Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Long before Season 3 was ever announced, I used to wish that my favorite comic book artist, Mike Allred, could work with Lynch and Frost on a Twin Peaks graphic novel or comic book miniseries that wrapped up the loose ends from Season 2 and Fire Walk With Me. Anyone familiar with his style should agree that he would have been a great fit.

Well, Allred illustrated a graphic novel biography of David Bowie, due out in January 2020, and it should be mind-blowing. This week he started revealing some sample panels, including this one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz6R2hng_o5/?igshid=15yk7h566tsvr

https://twitter.com/LucasFerrero83/status/1150503245317623809

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool! Love comics, and Mike is cool.

Speaking of cool, just finished the audiobook of Room to Dream, that is 16 hours of excellence. Lots of great stories well told, a delight.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
TIFF has been showing Lynch films for the last few weeks and I'm heading to see FWWM tonight. Figure it's going to be quite an experience on the big screen.

They'll be showing S3 episodes 1, 2 and 8 in a couple of weeks as well.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
The Diane podcast is still putting out episodes and they’re worth checking out (they’re alternating between rewatch recaps of episodes and overall theme episodes)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kaworu posted:

It makes me really happy to hear that I wasn't the only one who felt that there was something kinda magical/special about watching and discussing Twin Peaks, that summer. It definitely was a memorable experience for me, and I hadn't felt that involved or passionate about anything media or pop-culture related in a VERY long time. In some ways it actually made me feek young, which was really the opposite of what I expected.

Something that I love more and more and more and more every time I watch them are the phone scenes between Michael Horse (Hawk) and Catherine Coulson (Margaret "Log-Lady" Lanterman) on the phone. Those just... It's clear that the phone calls became increasingly more about the pain Margaret/Catherine was in at the time, and it's impossible to NOT hear her struggling with each and every single breath. Hawk's side feels somewhat disconnected from her, but it kind of works due to the vague weirdness that permeates the use of telephones (especially cellular ones) through the series' course. It seems significant that both Hawk and Margaret are using land-lines. But anyway, the last couples scenes with those two on the phone just gets more and more devastating. "There's some fear in letting go. My log is turning gold. The wind is moaning. I'm dying... Good night, Hawk."

It''s the knowledge that she was truly dying, and really speaking to Lynch as he was the only other person in the room at the time, I think. It's very emotionally direct and intense for Lynch - reminds me of the deeply empathetic, grounded Lynch who is more in touch with the concrete realities of what it means to live a life of suffering and unfulfilled desires; basically, I'm referring to the Lynch who directed The Elephant Man and The Straight Story. Someone in this thread once made a great point about The Return, and I will try not to totally butcher it in paraphrasing it - they said that it was kind of like Lynch's final big "thesis statement" or final product at the end of his career, that have him a chance to utilize and flesh out a lot of the kinda stuff he's been doing in various media - frog moths, musical acts in nearly every episode, etc etc. There was something a little indulgent about some of the scenes, but Lynch's indulgences tend to also be my indulgences - like Cera doing an a perfectly loquacious "Wild One"-era Brando.

I just want to take a moment to shame everyone in the thread for being mean to the best poster in the thread about anime that one time

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Kaworu made a really touching post (imo) in the Stranger Things thread and I will never give them a hard time ever again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kaworu has always been cool.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

TheBizzness posted:

Kaworu made a really touching post (imo) in the Stranger Things thread and I will never give them a hard time ever again.

Was gonna say same, but in the Eva thread :3: dunno if I gave Kaworu a shout out there or not, but loved that recent effortpost

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Aww, thank you guys :glomp: I love you all too! It feels really really nice to hear that those posts mean something to other people, because I *do* put effort into them. I'm pretty bad at being insincere and a troll, so it's good to know my sometimes painfully sincere posts work out sometimes :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kaworu posted:

Aww, thank you guys :glomp: I love you all too! It feels really really nice to hear that those posts mean something to other people, because I *do* put effort into them. I'm pretty bad at being insincere and a troll, so it's good to know my sometimes painfully sincere posts work out sometimes :)

Your posts are everything I wish the internet could be. Seriously it’s appreciated and a breath of fresh air from the strangely insincere and mean spirited way so many people interact online.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Walrus posted:

I just want to take a moment to shame everyone in the thread for being mean to the best poster in the thread about anime that one time

we kid because we love

i'm glad twin peaks season 3 happened and i'm glad we all got to post about it. we should do a thread watch-through some time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'm glad twin peaks season 3 happened and i'm glad we all got to post about it. we should do a thread watch-through some time.

