Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Someone made a flag mashup bot on Twitter. It's had some controversial political moments and some wonderful wonkiness

https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1167497223128662017
https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1168667431239344128
https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1168425837558935552
:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1166392868501643264

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's not a bot

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

Not in a million years, so tell me what the movie says a ship lain down in 1940 brings to the fight that a modern carrier group can't
Would an Iowa class even be a match for a Ticonderoga?

You haven't seen the movie so I mean, the plot is basically about justifying that cool set piece moment. It's pretty much all they got on hand basically and its main purpose is to shell the alien comms site.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

zoux posted:

Not in a million years, so tell me what the movie says a ship lain down in 1940 brings to the fight that a modern carrier group can't
Would an Iowa class even be a match for a Ticonderoga?

It’s a movie loosely based on a board game (as in they took the title of a board game and added aliens).

Also it has Rihanna teaming up with ww2 vets.

I’ll admit I respect the movie for including the double amputee dude

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes and everyone itt is saying it’s good and I think I’m being gaslit

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Sometimes movies are so bad they’re good, or at least fun to watch.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

zoux posted:

I'm not sure good is the right word. It was enjoyable. I enjoyed it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

Mussolini called Leros the "Corregidor of the Mediterranean", meanwhile Americans called Corregidor the "Gibraltar of the East". I think this type of thing needs to spread more, I want to know who is the Montgomery of Russia or Göring of America!
the guy who wrote gunpowder and galleys called the caribbean the mediterrenean of the western atlantic

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I enjoyed it the same way I enjoyed Independence Day, really.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HEY GUNS posted:

the guy who wrote gunpowder and galleys called the caribbean the mediterrenean of the western atlantic

He’s not the only one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've often referred to the Med as "the Euribbian"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

aphid_licker posted:

Someone made a flag mashup bot on Twitter. It's had some controversial political moments and some wonderful wonkiness

https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1168992094096113665

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Some Paradox developer right now is feverishly mopping his brow and so tempted to save those images...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Are you sure that isn't a flag for Xbox?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Nebakenezzer posted:

(I know gazetted means "made" and this has something to do with some tradition where, I don't know, their name is written down, possibly in The Gazette, but it still throws me slightly.)
By my understanding if you are gazetted it's a promotion for the duration of the war and you revert back to your 'real' rank later and for pensions purposes. I could be utterly wrong though.

Raenir Salazar posted:

IIRC they are hostile, but they happened to have a fairly well developed rules of engagement. They absolutely struck first at military stuff and we're clearly preparing for an invasion, but might have not been like war crimey about it.
The very first thing that happens to them is that one of their ships gets swatted by a high velocity projectile in low earth orbit that we'd recognise as a communications satellite but they might not. My interpretation of what happened in the movie is that both sides thought the other side started shooting first and the conflict escalates from there. It's a terrible, terrible movie but there's actually quite a lot going on behind the board-stiff acting, horrible dialogue and ridiculous central plot.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Dunkirk:

-British soldiers getting shot up at the start in a French town, walk for 5 minutes and are at the beaches of Dunkirk, then wait forever until they get lifted off the beaches or stay behind. Makes no sense for the opening scene.
-The long shot of everyone and everything on the beach was cool, but felt like they spent all their budget for that scene as the later beach scenes didn't look anywhere near the same.
-Not as many bombings/shellings of the beaches as I would have expected
-Very little French representation
-He-111 rear gunners don't sound like that!
-While I liked the multiple stories, it cut too frequently between them without keeping the viewer informed as to when things were taking place. I recall timestamps, but for such a long movie, maybe a different approach would've been better.
-Running out of fuel, gliding all the way to Dunkirk, landing in sand, and then burning down your own plane is very weird considering how he was gliding over lines of men waiting to be picked up and suddenly its night outside. And the pilot never thought to ditch in the sea next to an evacuating boat.

Its been a while so I may be forgetting/confounding stuff but those were my biggest gripes with the movie. Good, but not great.
And the dogfights were bloody awful. Mid War Spits and Buchons waggling their wings at each other in an FAA approved fashion because by God we can't use CGI, everyone knows it looks terrible.

FrangibleCover fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 4, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O my god how did I forget that that the aliens shoot projectiles shaped like pegs from the game.

I'm dying right now.

Y'all can talk about how silly the drifting boat is or anything else, but that's the funniest thing. Just that one tiny sad attempt at being "true" to the game of loving Battleship as they made it a movie.

loving peg-missiles.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Battleship cost half as much as a space shuttle launch and it's climax involves the USS Missouri doing its best Initial D impression at an alien communication station, it's a completely stupid movie that is like MST3K fodder except for the massive budget and I love every stupid second of that action. The dialogue and acting is cringeworthy but I nearly died laughing when all the old vets go right back to their battlestations like nothing changed at all, it's the second best use of the USS Missouri in media.

