Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Randaconda posted:

I'm the only person who liked Sting. :negative:

Sting was awesome. Especially when he was announced as hailing from "Every man's nightmare!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DLC Inc posted:

who'd he hit? was that in TNA?

he put a chair in Eddie Edward's chest and swing down with a baseball bat, missing the chair completely, hit Eddie in the eye, and broke edwards orbital socket

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it was wildly stupid. The chair was open on Eddie's chest and Sami swung fill force so the bat hit the edge of the chair and then kept travelling into Eddie's face.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Randaconda posted:

I'm the only person who liked Sting. :negative:

Congrats on being 5/6ths of the population of the planet Earth.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Surfer Sting was the best!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I like the more simple moves as finishers. The Jackhammer was just basically a fancy suplex but it looked great.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I like the more simple moves as finishers. The Jackhammer was just basically a fancy suplex but it looked great.

Goldberg had some of the best physical charisma in the ring I've ever seen.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hellblazer187 posted:

The AA is the only one among these that was the finisher of a company ace for close to a decade and treated like death.

The closest comparison would be the rock bottom which is also a fairly lame slam, sold as death because it was the top star doing it. Actually the AA is probably a better finish the that Rock Bottom because at least the elevation is higher, and it was legitimately extremely awesome anytime he did it to big show.

The Rock Bottom might not logically be more powerful than the AA, but it sure looks like it to me, because of the way it's done. Cena's letting go motion for the AA is smooth, making it look soft to my eyes even though the guy is clearly high up in the air and flipping around. The Rock grabs the guy, lifts him up, and holds on while throwing him down, clearly doubling the damage. It makes sense. :colbert:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

extradite THIS! posted:

No, The Rock was cool and any move he did was cool. I've seen many a bad and uncool Rock Bottom.

The End Of Days is pretty much just Corbin giving himself a Rock Bottom and pinning the other dude somehow. Sucks a lot

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I agree with the Jackhammer as a top tier finisher, the powerslam drop is way more impactful looking than a normal suplex landing. This is why Keith Lee's Ground Zero is a great finisher and looks way more strong than the AA.

I always though the World's Strongest Slam was ironically a weak looking slam finisher, despite how powerful Mark Henry was. I never minded the Rock Bottom, it was fine as a kind of uranage variant

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dacap posted:

I agree with the Jackhammer as a top tier finisher, the powerslam drop is way more impactful looking than a normal suplex landing. This is why Keith Lee's Ground Zero is a great finisher and looks way more strong than the AA.

I always though the World's Strongest Slam was ironically a weak looking slam finisher, despite how powerful Mark Henry was. I never minded the Rock Bottom, it was fine as a kind of uranage variant

Fun fact, the Jackhammer was taught to Goldberg by Dean Malenko

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Fun fact, the Jackhammer was taught to Goldberg by Dean Malenko

But Dean did it off the top rope.

If Goldberg had done that to Brock, it would be the greatest moment in WWE history

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Is there a difference between the Sharpshooter and the Scorpion Death Lock??

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

britishbornandbread posted:

Nah.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Artelier posted:

The Rock Bottom might not logically be more powerful than the AA, but it sure looks like it to me, because of the way it's done. Cena's letting go motion for the AA is smooth, making it look soft to my eyes even though the guy is clearly high up in the air and flipping around. The Rock grabs the guy, lifts him up, and holds on while throwing him down, clearly doubling the damage. It makes sense. :colbert:

I think there's also not a lot of opportunity to make the fall down look like it has extra impact because of the way it's done. Most of their body is way away from Cena's when they actually hit the mat, so he can't do something like use his other arm to make it seem like there's extra impact on their lower back (where the velocity would be the greatest)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Randaconda posted:

But Dean did it off the top rope.

If Goldberg had done that to Brock, it would be the greatest moment in WWE history

The only time I ever saw Dean do it, just a standing version in NJPW to Eddie

Dean did have that crazy millitary press to rib-breaker off the top that I liked though

What I'm saying is that Dean Malenko was neat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember watching Malenko for several weeks in WCW, and thinking, "Holy poo poo, that dude's awesome!"

Then I saw him on a WCW Saturday Night against Sting and thinking, "Holy poo poo, that dude's tiny!"

He still ruled, however.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What the hell was with Gary Spivey showing up in WCW? Did someone just see the inherent humor in pairing him with Orndorff or was he a fan?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I've always heard that they were trying to do a genuine cross-promotion.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

I've always heard that they were trying to do a genuine cross-promotion.

Same.

Also

http://wrestlecrap.com/inductions/classic-induction-gary-spivey-here-esp-means-extra-sucking-power/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

britishbornandbread posted:

Officially no

Me as a kid: sharpshooter was left leg, scorpion deathlock was right

Deathlock looked better

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I judge wrestling moves based on how cool their names are to yell out on the playground, and thus the Scorpion Deathlock is far cooler than the Sharpshooter

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

How Come the wrestler sting didn't have a scorpion tail on his ring gear or entrance attire.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
he did

bartok
May 10, 2006

Lid posted:

Officially no

Me as a kid: sharpshooter was left leg, scorpion deathlock was right

Deathlock looked better

Strongly disagree. Bret Hart's Sharpshooter looked way better. Then again I was a massive Bret Hart fan as a kid so I might be biased.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Lid posted:

he did

I think he was asking why he didn't have a fake scorpion tail on his back.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

How come wrestler sting didn't wear face paint

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Has anybody been injured by a rock bottom?

People have been injured by piledrivers.

Edit: lol at calling any move "completely safe"

Please name one person who has been injured by a traditional piledriver.

Edit: I mean to say "completely protected" but I'll go with completely safe. I'm sure there's someone who has been injured by one since people get injured on hip tosses, but I can't think of one.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 22, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

orndorff injured himself doing a piledriver so no one should ever do one

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Most obvious answer is Owen but that was a jumping variant wasn't it?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

Most obvious answer is Owen but that was a jumping variant wasn't it?

The piledriver Owen broke Austin's neck with is closer to a tombstone than a traditional piledriver.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

The piledriver Owen broke Austin's neck with is closer to a tombstone than a traditional piledriver.

Yeah I looked it up and you're right.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
I was gonna say Chono but no Austin broke his neck with the same exact sitout tombstone that Owen broke his with. Weird

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rear end holes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Let's not forget The Undertaker is so sloppy with the tombstone he hurt Hulk Hogan's neck and caused him to lose feeling in his arm for years after their match and Hogan's head didn't even hit the ground.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2013/08/video-bj-whitmer-injured-after-taking-piledriver-on-the-564609/

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Like obviously if you do it exactly right and the pressure is taken on the wrestler's thighs, it's no problem. But if you gently caress it up, it's a big problem. How would it even be possible to gently caress up a Rock Bottom?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
By ending up with a lot more potential energy from being ~6 and half to 7 feet up in the air at your highest point and taking that a bunch because it is just repeated stressed of a moderate amount.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Hellblazer187 posted:

Like obviously if you do it exactly right and the pressure is taken on the wrestler's thighs, it's no problem. But if you gently caress it up, it's a big problem. How would it even be possible to gently caress up a Rock Bottom?

The flat-back bump is one of the most dangerous bumps to take in all of wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Hellblazer187 posted:

By doing it on Kota Ibushi.