Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
That stupid noise was actually the goofy ball from NewsRadio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzCIbhLUUA0&t=30s

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Roger Moore years were a dark time for the Bond franchise... but Roger Moore himself was not at fault for any of it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly from the name of the episode I thought the entire situation was the 31st-century Kobayashi Maru. I legit thought when Burnham gets hit with the meteor, it was implying she died instantly and she was going to wake up back at Starfleet on their holodeck or whatever

MikeJF posted:

They should've done a thing in the opening credits where the line-drawing blueprint of Discovery is Discovery Classic, and then as it fills in it's Discovery Neo.

The thing is, it can never happen because as soon as it does, Discovery goes from being 'unique ship that can respond to things in a way nothing else can' to 'lovely 800 year out of date design that even with some slapped on refits is trash next to any other ship in the fleet and would be the last in line to be sent to respond to this season's plot'.

That said they may just ignore that logic and pretend Discovery is the equal of any properly designed 32nd century ship even after they all have Spore Drive.

I just rewatched that scene and I think the implication is that their Voyager will be testing that "Pathway Drive prototype" she mentions, not the new Spore Drive they're developing, and it seems like that's more a Warp Drive alternative than a "get anywhere instantaneously" method like the Spore Drive. I think it would be a nice follow-up to "ok we have Dilithium again but maybe we need to keep looking at alternatives y'know just in case"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the same thing about the episode title

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
While I enjoyed the episode mostly, it still feels like Disco took the grimdark accusations of the first season a little too much to heart, and swung to the other extreme. It very consciously takes time to show people smiling and extolling positive virtues, and it all comes off a bit like a corporate training video. Or a motivational poster come to life. It also keeps giving me weird Captain Planet vibes for some reason.

It’s only gotten more pronounced since season two.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am very chipper and friendly and get along great with my coworkers *grins*

Simultaneously with

I just got made captain, better pick a fight with the president of the goddamn Federation, repeatedly

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

HD DAD posted:

While I enjoyed the episode mostly, it still feels like Disco took the grimdark accusations of the first season a little too much to heart, and swung to the other extreme. It very consciously takes time to show people smiling and extolling positive virtues, and it all comes off a bit like a corporate training video. Or a motivational poster come to life. It also keeps giving me weird Captain Planet vibes for some reason.

That's another very good way of putting it, agree completely

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Did you hear? The Federation is on Fortune's top 100 best companies to work for for the 100th year running"

"I truly feel gifted to be a part of this"

"Me too friend, well off to get a free seltzer from the lounge"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

The Roger Moore years were a dark time for the Bond franchise... but Roger Moore himself was not at fault for any of it.

Roger Moore was a consummate gentleman. When prepping for A View to a Kill, he realized that not only was he substantially older than Tanya Roberts--by 27 years--but he was older than her mother, he was absolutely horrified, and begged Broccoli and Wilson to be let out of his contract so they could cast a Bond who would be more age-appropriate against Roberts. They refused, of course.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Powered Descent posted:

The Roger Moore years gave us The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only, two very different but top-tier Bond movies, so hardly a dark time. :colbert: And even Octopussy was no worse than Die Another Day or Quantum of Solace.

But yes, Moore was the epitome of unflappable English charm all the way through. Even when he was sharing the screen with John frickin' Steed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also Moonraker, which is far and away the most entertaining of the lovely Bond movies.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

HD DAD posted:

It comes off to me like they're trying to incorporate feedback about the show not being optimistic enough, but nobody involved in the show actually has any real humanistic point of view to express.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I just rewatched that scene and I think the implication is that their Voyager will be testing that "Pathway Drive prototype" she mentions, not the new Spore Drive they're developing, and it seems like that's more a Warp Drive alternative than a "get anywhere instantaneously" method like the Spore Drive. I think it would be a nice follow-up to "ok we have Dilithium again but maybe we need to keep looking at alternatives y'know just in case"

so what are the odds on "pathway drive is causing these anomalies, discovery are the only people to notice" versus "Michael ASSUMES that the pathway drive is causing these anomalies and she's only proven wrong last minute as something completely out of left field comes up because they're terrified of anyone in the audience figuring out how the plot goes"

it would be fantastic if the pathway drive was just, like, a thing that didn't tie in but we all know it will constantly

