Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MD2020 posted:

I wonder if the Jets would benefit from a Jeff Fisher/John Fox type coach after Gase. Someone who could come in after the team bottoms out, install a professional culture, and then be replaced by a better coach a few years later when the team is ready to start competing.

Worked for the Lions!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If you hired gase in the first place your decision making is fair game for questioning. If you keep him on the staff after that cocaine and hallucinogen fueled press conference where his eyes are darting around non stop, you should be shown the door with him.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Worked for the Lions!!

He said a better coach, not a whiter coach.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The problem with the Jets job beyond the total lack of talent on the roster is that 1) because this GM hasn't done a good job so far in replacing the previous GM he becomes on the hot seat and you'll get fired with him OR the new guy comes in and has to be handcuffed with you effectively creating this current situation again. The other thing is ownership meddling and general incompetence from them. They stuck their nose into things and hired Gase, let MacCagnan have another draft before firing him, hired a GM and told him he's only partially in charge because ownership wants Gase as the coach not whoever he wants.

The real thing that needs to happen is they need to totally clean house from top to bottom. Bring in someone who is gonna tell Chris Johnson to keep his nose out of things, shut up and sign the checks and stay out of the way. The odds of that happening are slim to none, but they arent gonna have any success until it does because it's going to be a game of undermining the people you hire over and over

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

sean10mm posted:

Part of me kind of loves how terrible NFL coaches can be. At least 1 in 4 NFL coaches is aggressively horrible at their job. Like just loving dumb.

Gase cut the crusts off Pey-Pey's cucumber sandwiches and he's vaulted to the top of his profession while never looking like anything but a dildo with a pair of googly eyes stuck on it. Something Something America.txt.
Yeah, agreed. It will never not be hilarious how much job security you have once you reach the upper levels of team management in the NFL. Once you get to even the position coach level, you're set for life. No matter how loving awful you are at your job, there's always gonna be a team that will hire you, maybe even for an upgrade to OC/DC/head coach!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Matt Patricia and blowing double-digit leads, name a more iconic duo

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bill O'Brien the head coach and Bill O'Brien the general manager

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Fire Mike McCarthy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man the cowboys would be insane if they played four quarters

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Says a lot when the offense only works when the defense is tired.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Mike McCarthy Experience

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

The next update should list Matt Patricia with a never ending tail of fire emojis

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Fire Mike McCarthy

Look continuity is important and it's like Jason Garret never left.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith/status/1312853557742370816

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

He knows Belichick’s coffee order

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
His picks were good under the coach he fired! :colbert:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Gettleman’s seat is on fire and I think if he gets fired Judge goes with him.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 4, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why did the Lions fire Caldwell?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kirios posted:

Couldn't get the team over the hump. The Lions have expectations they expect to hit.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Armitage posted:

Gettleman’s seat is on fire and I think if he gets fired Judge goes with him.

The giants are too classy for this

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Kirios posted:

he hosed up the Lions culture of being constant losers with no hope

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kalli posted:

Couldn't get the team over the hump. The Lions have expectations they expect to hit.

Well Patricia is a large hump and I'd take Caldwell over him any day.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The giants are too classy for this

and classiness is what gets you a GM trapped in a time when players were still wearing leather helmets.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Kirios posted:

Fat Matt the rapist needed a job.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
now I've had a lot of harsh words for Patricia, but I understand it's a tough job. In fact, I'd love to invite him to join me to hash things out over a cask of Amontillado I've stored under Ford Field.

Kirios posted:

Caldwell could get the team to play to its level of talent, but not much beyond that. So we'd (mostly) beat bad teams we were supposed to beat, but only rarely beat actually good teams. Lions also had a habit of losing games we absolutely needed to win, such as his second-to-last game, a loss against a Bengals team with nothing to play for that would have gotten us into the playoffs.

of course with all that said, gently caress I'd have Caldwell back in a heartbeat over Patricia if that was an option.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hey at least they didn't blow a fourth-quarter lead this time.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I think if Caldwell had one more season there would be less reminiscing about him, but since they fired him when they did there needed to be an immediate improvement so lol.

Quinn has played all the big hits from the ex NE front office blunder catalogue with a rapist head coach twist. What a run.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah that whole timeline was loving clown shoes management. "Caldwell can't get this team to contender level, and the level of talent on this team should put them right on the edge of it at a minimum" - an assessment I actually agree with. Patricia is hired and immediately there's a huge regression in their ability. "Well he needs time to install his scheme and players" - wait what? This team was already on the edge of contention with the roster they had why are you torpedoing everything that got them there? I mean he should have been given zero years in my opinion but barring that you get 1 season to get your poo poo together and if you still look like hot garbage halfway through the next at the latest you should be gone. Not 3 years of failure with a team that you justified firing the last coach because he wasn't taking them to the next level.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Lions didn't actually have super bowl run talent is the joke. That team over performed under old stone face

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Not super bowl run talent, no. A roster that was on the edge of contention, though, yeah they were.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Parallelwoody posted:

Not super bowl run talent, no. A roster that was on the edge of contention, though, yeah they were.

They were also more fun to watch back then. Yeah they had a poo poo run game where announcers would go on and on about them not having a 100 yard rusher for so long but in general the games were fun and you always thought the Lions at least had a chance.

Although Patricia's rank failure is not really something to be upset about. You knowingly hire a man who has extremely credible gang rape allegations leveled against him, all because he's Bill Belichek's coffee boy . The Lions deserve everything they've gotten and more

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I mean, I don't think the players or fans deserve it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
If Lynn goes back to Tyrod, put him on the hot seat

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Parallelwoody posted:

They were in contention because of Caldwell though. They looked in contention because of Caldwell. There were/are good players on that roster but they over performed with him.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It was pretty good the level he was able to elevate the team after how poorly they had sunk, but it was clear he wasn't going to get them to take the next step. For as much as they were able to over perform sometimes, there were too many games they were absolutely unprepared and that were poorly game-planned.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Parallelwoody posted:

I mean, I don't think the players or fans deserve it.

No, they don't and it's too bad but someone had to be punished for that transgression. It's 2020, karma is back baby

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Parallelwoody posted:

It was pretty good the level he was able to elevate the team after how poorly they had sunk, but it was clear he wasn't going to get them to take the next step. For as much as they were able to over perform sometimes, there were too many games they were absolutely unprepared and that were poorly game-planned.

Yeah, the Bengals game I mentioned was the most egregious loss, but there were more than a few really bad losses during his tenure. We also started the 2015 season (Calvin Johnson's last year) 1-7, and the 2016 season of miracle comebacks was built on winning against bad teams with last-second field goals. Caldwell was, arguably, a much worse coach than his record indicated, and there were very few people in Detroit who were sorry to see him go at the time.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't think anyone expected the Caldwell Lions to be an actual Super Bowl contender (other than maybe the owners), but the lowkey best part of his tenure was that he brought stability and a happy locker room after literal decades of turmoil. Even the Jim Schwartz years were stuck with his hardass tactics as they tried to rebuild from 0-16, and he never got over the hump. Caldwell inherited a solid talent base, built a great locker room culture, went to the playoffs and barely missed it the next year ... which got him fired as his GM chased the next Great White Belichick Wannabe Savior.

I mean, what do you even do at that point?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

Samadhi posted:

The Mike McCarthy Experience

It's actually surprising how consistent this has been throughout his coaching career.

Everyone knows about the infamous 4Q collapse in 2014, but the McCarthy Packers always struggled with playing complete games, often flipping between "come out hot and slowly coast to the precarious finish" and "come out cold and fall way behind before finally catching up in the second half".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1313221256980946944?s=19

I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!