Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Tecman posted:

- Deus Ex had many modern day conspiracies. Is there any modern day conspiracies in Deus Ex Human Revolution?
Frank says:
“A few. I notice the question doesn’t ask what they are… What a shame! :)
I'm looking forward to the levels in Kenya and the military's Anti-Skyscraper Missile Testing Facility.

I thought DX1's stealth WAS based on line-of-sight and it was DX2 that was shadow-based?

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

It's based on a proprietary engine so it's impossible to tell how they store the data until someone actually looks at the files.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Really? I thought it was UE3?
It looks like UE3.
No, it was built on Crystal Dynamics' proprietary engine.

Sounds like the question of whether people have figured out how to extract data from it has already been answered though.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

TheMostFrench posted:

I still remember how it ran at like 5-fps for pretty much everyone playing it out of the box and they all swore a holy jihad upon Valve. Memories!
I don't remember this except for idiots that tried running it on an MX400.

I got it on launch day and it worked fine for me on my lovely 9600. :colbert:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I found that early rocket launcher and wound up never using the typhoon at all. In retrospect I probably should have because that thing takes up a ton of space and the typhoon takes up only as much space as the ammo packs and candy.

etalian posted:

Also you get extra XP for being able to Ghost the through each level section.
Apparently DTDs are also worth a massive amount of XP. Someone did a DTD-only Ghost run and wound up getting every aug, also if you're OK with ruining Ghost then you can basically use it to turn candy into XP by letting enemies wake up other enemies and then DTDing them both.

Oh yeah and hack everything.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 5, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Hogburto posted:

I remember this not working for me.
You get the full 125 XP.

e: I can't remember, does taking the upgrade disable takedowns on Namir? If not you can cheese him by spamming takedowns when he hops a wall and it'll connect one and kill him instantly.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 5, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Gordon Shumway posted:

Saving Malik is awesome, by the way, and not lifting a finger to help was really hard for me to do on my pacifist run.
I did it and got Pacifist, but I think doing that and getting Ghost would be nearly impossible unless you burned a shitload of candy and cloak-takedowned the entire area. Too many guards are looking right at your point of entry on the fast route and if any of them sees a body (of which there will be many!) then you also lose it.

The big challenge isn't killing the guards with non-lethal means because they're all distracted by the chopper so you can stungun/takedown them with near impunity, the challenge is not letting any of them get blown up by the bot. I needed about 15 tries before finally getting it and from what I can tell the best thing to do is:
- Tranq the 2 heavies in the back immediately, this will keep them from getting near the bot and give you a lot more time
- Stungun the guard near the pillar on the right
- Go around back, turn left, stungun the guard by the cinderblocks, throw an EMP grenade at the bot (which should have just landed) and DRAG THE GUARD AWAY FROM THE BOT
- Stungun the guard on the other side of the yard
- Go up the stairs, stungun/takedown the rest of the guards
- Go up the ladder and stungun/takedown the sniper
- Tranq the last sniper
- Go back and make sure every single guard is asleep and not dead

FactsAreUseless posted:

and some energy bars.
There are two energy bars right before the pillar guard (which should be all you need).

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 5, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

80 pistol shots to the cranium but only 6 body shots with a stun gun? What the gently caress?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Hogburto posted:

That's why I gave a time left / total time. He can estimate his own time left based on how long he's taken so far and the ratio.
Well, it's a bit distorted since most of the side quests and city hub exploration stuff that a speedrun would skip are behind him at that point and most of what's left is more linear.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Dice Dice Baby posted:

There are exceptions. I rarely, if ever, used the tranq rifle and in at least one case I remember taking down a guy, only to later find him with a skull instead of Zs on his tooltip.
Supposedly the tranq rifle can occasionally kill someone if you hit them in the head with the dart.

There isn't a huge incentive to hit them in the head with it either since, unlike DX1, they don't notice that they've been hit by it.

quote:

This is certain at least in Detroit; in the building with some MCBs, one of the gang-bangers will be dead sometime later when you re-visit the building even if you did a takedown or used the stun gun.
Supposedly this is a bug, bodies out cold for a long time may have the icon change to dead (especially if you move them) but it won't affect a pacifist run.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 2, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

fennesz posted:

I can never bring myself to stealth that section.
You pretty much have to cloak non-stop, burn a bunch of candy, and watch enemy patterns so you don't run into them.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Amethyst posted:

As in, it turns the game from a careful process of observing guards and taking windows of opportunity into a game of mindlessly waiting for your battery to recharge.
Even if the cloak didn't exist, you could trivialize a shitload of the stealth play by abusing sound. Same as the first: Pick a weapon that doesn't make noise, shoot a wall or floor opposite the enemy you don't want looking at you, run by or takedown/kill/whatever.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

My finest moment in Deus Ex was incapacitating all of the UNATCO agents before sending the signal in Hell's Kitchen, accomplished through the ancient art of blocking their vision with cardboard.

