Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Oooo, is this allowed and stuff and the powers that be aren't going to get pissy and close it?
(Yay not feeling like everything needs to be changed to 'uh... a person came in'.. it was worth it for the puppy though)

I see your printers and raise you label printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
As long as people print emails, there will never be a paperless office.

Until some form of tablet/reader is just as perfectly light and easy to hold, read and flick through as paper, people will always print emails. (and other stuff they want to read, show people etc). In fact it also needs to be just as easy to "show others" a document as giving handouts in a meeting, really.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
I'm going to be nice for a change.

poo poo that doesn't piss me off: dealing with the company's founder and ex chairman (who stood down as he's now in his 80s or thereabouts, but still does some stuff here). Okay, so he's a little bit of an oldschool fat cat.. massive mansion, collection of Rolls Royces and grand pianos, the very stereotype of upper class rich person, really. But what a gentleman. Eh, he's earned it, we're still going after half a lifetime after all.

Always remembers everyone's names even if they've only been here a couple of days

Asks how you're doing, are you happy, are things going well, and seems to genuinely care about the answer

Called me up earlier just after 12, "have I caught you on your lunch? Come up later if I have, don't worry, it can wait" (nope, mine's a little later, but you know what, he's one of the few people where I'd say "yes but it's ok, as it's you, I'll quickly help out now"). Attitude makes all the difference with me. An entitled "I know you're on lunch but I want your help right now" will get a no and a shoo or a grudging low-effort participation depending on whether you're one of the guys who's involved with my salary or not. The more humble the approach, the more decent you are to work with day-to-day and the better justified it is to me (if you feel it'd be a big disadvantage to have to wait), the more likely I am to be nice and help out. I guess it's kind of like putting emails as low priority.

Says thank you. Catches you again later in the day to say it's still working fine and thank you again.

Used to put his foot down when making decisions that were important to him, but that's just good leadership and I've never, ever seen him get angry at anyone or dismiss anyone's opinions as invalid or in the least bit unvalued.

Respects and appreciates the work we do, and back when he was more involved he kept any criticism constructive, justified and favoured suggestions and offers of training or assistance if he felt there was room for improvement (over the current people's approach of "you suck at this, we'll take that responsibility off you and pay someone else to do it")

Hadn't realised how much I miss that guy being in charge, and that kind of "friendly, respectful and appreciative of your efforts" culture we used to have.

/nostalgia

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lum posted:

So reading between the lines. Your good boss has gone and your place is now a shithole that is pissing you off daily?

Just to bring this thread back up to the required level of cynicism.

Hah :D

The other top boss is reasonable enough to me (though not to everyone. I think he's given up trying to have a PA. They all used to come into our office and vent about his tantrums, and mysteriously disappear one day!) but the problem is he comes with a family and I'm pretty sure they all watch BBC Apprentice. So the culture has shifted more towards bitching, finger-pointing and the "if we act happy about anyone's work they won't improve" philosophy

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lum posted:

gently caress the Apprentice, and gently caress Alan Sugar. Anyone who has ever had the misfortune of using an Amstrad product should know that whatever his business processes may achieve, they will not produce a quality product.

I never figured out how they stayed profitable when they were churning out stuff like this

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lum posted:

Ahahaha, that loving thing.

How they sold that was "suitable for old people", so that people who couldn't be bothered to buy grandma a Windows 95 machine, and then spend an eternity fixing it, could buy one of those so they could avoid having to handwrite letters to gran.

I seem to remember toying with the idea, getting an image in my mind of her squinting over her glasses and prodding the little keys trying to figure it out (as she does with the TV remote, oh boy the TV remote) and came to the conclusion that most of the older generation just aren't really cut out for that sort of thing, whether it involves a clunky Microsoft OS or not :)

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Agrikk posted:

Sex filter

That's what you get for visiting expert-sexchange.com!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Nemo2342 posted:

Some days it really feels like that's the case. WebSense seems to randomly pick pages on SA to block for me.

I'd complain, but I don't want to explain why I am on SA at work in the first place.

If I didn't have control over everything from my desktop out to the internet, I'd be pretty scared about using SA at work. Given how much I've vented about them, with some ventings being very personal towards some very high up people, I don't think my career would take a very positive turn if it was all being quietly logged by some web sense thing somewhere...

