Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Goons Are Gifts)

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

alnilam posted:

HELLO LP I see there is alreadyt some trhilling game-playing going on :suspense:

what is y'alls favorite half life mod. I miss HL mods a lot. Natural Selection was probably my favorite, but most-played would be a close race between CS and DoD

i really like playing the ambitiously weird and bad ones. like the one where you play as the guy who finds the Xen crystal used in the resonance cascade. You fight on a boat and the final Xen boss baby attacks you in the cargo hold.

or the one where you play as Dash Rendar's son, Phoenum Rendar.

i also liked the tactical sniper scope mod attachement for the crowbar. very realistic!

my fave is probably the HL2 mod Minerva. level design is very tight, story is appropriately weird and barebone, atmosphere is excellent. just a very slick campaign mod all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i'm still reading the manual but i think i'm figuring out how to play!

:rolldice:

alea iacta est:

lady rng favours me!

check mate (i think?)

Radio Free Kobold

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

ChubbyChecker posted:

alea iacta est:

lady rng favours me!

check mate (i think?)

ChubbyChecker

im the king of the world!

Carbon dioxide

Hi BYOB, your voice has to be at least THIS silly to be allowed to read game dialogue aloud in letsplay vids.

No_talent

A thrilling game I got to watch in real time!

:toot:

The Flying Twybil

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

ChubbyChecker posted:

im the king of the world!

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

hey i know this place!!!! i know this place very well!!!!!

yobbers you should all check out the Let's Play Social Distancing thread immediately, it is incredible.

actually, this is a good idea...

:siren::siren::siren: Hey, Let's Play! :siren::siren::siren:

let's help BYOB become acquainted with this subforum by doing a mini requests/recommendations right here in this thread.

LP Requests and Recommendations: BYOB Edition

please post any threads you think are particularky note-worthy or entertaining for the BYOBers to enjoy. i will second biosterous's rec: that thread is great!

BYOBers, if you're in the mood for a particular kind of video game to chill with ask away. we, uh, play a lot of'em and have a little something for everyone.

Rocket Baby Dolls

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Hello! Unfortunately, I don't have any pets or crimes to confess too.

biosterous

Dash Rendar posted:

:siren::siren::siren: Hey, Let's Play! :siren::siren::siren:

let's help BYOB become acquainted with this subforum by doing a mini requests/recommendations right here in this thread.

please post any threads you think are particularky note-worthy or entertaining for the BYOBers to enjoy. i will second biosterous's rec: that thread is great!

BYOBers, if you're in the mood for a particular kind of video game to chill with ask away. we, uh, play a lot of'em and have a little something for everyone.

ahahaha i just went through all 97 pages to pick out a bunch of favourites that haven't been eaten by the archives yet! gimme a few minutes to post them

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

The Flying Twybil

Dash Rendar posted:

Hm, what the denizens of BYOB would enjoy?

I'd have to third the Social Distancing thread. It seems right up their alley.

Nyaa's Cultivation LP might be as well. It's unpredictable and spontaneous in a rather "just post" fashion. You don't really need to know anything about Wuxia/Xianxia for it to be fun.

I'm sure there's others, but I lurk on a lot of threads so it's hard to remember each one sometimes.

Tin Tim

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Fun fact after lurking for some years I actually joined the forums to post my own lp threads because I was in a bad place in life and needed something productive and creative to fill my time. I did end up helping me in some ways and for that I'll always remember the lp forum with fondness :kiddo:

I've been out of the loop for quite a while so can't recommend anything current. But the old chip+ironicus videos about hunting games or that one mdickie game were cool and funny

Thank you Pot Smoke Phoenix!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

HELLO LP I see there is alreadyt some trhilling game-playing going on :suspense:

what is y'alls favorite half life mod. I miss HL mods a lot. Natural Selection was probably my favorite, but most-played would be a close race between CS and DoD

omg I forgot about natural selection- I loved that mod. And spent waaaaay too much of my teens playing DoD. There's a standalone mod for some other game (insurgency?) called Day of Infamy that is like modern DoD and it's pretty good and team based. Since I am way out of FPS practice I just run around with a radio on my back following an officer and he drops bombs on people but everyone knows I'm the real hero :smith:

ChubbyChecker posted:

alea iacta est:

lady rng favours me!

check mate (i think?)
Another BYOB/LP success story!! :marc:

