Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

barbecue at the folks posted:

I wonder: when Brad Pitt writes his memoirs, will he divulge what went through his head when he was on the set of Cool World?

"I turned into a cartoon so I could get laid."
- Brad Pitt's memoirs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Prof. Crocodile posted:

our antagonist's motivations are as unclear as our protagonist's character arc and the rules of the world they inhabit. really the only well-defined part of this film was brad pitt's role as the horny police, which in retrospect was the most compelling part of the story and was completely squandered.

It’s pretty straightforward:

Brad Pitt accidentally created the Cool World when he killed his mother in a psychosexual traffic accident. Despite the name, the Cool World is an extremely uncool world of adolescent fantasy bullshit that Pitt escapes into to avoid the reality of his mother’s death.

Pitt lives in the Cool World for decades, in an emotionally-charged - but fully chaste - relationship with a cartoon-lady version of his mom. He’s desperate to prevent any consummation because of, y’know, the Oedipal nightmare of it all.

In the meantime, Jack the cartoonist has gained the ability to ‘channel’ the logic of the Cool Wod to further his career in lovely alt-comix. It turns out that Brad Pitt’s dysfunction generates the exact kind of “50s culture but, like, hosed up” irony that 1992’s art-kids crave.

After having suffered his own offscreen psychotic break, Jack ‘went too far’ and used his Cool World powers to create a fantasy replacement for his unfaithful wife. This is Holly Wood, whose sole defining character trait is her perpetual horniness for ‘real men’. Since only two ‘real men’ have ever existed in Cool World, and one’s a celibate weirdo, Jack ends up as Holly’s boyfriend by default. She’s effectively a robot programmed to gently caress him.

The events of the film happen, so Holly is given consciousness/mortality and transported into the real world. There she discovers that, not only is there nothing unique about Jack, but that her cartoon bullshit is deeply embarrassing.

So, long story short, Holly despises the real world and is inadvertently programmed to fully realize humanity’s innermost fantasies. This conflict leads her to become a despotic supervillain determined to obliterate humanity in the aforementioned orgiastic nightmare of madness.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 31, 2021

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I wonder: when Brad Pitt writes his memoirs, will he divulge what went through his head when he was on the set of Cool World?

Probably just a tone-deaf hand-waving of finton whiskers’ racist and homophobic social media posts.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"I'm looking forward to depositing the check." --Bradston Pitt

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Brad pitt avoids oedipal panties

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Dang, it sucks that I'm alone on stage and have nobody to act against, but I'm sure the graphics they are going to add in post-production will look great!"

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

coronatae posted:

I'm really hoping you can do Hey Good Lookin' next.

Seconding this.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

steinrokkan posted:

"Dang, it sucks that I'm alone on stage and have nobody to act against, but I'm sure the graphics they are going to add in post-production will look great!"

"They showed me some of the background art and even that looked incredible! This movie will be a triumph"

Melvitty
Oct 13, 2005

All the ponies in this town
are
CRAZY!

Mr.Chill posted:

Seconding this.

Thirding. That would be amazing.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I wonder: when Brad Pitt writesdictates his memoirs, will he divulge what went through his head when he was on the set of Cool World?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tree Bucket posted:

"They showed me some of the background art and even that looked incredible! This movie will be a triumph"

I find solace that this is like, the one movie where my profession gets any due credit.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Das Boo posted:

I find solace that this is like, the one movie where my profession gets any due credit.

You are a policeman that monitors human/cartoon sexual intercourse?

Thank you for your service.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BrigadierSensible posted:

Getaway driver for noid / toon hybrids engaged in psychosexual hijinks

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I am ace as gently caress and would be a horny police star, it's true.

steinrokkan posted:

Getaway driver for noid / toon hybrids engaged in psychosexual hijinks

I have learned to lay plastic down in the backseat. I have learned well. :(

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

jennifer stood alone for a few seconds in silent contemplation.

"...wow," she said finally, and walked away.

nothing much had changed at the slash club. bosoms bounced, crotches bulged, tongues lolled, uncomfortable ethnic caricatures fired pistols into the ceiling. the perpetually partying doodles didn't seem to have noticed that anything had happened at all.

lonette wandered through the revelry as the saxophones grieved.

she paused outside the slash club and gazed into the night, her thoughts far away.

brad pitt's car was still parked on the curb. lonette stroked its sleek black hood as she passed by.

as she stepped into the glow of the streetlights, something caught her attention.

having had no training in the respectful handling of dead noids, nails had made the extraordinary decision to drape brad pitt's corpse across the sidewalk like a sleeping bum.

lonette gasped and fell to her knees beside the body. "oh, nails!" she cried. "he didn't make it, i'm sorry," nails informed her.

lonette beseeched the dead man not to leave her alone in this hellhole; but her pleas were in vain.