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Frayed Macbook charger cable update: Apple's answer was "so what, it's out of warranty, £65 for a replacement"

Really I disagree, I've never abused the cable in the slightest, it's a potential fire hazard and IMO it's nowhere near fair wear and tear under the sale of goods act. Warranty has nothing to do with it, it's my statutory rights as a consumer. Not worth the hassle of dragging them to court though and they know it..
Even if it had been under warranty, they insist upon a pre-booked appointment and then it's "at the genius's discretion" whether they'd replace it even then. Having seen also how many of those Lightning cables for the iPhone stop working after a few months with them demanding £16 for a bit of wire every time, they can shove it.

Where does this accessory greed get them - I doubt my next mobile or computing device will be Apple after this, and I'm inclined to suggest Samsungs for our next mobile refresh at work.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 29, 2013

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
More Apple poo poo that pisses me off

Every time it does this, it's 6 hours or so to recreate the backup from scratch.

I wonder if duplicity's available or something...

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lum posted:

I'm now imagining this song only with the line changed to "What does the frog say".

Ring ding ding dinga dinga ding ding
Doooooooooooong

Naturally!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lum posted:

Oh gently caress.

You didn't.

*downloads that song, and one of the crazy frog remixes, fires up virtual DJ*

I hate you.

Not as much as you hate yourself, I'm sure. :)

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lum posted:

Well it turns out that the two songs don't mix as well as I thought, and it worked best when I put in less effort. So here is a quick and dirty cut I threw together in 10 minutes in Virtual DJ. Couldn't get the video to sync :(

Posting it here because it's thanks to you fucks that this even exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB05ShKnESk

Ahahahah you really did
It's... it's beautiful.....

(in a "10 deaths in Eastenders" kind of way) :D

Clearly my standards are different as I thought that was quite well mixed

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lum posted:

This post totally not a shameless plug for my mashups, erm.. gently caress printers. see!

Clearly you need to mashup something with "gently caress" and something with "printers", is there a song anywhere with printers in the lyrics? :P

teethgrinder posted:

The Apple Store has ... wasted weeks of time, and keeps insisting it's the loving RAM. There's official Apple RAM in there now, again, and the loving problem is still happening. They seem absolutely determined to not replace the motherboard for some reason. I'm really frustrated. Their communication has been utter poo poo, and I keep getting the runaround trying to deal with it. In two weeks of trying to get it fixed, I dealt with over ten employees, all telling me different stuff, most of it wrong. They also apparently LOST the RAM we gave it to them with so they were forced to just give us the official Apple stuff they were testing with.

As for phones, I recently repaired an office Samsung Note II with parts from Hong Kong ... ecstatic with how easy to service that thing was. I couldn't imagine trying to dissemble an iPhone.

Sounds like they used to be good but things have gone downhill a bit, which correlates with my experiences. I previously became a bit of an Apple fanboy for a reason - not too many years ago they were in my opinion genuinely ahead of the game (in the early iPhone and Snow Leopard era) and very helpful if you needed anything. Then they just seem to have stagnated, mostly preferring to concentrate their resources on putting authentication chips in their cables so they can maximise profits on those, and becoming more consumer-hostile than Microsoft's XBox division (but without the back-pedalling, as they've inherited Jobs's stubbornness).

Glad to know the Note 2 is easy to repair, that's what I have. Brilliant phone, I couldn't bring myself to go back to iPhone screen sizes now, or not being able to change the keyboard or the half hearted iOS7 implementation of SBSettings etc. As much as I enjoy iOS's frameworks and Apple's tendency to force developers to use them instead of doing their own thing (a positive side to their control freak nature IMO) things are just too far behind in other ways now.
Plus I love being able to change the battery.
Samsung phones are plastic, but I like that - I'm not constantly worrying about getting marks on it that slash the resale value, and the whole back can be replaced in 10 seconds for next to nothing.

theperminator posted:

I've had this same issue a few times now, I eventually found this guide on how to fix the sparsebundle though and it works for me.

That's awesome, thanks for the pointer!

I did google it a few months ago and found that it was probably down to the open source AFP implementation not properly supporting some changes that came with Mountain Lion. Investing in a Synology for my NAS paid off for the umpteenth time as I found an update with the latest netatalk on it, but alas, it didn't help after all. Hopefully this will sort it. As dangerous and bad-practice as it is (my personal stuff, my risk), I'm tempted to just put an auto-repair on a daily cron job...

