&Dad.

poo poo like this really makes me appreciate my parents more. We have a relative who's been like this all his adult life - just one more "loan" to get by and put off having to deal with the real problem (that he is a BWM all-star, basically).

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KingSlime posted:

What why? GGGC is alright
Well, I am banned from this thread for pressing my far-right views and TB was similarly banned for pressing her far-left views. Therefore, by the logic that pressing such extremist views are cause for removal, GGGC should similarly be banned for pressing his far-left views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hutzpah posted:

I like that she made a throwaway account because she doesnt want to tarnish her sterling reputation as the moderator of a hentai subreddit.

And that she gave enough info to probably figure out who she is. How many 20F mods are there of only those subreddits?

E: also if your mom knows what an Instagram rear end in a top hat is and thinks you're one, you are definitely one.