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Four current Star Trek shows

Three current experimental Faster-than-warp drive systems as main plot elements

Granted, two of those are on discovery (really three if their next gen spore drive makes the mushrooms angry again)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The real reason LDS is staying away from the Picard years is to avoid Fat Riker.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The way Anthony Rapp always has his neck extended and his chin up is Always Sunny when Mac has his neck high to be more trustworthy.

It looks so awkward. Chin up slight “proud” smile.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Make Saru captain of the Voyager-J and have the drive drop them off in the Andromeda Galaxy. Oops, it was a one way trip.

I want a spiritual successor to Voyager, but done right.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CaptainSkinny posted:

Make Saru captain of the Voyager-J and have the drive drop them off in the Andromeda Galaxy. Oops, it was a one way trip.

I think modern Trek has ripped off enough plots from Mass Effect tyvm

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

egg tats posted:

so what are the odds on "pathway drive is causing these anomalies, discovery are the only people to notice" versus "Michael ASSUMES that the pathway drive is causing these anomalies and she's only proven wrong last minute as something completely out of left field comes up because they're terrified of anyone in the audience figuring out how the plot goes"

it would be fantastic if the pathway drive was just, like, a thing that didn't tie in but we all know it will constantly

I think the odds are pretty low, tbh. Disco writers aren't great but having "the thing that makes us go also makes us blow up" be the main plot device for 2 seasons in a row is too much even for them.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CaptainSkinny posted:

7 season of the vast nothing between galaxies would still be better than OG Voyager

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think what makes "Galactic Threat #253“ more frustrating than usual is the big emphatic speech about "hey remember when the point of Starfleet was scientific exploration? Good times" right beforehand.

Also anybody else think the station commander was an evolved Pakled?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I dug the new episode but I do still wish Disco could slow down a bit more and not have every season be super large stakes. I've liked the show the whole way through, but as we get further along it gets more and more silly. If these were long seasons with more room for bottle episodes it would probably be fine and more DS9-like, but the lack of that just leaves so little room for characterization.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think what makes "Galactic Threat #253“ more frustrating than usual is the big emphatic speech about "hey remember when the point of Starfleet was scientific exploration? Good times" right beforehand.

Yeah, they told me what I wanted to hear before not following through on it.

Khanstant posted:

I don't think anyone who jumped on season 3 or 4 would really get any sense that Burnham was ever raised in Vulcan society.

I'm pretty sure Burnham had a "this is only logical" moment when responding to the president this episode, so it is still there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

King Burgundy posted:

I'm pretty sure Burnham had a "this is only logical" moment when responding to the president this episode, so it is still there.

I mean she did say that but any nerd might say that, it wasn't very Vulcan. Not that I'm saying it should be but at this point it's just the barest of acknowledgements to the premise, just like them being from the TOS era.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

I just got made captain, better pick a fight with the president of the goddamn Federation, repeatedly

Isn't it pretty standard in Star Trek by now that whenever some sort of Federation official comes on board and starts telling the captain what to do, the captain gets pissed off? You saw it in TOS, you saw it in TNG, I think you saw it in DS9, in Enterprise. It just was avoided in Voyager by them being on the other side of the Galaxy. I don't think it's fair to single out Discovery for this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah anyone in the civilian government/rank above captain is evil or at least an antagonist goes back to TOS. Disco isn't doing anything new there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The new part is being a relic from the past with mutiny on their record and no actual captaining experience being in control of not just one ship in a very small fleet, but arguably the most important one. Having just gotten that promotion with all that baggage.

