Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can never tell with this guy for chapter 57, did jean die or did nameless dudes die?

It was not Jean 100% he was in a different area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jackard posted:

Probably right, but remember that originally Sasha was already dead by now.

Could you tell me this story.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Hitch will probably betray them if there is a traitor. She joined the military police deliberately to take advantage of the corruption. The Scout's victory would mean political reform.[/spoiler]

Despite this. Hitch appears to be a better person then she thinks she is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Plus it had "Bang Bang! Mr. Military Police is here to kill all the bad guys! Bang Bang!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Zackley is fairly benevolent. He is just not sugarcoating why he went along with the coup. He hated the kings court and wanted to bring them down and thats the reason he joined the coup.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Agreed he has some nasty thoughts. But he is clearly on their side and is quite reasonable.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I thought a lot of problems they had would have been solved had the Walls been build with lines dividing the outer walls into sections. With more Gate towns in the middle of those areas.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nelson Mandingo posted:

In chapter 70, Marlo is excited and talking about how they're going to beat the titans and "The titans are like paper before the might of that spear." and in chapter 72 when everyone is freaking out about the meat one of the new recruits says to another "You're no good with the spear. It's not like you'll be doing anything."

So one of the new weapons they have is a "spear". It probably has something to do with the stabilizers on their arms. Eren even was talking about how they've been using his titan body to develop weapons.

The Spear is the device set up on the walls now. Pretty much Titans are lured to spots were they have to duck down to get at the humans inside, then the spear comes down and kills them. It was introduced in the chapter you are talking about.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My bet is is that Reiner is dead. Next chapter will be him flashing back or something like that as he dies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vengarr posted:

I actually felt a little bad for him.

He's dissociating from reality so drat hard, he doesn't recognize a murder he just committed less than 30 seconds ago. You can tell from the anguish on Bert and Annie's face that it's loving them up too, both the situation and Reiner's inability to face it is causing them extreme pain.

Now, that doesn't make me any less angry that he is somehow still loving alive. Just die already, you piece of poo poo.

I don't think he is still alive. I think this Roar is sort of a death throes for his titan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also they did not kill off all of the Survey Corps. You can still see Marlowe and the other newbies are still around. Hange is probably still alive as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hoping Marlo and Erwin get lucky and survive anyway.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Poor Marlow. To think he died while the nameless guy from last chapter survived.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Baal posted:

Hannes

I think he meant Marlow

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Bert's dead and we lost Erwin as well. Those are pretty big deaths.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I don't see it ether. It's fairly obvious to me that both sides are clearly biased. We never will likely learn the whole truth, but it honestly does not matter for our protagonists.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nina posted:

I just hope we'll see some sympathetic Marley civilians eventually to cement that there are no good or bad guys per se.

Honestly Kruger the officer who caught them did not seem too bad despite the whole kicking him thing. (His partner was a poo poo however.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the Reiss family is the Fritz family. They just changed their name to be more anonymous.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That is the reason Marley is becoming interested in oil. Titans are becoming outdated as weapons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To show how Titans are becoming outclassed. Once the coup happened the military was able to learn of a bunch of hidden technology and in a few weeks at most created several powerful anti titan weapons.

At this point the mindless titans are not even really big threats anymore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sub Harrison posted:

It still requires a dozen people and optimal landscape to aim the rocket launcher. If you only hit their arms or legs its no good. And when Zeke ordered the titans to attack as a squad during the Castle battle, even the elite SC are taken out.

Yeah but they were being commanded by a shifter. The Mindless ones are still hardly threats at this point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Terror Sweat posted:

its probably the voice of the dude that watched titans eat his mom and swore an oath to kill every titan

Indeed.

Seriously most peoples voices change a bit when angry.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Artum posted:

Because hes a fan of and based a character on an imperial japanese military commander who died in 1930, naturally this speaks to every political belief he has.

Said character is also shown to be an rear end in a top hat in his private time. (But he is a decent leader and reasonable in his job.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't Zeke a descendant?
Yes

Phobophilia posted:

that's a big mechanics change

so the endgame is going to be to give historia a titan of her own. can't give the attack titan, because it contains the coordinator and will subsume historia's mind. giving her the colossal shifter would cost them a big asset in armin. but that would be the safest option, as a coordinator that isnt slaved to the will of the traitor king would be a strategic asset against zeke. but if misused, would accidentally set off the nuke

But they don't need to give her a titan I think. They just need Historia to touch him or somthing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno, the Mule titan doesn't seem particularly suited to combat. Her titan is actually probably one of the better ones for titan vs. titan combat since she can quickly out-maneuver some of the other titan types and attack their necks. Being capable of quickly climbing (which I don't think any other titans can do) is probably useful in a variety of situations.