10 years later, I'm doing the same thing in the police station.

Maybe in 10 years the AIs will start batting the boxes away, then I'm hosed. Either that or their next character will have an aug that generates cardboard.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Chakron posted:

Apply every single upgrade to the pistol, and run riots on the world until you get the nano sword. (mid-game story-related weapon spoiler)
Keep in mind that the laser upgrade makes your weapon perfectly accurate, but bugs out and does nothing if the weapon has a scope upgrade. Don't put laser on your pistol because you really want a scope on it.

That said, I think the assault rifle is a better target for upgrades. Once you get Rifles 3, you can run-and-gun everything by dumping bullets into their skull while they stagger helplessly in their pain animation. There is also a shitload of ammo for it.

The pistol tapers off in usefulness later in the game too. 10mm ammo becomes rare and enemies that can't be killed by a single pistol headshot (MIBs, MJ12 commandos) but can be killed by a sniper rifle or crossbow dart headshot become more common, and if you're not killing them in one hit, why aren't you using the assault rifle?

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 25, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Hogburto posted:

For regular DX human enemies, it goes like this for me:
1: A single puff of pepperspray (1/2 a unit, 200 puffs per cartridge) + 1 baton swing = knockout
2: A single puff of pepperspray + 1 prod with the prod = knockout (no explosion -find out what they're carrying)
3: Sniper rifle to the face
Shoot the wall or floor opposite you with a crossbow dart, hit them in the back with a crowbar, pick up dart. Repeat forever.

Super secret tip: This works in every Deus Ex installment. There's slightly less reason to do it in DX:HR though because the stun gun does the same thing in one easy step.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 25, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Anatharon posted:

I managed to save Malik non-lethally once by accident. I couldn't reproduce it if I tried.
The two main things for that are getting the high-damage enemies (i.e. the heavies and bots) down first, and making sure that no enemies are near the bots when they explode. Easiest way I've found is tranq-gun the heavies in the back of the area immediately and drag anyone near the bot landing away. Once that's done you can just mop up with takedown/stungun spam. There's a ton of candy around, use it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

The ogres almost completely ignore you in that segment if the helicopter is still alive and the stun gun takes them out instantly.

gooby on rails posted:

I thought the game didn't "blame" you for enemies killed by exploding robots? Or are you talking about RP purity and not the achievement.
Oh, welp. Makes it even easier then I guess.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 26, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Camel Pimp posted:

I actually never, ever used the PEPS (I doing a half-rear end pacifistic run). Is it good? Does it do anything neat?
It goes through enemies and can hit several of them. The problem is getting a multi-enemy hit requires breaking cover for a contrived shot most of the time (which will get you shot), it makes a lot of noise, it makes it very hard to see anything for a while after it's fired, and it has a massive reload time.

I dislike it. If I want to incap a bunch of enemies, I'd rather use a gas grenade, or a stun grenade followed by stun gun/takedown spam.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Iacen posted:

I always get the Typhoon as soon as possible, just to avoid boss battles.
If you don't want to use points on the Typhoon, you can still kill bosses by dragging them over a stack of frag mines. I killed them by keeping a rocket launcher and stockpiling rockets, but that takes up more inventory space than mines.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

... considering the goodies you can yoink off of baddies and poo poo stashed around the crash site. Don't forget that you can use takedowns!
There is a ton of candy in that segment so yes spam takedowns as much as you can.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

gooby on rails posted:

You might want to buy the Typhoon just in case the boss fights get frustrating.
Typhoon's pretty optional if you either pile up rockets or frags.

The main priorities I think should be inventory expansions and exploration-related augs (Hacking, punch through walls, high jump, lift heavy objects) that get you more XP and items.

Things to hold off for last are probably Fortify (take Stealth instead), Social Enhancer (only needed for a select few social battles, most can be solved by not skipping content and reloading your save if you gently caress up), extra batteries (take recharge rate instead), recoil compensation (sucks) and a second point in radar (sucks).

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Also, unlike Deus Ex, it's not incredibly easy to accidently get infinite EXP.

