Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Drone Jett posted:

LOL at that lovely Wall that only lasted 10,000 years.

But the White Walkers blow through it once they show up again 10,000 years later, and the wildlings are constantly getting around it or going over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

nine-gear crow posted:

Holy gently caress, Hieronymus really did break you, didn’t he? This is amazing :allears:

He already got probated once for saying something "positive". Have you considered the possibility it's.. sarcasm?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

kcroy posted:

Just in case you feel like raging a bit, go listen to GRRM ramble on about which Hugo category Fire and Blood should be.

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/02/02/hugo-eligibility-fire-blood/

I have to say it seems really weird to me that he isn't finishing his series. I mean this is what he'll be remembered for, it seems like you'd want to finish it. Rather than just, writing other weird stuff set in the same universe.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

kcroy posted:

It makes a lot of sense if you think of this way. He _is_ finishing it. He is just doing it at his own pace. The first three books came out relatively fast - but since then we've seen a book like every 6 years or so. So this next one is a bit late, for sure, but only like 40% late. I'd expect to see something in the next 2 years.

He has always had his side projects, and his focus is all over the place. I think the series ending has removed him from any time pressure, and we are back to it'll be done when it's done. I think his other projects are far more fun, and easier. He's got a crazy task in front of him. The story has spread loving _everywhere_ and he is still introducing major plot arcs. I think a more realistic plan would be 3 books to wrap things up, and another 20 years. If you want to set expectations - I'd go with that. Or him dying and someone else finishing it. Or the books will suck poo poo. But I don't think he is capable of wrapping things up in 2 loving books in any sort of decent way.

There was a telling quote about how once he figures out how the story is going to end, he loses interest.

40% late is a lot late for a book, especially when you're an old extremely fat man who gets and has gotten no exercise for years and years. I mean I get it, I just think its kind of bizarre.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah my immediate thought to that was there's a bunch of kid characters, it's already a problem how fast they age vs the show.

And somehow he's decrying them not copying on to the series rot.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Why does Hollywood love stupid sword designs so much? I was watching The Mummy, because it's on Netflix and they have virtually the same swords as the Arakhs the Dothraki use.

I instantly hate when I see stupid weapons and I don't know who the audience is that loves it. Everything about the way the Dothraki are presented in the show seems beyond stupid to me. They don't seem to have bows or armor or anything, they are just so badass with their badass swords that everyone is afraid of them or what.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

It's Hollywood's exaggerated idea of what a khopesh, a real and actually practical weapon, is supposed to look like.

Based on a little googling it was a bronze weapon that went out of style sometime around 1300 BC so basically, compared to more modern weapons it sucks?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

curved blades have been better for riders/cavalry since forever

Based on what?

Also, these aren't really "curved swords" they have a straight section then a C on top of it, more or less.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

HBO will be making GOT related media until the day he dies and probably afterwards.

Naw one of the shows won't do well and they'll decide the IP has seen it's day and cancel the rest.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

looooooooool ok guy

Any other excuse would have been more plausible.

Well if it any time he was going to have a real deadline it's before the show ends, any release of the book by that time will probably have increased sales. I mean I'm not sure if he actually cares (or should) I'm sure he has plenty of cash to do whatever by now.

Maybe he just didn't want endless bitching about how he was busy being in the show rather than writing?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think any release will probably do gangbusters relatively since a ton of people have read the books as something to do while the show was off but everyone involved in selling it is going to forever wonder how much more they could have had if he wasn't such a lazy shitdick.

If he ever writes it, it will probably also do well because they can market it as "what really happened" or something along those lines. There's a fair amount of evidence of divergence now (the whole yet another Targaryen sub-plot for example) though that'll be tough if it ends the same way.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

Whatever happened to the fat guy who went off to meister Hogwarts to learn meistering?

And was there ever a point to those obsidian candles?

In the show, he shovels some poo poo, cures Jorah, gets impatient, steals some books and a sword and heads back to the wall.

