Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

pseudorandom name posted:

if your insulin pump has those kind of security vulnerabilities you can combine them with a blood glucose monitor and your own custom software to create an artificial pancreas

calling anything that isn't actually a closed loop an "artificial pancreas" is.. not quite correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

, they wont even let me gently caress the police

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Shame Boy posted:

i got another new variant of the "i have your password!!" emails,

Security Thread v18.2 - your front camera shoots video every time you masturbate

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Security Thread v18.2 - your front camera shoots video every time you masturbate

so thats why my parents put a post it over the camera on their imac

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

it turns out the huawei hackers were actually just part of the dumb tariff war and suddenly not a threat because we made a deal

@onlyyoontv posted:

By my tally, so far #China gets:
-no new tariffs
-access to US tech for Huawei
-better visa treatments for Chinese students
-truce on #tradewar (resumption of talks)
US gets: -bigger purchases for farmers

Now that we've established holding people/companies hostage as "cyber criminals" to get trade deals done expect this to happen over and over and over again for a few decades

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 29, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Beamed posted:

calling anything that isn't actually a closed loop an "artificial pancreas" is.. not quite correct

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/systems/closed-loop-system.html

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

openPGP SKS Keyserver Network Under Attack

quote:

The software is Byzantine. The standard keyserver software is called SKS, for "Synchronizing Key Server". A bright fellow named Yaron Minsky devised a brilliant algorithm that could do reconciliations very quickly. It became the keystone of his Ph.D thesis, and he wrote SKS originally as a proof of concept of his idea. It's written in an unusual programming language called OCaml, and in a fairly idiosyncratic dialect of it at that. This is of course no problem for a proof of concept meant to support a Ph.D thesis, but for software that's deployed in the field it makes maintenance quite difficult. Not only do we need to be bright enough to understand an algorithm that's literally someone's Ph.D thesis, but we need expertise in obscure programming languages and strange programming customs.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my dell laptop has that nice low angle nostril cam which I'm sure makes it look good

edit: you can really see my deviated septum with this thing lol

akadajet fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 29, 2019

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

not sure if this is some joke that's 43% beyond my level or not, but when talking about artificial pancreas, insulin pumps, etc., closed loop is used to mean an insulin pump capable of not only automatically responding and adjusting to highs and variation in glucose levels over a day, but also automatically responding to food/digestion and injecting the appropriate amount of insulin, like how a pancreas does in someone without an autoimmune disease. this will be probably the biggest gain since the insulin pump itself when developed, so people calling current insulin pumps artificial pancreases is probably just residual from marketing from shitheads like Medtronic

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

my dell laptop has that nice low angle nostril cam which I'm sure makes it look good

edit: you can really see my deviated septum with this thing lol

yeah i have a work xps13 and a window behind my back (office space is an unfortunate cube with bay windows where sun shines full blast until like 2pm), so on every skype call i'm basically an imposing drug cartel figurehead b/c i tower over this child-sized laptop and the lighting comes in from my back

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i probably should just order a desk lamp or something so i can light myself up for videocalls

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also if you're doing regular videocalls in the office it is worth it picking up a cheap logitech webcam and placing it properly. they vastly outperform whatever you get builtin, for both checking your nostrils and playacting being the smoking man.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also if you're doing regular videocalls in the office it is worth it picking up a cheap logitech webcam and placing it properly. they vastly outperform whatever you get builtin, for both checking your nostrils and playacting being the smoking man.

thinking about that too. being procurement guy for office though, i had to employ scorched earth tactics to raise new hire workstation computer mouse budget to $35 so a webcam may be a bit of a hard sell :v:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i bought a selfie light and once i stopped feeling silly about it my video calls got way better

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i probably should just order a desk lamp or something so i can light myself up for videocalls

get a ring light and a yeti mic. you’ll be the king of conference calls

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vomik posted:

get a ring light and a yeti mic. you’ll be the king of conference calls

i have a xiami led lamp thing for that at home and it's real good yeah. no yeti though, i don't plan on having any heated gaming moments

speaking of xiaomi and back to thread topic, that desk lamp is really thirsty for some wifi lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i have a xiami led lamp thing for that at home and it's real good yeah. no yeti though, i don't plan on having any heated gaming moments

speaking of xiaomi and back to thread topic, that desk lamp is really thirsty for some wifi lol

FULLY ONLINE ILLUMINATION

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Got some pretty Normal folks in the comments

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Midjack posted:

FULLY ONLINE ILLUMINATION

there is a companion app for smartphones to remotely adjust brightness and colour temperature of the lamp, but it only works over wifi :thunk:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

lol

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Jesus Christ

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

yeah, that's a reaso... oh god no

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

that post did not go in the direction i was expecting

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
calling OCaml obscure enough to prevent people from hacking on it is pretty lol though

e:

goddamit that third part...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the illegal numbers argument is always amusing wherever i see it come up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh yes, Security through Obscurity, the most secure of all :thunk:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

there is a companion app for smartphones to remotely adjust brightness and colour temperature of the lamp, but it only works over wifi :thunk:

one of my neighbors was complaining that their new sleep number bed would only let them use the app if it got a wifi connection but the actual app set up happens over Bluetooth lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shame Boy posted:

china was not and never would have been a member of the TPP if that's what you mean so i'm not sure how that would have worked