Tin Tim

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Hello! Unfortunately, I don't have any pets or crimes to confess too.
So I assume you have crimes that you aren't willing to confess :ninja:

biosterous posted:

ahahaha i just went through all 97 pages to pick out a bunch of favourites that haven't been eaten by the archives yet! gimme a few minutes to post them
Now that's what I call powerful

Radio Free Kobold

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the sky odyssey lp is pretty decent. the game is about doing perilous sky flying (and a few stunts) in a biplane. there was one where he rode this hella-turbulent gulf stream-like mega-wind across a stretch of ocean, another where he flies through this long underground cave. it's pretty chill.

star wars the old republic is also worth a read if you're into star wars; the game's got a pretty decent selection of single-player "class storylines" that the thread is going through. a special forces trooper is trying to hunt down a bunch of no-good traitors while a jedi knight (who enjoys fighting a bit too much) goes hunting for stolen republic superweapons! also there is a nerd and a shifty smuggler but they aren't cool enough to talk about.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

Tin Tim posted:

Fun fact after lurking for some years I actually joined the forums to post my own lp threads because I was in a bad place in life and needed something productive and creative to fill my time. I did end up helping me in some ways and for that I'll always remember the lp forum with fondness :kiddo:

I've been out of the loop for quite a while so can't recommend anything current. But the old chip+ironicus videos about hunting games or that one mdickie game were cool and funny

I enjoyed your Shogo: MAD LP! It got me to reinstall and play it after over a decade.

Also, Let's Play, don't forget to :5: the thread! This is the third subforum it's been to and somehow it hasn't gone gold yet.

Heather Papps

hello friend

let's say i never finished persona 4, and just want to know what happens after the point i stopped playing/lost my memory card in a move, could there be a cool thread in this nice forum for me to read?

The Flying Twybil

Heather Papps posted:

let's say i never finished persona 4, and just want to know what happens after the point i stopped playing/lost my memory card in a move, could there be a cool thread in this nice forum for me to read?

Here and here.

Edit: Also, there's the wonderful LP of Robopon Sun by Mega64. Its the Pokemon clone you never knew existed where we have a toilet-man hero taking on the world.

No, I'm not joking.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 6, 2020

biosterous

in the order of "this is how my tabs ended up because sometimes i would look at a thread and then the tabs wouldn't all open in order any more":

learn about Dash Rendar (the character, not so much the mod, but also learn about the mod!)

a meme from summer 2019

our good friend BFM's amazing goblin game (BFM you are great :h:)

this is exactly how Pokemon Red is and any memories otherwise are mistaken sorry

fighting all (or maybe just lots? i forget) of the bosses in Dark Souls 3, but only using punches, and using a fightstick instead of a normal controller

goon vs goon chess! the observer thread, the team white thread, and the team black thread. i recommend trying to read all three in sync - read one team until you reach the next move, then read the other team's perspective of the same period, then read the observer thread, etc

skate 3 is chill and these people are funny

chrono tragger

perfectly normal Minesweeper with not ulterior motives whatsoever

tin tim! your let's play of Silent Storm hasn't been eaten by the archive! i'm gonna reread it

unfortunately the rock paper scissors threads are gone, so someone with archives will need to find those. it was seriously one of my favourite LPs of all time

biosterous fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 6, 2020

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Tin Tim

Dash Rendar posted:

I enjoyed your Shogo: MAD LP! It got me to reinstall and play it after over a decade.
lmao that is quite the blast from the past. Happy that it brought you joy though

Also next fun fact that lp started my "gimmick" of adding synthy music to my fps videos. One of the songs used in the game cause a hard crash after a level transition and I couldn't find a fix for it. So I just turned the soundtrack off and made my own. People ended up liking it and so did I so stuck with it. Every now and then I feel bad for abandoning my last lp thread but I had some challenges that ate my free time and I was also super burned out on the audio editing for my voice tracks because I probably did it in needlesly convoluted ways. Some day I may find my way back into it because life is full of surprises

take the moon

by sebmojo
hi gamers

I watched that mirrors edge remake lp a bit ago on the archive

my fave lp of all time is the stalker one w maybe the pokemon vietnam one as second

I always get offended at the concept of watching ppl who aren't goons playing video games.... like sure I'll get right on that

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

take the moon

by sebmojo
sorry I meant snatcher lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

unfortunately the rock paper scissors threads are gone, so someone with archives will need to find those. it was seriously one of my favourite LPs of all time

i think they are in the goldmine... some of the few LP threads to go there rather than the archive!