They only work when dragons are in the world, so they are a way of showing magic has come back into the world.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I'm fairly sure there's a fleshed out theory that points to the candles being used as a test by the maesters to identify any candidates with magic potential to disappear them pronto. I think it's part of the grand maesters conspiracy or whatever:

This basically seems like something that would be in a better series of books by a better writer. There are little hints of it "they're making a world without blah blah" but one of the Grand Masters is himself "the mage" and learns magic and stuff.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

A Typical Goon posted:

I've always thought the glass candles would end up being just Dues Ex Machina to communicate across far distances. The Maesters aren't the only ones that use them, Qaithe uses one to talk to Dany in Meeren

Seems unnecessary given they have ravens that fly thousands of miles and dragons that can find you in the middle of a trackless tundra.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

Started watching the show. Ned strikes me as unusually killcrazy.
Then Robert sentences Sansa wolf to death for no reason and Ned is like "I'll do it! I'll do it!" even though by Ned logic, Robert should do it.

I think in the books at least Ned tells Robert to do it himself and he just walks out? But yeah he's a bit violent, or at least a series of events happens that forces him to be violent.

It's more or less implied there hasn't been much going on for like 18? years except the odd Night's Watch deserter.

Honestly, I have no idea how they catch Night's Watch deserters, it seems like the first thing you'd do is steal some different clothes. The North is supposed to be the size of half the US, with medieval technology. If you just showed up somewhere how would they know? Also, it doesn't seem like people really avoid wearing black, there's no particular stigma attached to it or anything (that I recall)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

it seems like the first thing you'd do is steal some different clothes

Deptfordx posted:

I'm guessing 'Guy wanders in, all in black, on his own, who nobody knows, without money, and no clear explanation for what he's doing' is going to be a little suspicious.

Why would they not have money? How do they pay the whores in moles town? There's clearly towns where strangers show up for various reasons, nobody assaults Brienne & co out of hand, nor Davos when he wanders into town. Nobody straight up murders Arya with all her wandering. Obviously you'd have to make up a lie about where you're from, but you're from somewhere so it probably wouldn't even be that much of a lie.

All I'm saying is it's a basic oversight. They'd brand them with an N or something on their hand (yes then of course you could wear gloves but). To me the Night's Watch just seems like another of those decent concepts where Martin couldn't be bothered to think through the implications.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Source your quotes.

I can't really think of any casting that strikes me as particularly bad. Even where they don't look exactly as I imagined everyone does a pretty good job at embodying the role regardless. Shae I suppose but not because Sibel Kekilli doesn't fit the character - just because she's not great at acting in English.

I thought Catelyn Stark was supposed to be a great beauty in her day, why else was Littlefinger so obsessed with her? I don't' find whatever her name is to be very attractive. And I thought they should've used only one actor to play Jaime/Cersei, it's a fairly major point that Cersei doesn't even really love Jaime, he's just a male reflection of herself.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

tbf it might have gone better if lysa wasn't completely loving insane

The whole set up is kind of like that, the Starks haven't been to court in 17 years? Yet they rule half the realm? It's a little forced how out of touch the Starks are with everything, especially given how easily it seems like ravens fly all the time. Ned talks about Jon Arryn like he's a second father, but he never once visited him or his pseudo-brother Robert? He never sends the hand North?

Also kind of wonder why Cersei stops having kids. She clearly never stopped sleeping with Jaime though biology is complex. I guess maybe she was drinking that moon tea.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

esperterra posted:

a lot of things might have lmao

What would've really been different? Rob still won in the Riverlands, even with less troops, and still got owned because he broke his betrothal.

Actually though when you think about it, it kind of doesn't make sense how Tywin acts. How does he know that the Vales forces won't emerge at any time and catch him between the proverbial hammer and the anvil? Kind of doesn't make sense that he goes to Harrenhall.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Collateral posted:

Climate is hosed up in Westeros, its normal everywhere else..

So is the night that just wouldn't end mentioned happening anywhere else?

Isn't the only time it's mentioned by that woman who is apparently very old who was a nursemaid to the Starks? Maybe Melisandre brings it up and I'm not remembering. It does seem like if the white walkers win, they'd be stuck in Westeros. That'd actually be a pretty awesome ending to the series, Cersei takes whatever gold she can and flees to one of the free cities while the Seven Kingdoms drown in blood and ice.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Did the show ever make it explicit that Robert was a megacreeper who Lyanna was never really interested in anyway?