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 30, 2013

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Yay! The Time Machine fix worked!

Though it will no doubt corrupt again soon enough. Carbon Copy Cloner looks like a decent alternative, but I don't think it'll encrypt the destination unless it's a direct clone. Duplicity is available so that's always an option.

Hehe, nice efforts :D

What you say is true, the less it's worked on the better, oddly enough it seems to work better with the original version without the video IMO. Dunno why, maybe simplicity is part of its froggy charm.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Could always leave something like this on their screen

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Maneki Neko posted:

Good news everybody!

Couldn't you have said "everyone"? You caused me to start hearing that in Professor Farnsworth's voice, and then it kind of squeaked out into a body. I demand a refund on my hearing-this-in-my-voice experience, please do the needful.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Haha, our place can be so petty.

They're spending goodness knows how many tens of thousands of pounds doing a refurb job, but in the canteen are notices that the drinks facilities are for staff only, not for the contractors. Sorry builder boys, you're gonna have to sort out your own goddam tea! A mug of that stuff costs us like £0.10, we're not made of money!

To add actual IT content, erm..
unpredictable backups-to-tape running on an ancient version of Backup Exec on ancient unpredictable hardware. Will it take 4 hours today or 8? Only way to find out is wait for the results!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, many times per week I get calls where users say, "hey, I just got X software, can you show me how to do X task?"

It's annoying.

"Please learn this software for me so you can teach me how to use it"

And read the manual for them when they forget how to do something etc.

Yeah, that gets old.

I know some people learn more efficiently via example, and so in a way our role is translator from the "nerdy" method of reading the instructions to hand held baby steps, but people seem literally completely incapable of even considering looking at written instructions themselves.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Commercial software, 25 licenses (login based software+licensing), about 27-30 people frequently want to use it.

There's this tug of war that's been going on in the 3 years that we've had it:

:supaburn: People are constantly getting "license count exceeded" messages, please reduce the auto-disconnect to 30 minutes!

a couple of months later

:supaburn: Everyone is getting pissed off with getting disconnected if they walk away for 30 minutes, we must increase the timer to 75!

a couple of months later

:supaburn: People are constantly getting "license count exceeded" messages, please reduce the auto-disconnect to 60 minutes!

a couple of months later

:supaburn: Everyone is getting pissed off with getting disconnected if they walk away for 30 minutes, we must increase the timer back up to 75!

repeat ad infinitum

Just buy more licenses dammit, you bloody tightarses :argh:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
So true with cc. I just reply-all to cover my arse but surely it causes a lot of clutter.

Did a walk around yesterday. It's supposed to be good service. In fact everyone was just WHAT DO YOU WANT WHY AREN'T YOU IN YOUR CAVE? :argh:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Sick of this guy from sales marching in with "every time I look at one of our datasheets, it's WRONG :argh: Look at this one!! This is wrong, that's wrong, the system's terrible"

Every time I look at your face it's wrong.

Look, I'm sorry that neither I nor my datasheet production system have developed clairvoyance. It's a bit of a shortfall, I know. I'm still trying to learn how to read minds and make guesses in an accurate and consistent manner, and unfortunately it's not one of my greatest skills. In the interim, instead of expecting it all to Just Work and storming in every week or so to berate me on how terrible it is, I have an idea.

You could form these things called "words", preferably written (meaning with a pen or keyboard - annotated on the current datasheet with a date and signature would be nice) or verbal (meaning you pick up that thing that goes "ring ring" or calmly walk into the office) and tell me about what's wrong. Then I will do the needful and get straight on fixing that up in the system code and/or the data tables so that it's correct. As it's a bulk generation system, in many cases it'd correct all of them at once, giving you less to rant about. It's a little old fashioned I know, but I think I'm going to have to wait for Google ESP before I move past communication via the usual two senses.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
- Guy sends a mass email whinging about problems with the datasheet system that he's not actually informed me about (mostly incorrect data that I was given to feed it with)
- I fix them and reply-all to cover my arse (politely mentioning also that I need to be informed of any issues / data updates, and that basically, garbage in = garbage out)
- He does another reply-all to tell me to stop using reply-all, and to not fix anything else until the next meeting (basically because if I fix too many things, he won't have as much ammunition)

gently caress you, guy.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Ah the pitfalls of sticking to a dirt cheap good-for-nothing antivirus for so long where the application hasn't been updated for over 2 years (took long enough to get a Windows 7 compatible version) and is threatening to disappear altogether. Now the boss has *finally* seen the light and stopped worshipping this crappy AV and is proposing to switch to another. But the problem is, the total annual cost for the lovely one is £200 and the total cost for every other in the world is ~£1000.

