Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Pneub posted:

The best "martial art" is to fish-hook someone's cheek off and then stomp on their knee caps while they're rolling around on the ground. BJJ / muai thai looks like the best combination for sport fighting.

If someone ever runs towards my mouth with their fingers they are gonna lose a finger and die. Or at least lose a finger. Poppa has good chomp offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

It's almost as nasty as having to roll armbars with a beginner that doesn't have a cup!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The only thing missing from that was the Benny Hill theme.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I just re-watched a Fedor vs. Coleman match.

You bastards.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Chimney Sweeps Week posted:

rub a little Hendgay on it

Aoki actually got him down with a single almost immediately, but Mach swept him before pinning his face to the mat and beating him half way out of the ring. It was hugely impressive because Aoki has a really stifling top game, I can't remember any other instance of him being swept.

That gif is useful for a self loathing Fedor fan like myself. Hendo hits like a truck the older he gets. Can anyone do a BRH chronology? Some sort of chart?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Tank Abbott got DQed because he thought you could win via throwing a man out of the ring. Then he tried to do that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

fatherdog posted:

Nope.

I sure as gently caress thought someone did that. Don't tell me I believe a lie!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The thing I hate is that Kimbo, much to my surprise, seemed like a really good dude on TUF. My dad watched to see Kimbo die and ended the season a fan of him. The reason he didn't do anymore MMA was that his knees weren't just bad, they were loving gone. Mitrione kicked him a few times and Kimbo looked like he was about to have a Corey Hill moment.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Last I heard, he was seen galloping into the sunset with his hips firmly lodged above his head. Or something like that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Where in God's name did you get your avatar?
From the best film since Schindler's List.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

red19fire posted:

Question about cutting for the GSP/Silva fight: If it's at 177.5 lbs catchweight, are they going to end up at the same relative weight for the fight? I'd imagine that GSP will put on some more muscle, and Silva will have to either cut more drastically (affecting his gas) or lose muscle/walking around weight.

So it should be a larger GSP vs. a smaller/exhausted Silva, probably at around 190 lbs each when they rehydrate? Or would the strategy be different?

Silva used to fight at 167 back in the day, but weight cutting gets harder with age. Silva's cutting ability is the main question mark here. (He needs to hire Dolce.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

1st AD posted:

He's been as low as 182 in the last few years, so maybe he'd be able to hit 178 without much problem.

I really think, after seeing Dolce Wizard's work, that he could get Anderson as low as he wants without hindering his performance.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Xguard86 posted:

its funny to see MMA pictures where the dudes are smiling. Looks like a frat composite.

I miss my blue dumpy Fedor av.

That's right, I said it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Big Bidness posted:

Bang shows up to practice holding a binder full of training schedules, fighter evaluations, and gameplans.

Thonglor shows up holding an angry, hissing possum by the tail.

TAM looks at Bang with absolute confusion, then nods knowingly at Thonglor.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

BlindSite posted:

Yeah I started one, not sure if it's archived or not, if it is I'll do an effort post sometime in a few days and start another.

Yeah, I've always wanted to know what makes a truly good boxer and not grasped it. I'd love some in depth break downs of what made the greats so great. Boxing, through my father, was a lot of fun to watch growing up.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I appreciate the videos, but I have an embarrassing confession. Outside of, "his head is moving" and "his head isn't moving" what makes head work suddenly bad. I'm specifically thinking of Randy Couture head movement.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Seriously thank you all. I've always been a tic embarrassed by my length of really watching MMA and not knowing what head movement really meant. When I was a ranked épée fencer once of the main things to to was gently caress with your opponent to see their reaction. Then, you act on the reaction.

I love this forum.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

EvanSchenck posted:

Didn't somebody come into the monthly UFC thread with a statistical model that "proved" you would never be a champion if you had more than four career losses?

Randy Couture would like a word with you.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I don't know...where to put...this...err...

http://www.bjpenn.com/grappler-vomits-submits-after-opponent-farts-in-his-face/

So...is there nothing on the rulebooks about stuff like this?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

henkman posted:

Every grappling competition I've been to had at least one person puke

But from a fart to the face? Jesus.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

BlindSite posted:

It's gross but it happens. I've never had anyone fart in my face grappling, but you get dudes sweat dripping on you, bleeding on you and all manner of disgusting stuff.

It's part of the sport unfortunately. Grappling is rewarding in many ways but also rediculously punishing and gross.

Years ago when I did some MMA stuff I was shocked by how Chute Box-y the gym was, i.e. I got knocked clean out my first time sparring...by a sixteen year old...I was 25. But, all the MMA coaches and pros loving dreaded the BJJ classes. They all said, roughly, "Man, they say they are scared to come over here and train. gently caress that! You'll get stuff broken and damaged for life quickly in BJJ!"

And that's why I never put on a gi and went to any BJJ only classes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Kekekela posted:

That sounds like a really horrible gym giving really horrible advice.

I really enjoyed the gym and out of respect I'll leave their name out of it. They pushed you extremely hard and I was in the best shape I've been in since I fenced competitively in highschool and college. The thing I took issue with that eventually made me stop going was the jump from, "Your a newbie" to "SPAR WITH AN INSANE PRO" was really too quick. They also sparred way too hard and I suspect a lot of their pros/high level amateurs have awful chins by now. It wasn't bad intentioned and the only person I ever saw "bro out" got quickly kicked out of the gym for the night. They just sparred way the gently caress too hard.

The BJJ people? I have no loving clue.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fair enough. If I knew what I did now back in 07/08ish I would have known better. The fact that nobody was a dick makes me slam a pair of rose colored glasses onto my face real hard.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Pocket Billiards posted:

I've trained in boxing gyms all over my state and I never seen a first timer spar.

