Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's been a whole new form of entertainment media for me. The decompressed, flatly described photonovel documentary experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

goatface posted:

It's been a whole new form of entertainment media for me. The decompressed, flatly described photonovel documentary experience.

I need more.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Op maybe you should do the Jared Leto suicide squad next. That’s another incoherent mess of colors and nonexistent plot points that could benefit from a clinical retelling.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I don't know what I'm going to do with myself after this movie is over

DamnCanadian posted:

What us no-sex-havers usually do with ourselves

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
....we're going to sing 4 non blondes?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

me itt

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

goatface posted:

I watched that youtube clip and it's horrifying seeing it in full motion.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well it would be. How could you expect it to survive the format shifting without a drop in quality?

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

as he was entwined by grasping doodle tendrils against a background of flat yellow stained with blood, the hero explicated, "they are trying to stop me!"

the doodles unleashed their oldest and most potent weapon, the randomly appearing stick of dynamite.

the hero shrugged off the attack.

a lusciously lipped doodle mouth picked him up by the seat of his spandex underpants.

the stars and stripes of the american flag blazed majestic in the sky.

the doodle tendrils dragged the hero away.

isabella malley woke to find herself transformed into a doodle chicken.

her daughter jennifer was caught in a temporal spasm, blinking back and forth between noid form and a frizzy-haired doodle with disturbing blank white eyes as a doodle wolf strolled calmly past, carrying a doodle sheep under each arm.

the doodle crowd throbbed and cavorted, filling the street with hooting chaos. a doodle nazi marched by with a red doodle hound on a chain, his pistol jammed into its doodle anus, his doodle compatriot trotting behind with a shovel and a bucket filled with steaming doodle nazi poo poo.

angel-winged doodle dogs in white pyjamas rained down anvils, barrels, iron safes and other heavy objects from doodle heaven.

a doodle hog dressed as elvis sang for the people of america.

the elvis hog was attacked by a fan.

the two fought, and then kissed in the aftermath.

unnoticed by anybody amidst the doodle orgy, jack's broken pen began to drip.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
in the noid world, things were hapoening

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She turned into little orphan Annie. How odd.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's shocking how fast this movie goes from dull to insane. I wish it were more like this

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

goatface posted:

She turned into little orphan Annie. How odd.

Yep, little Orphan Annie, and a call out to David Depatie-Friz Freleng 60's cartoons for some reason.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
It's like he key framed, let the inbetweeners do their thing and then took out all the key frames. It's all squash and stretch.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I have no words for whatever the gently caress is going on right now

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

whoa now this world is almost TOO cool.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

a doodle cigar popped out of the broken pen, followed by the rest of nails.

the corpse of brad pitt swarmed with doodle mice; it was unclear what they were doing to it.

nails billowed with emotion at the sight of his dead comrade. "hold on, hold on!" he cried, even though it was apparent from the pool of blood that it was far too late for that.

he bent over brad pitt's body and wept.

the hero continued to fight for control of the spike, assailed on every side by animal-headed spectres and hugely breasted things.

the vortex of ink formed itself into a whirlwind of limbs and faces as a doodle army sprung from its liquid heart.

the hero slaughtered the doodles with vicious glee.

could the quiet, melancholic jack deebs we once knew have been capable of such savagery?

is this how he murdered his wife's lover?

the killing escalated into a sickening crescendo of violence. one by one the doodles were squashed, stretched, slammed, slapped and punched into oblivion.

the hero cackled like a psychopath as he crushed a doodle in midair and admired its dark blood on his hands.

another doodle shot a large pink ball into the hero's mouth.

he brutally retaliated.

grinning maniacally, the hero pulverised the doodle corpses into an oily smear and rubbed his face in their blood.

at that moment of dreadful carnage, holli would reappeared.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I wish the rest of the movie was more psycho poo poo like this. I hate jack's hero design though, I wish it resembled the actor more. I feel like Jack is dead, hes been replaced wholesale with this being, his true self has ceased to be, and its disturbing to think about

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This loving owns, whole movie should have been this

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Bismuth posted:

I wish the rest of the movie was more psycho poo poo like this. I hate jack's hero design though, I wish it resembled the actor more. I feel like Jack is dead, hes been replaced wholesale with this being, his true self has ceased to be, and its disturbing to think about

I’m glad Jack is dead, he was a drip. Also a murderer. I also am strangely happy to see that Nails is ok.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 25, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bismuth posted:

Where did the cartoon "wolves are horny" thing come from, it seems to be extremely important to the plot of this film
Little Red Riding Hood.

The story is both a warning that the deep woods of Europe are treacherous and deceptive as it is a coded warning to girls that men are animalistic predators.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’m glad Jack is dead, he was a drip. Also a murderer.

