Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They are doing a pretty good job with DLC for these games, They probably could of really nickle and dimed people and charged for individual units like 5$ for huntsmen 10$ for dread saurians and 20$ per faction leader and you'd of had people in the thread coming in defending it saying "It's just a fraction of the tabletop prices, what's the big deal"

So it's nice having some good value DLC for 10$ every few months spicing up new campaigns.

They are doing an excellent job actually.
This latest DLC cost like 8EUR which is what you pay for a lovely low tier premium tank in WoT a "F2P" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Sea of Claws being so drat small is what makes Norsca a constant pain in the rear end. Sometimes I'm glad Bretonnia is so eager to take settlements in that hellhole, and then not so glad when they start ganking northern Imperial provinces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brettonia has thus far been pissing about in frenchy land and not doing anything productive. Norsca on the other hand has been doing basically nothing but raid the northern coast.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OwlFancier posted:

Brettonia has thus far been pissing about in frenchy land and not doing anything productive. Norsca on the other hand has been doing basically nothing but raid the northern coast.
I usually just garrison an army up in Nordland's port city and have it burn down the two nearby Norscan settlements any time they get settled. This allows you to nuke whatever army they have while it is weak (having just colonized). It turns into a nice little honeypot. The army never sits idle long. Edit: and if you are feeling frisky you can get the army in a good position near one of those settlements to Sack then Encamp and just chain sack it to get the general a lot of XP.

edit2: Then again I'm a bad that gets annoyed dealing with endless doomstacks on the harder difficulties so I am always on Normal so its easier to afford an extra army to stick up there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 4, 2019

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Less smoothskins more SKIIIIIIIKNSSSSSSSS

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1168928612210401281

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I usually just garrison an army up in Nordland's port city and have it burn down the two nearby Norscan settlements any time they get settled. This allows you to nuke whatever army they have while it is weak (having just colonized). It turns into a nice little honeypot. The army never sits idle long. Edit: and if you are feeling frisky you can get the army in a good position near one of those settlements to Sack then Encamp and just chain sack it to get the general a lot of XP.

edit2: Then again I'm a bad that gets annoyed dealing with endless doomstacks on the harder difficulties so I am always on Normal so its easier to afford an extra army to stick up there.

I'm playing SFO on Hard so I actually don't have the resources to launch a campaign against Norsca on their home turf, cos that attrition is murder and I can't replen on the sea.

I'm too busy conquering the rest of the empire anyway.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Some more info from Grace on how confideration works with Nakai.

quote:

If you confederate Nakai:
Nakai’s hordes turn into normal armies and join your faction, Nakai’s vassal is also confederated into your own gaining their regions/armies.

If Nakai confederates someone:
The faction being confederated has all of their regions given to Nakai’s vassal, with all of the factions armies becoming hordes and joining your faction.

Sounds just about how I’d want it to work. Can’t wait to have my vassal own the entire world through peace or by mace.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty new to Total War games, only played a bit of this (High Elves Tyrion Vortex) and Three Kingdoms. What should I be doing with Vampire Coast? I picked Count Noctilus since he had an easy rated start. After playing a high elves campaign I can make zero sense of this faction. Most of the front line infantry also has ranged attack but sometimes just seems to sit there and die instead of firing. Do I just raid/plunder coastal towns or should I be trying to occupy stuff? Which units are not complete rear end?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm pretty new to Total War games, only played a bit of this (High Elves Tyrion Vortex) and Three Kingdoms. What should I be doing with Vampire Coast? I picked Count Noctilus since he had an easy rated start. After playing a high elves campaign I can make zero sense of this faction. Most of the front line infantry also has ranged attack but sometimes just seems to sit there and die instead of firing. Do I just raid/plunder coastal towns or should I be trying to occupy stuff? Which units are not complete rear end?

Vampire Coast's infantry is mostly there to hold the line while your handgunners murder everything (see also: new Skaven DLC). Guns can be kind of difficult since they need line of sight, but if you can get them on a hill or to the side of the enemy they'll chew through them. The faction has a lot of bonuses to ranged damage and ammunition and their artillery is pretty good as well. Generally I run a LL, a Vampire captain with Depths magic hero, and maybe a crazy inflatable arm guy for heroes, and then a shitload of guns and whatever the minimum chaff seems to be to hold the line successfully.

Your basic infantry are just a speed bump to let your gunners engage. You eventually get crabs, who are a tar pit that bites back and your gunners can aim around. There are also Depth Guard, who look like they're tanky but it's a lie. They regenerate when in combat but you need to let your chaff engage first because if Depth Guard get beat on before getting into the fight they'll crumple.

jerry seinfel fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 4, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If you set guard mode in your ranged units they will still fire when part of the regiment is engaged in melee.