I'm not saying it doesn't fit Michael's character, just that it's not the best move.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
just remembered there was some scene where adira was talking to their imaginary friend or whatever, and I kind of forgot what that whole deal was. They mentioned getting reincorporated, so like, is this other person just parked in Adira or is it parked in the symbiote, where they getting this reincorporate thing from?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

just remembered there was some scene where adira was talking to their imaginary friend or whatever, and I kind of forgot what that whole deal was. They mentioned getting reincorporated, so like, is this other person just parked in Adira or is it parked in the symbiote, where they getting this reincorporate thing from?

Yeah that got mentioned and I was surprised. Maybe I forgot a throwaway line from last season? I thought they were just a previous host memory.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Khanstant posted:

When they were in the dilithium baby's mind-reading holodeck, it detected Gray's presence and projected a body for him, so everyone could see that he wasn't just a figment of Adira's imagination. I think it was Culber who said he'd try to figure up some way to get Gray out of Adira's head and back into the real world. How that's going to work is anyone's guess -- hologram, robit, clone, mushroom magic, who knows.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Khanstant posted:

He's Adira's dead boyfriend and the last host of their symbiote. Remember that Adira's human which is why she and Burnham had to go to Trill and swim in the sacred worm pool.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Thom12255 posted:

Also, tribble crewmate?

That was a Horta, one of those hairy magma rock things that Spock mindmelded with (I am not sure how much this narrows it down).

It was much smaller than the TOS one we saw so I assume it's young

pik_d fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 19, 2021

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Epicurius posted:

Isn't it pretty standard in Star Trek by now that whenever some sort of Federation official comes on board and starts telling the captain what to do, the captain gets pissed off? You saw it in TOS, you saw it in TNG, I think you saw it in DS9, in Enterprise. It just was avoided in Voyager by them being on the other side of the Galaxy. I don't think it's fair to single out Discovery for this.

The Earth president in DS9 was a nice guy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

When they were in the dilithium baby's mind-reading holodeck, it detected Gray's presence and projected a body for him, so everyone could see that he wasn't just a figment of Adira's imagination. I think it was Culber who said he'd try to figure up some way to get Gray out of Adira's head and back into the real world. How that's going to work is anyone's guess -- hologram, robit, clone, mushroom magic, who knows.

Wild. So... is this dude, like, in the trill symbiote's brain or Adira's brain... or some other way for a diff mind to be physiologically inside someone? Could they likewise give all the other past hosts physical form then, guess that'll depend on what means they discover... The implications of such a thing are pretty interesting. I wonder if they have a real plan for all this or if theyre just sorting it out as they go.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 19, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I assume it's like the thing Ezri did to project a previous host but Adira can't control it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I need to finish DS9, I've seen Ezri briefly but never sequentially in one go. This most recent attempt I was just annoyed Jadzia was gone and switched shows for a but I'm so close, maybe it's time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

pik_d posted:

That was a Horta, one of those hairy magma rock things that Spock mindmelded with (I am not sure how much this narrows it down).

They live for 10(s?) Thousand years. Even if it was one of the mother Horta's babies from the TOS episode it'd probably be a young adult.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wait, the Voyager-P or whatever wasn't just an Easter egg but likely to be part of the show?

C'mon, writers, have it meet the backup EMH coming back from the Delta Quadrant. I dare ya!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

re: Horta crew, oh neat - I do hope they fill out the random crew more this year; a bit spoiled by lower decks where they can just draw in memorable extras wherever needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

pik_d posted:

Has anywhere official said it was a Horta?
Horta young (according to Memory Beta are worms) and all pics and references to Horta are the rock like forms they have had since the TOS episode.

I think its a Tribble, or part one as it has nodules or whatever here now, as it has the same purr effect used in the TOS episode.
gently caress, I think they even used the same sound effect (sped up a bit), from when Kirk holds it upto Spock here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbulHWimsmY&t=51s