Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thehoodie posted:

Excited to watch the Canucks-Flames series of pointless games. Wtf NHL?

They need to air the games to fulfill TV and advertising obligations, it's why last season was only officially postponed and they did the goofy postseason-but-not-playoffs round in the bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

DJExile posted:

They need to air the games to fulfill TV and advertising obligations, it's why last season was only officially postponed and they did the goofy postseason-but-not-playoffs round in the bubble.

If an ad airs during a hockey game and there's nobody around to see it, do the network execs still get paid? Yes

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I know it's only the President's trophy but...

The Avs were historically bad four years ago. And now look at 'em.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Maybe when Connor McDavid is 25 he can win the presidents trophy too.

Wait he's how old?

E: but seriously I did think their age difference was more than it is. The oilers are loving wasting that man's prime

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 14, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Maybe when Connor McDavid is 25 he can win the presidents trophy too.

Wait he's how old?

E: but seriously I did think their age difference was more than it is. The oilers are loving wasting that man's prime

He's only 3 months older than the rookie of the year.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Powershift posted:

He's only 3 months older than the rookie of the year.

McDavid is actually the same age as Zub

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

LumpyGumby posted:

I know it's only the President's trophy but...

The Avs were historically bad four years ago. And now look at 'em.

Bednar's a good coach

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Bednar's a good coach

And Sakic is a good exec.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

It’s kind of weird to me that the Avs won the presidents trophy despite having fewer wins than the VGK. I know how the tiebreaker works but I don’t feel like they should be discounting overtime wins like this

It seems excessively complex and the result looks wrong when you look at the standings.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Aces High posted:

Bednar's a good coach

May get the Adams trophy as well, but the Avs were "supposed" to win so probably not.

Grubauer has a lot of the right stats for Vezina

Makar strong Norris candidate but games played is against him, Fox on performance and Hedman on name/performance edge him out I bet.

MacKinnon should have won the Hart last year, but no chance this year even if the voters decide they don't want to give it to McDavid for "reasons"

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

Congratulations to the Avalanche on the Presidents Trophy. I wish them all the luck that comes with it.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
1 and 1 so far!

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I like to think the Kings sacrificed the last two games to make sure the Knights don't get home ice.

Are we getting a playoff N/V thread?

My ranking of which teams I'd like to see win:
Maple Leafs
Panthers
Wild
Jets
Islanders
Predators
Hurricanes
Oilers
Capitals
Avalanche
Canadiens
Bruins
Blues
Lightning
Knights
Penguins

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 14, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
This is the first year in quite a while that it's not pretty obvious who's going to get the Adams. Normally I'd expect Brind'Amour but it's unclear how many of the voters are aware Carolina has an NHL team. So probably Bednar but I dunno.

McDavid will probably get the Hart unanimously

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Number19 posted:

It’s kind of weird to me that the Avs won the presidents trophy despite having fewer wins than the VGK. I know how the tiebreaker works but I don’t feel like they should be discounting overtime wins like this

It seems excessively complex and the result looks wrong when you look at the standings.

On the other hand, an expansion team winning the president's trophy would be weirder.

(Yes, I know it's been three years -- they're still "the expansion team" until Seattle plays a game)

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
As much as I'd love it, the Avs aren't winning any of the stat trophies. Bednar is going to get overlooked, McDavid is nuts, Makar was injured (and he'll win one soon enough) and Grubauer, while great, wasn't as good as Fleury, Vasi etc.

Sakic should win GM of the year but that's it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

fisting by many posted:

(Yes, I know it's been three years -- they're still "the expansion team" until Seattle plays a game)

...and then they'll be "the other expansion team"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/fr_aquilini/status/1371638893745823749?s=19

The Canucks are 7-11-1 since this gem from ownership

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Mr. Kite posted:

I like to think the Kings sacrificed the last two games to make sure the Knights don't get home ice.

Are we getting a playoff N/V thread?

