Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Niggurath posted:

So episode 3 was still pretty strong all around; I enjoyed the death traps in Claire's area and the cooperation in Barry's section. I think the only thing that was a bit tedious and went on for too long was that battery carrying near the end of Barry's chapter. Still this has been a pretty enjoyable experience all around and they really seemed to have nailed down keeping me interested enough to be excited for the next week to come for more episodes.

It also helps i'm coming back every time going "oh god there is no way they can top the writing in the last episode!" and they always managed to do it so far and it's great :allears:

As neat as the co-op mechanics are i can't help but feel a bit sorry for player 2 though at least when you're playing as Moira you can smack a dude upside his face with a crowbar if the flashlight doesn't get them in time. Natalia seems a bit redundant as in split screen you can just look down a bit and see everything and get all the information you need with not a whole lot of communication needed.

Sure the brick is super amazing at knocking EVERYTHING down but without it all Natalia is really good for is pointing out The invisible bug assholes and being unintentionally funny to mess around with (teabagging the disintegrating corpses, spamming her aim button while aiming at the ground so it looks like she's headbanging for instance). So here's hoping

Also blame Telltale Games for the whole "whoa this is only 4 episodes? oh okay" mentality since they are the ones making everything 5 episodes (except Game of Thrones who's 3rd episodes is still not out yet :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Lunethex posted:

There are two endings to Rev2.

You get a bad ending in Barry Ep4 if Moira doesn't use the gun to kill Neil.
You get a good ending if, however, you do have Moira finish him.

I'm sure that's all there is to it though.

edit:

oh and Co-op won't be available for raid until March 31st I guess. It was posted on the steam board.

So knowing this, is it possible to do just Claire's part of Episode 3 then immediately go Barry 4 and see the good ending? Seeing the "bad ending" just now makes me want to see what exactly changes.

Barry's part when on way to long but at least the final boss wasen't as bullshit hard as in Rev 1's a bit less interesting because of that but it was a good enough boss at least.

Barry's quote right before the fight is probably one of the best lines in this whole series YOU"LL NEVER HAVE HER, SHE-WESKER! :argh:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Does anyone else not like the weird octopus-like sub-boss that appears in Barry chapters and The Struggle? That might be my least favorite enemy to fight in Rev2, with it's weird lobster claw hand shield and the instant kill and how it looks really lame when it is almost dead with no tentacles left.

Imagine fighting a version of that guy with just as much health that splits into 2 when you hit his weakpoint and you have Rev 1's version of that guy :thumbsup:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Getting spotted 9 times means you still get an S? Guess that means i can stop resetting every time i get seen then.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

When reading previews i thought "oh god Moira's thing is that she hates Barry for being so overprotective ever since she was kidnapped by Wesker in RE 1 isn't it? Calling it now"

Nope, just a little accidental gun discharge is all :stonklol:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

This whole event reminds me of when the Ur-Dragon was still viable to kill in Dragon's Dogma and people had no idea how it worked so some people would see a health increase and go "stupid hacked characters dying and giving their health totals to him, i just want gear :argh:"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Did the new REmake take out the shoot the camera easter egg thing? Or was that just in REZero?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Wait you can get Rebecca to make V-Jolt for Chris? :o: when i tried to do it the dialog of "i was never any good at science" made me think i just had to brute force it since Chris is Chris

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Do you have the skill where Claire/Barry will actually shoot when AI controlled? Granted they do poo poo damage but it's better than just standing there.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Natalia's gimmick is both hindered and made actually actually somewhat enjoyable through the fact that the campaign is split-screen only.

On one hand, what's the point of having the "only Natalia can see enemies through walls and let you be sneaky" when Barry can just screen look and get the same info? There's no need for communication other than "uh poo poo, did you maybe miss something through that hole? This door is still locked"

But on the other, if the only way to deal with the invisible guys was to listen to both your partner AND the character in the game yelling at you to aim at certain points on the screen and when to shoot it'd be way more frustrating. Granted you have different ways of revealing those guys without that help.

Brick is never not hilarious though and pretty much on par if not more powerful than even the magnum :colbert:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Man imagine that game with actual communication possible! Part of the charm would be gone because most people are going to be using party chat and not the weird callouts but the gameplay itself is such a twist on the old style RE formula that everybody needs to experience it!

Imagine a whole new generation of people raging that they didn't get to be Kevin or Mark :getin:

On another note i just got the good ending of Rev 2 and holy crap is it an improvement over the other one! Wonder why they decided to have it be such an arbitrary trigger that is easy to miss if Claire is a better button masher than Moira. It was a worth it for COME AT ME, SHE-WESKER! it's a nice touch that they actually change you over to the special Magnum for that part too. My player 2 was definitely happy to have a chance at shooting a gun and it even the rocket launcher we though was strangely absent from this installement!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The best part about Revelations 2 is that it's episodic game play that actually felt episodic! I was looking forward to next wednesday to see how the story would unfold. Literally nobody else that does it's game in episodic form has put them out in a regular schedule.

