Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

aleksendr posted:

There are many valid suspicion than SC twitch presence is Astroturfed. Its probable a high % of SC twitch streamers receive subsidies in one form or another from GIC PR an internet reputation management firm, thus ensuring a twitch presence no matter how unsuited the game is for audiences.

As for who would do it ? Well, pennies on the dollar is better than no penies at all, If your not a girl in a low cut top you have to start somewhere if you hope to be a famous twitch host someday. PR agency can always find a few hopefull spergs willing to work for a few free ships or maybe the possibility of a CIG studio tour.

CIG isn't paying the streamers, the backers are by buying up the grey market ships that CIG gives to the backers as totally legit gifts. Gifts that they pull out of their rear end at literally no cost to themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

runsamok posted:

Seriously, Skywanderers is already a better Star Citizen than Star Citizen & it's the product of a single Frenchman working for a single year, not 400 resume-padders masturbating in Maya & Cryengine around the clock & across the world.

Speaking of! New trailer today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GgZfTCF-k4

KS for the game is going well, he's almost to final-tier with two weeks to go. Very happy that it looks like he's going to see some success off of all his work in the last year.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Stop buying unfinished games.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qih-_TROAkk

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

runsamok posted:

Seriously, Skywanderers is already a better Star Citizen than Star Citizen & it's the product of a single Frenchman working for a single year, not 400 resume-padders masturbating in Maya & Cryengine around the clock & across the world.

(I love how the "buy a ship" tiers on the Skywanderers KS are for the backers to make ships for the game-maker, not the other way around.)

I've been keeping an eye on this game, it looks very interesting. Sort of like an Elite/Minecraft/Space Engineers mashup.

The work he's achieved so far looks impressive, but I'm wary of the amount of things that are yet to be done that he's claimed "I'll get to that later". It's possible that's just me misreading his demeanor but I'm going to wait until it's out in the wild and had a few patch cycles before giving it any cash.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

(To the CIG minions reading the thread - every time Chris or Erin or any of your devs open their mouths in one of these videos every single word and utterance is going to appear in this thread, unedited and 100% accurate.)

Star Citizen: Around the Verse Sep 14, 2017
@ 08:23

Erin Roberts:
I wanna get... I wanna go to Evocati... I wanna make sure the first thing we can do is ensure we can traverse the system easily and well, and that's all this set of bugs is about, is we... you know... from getting in, taking off, ATC working, QT-ing working, being able to go to locations, all that kinda stuff, we just get THAT working and so it's not... it's not a nightm... you know I'm not going into maps all the time and trying to work out where I can jump places and so forth... you can do that kind of stuff and we have what I think is a really good start for EVOCATI cos it's a lot of FUN, it's FUN.

You go down to planets you do some EVENTS. And THEN, once we get this set of twenty, you know, SIX bugs left, you know... and don't forget these are the 26 bugs I want fixed to go to EVOCATI with, but I'm SURE we'll fix a bunch of other STUFF, you know, at the same time and stuff like that... and then we basically go and get that in, and then once we get that set of BUGS... you know, those set of, uh, BUGS... then what we're gonna do again is sit... sit down with TARD and then say, 'Right! What's um... what's the next feature we wanna focus on', and then pick another say ten, twenty um... like FEATURES... let's get TRADING maybe working properly and then maybe... ten or fifteen features...

(A dev raises his hand to speak at this point and is ignored)

... and we say right, here's the... here's the seventeen BUGS for that, that's the next release for EVOCATI, let's get all this stuff worked on and then we fix all sorts of stuff in the background, and we just basically PICK a FEATURE at a time, NAIL IT DOWN and just keep on going that way and that's how we're gonna close this out.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

ModernSociety posted:

The work he's achieved so far looks impressive, but I'm wary of the amount of things that are yet to be done that he's claimed "I'll get to that later". It's possible that's just me misreading his demeanor but I'm going to wait until it's out in the wild and had a few patch cycles before giving it any cash.

Totally valid. I gave him a modicum of my sweet refund cash & will have access to the pre-Alpha in like November or something. I'll keep the goons in the loop.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

hot balls man no homo posted:

CIG isn't paying the streamers, the backers are by buying up the grey market ships that CIG gives to the backers as totally legit gifts. Gifts that they pull out of their rear end at literally no cost to themselves.

One way or another the Twitch presence of the game is subsidized, something good game dont have to do (but still do sometime anyway with partnership and events)

Modern media is a fickle mistress. One day your on the top of the game and a single jew joke later your personna non grata on the platform.

ModernSociety posted:

I've been keeping an eye on this game, it looks very interesting. Sort of like an Elite/Minecraft/Space Engineers mashup.

Hopefully the genre will not suffer with the same curse than zombie survival crafting games...

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
BTW careful observers will note that the meeting video was shot on a phone.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

big nipples big life posted:

Stop buying unfinished games.