Thanks Mr. Savage. :allears:
As nice as that exploit is, it's pretty much icing on the cake since you just need Pistols 3, Rifle 4, Lockpicking 3, Electronics 3, and MAYBE Demolition 2 (so you can one-shot the big bots with a LAM) to be in deep diminishing returns on XP gains.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Mad Pino Rage posted:

I think I messed up the Pacifist achievement because on my infiltrating the DRB hangout, I punched through a wall and grabbing a DRB gang member and snapping his neck. I don't know why it did this, but does this count against the Pacifist achievement? If it does it seems extremely ridiculous for the game to automatically kill someone when all I wanted to do was punch through a wall.
Yes. Don't punch through a wall when someone is on the other side. Check your radar.

quote:

On this note, does hacking and setting turrents to fire on your enemies count against Pacifist?
Yes.

quote:

I can't think of anything else that would count against, but is there anything I should watch for to earn this achievement?
Don't push enemies into hazards, i.e. fatal drops, electrified water, gas, or mines.

Exploding bots apparently kill enemies, but don't count against the achievement.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

tadashi posted:

I talked Zeke down in the Sarif factory stand-off. Then I forgot to meet up with him back in Detroit before I left for the FEMA facility. When I got to Sandoval's "apartment" Zeke was waiting with the bait and hit me with an EMP. (I think my crowning achievement in single player games was hitting him with the stun gun even through all the poo poo EMPs do to you....) If I were to do his little side-mission back in Detroit at the beginning of the game, would he be more hospitable to me in Sandoval's downtown apartment?
I finished the mission and he was still hostile there so no.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I think the reboot trend is going to run out of steam. A lot of the things that make the reboots work (i.e. being a novel reinterpretation, being more plausible) make it harder to keep them running as a franchise.

I don't think Deus Ex needs it anyway. The conspiracy oriented nature of the story makes it easy to integrate new plot threads (fitting, given the title!), and the relatively widespread nature of augmentation and massive scale of various agencies in the story make it easy to make new major characters. It'd be VERY easy to make spinoffs within the universe.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

You've even got the perfect tagline ready to go: "He wanted orange. The world gave him lemon-lime."
I misread this as being about the color tinting at first, and now I'm imagining a Gunther Deus Ex installment where everything is tinted green-yellow.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Actually, the game's shooting mechanics are probably the one part of Deus Ex that takes it from "best game ever made" to "one of the best games ever made."
I thought the shooting mechanics were fine for the most part except for the obvious newbie trap of not getting your weapon skills up early. The main thing that made the combat kind of clunky was the terrible AI, particularly the bad navigation.

I'm not sure why anyone would cast it as a "pistol and sniper rifle only" game unless you're playing on low difficulty. You can't do that even if you want to in later parts because there isn't enough ammo for them. The assault rifle is faster than the pistol at killing pretty much anything that takes more than one bullet and is safer because of pain frame locking and the shotguns can kill bots.

The only weapons I'd say are really questionable in it are the plasma rifle, flamethrower, stealth pistol, and PS20.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 3, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

The only things batteries are even used for are takedowns, punch-through-walls, x-ray vision, typhoon, cloak, and run/land silence. I think limiting cell recharge isn't just to throttle takedowns, but to make doing cloak takedowns ALWAYS cost candy.

I think it's justifiable from a balance perspective, but part of why is because the active aug system is so weak. It's really not very useful outside of stealth and blowing up bosses.

Punch through walls should also really not cost a full battery.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

All they would have had to do to balance takedowns was make them only work on unaware enemies and add a delay to being able to use them after leaving cloak.

Aleph Null posted:

Of course, I also thought that having the only melee options be takedowns was poorly thought out.
The stun gun is practically a melee option given its range.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Any tips, aside from go slow and look for vents?
The stun gun is really, really good. It's like the DX1 riot prod except it's medium-range and you don't have to be behind them.

Foxiest is lost if an alarm sounds, not if you're seen, you won't lose it if you're seen unless it triggers an alarm.

Enemies can't see through each other.

Shoot walls/floors opposite enemies with a silenced pistol to make them look at the bullet hole instead of you.

Brainamp posted:

Also remember that throwing poo poo to make noise is still a tactic.
Be careful when throwing things, enemies will go to the source of the object if they see it thrown.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Rolling Scissors posted:

Nowadays this is not at all relevant (and the same would have been true in 2000 when Deus Ex came out), but when hard drive space was premium, it was awesome to get a great sounding music in game even though you might've only had a lovely soundblaster with a FM chip.
Tracked music kind of split the difference between a few options. They were typically around the same size as MP3s of the same length, which made it smaller than ADPCM, but much less CPU intensive than any form of MPEG audio (at the time, MPEG audio decoding consumed double-digit CPU percentages). They didn't suffer from compression artifacts, so the sound was clearer, if much more limited in its composition.

I think the reason it wound up in Deus Ex was probably historical: Epic had been using tracked music for Jazz Jackrabbit when disk/CPU were even more at a premium, and decided it'd be a good idea to tap a bunch of demoscene musicians for Unreal/UT99, so they just stayed with it. ADPCM usually made more sense in that time period though.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 4, 2013

• Locked thread