It takes loving Capcom of all people to show them how to do it right.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So what are the different endings you can get in the REremake?

1.Save everybody
2. Save Chris/Jill but not Barry/Rebecca?
3.Save Barry/Rebecca but not Chris/Jill
4.???
5.???
6.Let everybody die

Just did my saveless run as Chris and got the ending where it's just him and it's kinda weird that you just get a casual stroll out of the mansion without any kind of timer or anything. You don't even get to fight Tyrant again. I was so pumped to use the rest of my magnum ammo on him :(

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Clearly we need to keep buying these HD re-releases until they eventually get to Outbreak out of principle of running out of games to update.

It'd be an interesting thing to do these days, although the whole emote system would be out completely and that was kind of half fun in that game was trying to communicate to your idiot teammates what you wanted with just like 6 different phrases you can say.

Although it'd be great to have a whole new generation of players complain that they didn't get to be Kevin or Mark :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

But Jim was the best character though. That critical hit chance with the lucky coin made him good.

No no but see, Kevin and Mark started with a gun so they were the best.

Although back when Outbreak was still played i saw that at least on GFAQS people swore more by David and Alyssa just because of free weapons and the lockpicking.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Wasen't there also a million hidden costume system as well? Like every level on every difficulty mode had X amount of "layouts" for their hidden items and you had to just go to certain spots on the map mash the X button to pick it up? It was either that or from some kind of points system?

This is all off of my memory of what read i read when the game was active btw, The year i was going to get a Network Adapter to actually play it is when they took down the online for it so :(

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Lunethex posted:

gently caress. That.

It's not QUITE as bad as it seems. Everybody can do some kind of melee attack to at least keep the enemies away from them. There are also some others that have a straight up dodge with crazy amounts of I-frames so you can get through the majority of enemies without being touched.

gently caress fighting any of the bosses without a gun though, especially if you're offline and have to have the bots do the damage for you.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

More game need the ability for you to roll around on the ground at will. Those other games would need tutorials that would actually explain these systems as well since RE6 did literally nothing to tell it to you past the very basic controls.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Backhand posted:

Don't you have to stand up the one time to shoot those explosive barrels blocking the path?

Other than that, though, yeah. Just take a breather.

Makes me wonder: Who's the worse partner, Helena or Steve? I think Sheva gets a pass because it was more her AI that was horrific than the character herself.

Yeah you have to shoot the explosive barrels, but you can even fight Debra in the minecart from on the ground since all she'll do in that situation is a slow rear end stab attack that is easily countered by shotguns.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm surprised at how low key this announcement is. Like they get one guy in a room with a WE DO IT shirt and they are delivering their updates via Facebook? Not something you see a lot of game devs do, especially ones as big as Capcom. I guess they are more focused on Zero's remake first and foremost?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

I can only picture this as a rock-opera about picking locks.

Seriously though if one of the songs is "The master of unlocking" I'd watch it.

Seriously 99% of the reason she looks so stupid here is the exposed thighs. It's 20-loving-15 can't game designers risk giving a female character pants? Tactical armor with gaping holes (in a spot where you have veins that will bleed you out in seconds, no less) looks silly and has always looked silly.

Revelations 2 did a good job of keeping it's ladies classy. Just don't look anywhere near the first game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Alabaster White posted:

Just finished Rev2: The entire game was just so Barry could make bad RE1 jokes, wasn't it :allears:

At least you got to see THAT much, my first time through the game We got the bad ending because seriously, does the end of the fight with Neil even look like it's suppose to be an important one? I (playing as Claire) ending up button mashing to the bad ending

Excuse me for thinking it was like Resident Evil 6 where i just had to mash to not die while Player 2 actually does the saving, it's so dramatically appropriate too! Moira taking up a gun to save Claire's life and everthing,so poetic and what not

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Not to the extent of RE4, you basically just put in weapon mods that mess with weapon stats in different ways (more ammo,more damage,charge shots, etc) and every weapon has a certain amount of slots to put customization stuff in them.

The character upgrading with points you get from playing the levels has a surprising amount of options in it and is where you're gonna put the most of your points.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Guillermus posted:

Holy poo poo, I never noticed that there was a QTE switch on settings... :suicide:

It wasen't there originally, i believe they added it in at the same time they made Ada's campaign opened from the start and co-op.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Also Revelations 2's writing exists, the one episodic series i can think of that

1. Came out on a consistent schedule
2.Had writing that consistently topped itself from episode to episode.
3.Had good gameplay all the way through (splitscreen co-op player 1 bias showing through here, but still)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Enjoying my runthrough of the RE6 re-release when i get to the plane in Leon Chapter 3 and i noticed they changed the climbing controls?! It's just mashing a trigger now which is kinda lame. I understand that overall it was something most people didn't like it but it really isn't that bad, just kinda slow.

It just boggles my mind taht they would change that but keep split screen players having to share ammo.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Rukus posted:

Did you try out the 3D audio in the settings? With my HD558s it seemed to work well enough. The nice thing about VR using more accurate positional audio is that you can enjoy it without an HMD.