Is there a kickstarter for this concept?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Can I get any devs to comment on the Erin transcript above, as it appears to me there is no spec for anything Erin is talking about.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

runsamok posted:

Totally valid. I gave him a modicum of my sweet refund cash & will have access to the pre-Alpha in like November or something. I'll keep the goons in the loop.

Yeah his KS levels are pretty reasonable, and the build-a-ship tiers are a fun idea actually.

I hope there are some more details on the actual dev process of the game, in addition to the content updates that he's been doing (reviewing alpha tester's ships is a really good way of generating content with minimal effort). He seems like a smart guy and by the sounds of it there's clever stuff going on under the hood.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

aleksendr posted:

One way or another the Twitch presence of the game is subsidized, something good game dont have to do (but still do sometime anyway with partnership and events)

Modern media is a fickle mistress. One day your on the top of the game and a single jew joke later your personna non grata on the platform.

Hopefully the genre will not suffer with the same curse than zombie survival crafting games...

I think Hearthstone does it pretty well. Many of the tourney commentators are streamers. Many of the pros are streamers. They get invited to do Blizzcon and other events. The devs are in active communication with the pros/streamers and even fly them out to NDA'd conferences to go over new mechanics and balance.

And every expansion they give every popular streamer/youtuber a new card to reveal which is a nice bone to throw.

Whats not happening is Blizzard paying streamers to play that poo poo for 8 hours a day. The streamers don't depend on Blizzard's goodwill and support to exist. That's the key difference.

BloodyScab fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 15, 2017

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

SomethingJones posted:

(To the CIG minions reading the thread - every time Chris or Erin or any of your devs open their mouths in one of these videos every single word and utterance is going to appear in this thread, unedited and 100% accurate.)

Star Citizen: Around the Verse Sep 14, 2017
@ 08:23

Erin Roberts:
I wanna get... I wanna go to Evocati... I wanna make sure the first thing we can do is ensure we can traverse the system easily and well, and that's all this set of bugs is about, is we... you know... from getting in, taking off, ATC working, QT-ing working, being able to go to locations, all that kinda stuff, we just get THAT working and so it's not... it's not a nightm... you know I'm not going into maps all the time and trying to work out where I can jump places and so forth... you can do that kind of stuff and we have what I think is a really good start for EVOCATI cos it's a lot of FUN, it's FUN.

You go down to planets you do some EVENTS. And THEN, once we get this set of twenty, you know, SIX bugs left, you know... and don't forget these are the 26 bugs I want fixed to go to EVOCATI with, but I'm SURE we'll fix a bunch of other STUFF, you know, at the same time and stuff like that... and then we basically go and get that in, and then once we get that set of BUGS... you know, those set of, uh, BUGS... then what we're gonna do again is sit... sit down with TARD and then say, 'Right! What's um... what's the next feature we wanna focus on', and then pick another say ten, twenty um... like FEATURES... let's get TRADING maybe working properly and then maybe... ten or fifteen features...

(A dev raises his hand to speak at this point and is ignored)

... and we say right, here's the... here's the seventeen BUGS for that, that's the next release for EVOCATI, let's get all this stuff worked on and then we fix all sorts of stuff in the background, and we just basically PICK a FEATURE at a time, NAIL IT DOWN and just keep on going that way and that's how we're gonna close this out.
this is fine.jpg

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Is there a kickstarter for this concept?

:psyduck:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
So the bug countdown to each point release is what's being given to the backers, Erin is in there telling his guys to work on these buglists and we're being shown it in a video, the backers will then be watching these buglists as a countdown to the next release - so Erin is removing himself from the equation and putting his devs right up against the backers and that's what this little piece of theatre was about and the change to the point release schedule.

Hey Erin Roberts, go gently caress yourself. And gently caress you devs if you are still stupid enough to be working for that oval office.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
*four years into making a spaceship game*

Okay, for this release we're going to add the part where players can get into their spaceship and fly around.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

SomethingJones posted:

then what we're gonna do again is sit... sit down with TARD

That's not a nice thing to call Chris

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
I was point oh six seconds from putting an apostrophe in front of it but I thought that would be too obvious a gag

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Dark Off posted:

theres several options here all hilarious.

a) the refund is fake
a1) CIG sues the guy for libel since they claimed to know his ID
a2) CIG lied about the ID'ing the refunder

b) the refund is real 45 000 dollars down the drain and CIG lied about the sum. The guy that got refund could show bank transaction nailing CIG for lying.

c) everyone suddenly realizes that they screwed up. CIG for stating lie, and fake refunder for damaging CIG more than helping em.
everyone quietly sweeps the whole issue under the rug. The whole thing was just drat big self own by shitizens.

I think c is the case here.

refund cascade is real and it got started from shitizen trying to proof that star citizen refunds were fake :laugh:
ofc it also gives em option to deny that refunds are happening because they are all fake, but who cares about that.
Its good thing that ppl can get their fake money out of the project without any hassle.

