Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Quiet Feet posted:

This leads me to believe that A: Nobody who owns a Dreamcast owns fewer than two (and most own more), and B: Dreamcasts are fragile and should never be struck, handled, played with or looked at lest they break.

I don't know, I own one and have only owned one. I once took it apart to use the shell for a Typing of the Dead costume and it worked after I put everything back in. Haven't powered it up in a few years though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Is this really true? That leaving game consoles plugged in when not used uses a lot of electricity?

It's not like a ton of power or anything but if you have a bunch of retro bricks plugged in you're probably looking at something like 20-60W overall. The old wall-warts are linear power supplies so they have large transformers first that dissipate relatively large amounts of current as waste heat. Even while a load is connected they aren't particularly efficient and still waste at least as much (but at least you're using the actual current). Modern-style switching power supplies are usually substantially more efficient, and the much smaller transformer leads to much smaller losses due to resistance. There's no getting around waste if it's plugged in, but typically it's around a factor of 10 difference compared to linear supplies.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Antillese posted:

This means that Kris Kross is retro game music.

Of course Kris Kross is retro game music.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Quiet Feet posted:

what are the sports games that are still fun and/or worth buying even if you're not a sports nut?

Virtua Tennis (any on Dreamcast)

I haven't played any since VT2 but man, my friends and I would play that drat game for hours and hours. Kafelnikov to serve.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Hogscraper posted:

It has to do with screen response time and the latency that picture processing adds from the time the signal is generated until it's actually displayed on the screen. There are some ultra fast LED TVs out there that are fast enough to work with a Zapper and most plasma displays are inherently fast by nature of their design and most of those work with a Zapper.

The Zapper won't work with LCDs and most plasma screens because it has a bandpass filter on its input centered around 15KHz; this is what prevents you from pointing at a lightbulb and scoring hits, and since even hidef CRTs may have a faster scan frequency the hit will be filtered out. I don't know the specifics of why a GunCon won't work as it depends on the scanlines delivered to the TV, but that's definitely why a Zapper won't.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

No; I've been told it's literally impossible.

If I'm reading the schematics right (and according to the posts by Bearking here), it looks like the Genesis needs B10 and B30 grounded to enter SMS mode. B30 is no big deal but B10 is an address line for the CPU. I don't have the time right now to look around but it seems likely that with the 32x installed it puts either its own boot code or cart ROM into its own memory region which depends on A22 functioning normally and not having ground asserted.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I also see what you said about the Dreamcast, but if that was the case, why did the early games require boot discs? This stuff is so interesting for some reason. :allears:

The early pirate DC games came before the Utopia disc was fully understood; later ones had the boot code injected directly into the disc image so they didn't need the boot disc.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Not one bit. That TAS, and most TASes, uses frame-specific movements and inputs done by pausing and unpausing an emulator one frame at a time.. Normal speedruns can also have frame-specific movements but those are like, hitting one button on one frame in a 1-second animation, not literally changing inputs every other frame.

Though it depends on what you mean by "real console" as a guy has made an arduino snesbot that plays back the recorded input as real controller data to a console. A real human can't do it of course, but that glitch has been shown to work on a console: http://youtu.be/wE94C3wzJ9M

E: I think NES and SNES are the few consoles that sort of thing works for though. Until recently there were basically no cycle-accurate emulators for other systems, and even bsnes will desync with some addon chips (superfx, sa1, cx4).

parasyte fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 11, 2013

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Also, thanks to everyone who replied with the TAS info for Super Mario World. I was just wondering if that crazy thing where in the underground he causes all of those fish to appear is possible to recreate. These speedruns are a lot less fun knowing the truth. :(

SDA has tons of people doing frame-accurate tricks in games in physical systems so I'd assume it's possible to spawn fish with the P-Switch for a human. The impossible part comes when you spawn 10+ of them and carefully keep track of the exact number of times they have bounced.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Because it's got that huge knob, I've fashioned it in a way that I can turn down/off the expansion audio. What I was mostly curious about was what side-effects this might have on other carts if I leave the expansion audio on.

What the mod does is bridge an unused pin on the cart connector (EXP6) to the audio output line. Actually this is not quite true as MMC5 can use EXP6 to output sound, but while MMC5 carts do have that pin present on the connector none of the USA-released games make use of the audio. You can see the difference if you compare a MMC5 game like Laser Invasion or even Castlevania III to a game using a different mapper, like your Kabuki Quantum Fighter; the backside of the MMC5 boards has a pin in the center expansion area on the back of the PCB where the MMC3 board does not.

