Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just finished Piranesi and holy poo poo what an amazing book for the person who has been quarantined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The following books become public domain in the US tomorrow:

F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Virginia Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway
Ernest Hemingway, In Our Time
Franz Kafka, The Trial (in German)
Theodore Dreiser, An American Tragedy
John Dos Passos, Manhattan Transfer
Alain Locke, The New Negro (collecting works from writers including W.E.B. du Bois, Countee Cullen, Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Claude McKay, Jean Toomer, and Eric Walrond)
Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith
Agatha Christie, The Secret of Chimneys
Aldous Huxley, Those Barren Leaves
W. Somerset Maugham, The Painted Veil
Dorothy Scarborough, On the Trail of Negro Folk-Songs
Edith Wharton, The Writing of Fiction
Etsu Inagaki Sugimoto, A Daughter of the Samurai

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gripweed posted:

a 2021 read thread could be fun, where people post the books they've read and little reviews of them

Like the "what did you just finish" sticky thread, or (for a somewhat more goal-focused approach) the yearly "booklord challenge" threads?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ToxicFrog posted:

Like the "what did you just finish" sticky thread, or (for a somewhat more goal-focused approach) the yearly "booklord challenge" threads?

The former. Just a chill place to post about books you read that couldnt maintain a thread of their own, see what other people are reading, maybe hear about some books outside your wheelhouse, etc.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The following books become public domain in the US tomorrow:

F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Virginia Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway
Ernest Hemingway, In Our Time
Franz Kafka, The Trial (in German)
Theodore Dreiser, An American Tragedy
John Dos Passos, Manhattan Transfer
Alain Locke, The New Negro (collecting works from writers including W.E.B. du Bois, Countee Cullen, Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Claude McKay, Jean Toomer, and Eric Walrond)
Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith
Agatha Christie, The Secret of Chimneys
Aldous Huxley, Those Barren Leaves
W. Somerset Maugham, The Painted Veil
Dorothy Scarborough, On the Trail of Negro Folk-Songs
Edith Wharton, The Writing of Fiction
Etsu Inagaki Sugimoto, A Daughter of the Samurai
Does that mean they are functionally public domain worldwide?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

technically yes, functionally maybe/not yet

whoever owns the rights to their later works will definitely harass you if you put these ones out, whether it's legal or not. you will probably be asked to prove that the copy you put out is exactly from the old published edition that is now in the public domain

remember that the second or any further editions may not be in the PD

that said, they will be published, and they will show up on like proj gutenberg etc, its just gonna be a hassle cause corporate rights holders wont let it be easy

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I just finished Piranesi and holy poo poo what an amazing book for the person who has been quarantined.

Piranesi was definitely the best novel I read this year.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

That actually might make for an interesting thread: reading through the major new public domain works. New thread annually to start fresh.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

regulargonzalez posted:

That actually might make for an interesting thread: reading through the major new public domain works. New thread annually to start fresh.

That is a pretty cool idea

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/LivPosting/status/1344882685550895104?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I made the "What's the last book you read" thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953645

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol the usernames

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Sarern posted:

Piranesi was definitely the best novel I read this year.

I've actually bought the audiobook after finishing the print version. It's narrated by the excellent actor Chiwetel Ejiofor. The structure of the book makes it perfect for listening to little audio bites.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/GBookposting/status/1346695928737013761?s=20

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've actually bought the audiobook after finishing the print version. It's narrated by the excellent actor Chiwetel Ejiofor. The structure of the book makes it perfect for listening to little audio bites.

I couldn't not buy it after your post :homebrew:. I had the same experience: the audiobook was also excellent!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Just started Neuromancer. Figured I'd be a true punk and skip the Cyberpunk game and go straight to the OG story.
I got a hardback copy btw
edit: I like pics, here is a pic

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 17, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
What is a good way to read? Maybe, get in bed and read for an hour? I haven't read a book that wasn't manga in a really long time. But I read a LOT in my 20s, just for my free time. All the classics, Moby Dick I'd say was the most challenging. Or maybe The Magus. I reckon my favorite was 3 Musketeers, Kidnapped, Seawolf, Diary of Arthur Gordon Pimm. Really liked those high adventure stories

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cheese Thief posted:

What is a good way to read? Maybe, get in bed and read for an hour? I haven't read a book that wasn't manga in a really long time. But I read a LOT in my 20s, just for my free time. All the classics, Moby Dick I'd say was the most challenging. Or maybe The Magus. I reckon my favorite was 3 Musketeers, Kidnapped, Seawolf, Diary of Arthur Gordon Pimm. Really liked those high adventure stories

Don't read in bed, it's bad for sleep because your brain gets accustomed to the bed not being for sleeping. Do you have a comfy chair?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Don't read in bed, it's bad for sleep because your brain gets accustomed to the bed not being for sleeping. Do you have a comfy chair?

I don't lay in bed except to sleep and never have problems sleeping. Last night when I started reading (in bed) I fell asleep after 1 and a half pages. So, thus the problem might be falling asleep instantly :) Point taken though, I'll find an alternative. I could say, lay a big pillow on the floor and put my back against it. The floor gives me such good vibes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cheese Thief posted:

I don't lay in bed except to sleep and never have problems sleeping. Last night when I started reading (in bed) I fell asleep after 1 and a half pages. So, thus the problem might be falling asleep instantly :) Point taken though, I'll find an alternative. I could say, lay a big pillow on the floor and put my back against it. The floor gives me such good vibes.

I gave up my habit of reading on the floor in the FDF because the officers didn't like it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Cheese Thief posted:

Just started Neuromancer. Figured I'd be a true punk and skip the Cyberpunk game and go straight to the OG story.