My ranking of which teams I'd like to see win:
Maple Leafs
Panthers
Wild
Jets
Islanders
Predators
Hurricanes
Oilers
Capitals
Avalanche
Canadiens
Bruins
Blues
Lightning
Knights
Penguins

There will be a playoff thread. Someone could make it now, or wait until after the utterly pointless makeup games still to come.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Melnyk is at it again!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/eugene-melnyk-lawsuits-yacht-cruise-bahamas-1.6024743

Spent Christmas during the pandemic on a Carribean super yacht that coat $500,000 a week and is now trying to get out of paying by suing the company for $10m because there were rough seas.

No financial issues there, no sir.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I could be half tempted to pull for the leafs to get a historic win if only the media promises to stop being lovely nihilists for a year or two but we all know they wouldn't make it to the end of summer before squeezing out a couple of "Here's why the leafs should buy out Tavares" and "Is Nylander's Hair a Locker room Distraction?" hot takes

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Melnyk is at it again!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/eugene-melnyk-lawsuits-yacht-cruise-bahamas-1.6024743

Spent Christmas during the pandemic on a Carribean super yacht that coat $500,000 a week and is now trying to get out of paying by suing the company for $10m because there were rough seas.

No financial issues there, no sir.

What an article. I don’t know what’s the best part, when Melnyk insisted the boat take a route more inland despite it being physically impossible for the boat to do so or when they left a glowing review in the guestbook before suddenly changing their mind and suing for “emotional distress”. Absolute piece of poo poo.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's a real gem, this part was my favourite

quote:

The captain "appeared angry and resentful that a charterer would deem to intrude on his alleged specialized knowledge, experience, and authority ... and sought instead to punish the charterer and his party for their insolence through intentionally piloting the yacht into the open ocean," both statements of claim allege. 

You mean the man who's spent his career safely captaining yachts didn't want to intentionally run his ship aground at the behest of a race horse owner? Sounds like a real piece of work.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Do Canadian courts punish frivolous lawsuits/can the captain/company counter-sue in such a way that perhaps this sea captain becomes the senators' owner

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Do Canadian courts punish frivolous lawsuits/can the captain/company counter-sue in such a way that perhaps this sea captain becomes the senators' owner

Look at me, I’m the Sens owner now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Man Melnyk really seems to go out of his way to be the least sympathetic figure ever. "Waaahh they wouldn't let me plot the course of the super yacht during my insanely selfish Christmas vacation in the middle of a pandemic. I don't want to pay any more give me $10 million."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Tbf all he has to do is start taking roids and talking about space and a million Internet morons will come to his defence and swat that captain and crew as god intended.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Tbf all he has to do is start taking roids and talking about space and a million Internet morons will come to his defence and swat that captain and crew as god intended.

Joe Rogan as a team owner would be a trip, yeah

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The captain has also been reported a complaint that Melnyk had 'I'm on a boat" playing on repeat the entire trip.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I said space, not monkeys.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/CBeataE/status/1393199811676024834

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Tagging myself as the ill-tempered, British sea captain inducing 'violent vomiting' upon anyone associated with Melnyk.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Vexatious lawsuits have pretty strict standards for penalizing the person filing suit, and the captain's best bet would be to file a defamation claim before Melnyk does. Canadian courts and Commonwealth courts in general are wildly, absurdly in favor of plaintiffs in defamation cases.

So no, Ottawa will continue to suffer until the NHL decides it's time to take ol' Yeller behind the shed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What kind of idiot even accepts Melnyk's business for anything at all? How can you not know what's coming?

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

What kind of idiot even accepts Melnyk's business for anything at all? How can you not know what's coming?

I doubt they know about a minor Canadian businessman.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

Goalies are like the drummers of hockey. They should just consider themselves lucky to hang out with the rest of the team.

I guess that makes the bassist the defensemen, the guitarists are the wingers, and the singers are the centers.

To continue this analogy, the sum total of the Montreal Canadiens' talent is equivalent to Winger.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

Buddy, let me tell you about the former president of the united states...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Call Your Grandma posted:

To continue this analogy, the sum total of the Montreal Canadiens' talent is equivalent to Winger.

So you're saying Montreal is a jam/instrumental psychedelic rock band

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

So you're saying Montreal is a jam/instrumental psychedelic rock band

they're Bootsauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003