"who killed him, nails?!" lonette demanded. "he was pushed off a building!" sobbed nails.

"who pushed him?" "holli would!"

"holli would!" screamed lonette. "that bitch!"

lonette wept with the bitterness of a broken heart. the saxophones wailed their sympathies.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

but then!

"nails!" lonette gasped. "was she a doodle when she iced him?"

"yes, so what?!" squawked nails.

"what happens to noids who traffic in the cool world, nails?" lonette asked, in a tone that implied this was common knowledge. "when they get killed by a doodle, they become a doodle themselves!"

as she revealed this incredible fact, the dead body of brad pitt began to change.

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 1, 2021

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.
Jennifer just wonders off and Nails leaves his best friends corpse on Lonette's porch, like you do.

Cool World is cool like that.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Lonette knows that in Cool World you can just make poo poo up and it's suddenly an in-world fact.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mr.Chill posted:

Lonette knows that in Cool World you can just make poo poo up and it's suddenly an in-world fact.

The calvinball of fantasy worlds

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

and then they hosed

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So, all he needed to do to be allowed to bang his missus was have someone "kill" him so he would respawn?

He obviously preferred being the celibate horny police. Now he has no excuse.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Lonette is too good for Brad Pitt. She should have gone off with Nails years ago.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Das Boo posted:

In your professional opinion-
On a scale of peeved to desolate, how would the background artists have felt after sinking hours into working on the disaster that is Cool World?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I think the best part about this reveal is how carefully it was foreshadowed throughout the movie.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
As toons don't die (note how easily Nails recovered from the extremely dangerous pen injury) this rule seems like it would be hell on population control.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
But Holli didnt kill him, hitting the pavement killed him, and it wasnt even cool world pavement

He should have just let Lonette kill his rear end years ago

Bye forever jennifer you were 100% pointless

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Bismuth posted:

He should have just let Lonette kill his rear end years ago

The truest of trust exercises.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Angry Salami posted:

I think the best part about this reveal is how carefully it was foreshadowed throughout the movie.

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.
Nails should get an Oscar for this movie. He knocks every scene right out of the park.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

rrrrrrrgh I knew this was coming because it's so hackneyed and I hate it so much

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why didn't he turn into something cool like the see through rear end in a top hat gorilla

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

quote:

having had no training in the respectful handling of dead noids, nails had made the extraordinary decision to drape brad pitt's corpse across the sidewalk like a sleeping bum.

I love this sentence. This scientific analysis of the films bullshit has been a treat, please do more!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Hey let's draw the most beautiful man of the decade as a diagnostic chart for fetal alcohol syndrome

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tree Bucket posted:

In your professional opinion-
On a scale of peeved to desolate, how would the background artists have felt after sinking hours into working on the disaster that is Cool World?

In terms of portfolio and industry connections, you'd have no trouble. The work still speaks for itself and you're considered solely for the strength of your own work, not the strength of the production. I also imagine since BGs are early production (and based on how phenomenal they turned out), the BG artists were working with a lot of hope through the majority of the project. Though you can kinda see the quality fall apart during that climax. That, along with the ADR'd in voices make me think that was the last scene produced and deeeeep into studio meddling. The art departments were likely aware that the floor was falling out from under them at that point.

In terms of the general public, they're probably loving livid. Joe Shmoe ain't looking at the quality of the BGs. He just recognizes that you worked on a poo poo movie and thus, your work is poo poo.

I worked on the goddamn Wonder Park TV show that will never see the light of day because they hosed the movie so hard. A year and a half of my life is gone, but I got some portfolio pieces and a good paycheck from it. Still a little annoying to think about, but you kinda go from the mindset of "I'm giving this my all!" to "Oh, this is just a job." Incidentally, my later work on that WP show got loooooaaaded with Communist propaganda once I realized no one gave a poo poo. You make your own fun.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Hey let's draw the most beautiful man of the decade as a diagnostic chart for fetal alcohol syndrome

THIS. loving. KILLS ME.

THIS.
THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE BRAD PITT.
PRIMO BRAD PITT.
LOOK AT IT.
LOOOOOK.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Uhhh so this is the doodle you... Brad, I think it's time that we start seeing other people

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
brad pitt's doodle form is David Byrne

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

OMFG FURRY posted:

brad pitt's doodle form is David Byrne

as the cocaine is wearing off

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The COOL WORLD

BEHOLD IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So all I have to do is get a cartoon to kill me?