I finished this like a week ago and I liked it a lot. I'm looking forward to reading the sequels.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Cheese Thief posted:

Probably my favorite opening line of all time, and it's a shame it will very soon be an obsolete and incomphrensible one.

quote:

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Just a perfectly pitched pulpy intro. Hope you enjoy! It's a fun read, and one I re-read probably once a year.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
One of my absolute favorite books. I tend to go traditional armchair, by a fireplace with a giant mug of tea. As noted, in bed means I lose track of where it was I 'closed my eyes for just a moment'.

As I get older (mid 40s) I find myself irritatingly unable to read for more than about 3 hours at a stretch, my eyes start aching. In my teens I'd often read for 6+ hours, knock out books in a single go. Already have bifocals, so no help there.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I should make a thread where I just write down quotes. I have a huge list in .txt format of quotes from books and tv shows I want to remember. I might as well put the words on here for people to read instead of as a document on my computer. It's a super low effort which is all I care to do.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Arkhamina posted:

One of my absolute favorite books. I tend to go traditional armchair, by a fireplace with a giant mug of tea. As noted, in bed means I lose track of where it was I 'closed my eyes for just a moment'.

As I get older (mid 40s) I find myself irritatingly unable to read for more than about 3 hours at a stretch, my eyes start aching. In my teens I'd often read for 6+ hours, knock out books in a single go. Already have bifocals, so no help there.

When's the last time you got a new prescription? I had terrible eyestrain reading anything until I got a new prescription and discovered my eyesight was actually improving a bit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arkhamina posted:

I once read a book on the bog, and boy did my thighs hurt! (It was like 120 pages but still.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I once read a book on the bog, and boy did my thighs hurt! (It was like 120 pages but still.)

https://youtu.be/YbYWhdLO43Q (mildly nws)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 19, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What is this poo poo?!?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What is this poo poo?!?

A reading aid.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Arkhamina posted:

E-readers are great for this because of the ability to change font sizes on the fly. The ability to read everything in large print is ultimately what made my mother switch over from physical books.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Fall of 2019, been holding off for a bit. I was warned I was a couple years out from trifocals... I wanted to get LAZOR EYES, but not a candidate.

I plan to buy a tablet in the next paycheck or so, will give it a try. I find myself grumpy about the newfangled screen book, but I will probably have to settle and accept it. I have strong luddite tendencies, that I have to manage. Only got a microwave in my 30s..

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Arkhamina posted:

Fall of 2019, been holding off for a bit. I was warned I was a couple years out from trifocals... I wanted to get LAZOR EYES, but not a candidate.

I plan to buy a tablet in the next paycheck or so, will give it a try. I find myself grumpy about the newfangled screen book, but I will probably have to settle and accept it. I have strong luddite tendencies, that I have to manage. Only got a microwave in my 30s..

YMMV but I found the dedicated e-readers to be much, much easier on my eyes than a tablet.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Uh, how are they different? I assumed it would be just software?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Arkhamina posted:

It's been a while since I bought a new Kindle, but at the time, there was a big difference in the screen. A normal tablet had a backlit display screen like a laptop or computer. The Kindle just formed black text against a matte, off-white screen with no backlighting. The result was that I could read a Kindle easily as long as a paperback without eye strain. The same was not true for Ipads or other tablets. The one I have also has built-in frontlighting you can turn on, but same deal: it was much less eye strain than a tablet.

Also the battery lasted way longer... weeks of daily use with the e-reader versus eight to ten hours on a tablet.

That was several years ago so the difference may no longer be as large. When this one breaks, though, I'm going for another e-reader rather than a tablet.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Arkhamina posted:

Backlit LCD versus e-ink. The latter is much easier on the eyes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Kindles also have a slightly textured screen, so they don't really collect fingerprints, and the response of turning a page feels nicer. They also format the fonts and page layouts a little differently than their iPad counterparts. Plus, the battery life is great, the smaller size is convenient, and the light system and e-ink others have mentioned make it easier to read than an iPad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just noticed in a single-volume edition of a book that was originally published in two volumes that it's the 7th printing of the 1st part but the 6th printing of the 2nd part. Sad!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

As someone with eye issues, e-readers are much, much easier on the eyes than tablets or other screens.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Franchescanado posted:

Kindles also have a slightly textured screen, so they don't really collect fingerprints, and the response of turning a page feels nicer. They also format the fonts and page layouts a little differently than their iPad counterparts. Plus, the battery life is great, the smaller size is convenient, and the light system and e-ink others have mentioned make it easier to read than an iPad.

This is only true of the basic non frontlit version of the Kindle, the Paperwhite and Oasis have glass over the screen now. I actually kind of miss the screen texture but I don't miss the recessed screen gathering dust and pet hair. However and I cannot stress this enough: do not buy a non frontlit e-reader. I could never go back.
There's a an e-reader thread in IYG if you want more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Humerus posted:

This is only true of the basic non frontlit version of the Kindle, the Paperwhite and Oasis have glass over the screen now. I actually kind of miss the screen texture but I don't miss the recessed screen gathering dust and pet hair. However and I cannot stress this enough: do not buy a non frontlit e-reader. I could never go back.
There's a an e-reader thread in IYG if you want more info.

It's still a matte finished glass, though, so it doesn't have glare issues. Still very easy to read in the sun or under various lightning conditions, you never get that "trying to read but all I can see is the reflection of my face" thing that can happen with a phone or a tablet.

Arkhamina posted:

E-ink readers are usually side-lit. There's a transparent light guide under the screen that directs light towards the screen from side-mounted LEDs. This gives you a clearly lit screen without making you stare directly at the light source. Tablets are back-lit, which means that the light is coming from behind the screen and you're staring directly at the light source while you read.