I mean, if we wanna do the old "who's to blame???" thing for why things went lovely I think Robert doing his rebellion entirely because he's a jilted weirdo in denial about the woman he's obsessed with not loving him back is a pretty singular and decision based act you can point to.

Wasn't it more touched off by the burning alive of Brandon and Rickard Stark?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

esperterra posted:

That just made things worse imo and brought the other lords closer to Robert's side, but Bobert would have kept his rebellion going til he either died or got Lyanna back

This is what the wiki says, for what it's worth "280-281 AC: In response to the king's murder of Rickard and Brandon Stark, the new Lord of Winterfell, Eddard Stark, raises the banners of the North. Robert Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End and betrothed to Lyanna, joins the rebellion, raising the banners of the Stormlands."

One thing never made sense to me in GoT, there's basically no fostering going on when the war starts. They discuss fostering Arryns son. Yet the king's life was defined by his being fostered by Jon Arryn, and it's the kind of thing you do to keep wars from starting. I think it's just more authorially convenient than having floating children scattered around various houses, but it's just another thing that doesn't ring true to me.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 6, 2019

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

Wasn't the mad king about to explode the whole city with magic elf napalm?

Yeah, he had it secreted around the city by his pyromancer hand, but that was after the loss at the Trident.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

esperterra posted:

It always did strike me as odd that none of Ned's sons were the wards of other lords tbh. Robert's children not being sent away I can buy b/c Cersei would probably refuse to send them away, but you'd think Ned would have sent a few away.

And Doran Martell has been plotting a rebellion ever since the last war, yet he neither fosters his children out or has some brought in to build alliances.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Martin's world has seasons that last for years (yet Earth flora/fauna), examining the climate for inconsistencies may be a futile endeavor.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's been established that Catelyn is an idiot. IF she wasn't then she'd know that.

It is a plot so laughably dumb it's hard to believe anyone would've believed it.

Evil Fluffy posted:

She'd also remember that Tywin desperately wants a Valerian Steel sword for his house and so the odds of him allowing Tyrion to own a dagger of that material is absolute zero.

I don't know how she would necessarily know that. I didn't particularly like the "Tywin wants a Valyrian steel sword" nugget, it seemed out of character for him and simultaneously I had a hard time believing the richest most powerful house in Westeros couldn't get his hands on one or a few daggers and melt them down.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

None of them ever being for sale is the whole reason he wants one.

To me, it doesn't seem true to the world, that Tywin Lannister couldn't get one if he really wanted one. There's the dagger, the random sellsword with one, the one Jorah leaves behind. They don't seem to be that rare, and people aren't that careful with them.

I get that "nobody would sell him one" it just feels like authors fiat rather than something organic to the world itself.

He could also have one stolen and melted down like he essentially does.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

And like I get the intention behind this but I never thought of Joffrey as a behind-the-scenes schemer. I'd have thought he'd just stand on the battlements screaming 'KILL HIM SER MANDON! KILL HIM NOW!'

Also I've hit the mid-point of season 4 in my rewatch. I forgot that this is the point at which a good 50% of the show is now fanfic/filler while entire plotlines are being skipped and compressed.

Seriously did we need to have the taking of Meereen happen mostly off camera so early on and dedicate two subsequent episodes to the Legend of Gin Alley?

Battle scenes are like expensive I think. Lots of extras and or CGI.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They look bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It's a bad look.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah. They said it was their little shout out to Jorge and his habit of killing characters (read: beetles) in large numbers and for little to no reason.

Smash da beetles.

Is there a source for that? Everything I've read points to it being a reference to Orson Scott Card. (And the beetles from Enders Game)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The dumbest thing with the Unsullied was the spears.

In the episode where Dany flies back to Meereen an Unsullied is standing in a doorway, spear lateral, half in, half out.

Good luck swinging it in close quarters, dipshit.

Spears are used in open fields. Not in alleyways. The most elite soldiers in the world would loving know this and have swords as well.

So not only was Barristan's death incredibly poo poo writing, but literally no one on set thought "why the gently caress would they be fighting with spears inside homes and alleyways?