Since the pin normally is not connected in retail NES carts the wire is left floating. It's possible that the buzz you hear is simply electrical noise from the inside of the NES being picked up by the wires attached to your pot. It looks like some carts do have all pins present on the connector though, and the TMNT example you used earlier looks like at least one boardhas all pins present on the connector even if they aren't hooked up, which will probably make the antenna effect worse.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Have you ever felt like awesome NES games just didn't look enough like unlicensed clones? A new NES emulator, HDNes, is for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N57ApspYHVE

Looks like my Everdrive-NES is in the USA now, looking forward to it. Need to find the AC adapter for my front-loader though, and also the controllers. Also see if it works and maybe make my CIC disable mod cleaner; years ago I clipped pin 4 but I don't think I ever tested it afterwards. Even if it does work I'll probably want to solder that to GND.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Well drat. Looks like I'm saving up for an SD2SNES then. I didn't know the compatibility issues were such a problem still. X2/X3, Star Fox, and SMRPG are some of the games I really wanted. Oh well. I think I'll hold off on the SNES one then until some of that stuff gets ironed out. The Everdrive MD however sounds good, and my Genesis collection is non-existent right now, so I won't feel bad about buying it. :haw:
The list of games at the bottom of this Wikipedia article is the list of games that won't work on a Super Everdrive. Of those, the DSP-1 games can work if you add a DSP-1 chip onto the device, though this requires either a pass-through cart and a game that's not Pilotwings, or the desoldering of a DSP1 from a formerly working game.

SD2SNES still does not simulate SuperFX, SA-1, or a few other chips. It does have support for all DSP variants and the Cx4 chip used in MMX2/X3. SuperFX is being worked on but is a lot to do so progress has been slow. ikari believes the FPGA he's using should be able to do SA-1, and if it can be done it should be easier than implementing the SuperFX, but he isn't going to work on that until SFX is done and it is possible that SA-1 may never work on his hardware.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 15, 2013

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

DeathBySpoon posted:

You know, I always wondered if this would work. This particular one looks like rear end, but I DO like the idea of emulating an NES game under the hood, but replacing all of the drawing with custom code. It's like those Dwarf Fortress visualizers, but for the NES.

There's also an SMS emulator called HiSMS that supports the same. In theory it's a lot like Dolphin and the N64 emulators that came prior; in those textures are dumped then remade at a higher resolution, while in these emulators tilemaps are dumped and remade at a higher resolution. Palette effects make that somewhat more complicated than it sounds however.

Copper Vein posted:

You can use a model 1 genesis ac adapter on your NES if you have one.

1. I was a deprived child (not really) and never had a Genesis even though my friends down the block had one.
2. Holy poo poo, you mean more than just the NES took 9V AC?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Copper Vein posted:

Kinda. The Toaster's brick still output's AC power, which is why it should never be used with anything else ever.

The NES itself rectifies the AC into DC for internal use, so feeding it DC in the first place is ok, regardless of polarity.

Also that Genesis brick outputs over 9v anyway. Rated voltage is nearly never actual voltage especially with old adapters like these.

Edit: Also the Atari Jaguar uses the exact same adapter as the model 1 Genny.

Oh okay I should have thought of that actually. Looking at a rectifier schematic again makes that pretty obvious. And yeah I know never to trust a linear power supply to deliver its rated voltage except under enough load.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Wait; there's no way to play Kirby's Air Ride or MK: DD over the internet using a private server, is there?

If both ends have Warp Pipe installed you can. It does work, but not as well as you'd hope. For the most part connections are good but any delayed or dropped packets will cause slowdown and other issues.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Quidnose posted:

What is that Totoro-esque DS game?

It's Ni no Kuni.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Xir posted:

I just placed an order with retrogate for a Super Everdrive. What have I done?

:retrogames:

I at least partially blame this thread for this. I would never have known about the flash carts if I hadn't read about them here. That said, how hard is it to add a DSP-1 onto the board?

Krikzz put up a tutorial on the first half here :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pVPg8ZJ_2c

It looks like a pretty easy job to solder it back in honestly, the pins on those chips are pretty wide and pretty widely spaced as well. The comic here covers what you need to know if you've never soldered before.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

flyboi posted:

Why is he using a gas stove :psypop:

It's not like he'll be using the board again.