Im not a jack stan by any means, i just think the idea of someone's entire identity being overwritten with a completely different person/thing is creepy

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Bismuth posted:

Im not a jack stan by any means, i just think the idea of someone's entire identity being overwritten with a completely different person/thing is creepy

The important thing is Nails is alright.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

As far as the movie is concerned, he had a history but no identity anyways. He was less than a flat character.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Tarkus posted:

As far as the movie is concerned, he had a history but no identity anyways. He was less than a flat character.

I dont have either and I still dont want to be Erased

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bismuth posted:

wait didn't he transform himself

this is what he always wanted to be, heroic trappings on a complete murderlord

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Sounds like pretty much every character I've ever played in a video game

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
For some reason the thing about this movie that irks me the hardest is Gabriel's refusal to do anything with his character. Overacting i can take and even enjoy, but phoning it in acting is a complete waste of everyone's time.

Imagine if he played Jack as dangrously psychotic, or even as a stuttering 90's nerd stereotype. I don't know, just SOMETHING other than bored and annoyed 24/7.

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.
Nails is the best character in the entire thread. I'm glad he's safe :)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
And here I thought "blank slate lead with mouth agape" started with Twilight. I have learned much.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The "hero" could be seen as a critique of the comic capes, a brightly coloured, impossibly physiqued, square jawed, functionally immortal, idiot psychopath. But, the rest of the film would not support that. Jack has not been set up as a hardened critic of the state of the art form, he has expressed no overwhelming opinion on comics other than his own. If anything, when turning into the hero - going from what little we know about his work - he should have turned into a heroic sexy lady and finished the film with a rotoscoped catfight.

He probably should have been the hero as himself, fighting off the toons by erasing and redrawing them on the fly, interacting with them as their creator and controller. He could even have done the conductor thing, pulled a full fantasia and imposed his will upon them with a flourish of the pen-as-wand. But I guess that would have required a lot more storyboarding, budget for effects & choreography, the lead giving a poo poo etc.

Or they could have leant into the established dark side of the character. Turn him into a semi-realistic cartoon version of himself to murder all these things while monologuing about how they have betrayed him, just like everyone always does. Have doc baby cackle as the "hero" goes to work, becoming the one who destroys the doodles and may finally bring him the death he has been dreaming of for several decades.

If they cut Brad Pitt entirely, dumped that entire storyline in the bin and focused on the relationship between a creator and their creation when it has grown out of their control, there is a more coherent story there.

If they ignored the source and the sperm entirely, cut Gabe out and just had the story of a Brad Pitt sucked into a cartoon world, maybe that would have worked too. The story of him becoming the gently caress-police and having to stop a sexy lady toon who has ruptured the realities by summoning & boning some nerd who promptly explodes out of the film so we never have to deal with him.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I like the "They're trying to stop me" added in completely separate to the animation, as if someone didn't trust that the animation would get that across but when the animation was omplete no one took it out either

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
There's an extremely good graphic novel called Kingdom of the Wicked that has some similar concepts, where a fantasy writer's childhood inner world has been going this whole time unsupervised and now as an adult it's in a horrifying state of war and decay.

poo poo, now i want to reread Kingdom of the Wicked.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Mr.Chill posted:

There's an extremely good graphic novel called Kingdom of the Wicked that has some similar concepts, where a fantasy writer's childhood inner world has been going this whole time unsupervised and now as an adult it's in a horrifying state of war and decay.

poo poo, now i want to reread Kingdom of the Wicked.

This was so goddamn good- I still wince at (trigger warning for animal cruelty) the part about sticking needles in a horse's eyes. I keep meaning to do studies of the art, too.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I still wince at (trigger warning for animal cruelty) the part about sticking needles in a horse's eyes.

Probably an Equus reference.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Bula Vinaka posted:

Probably an Equus reference.

Oh hey, I never thought of that connection. Both KotW and Equus are British so that makes a lot of sense.

To get back on track I want to point out that the absurd amount of joyful violence that Super Jack gets into is arguably the most unsettling thing yet.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

punishedkissinger posted:

was there even a reason for brad pitt's character to be in the movie at all

He stopped himself from having sex

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Not that I want to defend lazy storytelling but I think Super Jack saying the obvious kinda reminds me of how superheroes on old comic covers would describe with dialogue exactly what is being depicted visually. Anything this movie gets right is entirely accidental though.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Old comics were a trip.

Afterglow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duddits
Dec 22, 2009

PeterCat posted:

Old comics were a trip.

Pence spent countless nights reading this comic under the blanket with a flashlight, shedding tears and wishing as hard as he could.