This of course led to a quick discussion with our line director, the finance guy. (Same one who refused to give me a rise after 5 years service, adoption of various additional projects and a glowing performance review). Who was horrified at the idea of a 5x increase in cost and says no, let's wait it out and see if something "presents itself".

Then he asked about the feasibility of pirating one :eng99:

I know we're in financial difficulties, but geez. Still, this is the guy who is paid about 3-4x what I am, but borrows IT's ~10 year old digital camera every weekend because he's too tight fisted to buy his own.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 29, 2013

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Guesticles posted:

Gargleblaster, you're slowly becoming Corvette Fisher, please :yotj:. (or isn't he Dilbert something or other now?)

Hah, I'll keep an eye out but it's a rural area so I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Could do with somehow rebuilding my confidence first, after this place has worn it down over the years, bit of a chicken and egg thing!

stevewm posted:

People that email and then immediately call and ask if you got the email while at the same time telling you the entire contents of the email. Why bother?

Yep, we have one of those. Oddly, he calls an email a "note" and replies with "Thanks for your note below" or more often than not, walks in and says "thanks for your note" and responds in person. Which I guess is fine, it's more personal to get some face time in, but sometimes you want to keep it to emails so you have a record of things. Maybe trying to get the best of both worlds is why they respond and then visit and say exactly what they said in the email *shrug*

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Ey up. Next time you think of blaming the user's cat for a laptop that smells of cat pee, think again:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24741832

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Hmmmm. Just got a wonderful evil idea for an "optical disc" that just produces odor when heated...

Stinkray?

Don't give them ideas, or before you know it we'll have "rental" type discs that start to pong if you've had them too long.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Powdered Toast Man posted:

One of you expressed concern for my livelihood (thanks), so I thought I'd let y'all know that rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I guess I've been trying to stay positive and considering how much my situation sucks, I didn't want to talk about it and a lot of y'all are in lovely situations, too, so...thought it would being me down to hang in here. I guess that's sort of a selfish attitude, though, sorry.

On the up side, I'm now in the running for a full-time, permanent position at Google. They apparently got their poo poo together and made some changes, which I can neither confirm nor deny were due to the federal discrimination charges a possible associate of mine may have successfully pursued against them.

Good to hear, and good luck with the hopefully more long-lived job!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Yep OS X has SSH built-in, so I'm not sure why someone would use Putty there unless they specifically wanted some obscure function from it.

Have we had the gripes about Youtube forcing everyone to use Google+ yet? I finally relented and went with my real name as well, but at least it lets you go through your videos and comments and sanitise them in the process, and lets you have additional + accounts with nicknames on under the same Google login. Useful for when you want to post that drunken antics video that you don't really want at the top of the Google results when future employers look you up.
It's good in that it does something to alleviate Youtube's reputation for endless shitposting in the comments, and the way it seems to have per-post privacy in mind from the outset is useful, plus the pressure to use a real name kind of forces you to think about still having some sort of official internet presence in addition to the semi-anonymous crap. It's just that having things shoved down my throat rubs me the wrong way a bit (as it seems to for many)

What else... market research calls. We now have every man and his dog from the Asian continent phoning up with this drat mobile phone study that's doing the rounds.
"Sure I'll answer it! It'll be £200/hr, let me just fill out an invoice, where will I be sending it to please?"
"Uh this isn't a paid study sir but we'd really appreciate just a few minutes of your time"
"No"
"Please just a few minutes"
"No"
"Sir it will really just take a few minutes"
*SLAM*
Yeah gently caress off. I know whoever is at the source of this study is probably paying oodles of money for it, so piss off with your scamming.