I'm not even remotely a soldier or a fighter and this occurred to me. A shameful show.

This is an incredibly consistent problem with how combat is portrayed in most movies/TV. It's stage fighting. I quite liked Kingdom of Heaven because the combat in it felt far more real to me. GoT fighting was bad to okay, depending on the episode.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah i remember covering the really pedantic ~*world-building*~

Stuff like house Beesbury it's like impossible to parody.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

I like how the show portrays the Eyrie as this impenetrable fortress. I can believe it but if only 3 soldiers can walk abreast to reach the castle then why wouldn't an invading army just post a garrison at the entrance and then just let them starve in there?

Not like they can launch an attack from the castle and hit an enemy in the back then they would have to trickle out their troops a few at a time. Never mind supplies and equipment.

How did they even build the eyrie? It's a fortress on top of a mountain. The path is so narrow you can only take goats up there. For that matter how did they build the wall? The civilization doesn't seem even remotely capable of that kind of organized effort. Though granted it was apparently 8000 years ago, so they could be entirely different then.

Which brings up the fantasy trope of civilizations that don't functionally change for thousands of years, which I really don't understand.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

Good question. I haven't gotten that far yet.

I just realised that Jorah Mormont and Command Mormont have very similar last names. I never put 1 and 1 together before.

Also what's the deal with Cercei telling the church to form its own militia and then 5 seconds later they have soldiers roaming the city.

In the books it was some decision over taxes or something that netted her gold in the short run but backfired in the long run. With people telling her that the last time the church was permitted a militia things went badly and her scoffing over their objections.

Seems Jorah got the turbo-ebol-aids in the TV series. I forgot who got it in the books but that "gang" had so many characters show up in such a short time I lost count.

This maybe feels more explicit in the books since you see the word Mormont twice.

The church had lots of refuges hanging out and some of them were armed with clubs and stuff already, mostly Cersei just gave them crown permission to be what they already were.

It was the Griffin guy who got stone leprosy, the one who kept the other last Targaryean safe all these years.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

less laughter posted:

He wanted to keep her son close by so he could still feel like his sister wasn’t entirely gone

Frankly "Ned" is one of the dumbest most baffling characters in ASoIaF. A lot of what he does is driven by what will move the plot along.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Ned doesn't understand the society he's in.

Hes not actually a bad character, hes got a pretty serious flaw that leads to his downfall. And then to the downfall of the rest of his family. Books 1-3 are pretty well written in this regard.

I get that interpretation of Ned, that he basically believes in chivalry etc.. but it seems hard to believe he's that naive given what happens to his father/brother, the queen's betrayl, Jon Arryns murder, his sisters elopement etc.. and even if he does I don't see it all that well established through the flashbacks and whatnot from the children, which is where you'd expect to see "father always said justice blah blah".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

As usual, fans quibble about the finer details and logic of the plot rather than discussing writing.

I think the writing is reliable and workhorse like. It has great adequasivity.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

You know something is wrong when I feel disappointed that Brann and friends got away from the zombie horde. Like come on! You almost had them! Are you even trying? She's pulling a sled and you broke down the door like 50 meters behind her! There were thousands of you, where did the others go?

Listen there's no way that zombies which crawl onto walls and ceilings like spiders and can tumble down cliffs unharmed and feel no cold nor hunger could catch a tiny girl pulling a crippled boy on a sled in a blizzard. Be realistic.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

Rattle shirt didn't play much of a role in the show. A few snide remark and a heated debate with Tormund and he bowed out.

It's almost like someone went "remember that guy? Oh yeah we should probably wrap up his character arc"

I'm not doing the math but it might be because he was more important in the books so they included him in the show, then they found out there's no way the books are getting finished and they were told the major plot points and he didn't matter, so they wrapped him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

kcroy posted:

Yes - there was supposed to be an attraction between him and Arya ( you can see some remnants of it in the Needle scene ). Which becomes "ok" once he knows his background. I don't have source on this, but I think it was from the original editor's notes or something.

Yeah, it's super okay to gently caress your cousin, that you grew up with as a child, nothing creepy about that at all.