Tin Tim

Shoutout to Lazyfire and YourEvilTwin for being thread friends back in the day :hfive:

nut

i thought it was on lparchive but as an old lp connosierurr psymonkey's kirby dream course lp has the chillest narration thank u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4gb5-nNlk

biosterous

Dash Rendar posted:

i think they are in the goldmine... some of the few LP threads to go there rather than the archive!

I found the observer thread in the goldmine but sadly the team threads are not there

Tin Tim

Oh here's a rec that's in spirit of byob. The PnP sessions by Sinatrapod and crew were all good and funny. I can rec that one pretty hard if you're the type that likes podcasts and also laughs about butts

Most of their stuff is still up on the Kilobops page

http://kilobops.ladderface.net/dice/

Tin Tim

nut posted:

i thought it was on lparchive but as an old lp connosierurr psymonkey's kirby dream course lp has the chillest narration thank u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4gb5-nNlk
Holy poo poo how could I forget?? Yeah this one is chill to the max

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

>peeks out at forums index

>sees a thread called "i'm drunk and gay and want to kill nazis"

>hell yeah

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

nut posted:

My presence here is mandatory but it’s dlc to kiss me

alnilam

Love this lol

biosterous

owlhawk911 posted:

>peeks out at forums index

>sees a thread called "i'm drunk and gay and want to kill nazis"

>hell yeah

that one is great, dan and grace are fun people

Dip Viscous

TOUCHDOWN LAKERS!!

HELL YEA

Tin Tim

Uh I just discovered that there is a legit and academic book written about the concept and history of let's play from 2017

It sorta blows my mind that this exists but I guess I shouldn't be surprised seeing how integrated it has become into our entertainment landscape

Still wild to read Slowbeef quotes in the opening of an academic book though

Rocket Baby Dolls

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Tin Tim posted:

So I assume you have crimes that you aren't willing to confess :ninja:

That depends on what you would consider to be a crime...

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

Tin Tim posted:

Uh I just discovered that there is a legit and academic book written about the concept and history of let's play from 2017

It sorta blows my mind that this exists but I guess I shouldn't be surprised seeing how integrated it has become into our entertainment landscape

Still wild to read Slowbeef quotes in the opening of an academic book though

hey! that's the paper where my Chron Trag LP got academically cited!

Geemer

Welcome back BYOB!

Here is my recommendation: j a z z t r o n a u t s
It's already a year and a half old by now, but I still go back to playing the mod every now and again, all thanks to this LP. Heck, everyone who owns Garry's Mod should play it!
Being a Garry's Mod playmode means it's slowly deteriorating as Garry's Mod updates and breaks things that it relies on. The experience is already slightly different nowadays, but the meat of the action still very much works. The team behind it is kinda working on an update, but who knows when (if) that'll ever come to fruition.

This LP has it all, an endearing cast of criminal cats, touching personal stories, baking, what more could you want?

Twenty Four

Thanks to TFR for being great hosts and having some gun talk with me, and hello LP! I can't say I regularly read LP in general, but I get recommended or find a thread or two every once in a while and stick with it, hopefully I can discover another one here!

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Howdy LP I just want to say I don't frequent this part of the forums very often but this thread was amazing and if you have any suggestions for LP's of weird little games like these that would be awesome.

Baseball, Zizek, Hentai and Twitter - Let's Play The Closer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

magic cactus posted:

Howdy LP I just want to say I don't frequent this part of the forums very often but this thread was amazing and if you have any suggestions for LP's of weird little games like these that would be awesome.

Baseball, Zizek, Hentai and Twitter - Let's Play The Closer!

Seconded, as both a fan of baseball and video games, I really enjoyed it and would recommend it. However neither interest is necessary at all as it's mostly just a crazy RPG with baseball as a foundation for the story but like, almost none gets played. Still, the OP McD throws in a bunch of cool baseball trivia on the side that is a really interesting read, or can be just skipped if you really don't care. Also part way through the guy who made the game showed up who happened to already be a goon, so it's a neat unintentional made by / played by goon LP.

Agreed though, I would also be interested in more bizarre quirky text based LP's in this vein if anyone has some recommendations. Bonus if they are still going and have some minimal participation, but if not that's okay.