Even if you claim to have amateur fights or sparred at the gym you just came from they'd wait a while to check you out.

I came to one with years of training behind me, a decent amount of sparring but no bouts and I just skipped and did bagwork for 3 months before they were willing to do mitt work with me. This was a well known trainer who's gym had produced some household names in Australia over the last 30 years.

Everyone is more than correct. But I'd been there a few months, it wasn't my first day, before I sparred with someone who was about the same skill level. But he was young, went to hard, and landed a kick right on my jaw where the headgear ended. It wasn't my first day and with the exception of nearly dying from exhaustion thing it was fine until the last ten seconds of the three minutes.

But where the lovely part comes in was how the amateurs about to go pro fought. They always seemed to be knocking people out. The pros and the lower level guys normally had restraint. One of the guys who ran the gym left to start his own because the chute box training pissed him off. If I ever move back, I'd go to his gym. (No delusions here, I'm just healthier when I have an exercise I really enjoy.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I believe he speaks of the mythical CortXBomb, known to pull guard and rap all over the north while avoiding sources of melatonin engorging light.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

What is a reasonable amount of time to earn a legit BJJ black belt? I turn thirty soon and feel like making a declaration of something I should accomplish by 40.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

BlindSite posted:

Depends on whether or not you're terrible and how long and often you train. It's doable in as little as three or four years if you're a phenom, most people take about 10 or 11.

That's cool to know. Just thinking it might be a cool long term goal.

I am very terrible.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

1st AD posted:

Yeah if I recall after that fight I started seeing a lot more standing elbows, though only a few guys like Neer or Brown do that weird uppercutting elbow.

Don't forget when Anderson Silva killed a man with a standing elbow out of boredom.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

No, it's immature and stupid. Fighting is his job, he's being paid to fight. If he was trying his hardest to win and just looked bad, it's one thing, but he did the bare minimum and then got on his bike and wasted everyone's $45. It's like an actor deliberately doing a poo poo job in a movie on purpose because he thinks the script is beneath him but he needs the paycheck.

I thought the latter half of Marlon Brando's career was amazing. To each their own I guess.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

TheJoker138 posted:

Is there a general UFC thread I can take all of my comments on this stuff to? Cause I just watched Hackeny punch some weirdo Jesus freak who later went to jail for gang rape in the dick like 10 times and it was pretty much the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Welcome to our sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Edit: whoops

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fentry posted:

Did they ever come up with a broadcast acceptable name for the rape choke?

A Stann Lock

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I have a quasi-I train/trained question.

Five years ago when I joined a MMA gym and took classes that where mostly muay thai with a little jiu jitsu and wrestling thrown in, we did a move I thought was awesome but I never see. They called it a sweep. But now that I'm back in Jiu Jistu and watched the sport for ten plus years I'm pretty conformatable saying a sweep is when you get an opponent from off of you to you being ontop of them.

All I remember was you would be on your back when your opponent standing over on you in the position of being about the kick your legs/butt of jump into guard. Then you would press off their hip with one foot and hook their opposite ankle with your hand and be able to pretty well flip them from standing onto their back from which you could roll up into their guard or just "stand in base." Can someone who isn't retarded like me help me connect the dots and possibly reference some examples of this move?

All I know from "training" is that no matter how good you think you are at anything, you are infinitely worse, out of shape, and truly stupider at it than everyone else ever. And it's ridiculously fun.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Neeber posted:

Are you thinking of a tomahawk sweep (http://youtu.be/Q-LxzR3XI9A?t=13s)? You press off the hip but you hook the same side ankle, so not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for.

poo poo! That's really really close but kind of inverted...need to look closer...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Holy hell both of those videos are very close! This whole BJJ thing is pretty new to me. All of my previous experiences have involved engaging your opponent with strikes and throws and crap. The whole "grab on and go hog wild" concept is so God damned confusing it hurts.

My plan is to make it to at least three classes a week for the next month. Then re-evaluate what the gently caress I'm even doing.

Still, it's alot of fun. I'd encourage anyone to try it out. My BJJ gym takes the Brasil thing very seriously so I might take a date to salsa/samba/whateverthefuck night in the near future.

I guess these videos should go in the Hug Based Arts thread?? I don't know.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I saw a kid die so Imma punch some kids harder to make sure they dont die what who am I?!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

So badly want to say something clever but this accurately describes so much of my life it hurts.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I have a confession to make about my burgeoning interest in MMA around 2003. Me and a bunch of friends were watching a match that I can't recall if it was in an octagon or ring but it was two asian guys fightings. We had the fights DVRed, which was still pretty cutting edge at the time. One of the fighters was in an Orange speedo type trunks and started wailing on his opponent. All my friends and I freaked out and then paused the fight because we thought the announcer (could have been Mauro Ranallo (douche bad with a centimeter pole he talked about, I forget how to spell his name) or Rogan said something really racist and died laughing.

We thought, as the asian orange speedo trunks guy was tee'ing off on his opponent, the announcer yelled, "HE IS THROWING BIG RICE!"

After rewinding the DVRed recorded a bunch and we figured out he said, "HE IS THROWING BIG RIGHTS!" (right hands)

Any idea what this fight in that time frame could of been? My friends always wanted to know which fight it was because, "Throwing big rice" became kind of a joke amongst us for when you put a beat down on someone.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Memento posted:

Sounds like Kazushi Sakuraba. That should narrow down your search terms. I can't any matches of his where he actually threw good punches though.

Possibly the guy with the orange speedo trunks was getting his rear end beat as well. Were the orange speedo trunks a Sakuraba thing? My friends would poo poo if I found that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Bundt Cake posted:

mnowa v baroni

Oh God this could be it. Now to search for an unedited broadcast version and listen to the commentary.

Bundt, you may be a God amongst men.