Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Rust Martialis posted:

Is there really anyone stupid enough to take that at face value, though? In this terminally-online forum?

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

If you really think that Joe Biden would make a Republican his running mate, I'm not entirely sure you can be convinced of, well...anything, really.

I mean, I guess Joe Biden has also NOT explicitly said that he won't round up Bernie supporters into camps and sell them to zoos for meat, so maybe we should worry about that too :shrug:

Sorry, I was just reading exactly what the gently caress the candidate said. Maybe you'd care to bring up some strong historic examples to show he didn't really mean what his words were?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Thank you, YMB, for a flawed analogy that proves nothing, I guess?

your argument runs into the same problem that Zito ran into in September 2016: the exhortation to ignore all the monstrous poo poo a demented old racist is saying, in favor of projecting what you want to believe on him, relies on your audience sharing your assessment of where the limits of possibility lie. it is the weakest appeal to authority imaginable: an appeal to a shared lack of imagination. "he can't do that poo poo, right?"

you know what the punchline to Zito's statement is. what evidence suggests a different one awaits you.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Majorian posted:

Gates and Hagel come to mind. I don't know if Biden is courting them specifically for those roles, but given that he's already courting even worse people like Bill Kristol and Rick Wilson, it wouldn't surprise me.

Gates and Hagel were pretty indistinguishable from anyone else who has been SecDef. Frankly, you’re just projecting your unending ‘Dems suck’ worldview onto typical banal posturing , next you’ll claim he wants to appoint Kissinger to SoS because they went to a reception together in 2011.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

your argument runs into the same problem that Zito ran into in September 2016: the exhortation to ignore all the monstrous poo poo a demented old racist is saying, in favor of projecting what you want to believe on him, relies on your audience sharing your assessment of where the limits of possibility lie. it is the weakest appeal to authority imaginable: an appeal to a shared lack of imagination. "he can't do that poo poo, right?"

you know what the punchline to Zito's statement is. what evidence suggests a different one awaits you.

No, it's more "realizing that Biden and his people will be more likely to read the room should they win in November", but hey, why let facts get in the way of a good story, right?

And what you call "an appeal to a shared lack of imagination", most people would call "applying Occam's Razor". Hope that helps, big guy.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

evilweasel posted:

the bolded isn't quite correct. the argument is that ad spending moves stuff around the margins, and if Georgia and Texas are close enough that ad spending moves them back and forth, then Trump has already lost re-election. there's no situation where he barely wins Texas and wins the election, even if his ad spending moved the needle to keep texas red.

as a result, he should not bother: if trump is even in Texas, he's hosed everywhere. the only sensible strategy is to hope things turn around nationally, while continuing to deploy your spending to "tipping point" states. if trump recovers nationally enough to where he has a shot at winning, then he recovers in texas enough to win texas easily and his ad spending in texas was wasted. if he stays where he is, but barely wins texas, his ad spending in texas was wasted. if he stays where he is but loses texas, his ad spending there was wasted. since it's wasted in all cases, he shouldn't spend the money.

Yeah if he’s spending lots of money in those states then that means nobody running his campaign has the slightest idea what they’re doing. There’s no reason to be spending in those states other than “THOSE ARE WHERE POLLS ARE CLOSEST SEND MONEY” without any deeper thought put into it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Why do we even have the election thread? Ya'll just infest this thread with that crap every single day. One person responded to me asking WTF is up with the fact that the PRESIDENT JUST UNILATERALLY SENT IN OUR DEPARTURE FROM THE WHO. One. And they also wanted to know. Then we had 20 posts about whether Biden will put Republicans in his cabinet.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

mcmagic posted:

I don't think he will but I think he would if he could get away with it.

"I'm not saying he would ever do that but he would do that"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jaxyon posted:

"I'm not saying he would ever do that but he would do that"

I was just saying I don't think he can get away with it with the party.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Rust Martialis posted:

Gates and Hagel were pretty indistinguishable from anyone else who has been SecDef.

e: I'll respond to this in the State of the Race thread.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 7, 2020

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm confused; is "himself" referring to Comey or Obama? Because if you're insinuating that Obama is more responsible for Donald Trump than, say, the 60+ million people who voted for him, the godawfully terrible candidate he ran against, or the media that freely signal-boosted him, fuckin :laffo:

there's no shortage of other people who get credit, but even with every individual stupid mistake the Clinton campaign made, they probably drag it out were it not for the Comey letter

and the loving genius who said "in the name of having a Lincolnesque team of rivals, i'mma have my domestic intelligence service headed up by someone from the opposite political party from me, appointed by the war criminal who preceded me. there is no way this will ever bite me in the rear end."

you can give the credit to Comey and not Obama, but I view it as kind of like blaming a pitbull for killing a toddler. it's just doing what it was bred to do, the adult in the room who decided "yeah this situation's well in hand, i can go relax elsewhere" is the one who really should have known better

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Majorian posted:

That's not as strong of an endorsement of either as you think it is.