Oh please I hope it is. If it is, they should have sent a poet.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Derek do you want to comment or tweet on this piece of theatre from inside CIG's meeting room, in which Erin Roberts puts his devs right in the firing line of his customers? A video in which he tells them to work on each of these lists of bugs which are now being shown to backers as a countdown to each release?

Is no one else seeing this? Really?

You'd have to be loving retarded to put up with that poo poo as a professional software engineer.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
:rolleyes:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

SomethingJones posted:

Derek do you want to comment or tweet on this piece of theatre from inside CIG's meeting room, in which Erin Roberts puts his devs right in the firing line of his customers? A video in which he tells them to work on each of these lists of bugs which are now being shown to backers as a countdown to each release?

You'd have to be loving retarded to put up with that poo poo as a professional software engineer.

Good thing all the professionals already quit, then

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

SomethingJones posted:

So the bug countdown to each point release is what's being given to the backers, Erin is in there telling his guys to work on these buglists and we're being shown it in a video, the backers will then be watching these buglists as a countdown to the next release - so Erin is removing himself from the equation and putting his devs right up against the backers and that's what this little piece of theatre was about and the change to the point release schedule.

Hey Erin Roberts, go gently caress yourself. And gently caress you devs if you are still stupid enough to be working for that oval office.

Its a well documented fact that Devs work best when subject to frequent meetings and constant public/client interaction.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

He's not wrong.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

big nipples big life posted:

everyone who doesn't suck croberts dick 24/7 is a goon and likely derek smart

everyone who doesn't suck derek smarts dick 24/7 is a goon and likely crobert

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

That's just the premise of the whole Burndown show. We are going to let you live in to see why we aren't giving you the game. There was an awkward moment 2-3 episodes ago? Maybe more? Where it was clear that the editor had no idea what the dev were saying because they would never have put that out in public. It was a dev explaining that they'd done no work on a bug because they were still waiting for things they had been promised and waiting for, for weeks.

The whole thing is hosed and is theatre. I bet whoever was editing was like "Erin sounds leadership-y here" and didn't think to hard about it. The Burndown has been continuously a weird 'give you a feeling but not information' piece of theatre. Like a episodic Road to Citizencon to make people feel bad for the pressure the team is under.

Over and over we get a vague number of bugs but never clarity on what they are, mixed in with interviews of devs who have fixed this or that bug, but the bugs they feature as having been fixed are never MUST FIX level of severity. So you watch the show and feel like you are seeing the inside of things. But they are managing to just convey a feeling of urgency, misery and work. Without ever helping you actually understand what's going on.

I dunno. Maybe the filmmakers have seen too many reality shows and documentaries or they think the backers have. Because in those shows there are always moment of drama when someone loses their cool. But the documentary is about a success! So they think that people losing their cool is part of running a successful project.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

SomethingJones posted:

when you have unstable masses you dont put yourself in the line of fire. You throw other people under the bus CIG brass 101.
Programmers first. Ben Second.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

SomethingJones posted:

Erin Roberts:
ATC working, QT-ing working, being able to go to locations, all that kinda stuff, we just get THAT working and so it's not... it's not a nightm...

ATC = Air traffic control? Have we seen any hint of that yet?

QT isn't working? Being able to go to locations? That stuff? So it's not a nightmare?

Glad to have SomethingJones back.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I refuse to suck anyone if I'm not paid in jpegs or blog posts.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

26 bugs, lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

doingitwrong posted:

I dunno. Maybe the filmmakers have seen too many reality shows and documentaries or they think the backers have. Because in those shows there are always moment of drama when someone loses their cool. But the documentary is about a success! So they think that people losing their cool is part of running a successful project.

They saw The Office and thought it was a documentary

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 15, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
wouldn't surprise me to see them limit the number of ships available in the first series of 3.0 releases

according to that one drinkin dude, there's thousands of hours worth of work refitting all the ships to the new "item 2.0" standard

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

XK posted:

Being able to go to locations?
So, that's why Brian was asking "Can I go now?" at the con.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

I can wait a max of 90 days before I shift the goalposts again.

:golfclap:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/174957809?t=01h49m00s

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Everything about this stream is awful.

That music.
His face.
The viewer count.

Except Star Citizen....That's good.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/174950710?t=02h28m33s

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

(boring reaction, so too lazy to get twitch timestamp)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

SelenicMartian posted:

So, that's why Brian was asking "Can I go now?" at the con.

Chris Roberts: Hey, Brian, how would you like to lead the engine and technology development studio?
Brian Chambers, thinking to himself: Wow, big career advancement. This is an opportunity I can not pass up. It's a deal too good to refuse.

Crobbler ropes another innocent into his nightmare.

Brian Chambers: