Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

thedaian posted:

If you want to try it out (it's still a bit buggy and early version and the art sucks), you can grab it here:

Hey! :arghfist::(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Red Mike posted:

Seconding this. Also, the text on the card seems weird for some reason. Some sort of scaling thing?

It looks like it's a hand-written sort of font, which probably doesn't scale too well.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Shalinor posted:

You need to do a 10 minute dubstep dance trailer of your little dudes doing nothing but randomly head bobbing like that.

I spent way too long on this. :negative:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

xzzy posted:

You're gonna make the freak gasoline fight accident next, right?

No. :colbert:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

retro sexual posted:

Changed up the cards to have only their backgrounds in their colour.

Don't be mad at me but would a more actually hand drawn look be better for the color? Like it was drawn in with colored pencil? It could still be small and tileable, maybe even used elsewhere.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

retro sexual posted:

Cheers for the suggestion, I think I agree with you. Do you mean instead of a flat fill, but only of the colour? So the colour should vary a bit and show some overlap lines, as if it had been done with a marker?

I found a good reference image (big):
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XGEBHFvMaVk/UK5M-4hud_I/AAAAAAAAAS4/SboYwQ57bp4/s1600/DrawingS2_ex1_1.JPG

See the set of 9 colours in a square at the very top left? That's kind of what I would prefer..

That's exactly what I mean! :D

Cause the rest of the graphics have an awesome hand drawn look to them, but the colored bits don't match the style.

If you want help I could try and make a nice seamless tileable hand drawn effect color swatch that you could palette swap for any color?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Awesome.

:3:

I would personally make the "cape" longer and have the caramel so it just covers the eyes, so it looks like the caramel was applied lopsided and gives the cape/mask look.

I agree, OR you could have the caramel just above the eyes to form a sort of eyebrow for expressions sake.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

TomR posted:

My game has been featured in an article: http://cliqist.com/2014/01/31/this-is-not-a-horse-sex-simulator/
I've never heard of this website though.

I backed you! Only 5 though, I'm not rich. :arghfist::(

Shalinor posted:

Then go the other way. Start by making a super stripped down universe exploration game that's fun. Add the spaceship construction stuff later.

I agree with this. Since this will technically be the most important part of the game (I assume at least), you'll want that to be actually fun first.

Hell, just having a cube flying around a procedurally generated universe with random planets and solar systems would be a HUGE first milestone.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 1, 2014

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

down with slavery posted:

God drat this game is an rear end in a top hat. Way to capture the spirit of Flappy Bird.

I laughed my rear end off a good five minutes "playing" this game, great job!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Also this is bugging me, not sure if you noticed or not.

I think your tracks are UNDER the ties.

edit: If those are train tracks? :confused:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

korusan posted:

Jesus Christ I can't believe I screwed that one up, thanks!

No problem. :D

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

DancingPenguin posted:

If anyone here wants to take a shot at the Ludum Dare Jam (The one with teams where you have 3 days instead of 2) hit me up in a PM or at dancingpenguinsa@gmail.com!
I personally really just do programming, so I suppose an artist would be best, but otherwise we could always make the world tremble before our programmer art :unsmigghh:

I fired you an awkward email.

Enjoy it! :)

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I'd opt to stay away from zbrush for a beginner. Mainly because its UI is so specialized and particular to zbrush (and ONLY zbrush) that it'll be hard to switch from it to a more standard 3d package.

And since zbrush doesn't do everything, you will have to switch to a different package (3ds max, lightwave, maya, etc.) to actually get your art into a game environment.

As far as I'm concerned, zbrush is only for high poly sculpture. So if you want to learn that, great, go for it, use zbrush.

However if you want a more balanced, and more importantly complete 3d package, go with an alternative above.

disclaimer: I really hate zbrush :ssh:

edit: and also I can't draw for poo poo but can still do reasonably decent 3d stuff. So you don't necessarily need 2d drawing or painting skills to learn 3d.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mr Underhill posted:

It's hard to get excited about pixel art when there's a veritable flood of it lately, but Coldrice your stuff rocks! I'm a fan.

Just wanted to say your game looks awesome and I'm sure I'll pitch in :20bux: for it. I'm really happy about the recent boom of 2d adventure games (Duke Grabowski, Paradigm, Dog Mendonça & Pizzaboy, Thimbleweed Park, etc.), and I look forward to yours. :D

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I think the frames are nice but they need a few clipped on the down swing to give the illusion of faster downward flap, like this:

On frame 5, I'd have a new frame drawn as a tween between 4 and 6, sort of a "wing resting/relaxed before next flap" thing.

Sorry I also tweaked the color a bit. :ssh:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

shimmy posted:

Hello world

Something I'd like to see (if this is based on a Star Trek aesthetic?) is something more streamlined in the 'rooms', and the real meaty machinery technical stuff behind the wall in a sort of hidden engineering passage.

The rooms look interesting, but they look a lot like empty rooms with some furniture put in. That'd be fine if this was an office building or something, but for a highly designed and no-wasted-space starship, it looks sort of odd. It should be either more wall panel type interactive displays, OR my previously suggested behind wall hidden (but still accessible) tech guts.

Or you could try increasing the size of your tech bits. There's some larger things I see which is great, but the smaller ones let it all down. It makes huge wasted areas.

Hope I'm not being too harsh. :ohdear: It does look cool, but it needs a bit of design tweaking.

edit: oh and something else you could do that a few games have done is assign room types to each room, and have corresponding wall texture and details that tie in and match the theme of the furnishings.

edit 2: ok last thing, would curved or 45 degree angled walls be too much to ask? :v:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 25, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Ah that makes sense then.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 25, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

poemdexter posted:

New art is starting to trickle in for Gravity Gunners. Here's the old and new Ms. Kittington.

I guess I'm the only one who prefers the original? :ohdear:

I don't like the high contrast colors and black outline, and I think it sort of looks like a dog now, with short thick body and broad shoulders. :(

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Locus posted:

*edit* Oh, duh, this page is a brilliant resource: http://simonschreibt.de/game-art-tricks/

Thanks for that also from me, great reading.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Hello. Can I interest you in 5 counts of Skeleton Immunity

I like it and it's really cute (as is the whole game), but I did a little tweak:

Your version as it is:

My slightly tweaked version:

I added the shield swung effect right at the frame when the skele makes contact, so it's more of a baseball like feel with the shield connecting with the skele, rather than the original which looks like she's swinging the shield away after the skeles gone flying.

I also added a couple frames of tweening for the shield 'stowed' and 'shield ready' states.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I doubt you'd find many good level designers who are fluent in UE4 and has knowledge of pacing and scripting and all that, as well as proficient in a modelling package and has an artistic eye for detail and modelling/texturing techniques.

That's just my opinion though. I think, more typically, they work in tandem to create levels, cooperatively.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

If I were you. I'd consider zooming the camera a lot tighter in on the car. It seriously looks like an RC car at this distance, especially with the oversized wheels.

If they are RC cars then good job. :D

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Oh ok then that's cool. :)

edit: In cockpit view?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

AntiPseudonym posted:

Hand animating physics is fun! :neckbeard:

That looks neat, any info?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Omi no Kami posted:

For those of you who do a lot of 3d modelling, do you find that 2d art skills are essential, or just extremely useful? I'm trying to build an animation and modelling curriculum for myself, and I'm waffling over whether or not investing the significant amount of time it would take to get basic drawing and figure sketching to a useful level would result in a serious improvement to my modelling, or if I should just say screw it, shun the visual, and focus on being a great programmer while relying on professional artists for guidance.

It really depends. On stylized 3d stuff, texture maps usually end up looking like paintings (look at WoW, LoL, or other heavy style games). So in those cases, having painting/drawing skills is very helpful. However on more realistic art, like CoD or Battlefield, there's little to no actual painting involved, in fact there are a number of programs that were developed to do most of the texturing work for the artist (Ddo, Substance Painter/Designer, etc.)

Drawing also comes in handy in the pre-vis stage when you're making sketches of character concepts. With a great concept, the sculpting work comes a lot easier because you have a good idea of what it should look like.