You kinda made them both out to be Curtis LeMay reincarnated.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You kinda made them both out to be Curtis LeMay reincarnated.

I'll respond to this in the "State of the Election" thread or whatever it's called.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

AlternateNu posted:

It's mostly the latter. I haven't heard of a case where a woman hiding things like that wasn't caught up in a drug or forced prostitution ring. It's typically a self-defense mechanism.

But people get loving creative. You can hide picks everywhere. In the mouth, inside a belt weave, inside a braid. Hell, there've been cases of people hiding sewing needles/picks subdermally. If someone wants to gently caress with a cop, they put used needles in their hair. Cops are trained to not stick their hands in pockets, but if you want to search someone's hair, you gotta get up in there.

You know these are just made up stories police use to justify invasions of privacy and humiliation of suspects right?

Also lets talk more about the lady getting groped in the video that was linked a few pages ago:

https://www.change.org/p/chief-brian-manley-and-mayor-steve-adler-re-open-custody-and-fire-apd-officer-brian

quote:

Officer Brian has been terrorizing and stalking Linda Nuno Trevino for 9 years. He first came into her life when police were called for a domestic disturbance. He responded to a few more disturbances. He began stalking her, showing up at her house unannounced while he was on duty, peering his head in the door, calling her 24/7 demanding to see her and go on dates even though she was clearly uncomfortable. Things got worse when Linda and her boyfriend broke up, as he saw there was no barrier or anyone to "respect" anymore. One night, when Linda had taken sleeping pills, he let himself in and they began talking. She fell asleep on the couch and woke up naked, having been raped. She hoped that he now got what he wanted and would leave her alone. She became pregnant and at 4 months Brian convinced her to move in with him so as to protect "his baby," and he began controlling her every move and dictating what she ate, when she showered, and where she was at all times. Linda had doubts about Brian's paternity from her first ultrasound. She sensed that Brian knew he was not the father, but followed through with his actions anyway. Brian has manipulated, gaslighted, and abused Linda since he first met her. Her beautiful baby Tiffany was born, and at one month they moved in with her sister in Edinburg, 5 hours away from Austin. Brian began bringing her to court over custody, eventually taking her for a few days at a time. One instance, Tiffany had rashes all over, likely from poison ivy, and although Brian took her to the doctor, he never gave her the proper medicine (the bottles were never opened). She had irritation and rashes around her private area as well, leading Linda to deeply worry about possible sexual assault. Meanwhile, Brian would file complaints of Linda being an unfit mother and mentally unstable for being brave enough to speak out against him and his actions. He would file multiple reports to DFPS accusing her and they all came back false. The court eventually ended up siding with Brian, in 2017 and 2019. Detectives in APD defended his actions and protected him as an officer. Linda proved Brian was not the father, after having doubts, in a DNA paternity test in 2017 before Tiffany turned 4 years old. Therefore, Brian currently has no right to have full custody and should be revoked of parental rights. However, he has full custody of Tiffany, and Linda can only see her three times a month, for 2 hours, supervised, even though she poses no threat to Tiffany. She talks to her almost everyday whenever his mental games allowed. Tiffany is always hungry, seems distressed, and at times says she is "hiding" from Brian. Linda has piles of evidence- photos of bodily harm of Tiffany upon picking her up from Brian's house, recordings of her phone calls with Tiffany, Brian's texts to her, and all of the horrors she has experienced for 9 years. The court system, with the help of the Austin Police Department, specifically Detective Limas, Phillips, and Bazon, has failed her and her daughter in order to protect Officer Brian. Help bring Tiffany back home to her and keep Brian away from children in the future. Also, an immediate investigation should be opened into Brian's conduct- harassment, stalking, medical abuse, mistreatment of child, abuse of power, and sexual assault. Donations for future potential legal fees would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly just pretend I bolded all of it.

This appears to be her gofundme

https://www.gofundme.com/f/justice-for-linda-nuno?pc=fb_co_campmgmtbnr_m&rcid=r01-159405471984-f5cda8f4058d468e&utm

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Majorian posted:

I'll respond to this in the "State of the Election" thread or whatever it's called.

I want you to know that I appreciate that you've done this for three of your most recent posts in an attempt to stop the derail even if nobody else actually listens to you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

It's mostly the latter. I haven't heard of a case where a woman hiding things like that wasn't caught up in a drug or forced prostitution ring. It's typically a self-defense mechanism.