Deckhands will also fire while moving, which makes them fantastic at chasing. Your zombie units are easily replaceable with raise dead, so don't be afraid to lose them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't own them but in my experience fighting them, you want as many cannon crabs as possible, that's it :v:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

The Gunslinger posted:

The great thing about, and the curse of, the vampirate campaign is that you can do pretty much what you want. Want to occupy territory? Go ahead. Want to play like a horde and level up your flagship? Be our guest. My limited experience is that you don't want to do everything at once. Pick an area to play in and a tech path and stick to it for a while. With Noctilis, pick a cardinal direction to go and spread out from there. Focusing on growth for your flagship is always the right choice, however.

Basic recommendations for units and tactics:
Zombie pirate gunnery mobs with handguns are fantastic. Aim to get those ASAP - you can never have enough of them early game. Add couple of mortars and a meat shield of your regular deck hand mobs and you can clean up early. Avoid bombers and hand cannon zombies, as they are tricky to use. Crabs and hulks are decent line breakers, but don't depend on them. Depth guard and mornghuls, while fantastic, are not front line troops. They are your fast flankers. Bloated corpses are a gimmick. Don't spend too much time and effort to get value from them.

The default strategy with the coast is to tar pit your enemy with zombie deck hands, flank them with fast movers, shoot them up with handguns and bombard them with a mix of artillery and magic.

Afriscipio fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 4, 2019

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Hmm ok thanks guys.

Should I be checkerboarding my front line with the handgun(rifles?) guys? They seem tricky to use, I'm still trying to figure out how to make unit facing moves properly. Is there an easier way to rotate a unit that I'm missing? Like I got flanked by cavalry on my last engagement and obliterated because my units stood there like dumbasses while I tried frantically to right click/drag them to face the appropriate side.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you tell a ranged unit to attack another unit they will point to face them.

But generally the trick to gun armies is "don't get flanked by cavalry" which means either shooting them before they get close, or bringing something to intercept them, generally your own mobile element cos spears are too slow to protect a whole line.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Another trick with ranged units is to keep them in squares rather than rectangles. A square turns faster. And unlike past TW titles, in WH2 models in a single gun unit don't block each other. The whole unit fires, not just the front rank. A square is more vulnerable to missile fire though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also, squares will get loving annihilated by AoE spells. You will learn this, repeatedly, when facing Wurrzag as Dwarfs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One of the biggest ways new people get owned in quick battle is by forgetting that this game absolutely punishes long unchanging lines and tightly-packed blobs, and the AI just refuses to make use of this against your pretty pretty static formations. AI Wurrzag should get in touch with the others.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're doing a ranged heavy army, one of the best things I find is to send your heroes to go pick fights with the enemy front line, they'll tie up whole units and you can shoot the poo poo out of them while they all stand around in a big circle trying to beat up your lords.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

jerry seinfel posted:

Vampire Coast's infantry is mostly there to hold the line while your handgunners murder everything (see also: new Skaven DLC). Guns can be kind of difficult since they need line of sight, but if you can get them on a hill or to the side of the enemy they'll chew through them. The faction has a lot of bonuses to ranged damage and ammunition and their artillery is pretty good as well. Generally I run a LL, a Vampire captain with Depths magic hero, and maybe a crazy inflatable arm guy for heroes, and then a shitload of guns and whatever the minimum chaff seems to be to hold the line successfully.

Your basic infantry are just a speed bump to let your gunners engage. You eventually get crabs, who are a tar pit that bites back and your gunners can aim around. There are also Depth Guard, who look like they're tanky but it's a lie. They regenerate when in combat but you need to let your chaff engage first because if Depth Guard get beat on before getting into the fight they'll crumple.

someone should post one of those jpgs that explains how to checkerboard your formation. in shooty armies it's pretty much necessary.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

TaintedBalance posted:

Did they buff Skeggi in a recent patch? He is throwing out a pretty bullshit army on turn 3 against my push and his base seems waaaaaaay better defended than it was previously. Are you supposed to actually push up against the Skaven first now or something?

My normal approach was to move up there and crush them before turn 10 because they'd turn into a problem real quick if you didn't, but uuuh, that seems impossible now considering that was turn 3.

Crush the starting Skeggi army near you, turn around and go rock the Skaven, upgrade to some Saurus and then come and just crush them with a larger force of dinos?

Skeggi has been spamming Horsemen armies since the Vampire Coast update more or less. They are annoying but if you mass skinks (like a 2:1 Skink-Saurus ratio) they melt under javelins. I get rid of Skeggi by turn 3-4 normally (I don't play VH/L though)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kidkissinger posted:

someone should post one of those jpgs that explains how to checkerboard your formation. in shooty armies it's pretty much necessary.
Its in the OP:

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
I didn’t know that the position of the unit card determines their position in formation

my life is gonna be so much easier now.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

They really need some system for saving formations. I have to spend way too much time arranging my army the same.way for nearly every battle.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

kidkissinger posted:

They really need some system for saving formations. I have to spend way too much time arranging my army the same.way for nearly every battle.

