Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm reading Fortress, Buchheim's sequel to Das Boot, and it has an absolutely apocalyptic U-boat journey in it. Apparently the Schnorchel just barely worked, he goes into quite some detail on how miserable it is to use, so that was interesting. He really did something resembling that journey, he's doing the usual throwing together happenings from multiple occasions into one you do when you write autobiographical fiction / tell sea stories and yikes he seems to have had a seriously no bueno 1944. I've been reading a bunch of Untergang-era autobiographical fiction and this is really loving good. I like it quite a bit better than Das Boot actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think every submariner in the Kriegsmarine had a no bueno 1944

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

zoux posted:

There's two really hosed up scenes where he watches boats go out and he describes the faces of the crews on deck etc.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I know I'm a day late to this, but happy 75th birthday of market garden, everyone.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Especially those piloting the single occupant submarines, the Neger and Biber, and even more so for those who were test candidates for D-IX. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-IX

I think it's been brought up before in the thread but I can't see most test subjects not coming out of this with a drug addiction and heart problems. This is all while doing several day solo missions in hastily designed single occupant subs with torpedoes strapped to the hull.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

I know I'm a day late to this,

You and Monty both

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Especially those piloting the single occupant submarines, the Neger and Biber, and even more so for those who were test candidates for D-IX. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-IX

I think it's been brought up before in the thread but I can't see most test subjects not coming out of this with a drug addiction and heart problems. This is all while doing several day solo missions in hastily designed single occupant subs with torpedoes strapped to the hull.

A mix of oxycodone, cocaine, and methamphetamine, tested on concentration camp prisoners. It's amazing just how many way the Nazis were terrible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Neat/creepy thread on the gas mask as a symbol in pop culture

https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/1174356568747466753

Ho ho kids, does anyone else smell fresh cut grass

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

ponzicar posted:

A mix of oxycodone, cocaine, and methamphetamine, tested on concentration camp prisoners. It's amazing just how many way the Nazis were terrible.
The article becomes much less sad when you stop reading "Dee Nine" and start reading "Dicks"

Wolf Kemper posted:

the aim was to use Dicks to redefine the limits of human endurance

Polyakov posted:

I wouldnt say that was really a battle as envisaged. It was certainly decisive but it wasnt really a fleet on fleet engagement as i think was envisaged by people that followed that doctrine.
Yeah, Taranto opens up questions about the nature of Decisive Battle doctrine. You kind of get "soft DB" where you use one or more major engagements of enemy seapower (Taranto, Matapan; Any two or three from Coral Sea, Midway, Philippine Sea, Leyte) to seize control of the seas and then exploit and you get "hard DB" where if you don't have all of your battleships and all of their battleships smushed together in a big pile it doesn't count.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
See, normally jokes about naval personnel depend on the homophonic relationship of "seamen" and "semen", but in this case you can just say: "Those seamen sure were full of D-IX!" which sort of takes some of the effort out of it?

:sigh:

E: I guess you could still add a bit of frisson by saying "Packed with" or "Stuffed full of" to sort of bring to mind a sausage casing?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 18, 2019

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

same

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ambientGillian/status/1135329542883696640

Hannibal killing all those elephants crossing the Alps is extremely problematic.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GUNS posted:

When the companies amalgamate into batallions to fight it looks like this.
(artist's representation of White Mountain. Yes this means that because a batallion is several companies all together, each company's pikemen will seperate from that company's musketeers and stand next to everyone else's pikemen to fight. This is normal.)

Do you know why this was the practice? Like why are pikeman and musketeers part of the same company if they're just going to separate and agglomerate by role during battle?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

zoux posted:

Ho ho kids, does anyone else smell fresh cut grass

For me one of the most haunting images from the Atomic Bomb movie is a Chinese cavalryman charging into the atomic wasteland with both him and his horse in MOPP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xoHbBkUGSQ&t=189s

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phanatic posted:

For me one of the most haunting images from the Atomic Bomb movie is a Chinese cavalryman charging into the atomic wasteland with both him and his horse in MOPP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xoHbBkUGSQ&t=189s

Is this Trinity or a movie called Atomic Bomb

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

zoux posted:

Is this Trinity or a movie called Atomic Bomb

Yes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114728/

Edit: Sorry, pasted without copying.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 18, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Do you know why this was the practice? Like why are pikeman and musketeers part of the same company if they're just going to separate and agglomerate by role during battle?
No idea. If I had to guess i'd say it's because a batallion isn't a standard size nor a standard number of companies. Also regiments don't travel all together, they split up at least by company and probably even smaller.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

PittTheElder posted:

I'd bet it's because if you have a company with a mix, you can just kind of slap it onto another agglomeration of mans.

Basically rather than 6 companies of pike and 5 of shot because the latter's a bit bigger on average, you just throw however many companies it takes together.

FrangibleCover posted:

The article becomes much less sad when you stop reading "Dee Nine" and start reading "Dicks"

Yeah, Taranto opens up questions about the nature of Decisive Battle doctrine. You kind of get "soft DB" where you use one or more major engagements of enemy seapower (Taranto, Matapan; Any two or three from Coral Sea, Midway, Philippine Sea, Leyte) to seize control of the seas and then exploit and you get "hard DB" where if you don't have all of your battleships and all of their battleships smushed together in a big pile it doesn't count.

Don't forget the Solomons Campaign. Santa Cruz and Eastern Solomon Sea also matter, especially if you count Coral Sea as anything more than a prelude.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 18, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What's that on the end of these rifles?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Milo and POTUS posted:

Aren't those rifle grenades?

