Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Takes No Damage posted:

Unless DC hands their entire EU over to Gunn I don't think the 20+ movie MCU franchise has too much to worry about just yet. So far he's the only one who's been able to make their grimdark R rating shtick work.

It feel less that and more akin to YEC who think if they find a living dinosaur or the earth is flat, that means science is fake and god is real, but instead, marvel is bad and DC is better. And yea, this might be full of tits, rear end, swears and violence, but this is not anything like the super serious grim brooding angry Synder movies.

BTW someone once said John Cena looks like buff Ernest and I can never unsee that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

His DC film and show are decidedly not grimdarkkk.

Mostly compared to Marvel. Gunn is showing himself to be pretty much R rated MCU, which turns out is pretty awesome. He's Curb Your Enthusiasm :: Seinfeld. Though fair enough, having him direct the next 20 DC movies would get pretty samey after a while.

Rhyno posted:

If you want rear end in a top hat Captain America you need to watch The Guest

twistedmentat posted:

BTW someone once said John Cena looks like buff Ernest and I can never unsee that.

:eyepop:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Crisco Kid posted:

This is exactly right and extremely underrated, except that character isn't an rear end in a top hat, which makes him even more magnetic and terrifying. He has the same politness and earnest helpfulness as Vigilante, and the same ice water instead of blood.. And the synth-Goth/new wave soundtrack is to die for: 10 out of 10. It's just a hell of a good time.

The Guest was really awesome and another break-out role for Maika Monroe

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

There's buff, and there's John Cena buff.

I once suggested that Gunn do MCU Deadpool and I was greeted with "oh god no!" responses.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

It’s tangential but I’m really curious about how Moon Knight will be adapted next month - Peacemaker is the new high water mark for superhero shows alongside Legion (which I think a lot of people kind of slept on because it’s niche and psychedelic and was on FX / Hulu) and Doom Patrol.

I read a bit of Moon Knight’s run under Warren Ellis 5 or 6 years ago and I think it’ll fit into that same category of “weird” as Legion if they pull it off well…

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
robble robble

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

They've genuinely still got me guessing with these fuckin' butterfly aliens, I'm still not sure who's in the right (if anyone even is).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Everybody is dubious as hell and I kind of love it this way.

I really love Soph's actress really getting to show her chops this episode.

Also Locke (Murne's "friend") looks really familiar but I can't place where I've seen him before.

Edit kind of hate that both of the cops got butterflied. Feels like a lost opportunity for some drama.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 3, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus I know it's been said before but this show is so loving good. Also Locke, Jesus Christ :stare:

Also yes, Eagley IS hardcore :patriot:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Mokinokaro posted:

Also Locke (Murne's "friend") looks really familiar but I can't place where I've seen him before.

I recognised him as the crazy priest guy from hell on wheels and one of the teachers in deadly class, but apparently he's done some voice work too in far cry 5 and one of the recent wolfensteins

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Mokinokaro posted:

Probably best known as the Swede from Hell On Wheels, he also played Todd on Stargate Atlantis

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

And John Druitt from Sanctuary, was pretty decent for budget sci-fi.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mokinokaro posted:

Christopher Heyerdahl. Longtime character actor.

Dude was in Stargate: Atlantis, True Blood, several Twilight films, Hell on Wheels, Supernatural and Star Trek: Discovery, amongst a lot of other stuff.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think I recognize him from Stargate.

Man is so good at being intimidating and creepy. I bet he's actually really nice since that seems to be how these things go.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Ok, so don’t watch tonight’s episode if you happen to super baked for the first time in two years. John Cena has a scary loving face.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Ok, so don’t watch tonight’s episode if you happen to super baked for the first time in two years. John Cena has a scary loving face.

ahaha yeah this could be a rough one, the butterflies are hardcore! loved that ending montage with White Dragon and the smiling. So sinister

"lets go back to gotham"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CODChimera posted:

"lets go back to gotham"

I loving lost it at that line given the context of their conversation up to that point, haha.

Also that scene in the classroom the proud papa was the untrustworthy janitor, right? :neckbeard:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm really really hoping they wrap all these threads up by the end of season 1 and have a really bad feeling they won't. I am thoroughly enjoying the ride though.

Also, what the heck was the piano scene for?

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus I know it's been said before but this show is so loving good. Also Locke, Jesus Christ :stare:

Also yes, Eagley IS hardcore :patriot:
He's SO unsettling, I'm kinda disappointed they didn't do more with him as a human.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm interested how those two factions who both want to kill Peacemaker will interact. Especially considering how there are some who are in the intersection, but I'd imagine those changed their minds on that subject.
I also wonder if former Goth has actual grievance with him and if that peace sign was just a ploy to get out, or if they could have become sort of friendly.
Sophie Song's actress is really good and I am glad that she gets more involved now.

Was that actually Cena in the piano? That was a nice scene and he had impressively sad facial expressions, but I kept wondering.they haven't shown a lot shots of his fingers there.

Also, "I know my own birthday!"

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 3, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:toot: Harcourt mentioning Murn tanking the bomb blast to his face.

lol the show and tell.