I should point out that he desolders 3 things because you'll need all 3: the DSP-1 itself, the 74HCU04 inverter, and the clock generator. All of them need to be soldered to the board. Some carts don't have a 74HCU04; in that case you'd need to get one of your own.

Looks like I need to get a scaler at some point; I finally found an adapter to power my NES (an old Linksys router adapter that put out 9vAC, interestingly enough) and while it works connected to my TV, my receiver really does not like the signal it puts out even a little. It's offset horizontally by half and the video comes out all black and white. Fun stuff.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Frustrated, I dig around to see maybe if I have something because I don't want to have to waste another week waiting for a completely different power adapter that may or may not work.

Anyway, the only possible thing I found was this:

Will this work? I'm guessing not because it's 300mA? Also worrying me is I cannot tell which image means center polarity, so I have no idea which direction to flip the switch.

Jesus, you're making GBS threads me; 50% efficiency at best? drat. Don't bother plugging that in. Looks like at 9V it'll give about 400mA which is nowhere near enough; the Duo's stock adapter is 10V 1000mA looks like? With a bad linear supply like that it'd probably undervolt before frying itself (or shutting itself down) and you don't particularly want that.

It does look like the right part of the polarity image is the center pin from the diagram but again please don't plug that in. E: Also don't you have a multimeter somewhere? Feels like almost a prerequisite of getting into retro gaming on real hardware. Negative voltage means the part your red probe is touching is ground, normal voltage means it's hot.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 20, 2013

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Please don't yell at me :ohdear:

This is what I have:

How would I test the adapter I bought on eBay with this thing? There's so many drat options.

Put the dial at the 20 near 10 o'clock, by the V with a straight and dashed line over it. Plug your red probe into the red hole labelled VΩ and the black probe into the black hole labelled COM. Touch the red probe to the inside/center of the adapter and the black probe to the outside/sleeve of the adapter. The number indicated is the volts it's putting out; it's ok if this is a bit high because there's no load on the adapter. If the number is positive, then it's center positive. If the number is negative, it's center negative.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 21, 2013

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

fatpat268 posted:

I now have an everdrive md, everdrive n8, and a mega everdrive on its way. I'll probably sell the md on sa mart as soon as I get the mega-ed.

Yeah well now I have a SD2SNES uh... whenever Krikzz gets more FPGAs. As long as he's taking my money though it's good.

Now I just need to acquire a working SNES. Seems easier than finding a SD2SNES though!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Dreamcast talk makes me really want to figure out where the hell my Dreamcast went. It's probably hiding out with my NES controllers.

Since my NES Everdrive came in, does anyone play romhacks much? I'd like to know if some great ones exist. I already know about Mario Adventure and Zelda Outlands, is there anything else really cool to try?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

I am so loving tempted to get this, seriously.

What can and can't I play on this?

Looks like it's gone now, was it you?

You can play: all Japanese HuCards for PC-Engine, all PCE-CD games and all TG16-CD games (original or burned) though you will need an arcade card or arcade card duo for some of them.

You can't play: SuperGrafx games, TG-16 HuCards - I think there is an adapter for US Duos/TG16s to play JP games, but not the other way around.

If you get one of these it can do anything. e: except play cd games of course, still need originals or burned copies.

E: Altered Beast CD requires system card 1.0, which the Everdrive can do if you really want.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 25, 2013

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

iastudent posted:

Get ready to blow the tops off your toadstools. Today is the 20th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. movie.

Someone (Disney) missed the loving boat on putting out a Blu-ray of it today. I would buy that disc so hard.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

The Turbo Everdrive has a region switch on it, as do doujindance's modded systems. So, really, it's just a matter of making sure the settings match up.

Unrelated, I got my Turbo Everdrive today and a good portion of the ROMs are not working on it? If I flip the switch that's in my modded Duo-R one way I get a completely white screen. If I flip it the other way, I get a screen, but a good half of the ROMs will not work. None of the Bonk's Adventure games work. They are all in .PCE format, and I updated to the newest OS. Please don't tell me I need to ship this thing back to Russia?

I'm not sure which ROM set you have, but it's possible some (or all) of the US region files are bitswapped and the Everdrive is sending them as-is. You can try using uCON64 with the -pce -swap options on a game that isn't working and see if that solves the problem. Make sure the switches on both the Turbo-ED and the Duo-R are set to PCE mode to simplify things.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Edison Carter posted:

Sooo, by any chance, can someone point me in the direction of what I possibly have here? Thanks!

