Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FYI you can make your own nipple driver for traditional spoke nipples relatively easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Weembles posted:

We also have the same sort of cranks here that put too much energy complaining about people who ride their bikes wrong and wear the wrong clothes while doing it.

We do have a serious problem in the U.K. where car drivers will point at roadies using the regular road and screech about this is why bike lanes are a waste of MY PARKING SPACE while not once even glancing across at the foot of broken headlight glass/rubble/tin cans that accumulates down the side of all painted in bike lanes in the U.K.

Fine for someone like me pootling along carefully avoiding all the debris, an absolute death trap at anyone going over 17 mph.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Around here we have a couple of bike lanes (they're actually mups, but the city will tout them as bike infrastructure) with stop signs every 50' for every driveway and side street they intersect. Or...I could just bike in the road and enjoy all the right of way I can get without worry. It's not a hard choice to make. But damned if folks in cars can understand that.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my city is great for bikes it rules and i also get a kick out of the letters to the editor in the local rag from all the butt hurt car drivers

they also did this fun thing with pop up patios everywhere last year deleting even more prime real estate parking spots :unsmigghh:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Crumps Brother posted:

Around here we have a couple of bike lanes (they're actually mups, but the city will tout them as bike infrastructure) with stop signs every 50' for every driveway and side street they intersect. Or...I could just bike in the road and enjoy all the right of way I can get without worry. It's not a hard choice to make. But damned if folks in cars can understand that.

The pride of our local cycle community is a series of separated bike lanes through downtown that are built so that it's impossible to make turns. If you want to leave the bike lane you need to either dismount, climb up to the sidewalk and hit the beg button to cross in the crosswalk or fight your way into traffic one intersection early and ride with the cars to your turn.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

my city is great for bikes it rules and i also get a kick out of the letters to the editor in the local rag from all the butt hurt car drivers

they also did this fun thing with pop up patios everywhere last year deleting even more prime real estate parking spots :unsmigghh:

It's fun to see all of the places who were complaing that removing parking for bikelanes would close their restaurants fight to keep the same parking spaces closed for outdoor dining.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Clark Nova posted:

FYI you can make your own nipple driver for traditional spoke nipples relatively easily

Yeah, it's another decision point wrt investment in tools vs living with what you have. Not sure when I'll next build a wheel.
When I placed my spoke+nipples order, it was right before the store's July 4th vacation week, and they were out of the normal Sapim hex nipples.
The order filler made an executive decision to switch me over to the the locking version.

The locking version which I got doesn't have the slot to be driven by flathead or a tipped nipple driver, so I just fell into thinking it was a forced choice when using hex nipples.
Later I realized my original pick would have been amenable to the nipple driver.

As an intermission post on wheel building, here's my toddler's balance bike's 6 paired spoke wheel, which was super out of true:
https://i.imgur.com/mSlPK4b.mp4

Truing with paired spokes is really braindead, so in short order, I got front and rear trued up:
https://i.imgur.com/3mziQvc.mp4

Incidentally, the bearings on these wheels have very low drag. Guessing the spec doesn't need to hold up to as much weight:
https://i.imgur.com/LN2en1b.mp4
From a hard hand spin, it takes almost 2min to come to a stop.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

learnincurve posted:

We do have a serious problem in the U.K. where car drivers will point at roadies using the regular road and screech about this is why bike lanes are a waste of MY PARKING SPACE while not once even glancing across at the foot of broken headlight glass/rubble/tin cans that accumulates down the side of all painted in bike lanes in the U.K.

Fine for someone like me pootling along carefully avoiding all the debris, an absolute death trap at anyone going over 17 mph.

The only place I get reliably honked at is the 1.5-lane on each side slightly downhill road going east out of town (so absolutely zero issues with overtaking) because there's also a 2-3 foot wide two lane footpath with encroaching foliage that some nobs seem to think would be safe to do 40kph down

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Joining the chorus of voices dunking on that tweet.

To flip it around, people who care more about photo ops and "best bike city" rankings than actually being safe while using a bike are why we have lovely unsafe bike infrastructure.

Advocating against a substandard and unsafe bike lane that violates every best practice because city planners are too lazy to update the design to reflect the grade is a good thing.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

kimbo305 posted:

Incidentally, the bearings on these wheels have very low drag. Guessing the spec doesn't need to hold up to as much weight:
https://i.imgur.com/LN2en1b.mp4
From a hard hand spin, it takes almost 2min to come to a stop.

That means there's no grease whatsoever in them because kids bikes are trash that nobody wants to pay a dime more for.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
torque wrench finally arrived so today is the day to install my stages power meter :blastu:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
How hard is it to replace the cranks on my bike so I can track wattage?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

poemdexter posted:

Which crank do you have, and which power meter do you have picked out?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

poemdexter posted:

Not particularly, although ideally you'd have a torque wrench.

Personally I use power pedals (Favero assiomas)

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

SimonSays posted:

That means there's no grease whatsoever in them because kids bikes are trash that nobody wants to pay a dime more for.