Gonna be a helluva bodycount in the last 2 episodes with all the white supremacists and butterflies

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm interested how those two factions who both want to kill Peacemaker will interact. Especially considering how there are some who are in the intersection, but I'd imagine those changed their minds on that subject.

3 way shootout bloodbath at the barn is my hope

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Serious questions about the butterflies: is the blood caused by it, like...digging its way to the brain? Which it then has to heal with the healing powers Stupenhausen seemingly had cracking her bones back together.

Once butterflied, can you be unbutterflied? Or does the big butterfly shaped hole in your brain mean you're gone for good. (I'm assuming this because it's another paralel with the Starro babies...)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I would assume you can't be unbutterflied, based solely on the way Murn talked about it.

Is Judomaster dead? Is the tiny spaceship ever going to come up?
Maybe you can be unbutterflied and Murn will fly off in search of a new home at the end of the season! Judomaster will wave goodbye to him and join the team for season 2 :v:

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

VagueRant posted:

He's SO unsettling,

His acting has pretty much been like this in most of the shows he's been on; his monologue on Hell On Wheels was one of the biggest highlights of the early first season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUlzgxWSH-o

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I wonder what Judomaster's deal is here. He claimed the butterflies weren't what they seemed, but the butterflies he was working for looks to be exactly what they seemed. Why is he working for them, when he is aware of their true nature?

Also, I predict that they will make the nazis fight the butterflies by pointing out that the latter are illegal aliens (and forming a Deep State to boot!).

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

Serious questions about the butterflies: is the blood caused by it, like...digging its way to the brain? Which it then has to heal with the healing powers Stupenhausen seemingly had cracking her bones back together.

Once butterflied, can you be unbutterflied? Or does the big butterfly shaped hole in your brain mean you're gone for good. (I'm assuming this because it's another paralel with the Starro babies...)

Well the butterfly driving The Artist Formerly Known as Murn was talking about Murn in past tense.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The ep7 preview answers the question about Judomaster showing up again

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I am extremely gutted about *** Soph ***, I really liked them.

Eagly going ham on cops was pure joy, would watch again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SimonChris posted:

I wonder what Judomaster's deal is here. He claimed the butterflies weren't what they seemed, but the butterflies he was working for looks to be exactly what they seemed. Why is he working for them, when he is aware of their true nature?

It's possible he doesn't know about the switch in goals.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Peacemaker says ACAB.

All cops are butterflies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think John Cena is going to have a strong acting career after this.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

cant cook creole bream posted:

Was that actually Cena in the piano? That was a nice scene and he had impressively sad facial expressions, but I kept wondering.they haven't shown a lot shots of his fingers there.

Yup. He can legit play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvTidBjh-KE&t=117s

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Starting to think John Cena might just be the best human.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Except maybe the Taiwan denial but that was so obviously a business move.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It’s cool Robert Patrick is getting a chance to play a cape in a cape show. I bet he had a lot of fun in it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Except maybe the Taiwan denial but that was so obviously a business move.

Yeah that was hosed but you also don't expect a beefcake wrestler like him to speak fluent Mandarin, be really good at playing the piano, and have his acting chops. Dude is awesome and he's definitely got a Rock-like career ahead of him.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It seems unlikely, but I wonder if the * klansmen * will end up being resistant to immediate butterflying because their mouths are covered.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Fartington Butts posted:

It seems unlikely, but I wonder if the * klansmen * will end up being resistant to immediate butterflying because their mouths are covered.

Checkhov's butthole

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

D-Pad posted:

Yeah that was hosed but you also don't expect a beefcake wrestler like him to speak fluent Mandarin, be really good at playing the piano, and have his acting chops. Dude is awesome and he's definitely got a Rock-like career ahead of him.

I think it's been really interesting watching the way his and the Rock's careers have diverged post-wrasslin.

The Rock is so loving protective of his personal brand it's actually kind a hindrance to his career (and seemingly his life), whereas John Cena seems to give zero shits about doing things that would make look like a fool or an rear end in a top hat. He takes huge loving swings.

It's like the (largely mythical) thing about the Rock and Vin Diesel having riders in their F&F contracts saying that they couldn't get their asses kicked, and then you compare that to John Cena getting thrown through a wall in his tighty whities and then weeping openly.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 3, 2022

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

That was an episode alright.

At first I thought Locke was another butterfly on Murn's side, what with the complete lack of social niceties and then the loving hamburglar thing.

But can you get butterflied again if there's one in there already? Probably not.

Pretty sure those mouthless klan masks are absolutely there for the meta-reason of preventing that particular army wiping immediately in the coming battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Umbra Dubium posted:

At first I thought Locke was another butterfly on Murn's side, what with the complete lack of social niceties and then the loving hamburglar thing.

locke is obviously some wetwork hardass motherfucker who is either retired and living quietly as a sheriff (unlikely) or dropped in that position to keep an eye on things for someone (waller?)
the complete lack of societal niceties is because he's a psycho and the hamburglar thing is him being an rear end in a top hat to the detective because he knows she's suspicious of him and he doesn't give a gently caress anymore if she knows that he knows that she knows (lol)