Number One is still the Mighty Mo dueling Mt. Snakemore at the end of MGS4.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Battleship is one of those movies that makes me think about the 30rock bit where the writers say ‘I LOVE THAT WE CAN WORK ON COCAINE!’

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

zoux posted:

Now hold on there buddy I never once said it was "good"

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Hi I think somebody in this thread once recommended Locating Privacy in Tudor London by Lena Cowen Orlin (HEY GUNS maybe?), and it somehow made it onto my reading list. I finally read it, and it was excellent! So thanks to whichever that was, it's a great read.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you don't enjoy Battleship you hate fun

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

Hi I think somebody in this thread once recommended Locating Privacy in Tudor London by Lena Cowen Orlin (HEY GUNS maybe?), and it somehow made it onto my reading list. I finally read it, and it was excellent! So thanks to whichever that was, it's a great read.
sweet but i think this is the terrible movies thread now

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm watching battleship and what is Rihanna's job

Also my lord this movie is racist

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She’s an actress, OP.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Iron Rose posted:

hey iron rose, long time no see

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

She's busy being Rihianna.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GUNS posted:

From a literal point of view this makes sense, just like for the Baltic Sea which is also right medi of two terrains.

zoux posted:

I've often referred to the Med as "the Euribbian"

"Eufribbian" or "Afreubbian" would be more inclusive.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

From a literal point of view this makes sense, just like for the Baltic Sea which is also right medi of two terrains.
from the point of view of glorious galley combat, the baltic is a cold med

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Iron Rose posted:

https://www.vulture.com/2012/05/read-every-line-rihanna-says-in-battleship.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rihanna posted:

“Yo, Saunders, ever been in a department run by some kind of Donald Trump/Mike Tyson mutant combo?”

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GUNS posted:

from the point of view of glorious galley combat, the baltic is a cold med

Mare Frostrum

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

overmind2000 posted:

It's honestly insane to think of the Germans pulling off a triphibious assault in late 1943 and even more so when you consider that they not only won but held the territory gained until the end of the war. It may be the final lasting German victory aside from maybe the Battle of Garfagnana which when you think about was also the only successful Italian offensive of the entire war :v:

Italy did conquer Albania and Ethiopia.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
iirc Albania didn't really put up a fight

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

That is correct, Albania simply joined Italy after threats of invasion. I forget what happened to the King (Zog, iirc)

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That is correct, Albania simply joined Italy after threats of invasion. I forget what happened to the King (Zog, iirc)

He fled to Greece, then to France and finally to England when France was invaded and ended up settling in France post war (as a lot of disparate monarchs did).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
They should've heeded the warning of Zog the immortal.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

Italy did conquer Albania and Ethiopia.

Not in World War 2 it didn't. It already occupied the place before the war.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Albania is a good example of the disaster that was Italian policy before and during WWII. Albania was small, poor, had no real natural resources and was politically and economically dominated by Italy. All the invasion did was replace a friendly Albania with an upset occupied people that the Italians had to suppress

Most of the things Italy did was like that. Invading Ethiopia, when the only easy access to it by sea was the British controlled Suez Canal, abandoning the Stesa Front when converted effort was the only thing to stop Germany invading Austria, invading France for...Menton? Nice? Corsica? Djibouti?

If the Italian government had stayed neutral, it could have probably survived into the 50s, at least. Instead, it got itself involved in a war it was politically and technologically unable to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

FrangibleCover posted:

By my understanding if you are gazetted it's a promotion for the duration of the war and you revert back to your 'real' rank later and for pensions purposes. I could be utterly wrong though.

I think you're thinking of 'brevet', which is when you get awarded a higher rank title as an award for gallantry/exceptional conduct etc. but you only get the title, not the authority, pay or pension. As far as the British forces goes it only applied to the Army, and then it was mostly related to the old pre-1871 system of purchasing commissions, whereby a senior officer could hold a much higher brevet rank than their paid-for commission within their regiment. Such officers would (as far as I can make out!) use their substantial rank when on regimental business and their brevet rank when on more general Army staff business. The system was dismantled in the 19th century but the awarding of brevet ranks continued as a form of honours for quite a while. You still see references to Colonel (Bvt. Maj Gen) so-and-so in WW1 records.

'Gazetting' is simply shorthand for 'made/promoted to'. The London Gazette has been the British state's journal of record since the 1660s and is the official channel for announcing royal, parliamentary and military business. All commissions and subsequent officer promotions, mentions-in-dispatches, medals and honours were (and still are) published in the Gazette. Until the rise of mass print-media the Gazette also carried re-prints of dispatches and war reports so a military officer's career could be followed in some detail by reading it. While a commission doesn't have to be printed in the Gazette to be official, it was traditionally the only way that anyone in the wider military and society knew who was being appointed to what ranks so de facto it became that an appointment really only became 'real' when it was 'gazetted'.