But people get loving creative. You can hide picks everywhere. In the mouth, inside a belt weave, inside a braid. Hell, there've been cases of people hiding sewing needles/picks subdermally. If someone wants to gently caress with a cop, they put used needles in their hair. Cops are trained to not stick their hands in pockets, but if you want to search someone's hair, you gotta get up in there.

Please stop justifying the abusive police system we have. Your anecdotes only make it worse. Every woman is not a loving spy plotting their escape so therefore needs poking and prodding.

Our police have a longer record of sexual abuse than they do actually finding things that justify a very in depth pat down.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 7, 2020

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

No, it's more "realizing that Biden and his people will be more likely to read the room should they win in November", but hey, why let facts get in the way of a good story, right?

And what you call "an appeal to a shared lack of imagination", most people would call "applying Occam's Razor". Hope that helps, big guy.

be careful playing with occam's razor around Joe Biden. once you cut off all the things he's said, you're left with the things he's done, gushing out red and ruinous from the wounds those words have tried to paper over. forty unbroken years of advocating for the immiseration of those beneath him, and the necessity of alliance with Republicans in order to keep their shared vision of the future intact.

claiming the man who lost in 2007 by accusing Barack Obama of being an uppity little poo poo is going to read the room requires a pretty substantial leap of faith, imo.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

CommieGIR posted:

Please stop justifying the abusive police system we have. Your anecdotes only make it worse.

Yep. People already *do* understand the lines of reasoning police come up with to engage in racism, sexism, and brutality.

Talking about the reasoning they use can be informative if you're specifically in court defending against them, but otherwise simply serve to present the "well this racist doesn't think they're a racist" POV that everyone is aware of and matters little.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

AlternateNu posted:

This is gross cop apologia and you should get the gently caress out of here with this bullshit. As someone who has PERSONALLY worked in law enforcement and the military everything you are regurgitating is exactly what cops (and many soldiers, unfortunately) are taught to say to cover for themselves when they know they're doing something wrong.

You can be the guy people go to for clarification but your clarification is worth fuckall when you're repeating copaganda uncritically and with an implicit framing that "well the cops have good reason to do this, it's just that sometimes innocent people get caught up in things that should only be used on bad people".

Fix yourself or shut the gently caress up. The police reform/abolition thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926317

Jaxyon posted:

You know these are just made up stories police use to justify invasions of privacy and humiliation of suspects right?

Also lets talk more about the lady getting groped in the video that was linked a few pages ago:

https://www.change.org/p/chief-brian-manley-and-mayor-steve-adler-re-open-custody-and-fire-apd-officer-brian

Honestly just pretend I bolded all of it.

This appears to be her gofundme

https://www.gofundme.com/f/justice-for-linda-nuno?pc=fb_co_campmgmtbnr_m&rcid=r01-159405471984-f5cda8f4058d468e&utm

This is so hosed up I can't even comprehend it. How did he get custody if the kid isn't his? That cop should be under the loving jail for what he's done.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 7, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mat Cauthon posted:

This is so hosed up I can't even comprehend it. How did he get custody if the kid isn't his? That cop should be under the loving jail for what he's done.

"He's a cop so he both cannot be lying as well as he'll be a great father as an authority figure versus that lying hussy" - I am more than willing to bet it was something along those lines.

Somehow we keep hiring police with massive domestic violence and sexual violence issues, we keep re-hiring officers with complaints listing hundreds of pages.

Cops are viewed as "just and true" but there's no evidence, ESPECIALLY post Civil Rights era and post BLM to support that. There's now hundred of thousands of videos of police brutality, lying, and openly flirting with violent white supremacists.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 7, 2020

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Mat Cauthon posted:

I'm sure that poster can helpfully explain some extreme-edge case scenario that totally happened to some guy somewhere that will give us a deeper understanding of how police will justify what our lying eyes tell us.

But yeah this is incredibly disgusting and blatant. I thought the original video was bad and it got so much worse.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

I'm sure that poster can helpfully explain some extreme-edge case scenario that totally happened to some guy somewhere that will give us a deeper understanding of how police will justify what our lying eyes tell us.

But yeah this is incredibly disgusting and blatant. I thought the original video was bad and it got so much worse.