Looks like an Xecuter 2 Pro. The parallel port is for flashing the BIOS on the chip without needing the XBox to be on, in case you need to recover it. The blue dipswitch block is bank select - 4 enables/disables flash protect. The black dipswitch enables the chip (to the left) or disables it. If it works as is there's no real need to change anything.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

japtor posted:

I have a feeling I'll run into the "sign into Xbox live" dialog and be screwed, they might be on the console but they're still tied to the user account.

Xbox 360 content is locked individually for both the first console it's installed on and the profile that bought it, so the console can play it no matter who is logged in.

Original Xbox DLC is locked solely to the console that it was purchased on (whether Xbox or 360), which means I'll never be able to play a legit version of the Halo 2 map packs I've bought again - my 360 red-ringed after old-Live went down so the content, while still on the hard drive, is useless.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Vegastar posted:

Thankfully pretty much everything made without a disk drive is essentially immortal with some basic cleaning and emergency soldering skills. It'll be a sad thing when the day comes there's not a functional Sega CD left in the world, but my gameboys and nintendo consoles will never die.

Even the disk drive issue could eventually be solved with an optical drive emulator, though yes the original discs couldn't be played.

Carts will eventually fail. Mask ROM is the most durable of the types of ROM but even so it's just made of transistors like any other chip, and transistors can fail; though it's more likely the chips doing work in any given retro console will die first. The lifetime is still limited - hot carrier injects, dielectric breakdown, and electromigration can all happen to the NMOS/CMOS transistors and traces. At least one person has had a cart fail on them.

Most PROMs are basically flash memory and will eventually get bit-rot, though they're seen more in arcade boards and prototype carts but there are examples of some retail games using PROM.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

al-azad posted:

Hellraiser didn't come out on NES, why am I not surprised?

The story on it is told through interviews here; basic gist is that they were going to do something awesome with a Z80 in a cart but it would have been expensive and nobody would carry the game, because it wasn't going to be Nintendo licensed. At the same time they discovered Christian bookstores would carry any Christian game they could make, so it was an easy decision to drop it very early in the prototype stage and switch gears. At the end no programming was done, just the Z80 and some art.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

univbee posted:

They are game copiers, basically these were how you copied SNES games when the SNES was new. They are a colossal pain to get working and will probably require poo poo like 3.5" floppy disks, parallel cables etc., you're better off getting your fix from krikzz unless you're specifically curious about them.

This is also where the weird poo poo like SMD and SMC and SWC came from, interleaved ROM formats and all kinds of other fascinatingly bizarre things.

They are really nifty devices but yeah, if you aren't fascinated by how they work and don't have any desire to try to get them working to play games off of a 3.5" floppy, pass them up.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Yes to all of those, with the major thing being the size of the games it will support. It will support gargantuan games like Star Ocean, but it will go further and support games up to 4GB in size (this is not a typo). People have already hacked CD-based games onto the SNES. One example is Chrono Trigger with the PS1 FMVs. There's also talk that the Satellaview could be brought back to life on it.

Get the SD2SNES. Please trust me on this.

A counterpoint [full disclosure: my SD2SNES is in the mail on the way to me right now]:
The SD2SNES, today, gives you support for seven more licensed games than a Super Everdrive with a DSP-1 installed:
Megaman/Rockman X2 and X3
Dungeon Master
SD Gundam GX
Top Gear 3000
Dai Kaiju Monogatari 2
F1 ROC II: Race of Champions

It does also give you the ability to play FMV/CDDA hacked games, as well as support for the hacked and ROM expanded Star Ocean translation, and the loading is much, much faster than an Everdrive or Powerpak.

It's potentially possible that it can support the 8 SuperFX games, but it is definitely harder than ikari first thought. ikari also believes the FPGA can support the SA-1 which will add another 26 games, but it's not a sure thing that it can, so don't count on either of these.

Is that worth an extra $110 to you? For me it was.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

jyrque posted:

A game I played a lot as a kid: Werewolf: The Last Warrior. You play as a guy who can't fight for poo poo until he turns into a werewolf with blade arms. It's either really difficult or really lovely because I don't remember ever completing it.

