Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

On the subject of the radar, I did a shitload of black hole jumping last night, because I'm an idiot who wants to get to the next galaxy the old fashioned way rather than just using a portal.

Why the hell do black holes not show up on your radar? So much time spent spinning around trying to find the things.

If you finish one of the main quests, all black holes will show up on your star map.

Alternatively, one of the anomaly-dudes will give you fresh coordinates every time you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Libluini posted:

If you finish one of the main quests, all black holes will show up on your star map.

Alternatively, one of the anomaly-dudes will give you fresh coordinates every time you ask.

No I have that, I mean on your radar, not the galaxy map. It’s frustrating when you lose track of where you are in relation to the black hole in a system.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

No I have that, I mean on your radar, not the galaxy map. It’s frustrating when you lose track of where you are in relation to the black hole in a system.

Oh. To be fair, I never had that problem because that huge thing was incredibly obvious in every system I had to use one in. :v:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Is there still an event to get a free freighter? I could have sworn there was an early encounter to save a freighter being attacked but after 5 or so jumps I've yet to see it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

seriously why isn't there a UI for third person ship view to at least show outside temp or fuel level? what the hell?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CRAYON posted:

Is there still an event to get a free freighter? I could have sworn there was an early encounter to save a freighter being attacked but after 5 or so jumps I've yet to see it.

Yeah but they might have upped the jumps needed. It still happens.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Some Goon posted:

Yeah but they might have upped the jumps needed. It still happens.

Awesome, thanks. I will remain patient and save my units.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Freighter encounter requires three hours of uninterrupted play, that might be causing your issue. I grabbed on the other morning two jumps after the three hour mark. Kind of wish I would have passed it by, one of the absolutely massive class A ones spawned this morning and I wasn't able to afford it.

Picked the game up during the last steam sale, have put a lot of hours into it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it doesn't have to be uninterrupted.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

never get the first one anyways it's just a regular freighter. proper capital ships don't show up until the second one

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

What's a good "potential damage" stat to look for in a multi tool to carry me for a while? I just got my rear end handed to me by the walker in the weapons station quest line

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

What's a good "potential damage" stat to look for in a multi tool to carry me for a while? I just got my rear end handed to me by the walker in the weapons station quest line

any with the grenade launcher thing installed.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

any with the grenade launcher thing installed.

yeah I noticed that it's not worth even trying to shoot over launching grenades, but my tool only had like 1300 potential damage and the highest I've seen was like 3k so I was wondering if it was worth it

guess I just need to get better at lobbing the grenades at the walker

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah I noticed that it's not worth even trying to shoot over launching grenades, but my tool only had like 1300 potential damage and the highest I've seen was like 3k so I was wondering if it was worth it

guess I just need to get better at lobbing the grenades at the walker

if you just sit behind a corner of a building or rock you can just dodge out to plink it between lasers until you shoot its armor off

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Any weapon will do once you know where to aim, just get an upgrade or two for the weapon and for your shields. Well not the geology cannon, that's only for killing yourself.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I'll be honest, the combat in this game, even with the walkers, is completely trivialized by just strafing. Not even proper circle-strafing, just strafing. I had no problems at early outset of the game just strafing and murdering multiple walkers in succession with very few boltcaster upgrades. Doom, this ain't.

That said, save the quad servos and walker brains since they're used for stuff later.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I'm pretty fully hooked at this point, very glad I picked it up in the last steam sale. It's also so enraging at points, but drat do I always find an excuse to do "five more minutes, then I'm done". I was doing some chlorine expansion and left to do the main story mission. Came back and literally every refinery I had running was completely empty. Guess it's a pretty common bug? Also how do y'all deal with the limited inventory? I've been doing drop pod coordinate runs anytime I see them for sale. Spent a while today just doing that on a random planet, and then buying inventory slots when I hit a new system. Just figured out after doing a bunch of runs that the cargo area of the exosuit is waaay more expensive than the primary, so I'll be focusing all drop pod expansion there. This game rules. Really need to upgrade from the starting ship though!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Strongly recommend getting the various exocraft and slapping signal boosters on them. Each one has a different set of stuff it can scan for, and one or two of them can do drop pods without needing to buy coordinates.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Iron Lung posted:

Also how do y'all deal with the limited inventory?

Prioritize, expand, prioritize, expand - then, once you get your freighter, and build storage units on the freighter, you will never have inventory issues again.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Cool. I have the first free freighter, so I'll toss some storage units in the hold. I have three up and running at my base, but still seem to fill up my slots so quickly when I'm out mucking around. Will also look into the exocraft, I just have the starter one so far. I also hate my og base, so I think it's time to start seriously searching for the 2.0 version. I'm on a paradise planet (I think everyone starts on a similar one), but kinda want an ice or desert base, sounds badass. Should probably also look into using all the generators/extractors, I havent placed a single one yet. ALSO is the armorer questline really bugged? I literally can't find the guy after building the terminal. It sends me to my home system space station, and then once I'm inside the waypoint changes to 771u away, straight out the landing zone lol.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Saw this on sale. Remember it being a trash fire at release but I know there has been some patches. What’s been added?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Big thanks for the advice about the exocraft scanners, I had no idea

and yeah I built my first real base and spent a while fiddling with the solar power, then got the quest for the survey scanner and learned about hot spots :smith:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Popoto posted:

What’s been added?