I'm already got so much to watch and catch up on and there simply isn't enough time in the day and gently caress it because yes absolutely loving yes this would be awesome.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finish Sopranos writeups first motherfucker (man I really need to catch up, I only just finished season 2 and I need to make sure I’m up to date for the final season so I can argue with people who think the last episodes aren’t very good)

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm glad twin peaks season 3 happened and i'm glad we all got to post about it. we should do a thread watch-through some time.
yes please

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

we kid because we love

I'm extremely down for this. We'd be viewing it through a different lens but we might still catch things that we'd missed before.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Voting hard yes for thread rewatch.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I really need to do a full series rewatch, I haven't even ever seen all of season 2. Planned to before S3 started but you know how that stuff goes. It was amazing watching S3 live, it's still mind boggling that something like this was on tv every week for a season, just amazing surrealist television.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Last time I tried to do a rewatch I burned out at episode 7

This show is actually better as a couple eps a week and not a binge

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Oh hell yeah. I haven't done a rewatch since my ex moved, but I got to keep the Blu-rays :getin: So I'm ready whenever!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I feel like I'd be bad at organizing this, but if Dr. Fishopolis or someone else wants to set this up, I'll put all the details in the OP.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I'd definitely be in for a once or twice per week rewatch. But all the seasons or just 3? The whole series I hope. :colbert:

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

I really need to do a full series rewatch, I haven't even ever seen all of season 2. Planned to before S3 started but you know how that stuff goes. It was amazing watching S3 live, it's still mind boggling that something like this was on tv every week for a season, just amazing surrealist television.

Is anything after Leeland's death in season 2 that important? Windom Earle is rightfully ignored. Okay, Annie appears in the movie, but that's it basically. I skimmed through it mostly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

AstroWhale posted:

Is anything after Leeland's death in season 2 that important? Windom Earle is rightfully ignored. Okay, Annie appears in the movie, but that's it basically. I skimmed through it mostly.

There's little bits of Lodge lore throughout, so my position has always been don't skip anything. And the Season 2 finale is absolutely crucial.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

There's little bits of Lodge lore throughout, so my position has always been don't skip anything. And the Season 2 finale is absolutely crucial.

Yeah the finale is crucial.
But I cannot stomach that stuff with Ben, Josie or James. Or the "Doppelganger". :cmon:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AstroWhale posted:

Yeah the finale is crucial.
But I cannot stomach that stuff with Ben, Josie or James. Or the "Doppelganger". :cmon:

:cmon: yourself, General Ben Horne is one of the highlights of Season 2.

At least you didn't say you couldn't watch the Nadine storyline, those would be fighting words.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Yeah, don’t skip anything. If you’re gonna watch twin peaks, watch twin peaks. It’s all twin peaks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

zelah posted:

Yeah, don’t skip anything. If you’re gonna watch twin peaks, watch twin peaks. It’s all twin peaks.

The only storyline where I can really understand the temptation to skip is that James/car storyline. In my last rewatch I got through those by just trying to see the funny side in how absolutely worthless and unnecessary that entire storyline was.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zelah posted:

Even the cringeworthy stuff makes sense at the very end if you think about it.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:
I don't post here often but have followed this thread from the getgo

Most of you are cool and good even kaworu

Hell fucken yeah to a thread rewatch too

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
Please watch all of season 2 and a fun drinking game is to pull a shot everytime you see Evelyn Marsh's stained tooth

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If we're doing a thread rewatch, I've got all the Blu-Rays I can burn and a 4K monitor so I can take 4K screenshots if anyone wants them for a wallpaper or whatever.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

:cmon: yourself, General Ben Horne is one of the highlights of Season 2.

At least you didn't say you couldn't watch the Nadine storyline, those would be fighting words.

i forgot that...
I skipped that, too.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever done a group re-watch of anything, but I'm in!

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Rageaholic posted:

If we're doing a thread rewatch, I've got all the Blu-Rays I can burn and a 4K monitor so I can take 4K screenshots if anyone wants them for a wallpaper or whatever.

hghhhnnnnnnnnn 4k screenshots of almost any scene in s3 :dudsmile:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
How dare you skip Dick Tremayne and little Nicky.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Oh, screenshots, you say? I posted this a while back...

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Looking for some wallpaper?

https://imgur.com/a/cFmGB

Apologies if this has been posted before.

EDIT - It's high-resolution captures from all through Episode 8.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm in for a rewatch if and only if we start from the beginning because I haven't seen S3

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

zelah posted:

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually finally watched all of Twin Peaks for the first time back in 2017, and only completed Fire Walk With Me about 2-3 weeks into season 3. So yes, unlike the rest of the world there was literally ZERO downtime for me between the end of the first TV run and film and watching season 3.

I am so loving glad I mostly got to watch season 3 week to week though, God what a wild loving ride that was.