:confused:

E: I wonder how many times people hosed up and didn't use the blank (or blank-ish?) cartridge when shooting one of those off? I suspect it's not the sort of mistake you're likely to make twice?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 18, 2019

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Soldiers, obviously :rolleyes:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Trin Tragula posted:

Soldiers, obviously :rolleyes:

A bayonet is a weapon with a proletarian at each end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/alexdrace/status/1174239857012592640?s=21

So much for the Auld Alliance

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Yea, that looks like rifle grenades by WW1 German soldiers. I don't recall Germany having rifle grenades in WW1 though.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sergeant goes along the line on inspection. Comes across one man whose turnout he doesn't approve of. Takes his pace stick and jabs the brass firmly into the offending soldier's chest while offering some strong words of advice. Finishes up by declaring "there is poo poo on the end of my stick, Bloggs".

To which Private Bloggs responds, "Yes Sergeant, but not at this end".

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Started scanning, taking pictures of, etc my Grandpa's stuff from WWII. Started with this map him and two friends made on their trek across France and Germany.

I'm trying to see if anyone in my area has the ability to actually scan it high res or has a real camera jig to go vertical.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Dance Officer posted:

Yea, that looks like rifle grenades by WW1 German soldiers. I don't recall Germany having rifle grenades in WW1 though.

They existed. I mean the conflict modernized mass produced and dedicated doctrines over dudes throwing them so finding a way to shooting them from a rifle doesn't seem at all far fetched.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dance Officer posted:

That's what I figured and also what I thought. That's why I was a little confused

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30023657

This looks pretty similar. If I remember right the British used them heavily but their use of them was part of the thought on how to do an offensive, so Germany might not have used nearly as many nor incorporated them as heavily into attacking formations?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

xthetenth posted:

Don't forget the Solomons Campaign. Santa Cruz and Eastern Solomon Sea also matter, especially if you count Coral Sea as anything more than a prelude.
All three are sort of attritional battles more than decisive ones, but Coral Sea gets to have a crack at the big boys club because it knocked two decks out for Midway. I did say it was a questionable pick.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

I'd bet it's because if you have a company with a mix, you can just kind of slap it onto another agglomeration of mans.

Basically rather than 6 companies of pike and 5 of shot because the latter's a bit bigger on average, you just throw however many companies it takes together.
not to mention that both pike/halberds and shot are severely hampered without the other guy in that pair

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

For reference, my Grandpa is Ed or Edward, last name Yaps, it's not that consistent. Most of these captions are his, or my Grandmas, and are as written.

1 - Johnnie's first leave - October 1942 (johnnie Dreher, Art Ladd & Ed)
2 through 5 - Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943
6 - In work clothes at Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943
7 - Some fightin' lookin' soldiers? at Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943

1 & 2 - George Stasky at Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943
3 - Dunphy - the best time he had was while he was in the Army. - Always happy-go-lucky. At Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943
4 & 5 - George Stasky at Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943
6 - ?
7 - George at the park in Paris, Texas - March 1943
8 Thomas J. Dlugos - A/B Engs. Carthage, Mo - 1943
9 - ?

1 - Pvt. Howard Meyers at Norman, Oklahoma - Sept 1943
2- Looking down Mt. Scott into the valley. There is a big lake below but it is too far down to be recognized - 1943?
3 - Wichita Mts. Looking West from atop Mt. Scot - 1943?
4 - The other "G.I. Joe" is my sidekick. He is Bill Silvestri and he comes from the Bronx. - 1943?
5 - The bunch in Eddy's group at Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943
6 - George & Million in the sloppy mud of Germany - Nov 1944
7 - Sgt Meachum piling dirt on our dugout in Germany. A hole we'll never forget. - Dec 1944

That's all I had time to scan in today, a bunch more tomorrow I hope. I also have a 10 mark note, his tiny adorable mini honorable discharge paperwork, and a bunch of draft paperwork and board notices which are kinda cool to see.

As suggested, I'm crossposting to the milhist thread (and the milpics thread)

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

SeanBeansShako posted:

They existed. I mean the conflict modernized mass produced and dedicated doctrines over dudes throwing them so finding a way to shooting them from a rifle doesn't seem at all far fetched.

Do you have a source? Not that I'm not willing to believe you but a few Google searches aren't giving me results.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Dance Officer posted:

Do you have a source? Not that I'm not willing to believe you but a few Google searches aren't giving me results.

For the British Army they used the Hales rifle grenade system.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Schadenboner posted:

Aren't those rifle grenades?

:confused:

E: I wonder how many times people hosed up and didn't use the blank (or blank-ish?) cartridge when shooting one of those off? I suspect it's not the sort of mistake you're likely to make twice?

Some of the rifle grenade setups actually used a live bullet I believe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1174472916999770113

Is the "this guy saved the whole world" stuff you see stories about him oversold

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Taerkar posted:

Some of the rifle grenade setups actually used a live bullet I believe.

That’s called a bullet-trap rifle grenade. There’s at least one design that had a hollow center and allowed the bullet to exit through the grenade.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

My understanding of the rifle grenade is that they were not super effective or accurate even at like 100m. Also the recoil is brutal, people would dislocate their shoulders on the reg if they weren't holding it right. Truly the first backblast casualties.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you are not supposed to fire a rifle grenade from the shoulder, what the gently caress?

the French V-B had a max range of just about 200 meters when fired from the ground. it was one of the kind that could be fired using ordinary ammunition. they're plenty effective, just not very accurate. designed so that the infantry can bring along their own indirect fire support that can reach out further than you can throw a grenade. not as good as a mortar, of course, but a lot lighter.