Like, alot.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Oh. I know a better frame of reference: I liked Elite Dangerous, a game many consider trash. Will I like this?

So far I barely survived the trek to the ship. Not sure who thought making you start in an ice cold planet on the verge of freezing unless you find the necessary materials in the 20 seconds it takes before dying but.... NMS gonna NMS I suppose?

I was fine with that but I cannot imagine someone who is new to the genre liking that experience.

Up to repairing the ship. I like the ambiance. My only real gripe is the control of the circle for the UI. It feels really floaty (I’m on ps4). Is there a setting somewhere to toggle to make it more snappy?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Popoto posted:

Oh. I know a better frame of reference: I liked Elite Dangerous, a game many consider trash. Will I like this?

Seeing as you own it, keep playing and determine for yourself I guess? For where I am in the game, it boils down to

- explore
- collect materials
- craft/upgrade some stuff
- send my frigates out on missions
- go do missions myself.

It's a chill game.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's a bit difficult right off the bat, but once you get the ball rolling and can regularly afford the basics (hazard suit recharges/mods, life support stuff, starship launch fuel, warp fuel to name a few) it becomes trivially easy, even on the "Survival" mode difficulty. You can basically ignore the survival mechanics a few hours into the game and start focusing more on storylines, exploration etc.

There's a good chance once you unlock the Anomaly that a random player will gift you with valuable items, like they did me, so I haven't had to worry about credit stuff very much. All the suit upgrades!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I’m at the part where you just visited the station and receive the call for space. So far I’m having fun. Some things are a bit fiddly (like placing walls for structures), but nothing too bad. I’m getting some Subnautica in space vibes from this.

Anyone knows why when I enter my base it says it’s an “Ancient Ruin”?

Also I don’t really like the spot I picked nor the planet. I figure there’s no point in destroying or packing stuff up. It’s probably just easier to leave and rebuild your stuff somewhere else yeah?

Edit/ oh yeah also: *_* units received *_*

Popoto fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 10, 2020

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Popoto posted:

So far I barely survived the trek to the ship. Not sure who thought making you start in an ice cold planet on the verge of freezing unless you find the necessary materials in the 20 seconds it takes before dying but.... NMS gonna NMS I suppose?

I was fine with that but I cannot imagine someone who is new to the genre liking that experience.

Up to repairing the ship. I like the ambiance. My only real gripe is the control of the circle for the UI. It feels really floaty (I’m on ps4). Is there a setting somewhere to toggle to make it more snappy?

People think ED is trash? I like ED a lot, I also like NMS a lot. Both are very different games.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

John F Bennett posted:

People think ED is trash? I like ED a lot, I also like NMS a lot. Both are very different games.

Most of the comments I’ve read were along the lines of “it’s visually impressive but there’s nothing to do but grind credits for bigger ship” which to me seems like missing the point of an infinitely explorable galaxy.

My biggest pet peeve with it was the lack of official options to change the ship’s hud color :colbert:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Sure, but you don't have to grind. I've been using ED to just get out there and explore, see the sights and take pretty pictures with a cheap ship.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Popoto posted:

Saw this on sale. Remember it being a trash fire at release but I know there has been some patches. What’s been added?

After a couple hundred hours, it’s still disappointing. Everything is so same-y. Progression is slow at first and then pointless by mid game. Main quests are bad. Premium currency grind is a slog.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeahhh I just got a known bugged quest that is going to be stuck in my log, really takes the wind out of my sails

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Zesty posted:

After a couple hundred hours, it’s still disappointing. Everything is so same-y. Progression is slow at first and then pointless by mid game. Main quests are bad. Premium currency grind is a slog.

Comments like this make me laugh "I put HUNDREDS of hours into this game, but it's disappointing"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

NMS won Best Ongoing Game at the game awards and Sean Murray was not expecting to win so they cut to him mid-drink

https://twitter.com/BlancEcho_Yuuri/status/1337207197445419011?s=19

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmbo his speech was like "what do you mean fortnite didn't win again?"

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Just lost a full stack of emeril and chromatic metal, came back to an empty refiner. Not a big deal but annoying. What can you do while the refiner is working without losing materials? I'm assuming leaving the planet and stuff like that is a no-go.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

You could dig a hole, or ride a dino.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Summon an exocraft and do sick jumps off cliffs.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I wish exocrafts were faster. They move so slowwwww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Popoto posted:

Anyone knows why when I enter my base it says it’s an “Ancient Ruin”?

Your base is probably on the edge of a zone for a ruin. One of my bases has the same label and there's a Gek Plaque about 600 units away.