Figure drawing itself is also good for studying human form, something which a lot of your 3d models will probably incorporate one way or another.

However, saying all of that, in a good team of developers, there's usually no need for any one person to be able to handle a lot of different aspects of art production. Basically there aren't many jack-of-all-trades, a lot of developers specialize in particular areas and excel in them, rather than being barely adequate in all different techniques.

Hope that helps.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 1, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Dirty posted:

Gratuitous bloom shot:

Seperated at birth? :v:

Great screenshot though.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
While everyone's advice regarding Pig's character is legit, I think the biggest worst problem is there seems to be a frame missing where he brings his left leg forward.

As it is now, the leg, after he lifts his foot off from behind him, teleports to the front of him for the next step. If there was a single frame in between with a better transition for the leg's movement, I think it would clarify a lot of the problems.

Basically you're missing the middle of the walk cycle. You've got the first third (foot raised up, makes contact with ground, begins to take all the weight), and the last third (shifts weight off back foot, foot leaves ground, knee bends), but no middle (knee continues swing around, lower leg kicks out to form a straight line with upper leg, foot is angled ready to make contact with ground).

So if you do redraw the sprite with all the above advice, don't forget to add the middle step for the legs.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Pigmassacre posted:

This is basically a 25 minute tweak, but I personally think it looks much better:

Yup a lot better, great job. :D

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Pigmassacre posted:

Well, this is pretty much were we're at right now:

The only thing I'd do in such a limited time frame is hue shift his leafy shoulders to something perhaps a bit browner, because right now it blends in to the grass tiles.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Shalinor posted:

No. I told a funny story about how dick detection is expensive, and then the press spun a closure story from whole cloth, loosely themed around my tweets. ;)

There were precisely two stories that got it right, and only one that used it to start a general moderation discussion akin to my tweets. The rest re-reported those, spinning in the "AND THIS IS WHY" narrative for click bait.

I'm surprised there's a story at all really, considering you could only build on your private lot, and it was invitation only as far as I can recall. It wasn't like Second Life where dongs were flying all over the skies or something, you had to go to someones home (with their permission) and look around to see *any* custom builds of any kind.

Frankly I'm surprised there was that much resources spent on something like that, considering the minuscule area of the game that had the opportunity for such shenanigans. Surely some sort of legal agreement at first subscription/log-in would have sorted everything out (LEGO is not liable for any and all privately created works on player's plots, etc.).

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 3, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Atarask posted:

So as a little update on the space strategy game I'm working on, Lord of Rigel. Here's some pics of our aquatic species the Selach and how they're coming along.

This didn't get enough love; I think it looks awesome. I really like the water dome areas, very cool stuff. Only worry I have is the fish race itself, trout don't look too intelligent to me. They should be more cetacean; dolphins or whales or something, but maybe that's just me. :shobon:

Nition posted:

Funny thing is that chunky low-res screenshot actually looks better to me in some ways than a high-res version:

I always thought that was because low-res sort of hides the lack of polygon fidelity, and lets you use your imagination to fill in the gaps. In the second screenshot you can clearly see the polys of the weapon, the poor texture, etc. But in the first one it *could* be a really nice gun, albeit a low-res one.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

mutata posted:

Is still rather go with their monthly rent to own model at that price.

I'm hoping at Christmas they'll be 40-60% off again, like last year.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

drat skippy, very nice work.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Steampunk_Spoon posted:

Screenshot saturday time!

Looks nice, but is it weird I prefer the isometric and lower-res old version more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Sigma-X posted:

Then all the more reason to grow a pair about it :shrug:

I assumed the reason he's miffed is because they guy says it's a good game, but still gives it a negative review for some reason.

It'd annoy the heck out of me as well, because it's apparently an undeserved blemish on his otherwise 100%* positive game. This isn't just some guy saying the game is dumb or some other negative criticism, that would be ok. This person said it's a "lovely" and "beautiful" game that he "liked a lot", but it's still a negative review for seemingly no reason at all.

edit: nearly 100% positive*

edit two:
This is also correct.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 30, 2015