Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Four episodes of S2 of Altered Carbon and I’m done because it’s boring beyond my capacity to endure. Anthony Mackie is not in the least dangerous or threatening, every single line is delivered as if it’s meaningful or weighty, but is in fact hollow and ponderous, and no one has any charisma whatsoever. Utterly dreary.

e: that it doesn’t even have its own thread speaks volumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Naked Neighbours lady was only naked in S1: she’s not in S2 long enough for any shenanigans.

S1 wasn’t great, but it had just enough in it to make me think S2 might be ok. The books, while not great works of art, are entertaining: energetic, violent, and edgy as hell, and filled with ideas (too many, maybe) both good and bad. How the hell the creative team picked only the bad boring bits of three novels and expanded them to include details that are irrelevant about characters and situations we care nothing about, boggles the mind.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Google Butt posted:

Then you're gonna hate the new guy

He’s an utter charisma vacuum, too bland to hate. Uh oh, his next gig is Captain America.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Wafflecopper posted:

Didn't realise there was more Strike Back after S5. Binged through 6 and 7 over the last three or four days of lockdown, about to start on 8. This show is dumb as hell and I should hate it but for some reason I love it. I think it's because it doesn't try to be all serious and artsy, it knows it's just a dumb action show with bad guys who can't shoot for poo poo and body counts through the roof and revels in it. Good fun.

If you haven’t watched Banshee yet, you’ll love it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Second the Banshee recommendation. It's an absolutely bonkers show that would seemingly be something I would probably not like if you simply described it to me. But it's wildly entertaining. Me and my bro cruised through it.

My lasting impression is that it’s the most violent show I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a lot of shows.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Oh nice, thanks for the heads up.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
If you haven’t yet read the James Bond book thread, it’s one of the best threads ever. The OP includes lots of details regarding the films, the actors, the foods, drinks, places and fashions of the times, a really good read. There’s also a lot of discussion on the issue of racism and sexism, as you’d imagine: what’s weird (and revealing) is that the ‘Bond Girls’ in the books are often really competent foils for Bond, rather than some hottie called Heavenly Polemuncher or something. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861448&perpage=40

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Eh, Bosch is fine. Looks glossy enough, everyone can act to a greater or lesser degree, bit of jazz, few gunfights, what’s not to like? My wife’s watching Once Upon A Time and it looks like poo poo made on someone’s phone.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Yeah, it’s first season is now 18 years old, it was ridiculously common to use rape as a quick dramatic device back then. In its defence, it does also depict a main male character being orally raped, and the fallout and trauma is addressed multiple times and not just swept under the carpet, which is kind of progressive, maybe? (I realise ‘more rape’ is probably not the answer).

That aside, The Shield is unparalleled in its payoff: every season builds on the one before, and you never get the feeling they’re making it up as they go along. Everyone ends up getting theirs, in one way or another.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Same, he’s intolerable. On the face of it, I should like an animal-loving atheist who yells at famous people for not paying their taxes, but I can’t do it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Klaaz posted:

I found the first couple episodes of BCS rather boring and never went back to it, should I? (love Breaking Bad though)

A buddy of mine has been pimping it at me for years, but I haven’t gotten round to it yet, and described it yesterday thusly: that BB showed a lot of its characters in a way that made them hate-able, but BCS goes out of its way to get you to like all its characters, even the bad ones.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Julio Cruz posted:

honestly only 1-3 stand up at all, and you can probably skip 2 if you're not a big Jimmy Smits fan

A Big Jimmy Smits Fan would make a pretty good user name.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Dexter always sounded like the backstory to some fourteen year-old edgelord’s assassin D&D character to explain why his murderous loner would be ok joining the party.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hizawk posted:

My wife loves Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel so I started watching those shows for the first time. We are watching them in chronological order, so once Angel started, it is Buffy Ep -> Angel Ep -> Repeat.

Currently on Season 5 of Buffy (2 on Angel), and I like Angel way more. He's actually the best part of his show, whereas Buffy is one of the worst characters on hers. All the other characters are much more interesting than Buffy herself, but it does suffer from every character having sarcastic dialogue to the point the lines don't really apply to a specific character.

Cordelia is amazing and my friend.

This continues. With the exception of a few episodes the last two seasons of Buffy and Angel are diametrically opposed in goodness. Now I think about it, Angel should have had seven seasonsand Buffy five.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I just finished S6 of Bosch, and I’d call the series overall ‘dependable’. It looks nice, the acting is fine, the stories are fine and that’s about it. Easy to watch, nothing to get annoyed about.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Good news

It has 4 series now

He was facetiously suggesting that seasons three and four are trash and not worth considering to have even existed.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
He was fine in ‘There’s Something About Mary’ and ‘Groundhog Day’ which are the only two things I’ve seen him in, what’s so awful about him?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I tried watching SFU after going through The Wire and The Sopranos and I found Brenda so intolerable I only got about twenty minutes into the first episode.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ratatozsk posted:

Glad to see The Shield at least pop up on their little graph there. That finale was incredibly well done and belongs up at the top of any list of series conclusions.

I put The Shield above everything else because it’s the perfect cap to seven series of rising action. There were a million ways it could have failed utterly, but they pulled off the most satisfying end to a long show.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
A reminder that Disney let everyone know Palpatine was alive via Fortnite.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

nwin posted:

drat. I made it through the first season and the last episode kinda lost me.