It seems like with the current level of technology that exists in the AoT world, the 9 Titans shouldn't really be a game-changer any more (with the exception of the coordinate, assuming it can be used to control the mindless titans), so I'm not sure why losing the female and colossal titans was considered such a huge loss. They're still useful tools, but I don't see how they'd make a difference in a full-scale war with (presumably) millions of people involved. Killing any titan short of the colossal titan would be trivial with artillery (as we see in this chapter, where they needed to kill that one train before being able to release the Jaw titan), and even the colossal would probably fall to concentrated artillery fire it's such a slow, big target that it would be easy to knock out its legs and then pound its neck area into dust).

Marley agrees with you. The reason they are attacking the Walls is because they want to get the oil and other natural resources it is sitting as fuel for their arms race technology. The reason being that Titans are becoming outdated as weapons.

Even still something like the colossal titan attacking an enemy army would do a ton of damage to the enemies morale and cause some a lot of fleeing. Stuff like the anti titan canons are implied to be fairly new as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kerning Chameleon posted:

They abandoned their kin in Marley territory to Wall themselves up on a literal goddamn island to save their own hides, and proceeded to live a century in blissful, ignorant relative peace while the Marley ran roughshod over the rest of the earth with the titan toys they left lying around. They only started to care when the Marley broke that sweet little gig up. In the current setting, they're not just talking about protecting themselves from Marley invasion, they're basically using the loving Fourteen Words to justify what they're about to do the Marley, and probably any of these other factions that get in their way like the Middle Eastern Coalition.

We know the king did. But you are still going on about sins of the father. The walls were put up a 100 years ago and the population was mind wiped. None of the people that actually did any of this stuff is still around.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schwarzwald posted:

Should I hold out for the manga stream translation or is the current one good enough?

Hold.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also a better translated version of the chapter is out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I had already assumed her death back with her letter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

U-DO Burger posted:

Finding out Ymir is dead is all the motivation Historia needs to wage a genocidal campaign against the Marley

She already knows.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Saagonsa posted:

This actually made me think of something, how did they get the horses that they did their suicide charge on if that one guy let them all run away?

They let the extra horses go I believe.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dias posted:

"it has weird nationalistic overtones",

I don't even agree with this and feel like a lot of people are reaching.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Phobophilia posted:

Shingeki no Kyojin held its cards much closer, making it harder to interpret. And in spite of its critique of authoritarianism and militarism, it equates oppression past and future, obfuscating situations where one side was vastly in the wrong. So in the context of Japanese nationalism, it goes into the right wing lines, trying to equate the American occupation with the Eldian ghettos. Add the disavowal of any past responsibility (technically true, but one of the big justifications for the reinterpretation of Article 9), and Owl's line that the Marleyans were clearly not genocided because they still existed, and the story sits adjacent some big red flags.

Nah your reaching here.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schwarzwald posted:

I think this is an important point to make. AoT isn't a silly comic, and it isn't satire.

It's portrayal of oppression and fascism is played straight and plain.

And oppression and keeping the truth from the populace was seen as bad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schwarzwald posted:

Random detail I realized while lying in bed:

Reiner being welcomed into Eren's confidence is portrayed by him being lead into a basement.

I don't think that will be the case

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ATP_Power posted:

It's not as clear cut a situation for RBA as you're making it out to be. Remember that even without Marley propaganda, the Reiss kingship and the Paradisian military is a corrupt, cruel institution run by sociopaths enforcing a terrible government - the situation may be better post coup, but Zackley is a monster, and Hange (for as fun of a character as she is) is also something of a monster at this point too. Hell I don't think it's too unlikely that Armin ends up falling victim to realpolitik type thinking and going off the deep end in the name of pragmatism. I keep thinking of an interview with Isayama where he talked about how he was planning an Armin and Eren conflict for a later arc, and the issue of how to resolve the Eldian Question seems like a plausible breaking point for them depending on how they've developed off the page.

Not really Zackley and the rest of the Military Leadership have been super on the level for the most part. They have bad aspects but they have yet to do anything actually wrong in their leadership.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is a translation

https://yonkouprod.com/reader/read/attack-on-titan/en/0/101/page/1

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Poor Udo and Zofia.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

iamsosmrt posted:

Also, random question, did they ever explain why or if Historia's sister visited Eren at the very beginning of the story? Did that actually happen or does he simply have her memories in him now as he gained the Coordinator power?

She did not. He just had a vision of her as a result of getting the power. Unless you are referring to a different event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

I figured the asian part was the ackerman part

No don't know why you would think that.