I've found the build quality on Striders to be pretty exceptional. Got a pair for my twins almost three years ago and they're both still trucking.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Sab0921 posted:

This is an interesting thread, though I'm not sure it's true - the crux of their thesis is that there is often poor cycling infrastructure because the squeaky wheel cyclists are hardcore roadies who don't want to use protected bike lanes because it slows them down. Though I have never spoken to a single cyclist, hardcore 25 mph roadie or not, that didn't want safer protected cycling infrastructure. Those who want to go faster will just use the car lanes at higher risk.

https://twitter.com/Twonius/status/1410285500544475145

In places where infrastructure is sufficiently good (at least here in NL) roadies all ride on the bike paths, so I think it only applies to places where there are paths but they suck.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Heliosicle posted:

In places where infrastructure is sufficiently good (at least here in NL) roadies all ride on the bike paths, so I think it only applies to places where there are paths but they suck.

American bike paths have as much to do with Dutch bike paths as the mock airstrips cargo cults built have to do with international airports.

Edit: And for much the same reasons.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
to be fair it also tends to be them/us if you see a cyclist ride on the motorway, to skip an otherwise inconveniently sharp turn or most of a roundabout or to benefit from a smoother surface etc

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 21, 2021

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

to be fair it also tends to be them/us if you see a cyclist ride on the motorway, to skip an otherwise inconveniently sharp turn or most of a roundabout or to benefit from a smoother surface etc

That's true yeah, I guess it would happen less if e.g., the bike path follows the roundabout smoothly though at least?

Weembles posted:

American bike paths have as much to do with Dutch bike paths as the mock airstrips cargo cults built have to do with international airports.

Edit: And for much the same reasons.

Yeah you see the same "on paper" bike paths in the UK, especially where they're done by local towns/council's. Compared to the UK the rebuilding necessary here after WW2 "helped" in that roads were generally rebuilt to be a lot wider, so less restructuring was needed to accommodate the initial wave of bike paths. But I don't think that excuse exists in the US given the roads are gigantic already. There's other factors ofc like flatness of the land.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Dutch bike paths are essentially a second roadway, which is why they're fine to ride on at speed.

Heliosicle posted:

Yeah you see the same "on paper" bike paths in the UK, especially where they're done by local towns/council's. Compared to the UK the rebuilding necessary here after WW2 "helped" in that roads were generally rebuilt to be a lot wider, so less restructuring was needed to accommodate the initial wave of bike paths.

Fun fact: a whole bunch of UK urban roads were originally built with bike paths, it's just they ~mysteriously~ got displaced by road widening schemes/on street parking.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

It worth trying to clean contaminated brake pads or should I just toss them, clean the rotors, and slap new ones in there?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bilirubin posted:

It worth trying to clean contaminated brake pads or should I just toss them, clean the rotors, and slap new ones in there?

Depends how much pad is left. I just take sandpaper or a file to my MTB disc brake pads if they get a little glazed.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Sab0921 posted:

This is an interesting thread, though I'm not sure it's true - the crux of their thesis is that there is often poor cycling infrastructure because the squeaky wheel cyclists are hardcore roadies who don't want to use protected bike lanes because it slows them down. Though I have never spoken to a single cyclist, hardcore 25 mph roadie or not, that didn't want safer protected cycling infrastructure. Those who want to go faster will just use the car lanes at higher risk.

https://twitter.com/Twonius/status/1410285500544475145

You have to know some context here.

There have been some misguided projects in San Diego county, with the one in Cardiff By The Sea being the worst..

In that case a wide bike lane was replaced by a bollard separated cycle track with concrete blocks that have resulted in numerous serious injuries in a section of road that had less than 1/20th the incidents before.

Politicians bought into the premise that feeling safe was more important than actual safety.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X75Z_txehqEU5lnF1qnd6WcJUmweKlOsgIZg-Rc6AyU/edit

Cyclists are now avoiding the route or just taking the right car lane, which was previously unnecessary. It also hurt the visual aesthetic of this coastal route.

In Leucadia a bollard separated lane placed cyclists to the right of a lane where vehicles make right turns,. Result, a fatality on a road that didn’t have any before

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

Out of curiosity does the online bicycle shop name "Lord Gun" sound as weird to someone in the UK as it does to me sitting here in the US?

I thought the same thing. Bought 2 tires from them and they’re still cheaper shipped from Italy than US sites.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

There have been some misguided projects in San Diego county, with the one in Cardiff By The Sea being the worst..

In that case a wide bike lane was replaced by a bollard separated cycle track with concrete blocks that have resulted in numerous serious injuries in a section of road that had less than 1/20th the incidents before.

Politicians bought into the premise that feeling safe was more important than actual safety.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X75Z_txehqEU5lnF1qnd6WcJUmweKlOsgIZg-Rc6AyU/edit

Cyclists are now avoiding the route or just taking the right car lane, which was previously unnecessary. It also hurt the visual aesthetic of this coastal route.

In Leucadia a bollard separated lane placed cyclists to the right of a lane where vehicles make right turns,. Result, a fatality on a road that didn’t have any before
Familiar with the area but left before they installed that bike lane. Just read through the doc and looked around on street view. What a disaster of a bike lane.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Wolfy posted:

Familiar with the area but left before they installed that bike lane. Just read through the doc and looked around on street view. What a disaster of a bike lane.