Ending(s?) spoilers: I'm guessing you got the back door key ending? I'm gonna play some more later, I've read checking out the trap-door room prior to the tape revealing it gets you some more items to interact with.

From what me and my brother have found Doing that just gets you the fuse that the fuse box is missing, which lets you go upstairs and get a slightly different ending

Also interesting is that it seems to make the backdoor key spawn you have to actually go through the entirety of video tape land, (which you're able to skip just by going into the menu, for those going through replays and tired of listening to those 2 jackasses talk) otherwise you kinda lock yourself into going into the spoiler territory above. Luckily you're not stuck if you do this since you can just rewatch the tape at any point anyway.

The search continues as to what to do with the drat mannequin finger though. :sigh: It kinda looks like you'd be able to examine it and be able to do something with it like in the old games but that doesn't seem to be the case. The one thing that's still really bothering me is In the attic right besides the phone that triggers the other ending is a photo of a helicopter with i guess the Umbrella logo on it?, don't know if looking at that triggers anything else in the house or maybe there's something else to it

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There will be combat, because there are options mentioning aim assist that are greyed out in the menu.

The axe is another weird thing since you can't really do anything with it other than break various thing around the house that have nothing in them. Unless it's just the developers confirming "don't worry we have combat in this game you're not just gonna be walking around waiting for jumpscares all the time"

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 14, 2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Were you playing on the higher difficulty mode from the start? That's kind of a bad idea since it's balanced around you having upgraded skills from the start.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Professional Mode in general is ridiculous from what i remember of playing it originally. 99% of attacks will put you in dying immediately so you have to stay glued to your goddamn partner. 1% will leave at almost dying.

Plus The El Gigante boss fight on Professional is the only reason me and my brother haven't gotten the Platinum Trophy on the PS3 version. He's just so bullshit hard.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I liked the QTE's though! I can't believe they casualised the amazing climbing QTE to just mashing a trigger instead of alternating and holding the the last pressed button down. I never had trouble with it once i went online and looked up exactly what the game wants you to do button-wise figured it out.

Joking aside i like how all the climbing QTE's in Leons story were clearly designed around you being kinda slow and deliberate like you were actually climbing a rope or whatever and when you just mash the triggers you'll leave whatever danger you're in far,far behind as you go slightly faster than the game ever intended you to.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Didn't Wesker only come back in the X re-release on the PS2? I thought he was absent from the original version?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

i remember getting the part in CVX where you get the medicine and getting stuck because i didn't they'd make you backtrack to the loving beginning of the game to help the man who looked like he had died off screen hours ago.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Are you dissing the brick? Because that's not wise.

The brick is stupidly powerful and i love it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

What was the way to get a super high score in Mercs mode in 6? I remember it's kinda like 5 where you want to melee/counter kill as many enemies as possible but then there's something about a special enemy that shows up?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It probably works better than Revelations 1's dodge mechanic worked, god that was finicky. Glad they just made a straight up dodge move in 2, a nice middle ground between that and the floor shenanigans you can get up to in 6.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

AFAIK trying to interrupt it with any attacks just causes the death scene to go full steam ahead, or at least that's what the result of a botched co-op 'plan' was. Seems you can only get out of it with the QTE.

No the other person straight up can't do anything while it's going and it's really annoying/hilarious that you can't help out in anyway other than throwing yourself into the QTE if you think you'd be better at it than the other person.

The game does that a lot i notice.There are a lot of "traps" where the game makes it look like you need to shoot something or dodge or whatever but in reality there's' nothing to do but wait and doing anything else is a waste of time/ammo. The best example is Leon Chapter 1 and those survivors you come across. I've seen so many different people across so many different playthroughs try to help the people out. Because of course, why wouldn't you? But they are just scripted animations, like when the old man falls off the roof, there's no interaction to try and help him up or anything, not even when they start getting pulled out of the bus at the end. You'd think you could jump out and go help him but it's just set dressing.

A shame they don't really do more with having lots of AI companions, ,you get a bit of it in Chris's levels in the flashback but it's not the same kind of idea since you're waiting on the explosives guy.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Not to mention the developers of Tomb Raider stating that they wanted the player to empathize with and want to protect Laura. Which is something you'd never hear Naughty Dog say about Nathan Drake or Joel for example. So the gruesome deaths and all the horrible ways she gets hurt throughout that whole game paints it more in a skeevy light.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

If that's actual gameplay then everybody will be complaining about the AI that can't see 5 feet in front of them, even with a light source.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Just tried out No Mercy Mercs in RE6 and WOW what a difference! It kinda sucks they didn't up the score requirements get S ranks so it's ridiculously easy but at the same time it's nice not having to play so super slow.

Is No Hope diffculty of the campaign even fun? I really hope it doesn't go the Professional mode of RE5 route where anything will put you into the down state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Doesn't 6 technically have a mode like that as well where one dude is Ustanak? Not that i've actually gotten to play it because the multiplayer modes are dead but it seems like it'd be interesting.