:black101:

My favorite (least favorite) part of that game is that the buttons are loving reversed from normal, so B jumps and A attacks. Somehow that's what I remember most about it from having rented it like once, 20 years ago.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

flyboi posted:

Strange, looking at the APU pinout along with the schematic it "should" work as it taps directly into the DSP data line. The Super Gameboy is a special flower in that it has a gameboy built into it and the audio is piped to two pins that normally are used for things like SA-1/SFX/DSP-1/etc so it probably does something funky with that where it somehow skips the S-DSP and magically ends up at the DAC with the S-DSP lines. I'll blame magnets. Would make sense though because the SGB actually outputs analog audio and if you so choose you can make a line-output from the cartridge itself with a headphone jack.

So what's happening is clear in this schematic: http://console5.com/techwiki/images/8/8b/SNES-Schematic-Audio-DSP.png

The lower right region has the actual audio output. S-DSP outputs from 42,43,44 to a DAC, which outputs to a filter circuit that joins the audio out bus. On the right side, there's some inputs which come from a filter circuit joined to the EXT port and the cartridge connector. That means the cart and EXT audio are both mixed in after the signal has been converted to analog.

This means if the Satellaview was still functional it also wouldn't play audio through the S/PDIF mod since the broadcast audio would come from the EXT port.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Exactly yeah. Cart 31 and 62 are pure analog and go through a filter to join the output from the internal DAC, while SGB enhanced games have SNES code that does interface with the SPC. I definitely could not find a schematic on how the SGB is wired up internally but since the Game Boy's CPU has the sound synthesizer built in, it's definitely the case that the GB audio goes through the cart pins and bypasses the SPC.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Chainclaw posted:

Could you run this on an Everdrive 64? This would be the sort of thing that would push me to ordering one.

It looks like it should be possible; I don't have an ED64 to test with though. Custom levels have been played on real hardware, but I couldn't tell you if this one respects the limits of the N64 enough to run on a real one.

There's a Kakariko Village hack as well.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Yay, my SD2SNES came earlier than I expected!

Also, my mailman apparently now thinks we're in contact with communists, as this is the second package in a month that's come from the Ukraine.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

They mean you have a lovely Goodtools set. Good kept every version of a ROM that ever passed by, so you have a lot of [b] [b1] [a2] [o] going on, when all that really means is 2 bad dumps, an alternate, and an overdump (which would be a good dump in the absence of a b, but usually has a chip or two in twice or four times).

[!] are "verified" good dumps and the only ones you really need.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Xir posted:

So my Super Everdrive came in and I'm excitedly trying to get ready for the FFV Four Job Fiesta. However, when I apply the english patch to the FFV ROM I can no longer play the game. It fades to a black screen and plays music after the title flies into the screen. Any ideas on how to fix that, by chance?

One of two things is happening here since the FFV translation is very old.

1) You patched a non-headered ROM and the patch was for a ROM with a header (the converse is unlikely to be true as most ROMs had copier headers back in 1998). The solution would be to use uCON64 or NSRT to add a header to the original and re-patch. But since it did get to the title screen, this may not be the problem.

2) The FFV translation expands the ROM, but does not adjust the internal SNES header to match the new size. The Everdrive loads 16mbit into RAM as per the header, but all the RPGe script is past that since it expands the game to 24mbit. The solution is to correct the header. If the byte at 0xffd7 is 0x0b, then change it to 0x0c. If that byte was not 0x0b, then instead check 0x101d7 to see if that byte is 0x0b; if it is, then change it to 0x0c.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

cooler sound chips, and that's where we C64 types will be. :v:

Though honestly who needs a sound chip anyway?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW2XKSWUPLw

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Midnight Raider posted:

I think the only real downside would be that it still wouldn't play the extra musical effects in games like Castlevania III and Mr. Gimmick, I think.

Though while you're in there you may as well do that mod too, since that's easier than soldering in a Famicom connector anyway.

Krikzz is making 60->72 converters now so even if you can't find a bare connector you can desolder one of his.

In other news, I discovered my receiver is much more willing to talk with my SNES than my NES, which neatly reverses that problem (my NES gets along with my TV, but my SNES looks like rear end on it). This is a 2chip so it'll never look great, though I'm wondering how it might be if I can component mod the thing.

This SD2SNES is pretty cool, though apparently it doesn't like where I put the DSP data files because those games aren't working. E: Aha, it wanted them to be named .bin and not .rom.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

RadicalR posted:

Hey now, the 3DO had games to be played.... I can't think of any off hand, but I'm SURE there was something playable.

There's the port of SSF2 he includes there, which was one of the best home ports of the game. Of course for the money you're really better off getting a supergun and a matching CPS2 board and game.

For the most part anything worth playing was ported to other systems or even at the time simultaneously released for PC.

• Locked thread