Its the same sort of "training" that led to people pushing the training that encourage police to kill rather than de-escalate.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I know Reagan is trash but...

https://twitter.com/RVAT2020/status/1280486725165502464

...hot drat that is an effective ad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sir Lemming posted:

Reagan is trash because he really was the precursor to Trump, down to the major mental healthy issues and sketchy family.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sir Lemming posted:

There are literally zero people who are going to be persuaded to vote against Trump by this argument.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
a lot of people can be persuaded not to vote for trump, even if they don't vote for biden either. this is a good thing

as unpopular as biden is among not-republicans, trump is also pretty unpopular because he is visibly insane and incompetent. hammering on these internal fault lines is nice, no matter the motivation

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1280607536643665920

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Sir Lemming posted:

That is the most brutal ad I have seen this cycle. Reagan was pure evil but even by his words the party he was a part of has no semblance to the modern GOP. Granted his party didn't live up to those words either but they were leagues closer than what we have now.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

luxury handset posted:

a lot of people can be persuaded not to vote for trump, even if they don't vote for biden either. this is a good thing

as unpopular as biden is among not-republicans, trump is also pretty unpopular because he is visibly insane and incompetent. hammering on these internal fault lines is nice, no matter the motivation

He's actually pretty popular with "independents" which is why his lead is so large at the moment.

This isn't 2016 where everyone hated Clinton and Trump but more people were willing to give Trump a chance to avoid a Clinton Dynasty.

When presented with Trump or Biden, people who are not CHUDS are flocking to Biden and seem to genuinely like him

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrew...s/#5ce935e46737

quote:

A critical factor in Clinton’s electoral college loss in 2016 is that she underperformed among key demographic blocs with whom Biden is uniquely strong. A Monmouth poll released Thursday put Biden up by 21 points among voters older than 65, a high-turnout group with particularly outsized influence in Florida. Clinton lost that group by 7 points, according to CNN exit polls. A recent New York Times poll of six swing states put Biden up 21 points with college-educated white voters and down just 4 points with white voters overall, groups that Trump won by 3 points and 20 points respectively.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

How are u posted:

The Russian bounty scandal is being investigated in Congress. Who is "they" ?

will we, at last, know how brave the Mujahideen fighters were

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Djarum posted:

That is the most brutal ad I have seen this cycle. Reagan was pure evil but even by his words the party he was a part of has no semblance to the modern GOP. Granted his party didn't live up to those words either but they were leagues closer than what we have now.

exactly. reagan was a monster that made nixon look like FDR but i am pretty sure even these ghouls did believe that they were making the world a better place. even monsters like W thought their insane poo poo would bring peace and freedom and poo poo. trump and unmasked GOP believe nothing but spite, greed and hate.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

CommieGIR posted:

Reagan is trash because he really was the precursor to Trump, down to the major mental healthy issues and sketchy family.

They also both have the blood of hundreds of thousands of people on their hands through stubborn inaction in the face of an epidemic.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Majorian posted:

Gates and Hagel come to mind. I don't know if Biden is courting them specifically for those roles, but given that he's already courting even worse people like Bill Kristol and Rick Wilson, it wouldn't surprise me.

This is pretty disingenuous after your recent defense of a white nationalist that literally was involved in starting a race riot and trying to troll people about it.

Were Gates and Hagel just not openly racist enough to deserve your praise and defense?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sinister_Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 7, 2020

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

I wish these people would stop acting like the problems with the GOP suddenly sprang into being when Trump won the election. It's clear that they think the fever is going to break once he's gone, and they're in for a rude awakening. The Republican party doesn't belong to them anymore.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

CommieGIR posted:

History repeats itself. First as tragedy, then as farce.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

T. Bombastus posted:

I wish these people would stop acting like the problems with the GOP suddenly sprang into being when Trump won the election. It's clear that they think the fever is going to break once he's gone, and they're in for a rude awakening. The Republican party doesn't belong to them anymore.

Oh they know. It's all about projecting some degree of plausible deniability, so they can continue doing the same things down the line while portraying Trump and his incompetence as just some fluke.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

T. Bombastus posted:

There are definitely CHUDS who were politically inactive before Trump who are now cult members, but I think you are underestimating the "sports team" mentality of a lot of Republican voters. A lot of them are not ideologues outside of some vague ideas about low taxes and social issues. As soon as Team Red issues new guidelines on "this is what we believe now, a post-Trump primer on being a good Republican", most of them will line right up to support their political football team even if they push a lot of things Trump blasted just a year prior.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Sir Lemming posted:

2020 is a redistricting year so if these clowns can convince republicans to stay home in November they can come the gently caress on in and give it their best.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rigel posted:

There are definitely CHUDS who were politically inactive before Trump who are now cult members, but I think you are underestimating the "sports team" mentality of a lot of Republican voters. A lot of them are not ideologues outside of some vague ideas about low taxes and social issues. As soon as Team Red issues new guidelines on "this is what we believe now, a post-Trump primer on being a good Republican", most of them will line right up to support their political football team even if they push a lot of things Trump blasted just a year prior.

reagan and bush were both arguably much, much, worse than trump is, and the party supported those two without the slightest hesitation, both during and after their admin

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also even if these never Trump ads are 100% useless they are still wasting GOP donor cash that would otherwise go towards electing Trump or down ticket GOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol

https://twitter.com/mateagold/status/1280618559736070144