You can be sure that the region has it all down on their "miles of safe bikeways" spreadsheet, though.

This too. Just imagine trying to get into that turn lane from Friars onto Ulric. But it's painted green so it must be safe!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Guinness posted:

check that your pedals are tight

checked it, seemed fine

SimonSays posted:

Check that your saddle is tight.

will check this now

bicievino posted:

Check that your shoelace isn't hitting the frame, or your front derailleur cable tapping the crankarm.

dont think this was it (was wearing shoes without laces when i first noticed it)

here's a video:
https://imgur.com/AEEKynx

the click is a bit loud. i've never serviced the bottom bracket after ~3500 miles and 3 years of riding. also wondering if it could be the bearings in the spd pedals? they're probably 4 years old and they are the dual sided spd/flat style ones.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

VideoGameVet posted:

Sweet hell, they've got two exit lanes from that highway going across the barely-there bike path. What a foolish road.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is your crank R8000? Has it got any cracks/splits appearing in it?
Guessing this isn't but just gonna throw it out there:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Wolfy posted:

… and even with the compiled statistics, we can’t get them to admit they royally hosed this up.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

BraveUlysses posted:

here's a video:
https://imgur.com/AEEKynx

the click is a bit loud. i've never serviced the bottom bracket after ~3500 miles and 3 years of riding. also wondering if it could be the bearings in the spd pedals? they're probably 4 years old and they are the dual sided spd/flat style ones.

It's happening precisely at 12 o'clock on the DS crank, so that at least narrows it down to cranks, chaining/bolts, FD, BB, pedals.

Sometimes it's something as stupid as your crankarm brushing against the derailleur cable crimp, but at least that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I recently ordered https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current and suspect it's going to be too bumpy for some of the gravel I ride on. How would you go about fixing that? Front suspension? Seat post suspension? Nice plush tires?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

I recently ordered https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current and suspect it's going to be too bumpy for some of the gravel I ride on. How would you go about fixing that? Front suspension? Seat post suspension? Nice plush tires?

With 2" tires, I really don't think you'll have terrain problems that can be solved outside of real suspension.
Just lower the tire pressure a bit when you take a ride through the roughest gravel. Certainly ride it and see first.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

With 2" tires, I really don't think you'll have terrain problems that can be solved outside of real suspension.
Just lower the tire pressure a bit when you take a ride through the roughest gravel. Certainly ride it and see first.

I wouldn't bother buying anything until I've tried it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TobinHatesYou posted:

It's happening precisely at 12 o'clock on the DS crank, so that at least narrows it down to cranks, chaining/bolts, FD, BB, pedals.

Sometimes it's something as stupid as your crankarm brushing against the derailleur cable crimp, but at least that doesn't seem to be the case here.

someone suggested earlier to check the seat torque and it was fine, seat post needed a bit of tightening but this sound occurs even if i'm standing up and pedaling so its not the seat or seatpost.

it seems to be happening on both chainrings so i dont think its a bad tooth on there. wish i had a spare set of pedals to swap on and narrow it down.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What sort of a noise is it? Sounds really stupid but can you describe it. Is it like a 'tick' on a clock or more of a echoey sounding click?

If its more echoey, its reverberating in the frame so would suggest bottom bracket. If its more like a tick its a chainring. Since its happening in exactly the same place on each pedal stroke I would suggest you might have a tooth thats making a noise when engaging/disengaging the chain.

Edit: Listening to the video a bit more, is your derailleur indexed correctly? It kind of sounds like it is trying to change then dropping the chain.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 22, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Meanwhile in my town

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Question -

If this happens after a session of biking, is something wrong?

I'm joking. I went out and bought a new one this afternoon. I know this isn't the stationary bike thread and I won't poo poo it up anymore. I just thought the catastrophic failure might be funny to some folks.

I went with a Schwinn IC4 with a magnetic flywheel. I know I could rig up my old '97 Gary Fisher Mamba to some trainer, but I'm likely not ever going to be able to ride outdoors again.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Looks like it works with Zwift so you should definitely give it a try if you haven't already.

Have you looked into trikes or recumbents as a possible way to ride if you're still interested in getting out? There's a lot of disabled people around here who have all sorts of sick rides like fat bike quad recumbents. Unfortunately the reason I know about it is because a lot of them stick out on the local stolen bike Facebook page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Coxswain Balls posted:

Looks like it works with Zwift so you should definitely give it a try if you haven't already.

Have you looked into trikes or recumbents as a possible way to ride if you're still interested in getting out? There's a lot of disabled people around here who have all sorts of sick rides like fat bike quad recumbents. Unfortunately the reason I know about it is because a lot of them stick out on the local stolen bike Facebook page.

My main problem is getting off the ground should I land on it. I've biked around without an issue, it's my inability to help myself if I take a spill.

I also couldn't manage getting in and out of a recumbent, or I'd be all over that.

Gonna check out Zwift, thanks for the rec!