The purpose of the TPP was specifically to exclude china, so yes that would be how you "deal with" an economic adversary. Not that the TPP was necessarily good though.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

So, is this the new normal now? Rotating keys more frequently? I'm scared and don't understand.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

CmdrRiker posted:

So, is this the new normal now? Rotating keys more frequently? I'm scared and don't understand.

it's not an attack on the keys, it's a DoS attack on GnuPG by feeding it a hundred thousand signatures to verify each time it tries to use a targeted certificate for any reason

the op of that gist is really really "i wish you get hit by a bus" mad because he hasn't done anything about garbage signature flooding in a decade so they did it to his key as motivation

lots of "think of the chinese dissidents" garbage that is summed up as "i told them to use this known-broken software for years and now the state can target them so my self-loathing needs a target that's not me"

in fact most of it is dodging blame
"i don't know a beginners programming language that the core of the project i maintain is written in, so i just don't touch it"
"why did the EFF pay for a proof of concept attack against our proof-of-concept service :qq:"
"it's just too hard to upgrade a few dozen servers, it's not trivial like every single webserver in the world or every access point ever made when flaws were found in SSL and WEP!"

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Harik posted:

"why did the EFF pay for a proof of concept attack

wait, what

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Rufus Ping posted:

wait, what
from the other whiny sober assesment from rjh after the first one got hijacked by the "illegal numbers" guy.

quote:

Special criticism goes to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which paid Micah Lee to publish premade attack tools to exploit these design misfeatures in the keyserver network. Oh, sure, "academic freedom" and "it was about research". I don't know if Micah's trollwot toolkit was used in the most recent attacks. I know that if I was writing an attack tool that's where I'd start from.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
"why does my software have to be legal?" may have influenced the guy defending the 17 illegal numbers

quote:

We ignored them, which was the right thing to do. You don't let people who don't understand problems dictate which problems will be solved.

Then came September 2010. One keyserver operator in the European Union, Peter Pramberger, found himself facing a lawsuit by an OpenPGP user who was angry he could not have his email address deleted from the keyservers. Under EU data privacy regulations he had the right to demand this, but the keyserver network specifically lacked the capability to comply. It was designed that way for a reason.

i posted about this in the gray thread as well so not going to quote all the astounding levels of out-of-touch histrionics to be found, but it's pretty bad

quote:

I tremble with fear for how people I know in hostile regimes are currently at risk of having their tools broken — and then I look at the preening self-righteousness of those louts who feel entitled to burn things down just to make a point.

They have no idea the damage they do.

And more to the point, I genuinely don't think they care, either.

it's the cries of a late-90s overly trusting protocol being shown the harsh realities of modern computing. if that sounds familiar, it's because of the brilliant idea to exit(0) for specifically-crafted forged messages so everyone integrating with them had to special-case the check for a localized version of the warning it spit out along with the forged message, then blamed everyone else for using their software at allwrong.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, the gists make him look extremely bad, esp. the part about how these actions put people in hostile regimes at risk!!1!1!!.

Seriously, what would possibly make you think that the hostile regimes are incapable of attacking infrastructure that has more holes than cheese?

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
This whole thread makes him look bad

https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2018-January/059751.html

It's like a timeline of every hostile FOSS manchild argument even made rolled into one thread

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Beccara posted:

This whole thread makes him look bad

https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2018-January/059751.html

It's like a timeline of every hostile FOSS manchild argument even made rolled into one thread

take one second to imagine what he looks like then lookup his profile picture. you won't be wrong.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GnuPG is fine for the things most people actually use it for but the whole web of trust thing is dumb so it's unsurprising that someone maintaining the keyserver software would be delusional.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
crosspost from the grey forum: https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002284834-Windows-Set-Folder-Permissions

star citizen telling you to disable UAC without also telling you to re-enable it or warning you it's a bad idea in any way, as a mechanism for troubleshooting

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

abigserve posted:

crosspost from the grey forum: https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002284834-Windows-Set-Folder-Permissions

star citizen telling you to disable UAC without also telling you to re-enable it or warning you it's a bad idea in any way, as a mechanism for troubleshooting

did star citizen come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

akadajet posted:

did star citizen come out?

It depends on what the discussion is.

If you're talking about how they're incompetent and take forever to implement the things they've promised then actually the game is out and you can play it right now!

If you're talking about how the thing they've released is buggy as poo poo and laughably incomplete compared to what they've promised then actually it's just a test build, the game isn't released yet and it will be awesome when it is.