Yes please. This and mortal empires turn times (or just the ability to play first game armies on a smaller map) are the biggest improvements that could be made to the game. Unlike turn times this one is probably doable.

Meanwhile dorks are filling forums with posts wondering why oh why they did not put a unit called “spear chukkas” in the game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kidkissinger posted:

This kind of feature would get me to play the game more and i would happily pay $20 for it. I have an articulate formation I do with my Ikit Claw armies and I love fighting battles with them, but setting up the formation is a total pain the rear end.

Comrayn posted:

Yes please. This and mortal empires turn times (or just the ability to play first game armies on a smaller map) are the biggest improvements that could be made to the game. Unlike turn times this one is probably doable.
Yup, this forever.

Comrayn posted:

Meanwhile dorks are filling forums with posts wondering why oh why they did not put a unit called “spear chukkas” in the game.
Well, nerds on the internet. I feel like CA actually seems to know what they are doing with the franchise right now so hopefully they have a few things in mind for WH3. The fact that Empire will be sorta-playable in Vortex is a big step, and it will be easy to add some Orks to the Badlands in Vortex too.

edit: I know it will crowd Lustria even more but I hope Lostericsson of the Kul or whatever becomes the third Norsca LL and is playable on Vortex.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 4, 2019

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Apparently whether through AI alterations or just plain bad AI, you shouldn't have to worry too much about beastmen/skaven/greenskins underwaying past your forts as Empire.

There is no cap on the new provincial RoRs you can get (Carroburg greatswords, etc), you can recruit as many as you want into any army.

There is a cap on Dread Saurians for the lizardmen.

People were apparently complaining about the texture quality of the steam tank a lot I guess out of boredom, and so that's been changed.

Slann rework:

-Rite of Awakening has been changed to "be more accessible". For Nakai, it looked like it said you only had to recruit 20 units. That might be because of his horde nature, or that could be the new default

-Performing the Rite opens a Dilemma screen, where you choose which lore of magic your Slann uses. Slann have access to either fire, life, light, or high magic. They no longer have mixed lores or access to heavens magic, since Skinks already have it.

-Slann now spawn with "generational traits", based on which spawning they were from. They provide buffs to their spellcasting and armies, as they were stated on stream to be "the best leaders for armies" (paraphrased).

-They're better magic casters than Skink Priests, to better incentivize you to take a Slann lord over a Melee Lord and a Skink Caster.

ad090 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 4, 2019

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I am worried about the horse's ears on those gun wagons.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Twigand Berries posted:

I am worried about the horse's ears on those gun wagons.

I am worried about what is riding/guiding said horses.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuTarV6ftNE&t=1069s

Something discussed in this video that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. Unit caps will now be in ranked battles.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm really digging those slann changes. I was always a bit disappointed in how not-worth-it they were.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I dont know posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuTarV6ftNE&t=1069s

Something discussed in this video that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. Unit caps will now be in ranked battles.

That seems like a great addition to the game.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I tend to like range heavy factions but I'm absolutely rockin' Nakai next week. drat them Dread Saurians. Huge fuggin' dino pwntrain has left the station!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hunt11 posted:

That seems like a great addition to the game.

It was already the rules in any organized play so it'll just make quick battle less of a "luck of the draw" as to whether you get a fun opponent or a douche. The gold standard would be fixing draw kiting but how you'd do that idk.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 4, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
It's still not gonna fix the corner camped flying gently caress squad with a steam tank problem though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The problem with the Steam Tank textures was that they were using a texture size half as big as what all other large units use. According to the modders from the modding discord, it was using what an infantry model would be using.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Azran posted:

The problem with the Steam Tank textures was that they were using a texture size half as big as what all other large units use. According to the modders from the modding discord, it was using what an infantry model would be using.

The questions that comes to mind is just "why?" The answer is of course, "because CA." Glad it's being fixed, don't see why it took 3.5 years to do so.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nakai seems to have taken lessons from the Tom Bombadil Battle for Middle Earth 2 school of combat dancing.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I'm really not seeing the value or point of archers for the Empire, specifically in campaign. Their range seems oddly low at 120 (5 better than a Goblin), they have abysmal stats otherwise and don't even benefit from having more models. So why not just go with Free Company? Or just wait a few turns to get Crossbowmen?

They only seem like they'll be useful in cheap and chaffy local defense armies.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nakai seems to have taken lessons from the Tom Bombadil Battle for Middle Earth 2 school of combat dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZouiWmzWoY&t=40s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
The hunter has become the hunted, gonna be taking a stroll to Lustria in my campaigns now.