I tried the first episode of season 2 and my wife and I stopped it halfway through. It’s just too out there.

This was my exact experience.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Everyone in The Shield is a piece of poo poo with the exception of Claudette, who is exactly the right amount of ‘incredibly jaded, but occasionally some terrible poo poo makes her really angry’. There are bits of procedural stuff and crime solving, but it’s usually in service of either covering up or abetting some crime by the main characters: that, or showing that although they’re utterly despicable human beings, there are a few criminals worse than they are.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Oh, I don’t think it’s confused as such. ‘Breaking Bad’ isn’t confused, even though a huge section of the fan base didn’t realise the main character is actually the bad guy. Similarly, although The Shield undoubtedly had fans that wanted to see four white cops beating up ‘urban thugs’, it did a very good job of showing the thousand different ways you can be a bad person, or a bad cop; and that you can also be those things and still care about the job in some strange way.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

clown shoes posted:

Still one of the funniest hours of television.

"Mom? Mom? Mommy?"

“One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell without laughing”.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Chas McGill posted:

The Queen's Gambit was a treat to watch, even with its cheesiness and what I felt were some weird inconsistencies in the writing.

I’ve just finished this, and concur.

I was less bothered by the ticket. My very limited grievances were all from the last episode though.

In no particular order: the resumption of her relationship with Townes was wildly unsatisfying, the ‘chess was the friends we made along the way’ scene was something I’d expect from a really awful show, and her frowning prettily magically activating her bullet-time ability in the last match.

On another note, this marks the first time in fiction I’ve been offered the ‘hero is magically good at something with no effort’ trope and not been instantly put off. It’s very well made.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Just got to this. Also holy hell Gillian Anderson's Thatcher.

She’s slightly overegging the pudding vocally, but I can’t fault her physicality.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

DorianGravy posted:

Westworld felt like it had one story in mind, then told it well during the show's first season. It raises interesting questions and explores them. Honestly, season one felt like a complete, fully-told story. Same with Stranger Things. Some shows don't need to keep going forever. For both shows, I watched about three episodes of season two, realized that I was already completely satisfied with the show, and stopped watching.

I’ve been repeatedly yelling at people for wanting another season of The Queen’s Gambit. There’s twenty million good books in the world: use the exact same production team and make a new good show!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

showbiz_liz posted:

I would love to read a lengthy expose about all the poo poo that went on behind the scenes of that show.

I think there were always problems, I know someone who was attached to star in S1 who dropped it at the last minute because of a lack of competence in certain areas of the production.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

The poster is saying use the same production team to make a new series based on a different book. Not season 2 of queens gambit.

Correct, he was literally repeating my own annoyance with people. It wouldn’t work, and the answer obviously is to have more great tv shows to watch, not trying to bottle lightning.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Nthing the music thing. A lot of people really like it, but it seems wildly wrong to me pretty much all the time. The actual show isn’t appalling dreck like the recent movies though.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

withak posted:

Banshee is also good if you like to look at good-looking people who take their clothes off sometimes.

It’s also incredibly violent and bloody, which might be considered a bonus.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I imagine there's similar videos out there about Ahsoka too but I didn't watch any of those because I knew from Clone Wars commercials a decade ago that she was Anakin's padawan
At the risk of opening a can of worms, how did they fit a padawan into his life? I thought he didn’t get made a master? Also, there doesn’t appear to be enough time (based on the prequels) to even have him meet a padawan, let alone train one to a point anyone should give a poo poo about her.

e: make it brief

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Collapsing Farts posted:

What was the point of Luke showing up at the end? It was literally just a random character appearing out of nowhere to delete all opposition.

Firstly because about 98% of SW fans thought Luke’s last prior screen appearance was a poorly thought out trash fire in a series of utterly terrible movies made by talentless hacks, so they wanted Mark Hamill’s last appearance as Luke to be badass, rather than a fart.

Secondly, even people who don’t like R1 like the scene of Vader chopping up fools in a corridor, because before that scene existed he didn’t do anything that could be qualified as ‘scary’. This is the same deal only light side: not quite shot-for-shot, but the vibe is the same. Green lightsaber, full force powers, X-Wing, last ditch rescue.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

nate fisher posted:

Surprised to find out the actress playing Pol is married to Damian Lewis.

They buy coffee from me, she’s super nice.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I dunno, but there’s not many shows that had such a gigantic drop in quality. I had issues with the first season, but felt they had something to work with. The second season is beyond contempt.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ShakeZula posted:

I avoided Chernobyl because I have a hard time with body horror stuff, and many of the reactions I was seeing indicated that was a considerable part of it. Is that accurate?

There’s a fair chunk of people dying painfully of radiation poisoning as you might imagine. It’s five and a half hours of tv, and maybe 10 minutes of actual graphic footage: the utter horror of the whole thing will basically render you immune to anything gory though, your brain will be going OH NO. DONT. OH poo poo NO. OH gently caress. FUUUUUUCK from almost the opening scene.

e: kinda fb

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just did a rewatch of True Detective season 1 as well, and it's just as good as I remember it. I never bothered watching the third season. Is it worth checking out?

It’s merely good compared to S1.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

nwin posted:

I’m hoping it continues till the end.
Good news!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Collateral posted:

Shouldn't they be at college by now.

It’s selling point was that naive ‘Goonies’ energy from the first season, I’m not sure I want to see them get tattoos and lose their virginity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

withak posted:

Do Season One of The Terror next.

ahem