And finally, le boss agreed to fix someone's smashed personal iPad screen. I called it and was absolutely right: now everyone in the company is coming in to dump their smashed personal iDevices on the desk. Bloody fool. He's out today, I had one come in and look at me hopefully.. yeah no, gently caress that. I've seen what they're like to repair when you try to do it on the cheap, and I'm not being held responsible for home button / microphone / light sensor issues (the stuff that's usually glued to the digitiser and pretty much never comes with cheap eBay digitiser/screen replacements) or dust and fingerprints trapped under the new glass etc. If it can't wait a day, go find a repair shop somewhere.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Humphreys posted:

I shall be stealing this idea for my own amusement, thankyou!

One even offered to send me a cheque! Of course, if I believe that, let me just have a quick peek at this email from my long lost family member in Nigeria who I never knew about...

Crowley posted:

Jumpers. You set IRQs with jumpers.

Right, that's the car end attached. Let's do this!

Humphreys posted:

I'm betting there are some OCD folk out there just hating that and wanting to make all the black squares a perfect diagonal line.

I don't think I'm OCD, but yes it bugs me :P

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
DEVICE=MATSHITA.SYS

Made me giggle when I was 10.

Still makes me giggle when I'm 31. Growing up is for losers

Lum posted:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5

Don't you 'SET' me! :stonk:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Pffffft
(Speaking of being 10, I used to call that stuff TCPIP, yes I'd heard of TCP/IP back then as my dad used it for packet radio gateways)

I have nothing further to add, but Agrikk's avatar and title seems highly relevant to this discussion.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
LogMeIn Free is going away. Fucksticks.

Any other recommendations for good free cross-platform remote access clients you can happily leave running without poking holes in your firewall and farting around with port forwarding? It's only for home, so I'm not paying.

VNC-over-SSH tunnelling on a forwarded port on some random number and trying to find a "no-ip" type service that is actually reliable (I have a dynamic IP) seems to be the most likely way so far, as much as I preferred not having to do any of that. The latter is always the stumbling block. They'll be fine for a couple of weeks then just stop updating.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 3, 2014

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Caged posted:

TeamViewer seems to be the go-to replacement for a lot of people here.

Ta. Yeah - it's a bit sketchy in terms of "cross platform" (it uses WINE) but it's looking like a good enough option.

Edit: Sorry if it's a bit "LMGTFY" but I trust you lot to know the best option a lot more than I trust Google.
imPCRemote looks like a possibility as well, though.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 3, 2014

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Caged posted:

I've used TeamViewer on my Mac to support my parents running Windows and it's worked perfectly. I've also done some Mac to Mac stuff and that worked nicely as well.

Not done Windows to Mac.

Mostly using a combination of Linux and Mac at home. The Linux WINE-ified client is a little rough around the edges, but it works, which is the main thing :)

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
What in the name of Stallman have they done to the Backup Exec UI?! (we finally upgraded from Ye Olde Ancient Version)

I'd just got used to the old one. Now I literally can't find anything.

Why can't software developers just leave interfaces alone, what's all this bollocks of having to do things like click on your drive and use a "forward button" for navigation to other menu items, which is completely counter-intuitive to anyone who's ever used a web browser? What's the matter with these people? Was someone on crack when they designed this, or are they just trolling? They must be trolling. No human interface designer is this loving retarded.

A c E posted:

Actually, over the weekend a co-worker sent me a text that said "Call me ASAP", so naturally I figured something horrible happened because I don't call people and they know that. Turns out they wanted to buy a tablet and asked for my opinion. Fuckers.

Yikes. I'd probably freak at a message like that too (in fact the last time I saw those words in a text, it was indeed that something horrible had happened). Someone needs to be told the tale of the child who cried wolf.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Just... rrrgh!
Exchange isn't much better. In the past, Microsoft's advantage over Linux was putting interfaces on things. Now they're driving us to the Powershell. If it wasn't for all the lock-in, it'd be easier to just go full-on neckbeard and be done with it. (I'm more used to bash)

Lum posted:

Ahahaha, if that ancient version was old enough to still be branded Veritas, then you just shot yourself in the foot.

Enjoy your lack of backups and a product that lies to you!

Nooooooooo :(
Yeah, it was old enough.

We do regular restore tests, so that's something I guess!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Sudbina posted:

Is it just me or do applications with no way to auto-update themselves annoy people? I hate having to go to a website to download the latest version of a piece of software when the developers could have implemented an auto-update feature.

Yes, it really bugs me. The worst example being as Caged said - Adobe Flash on the Mac. (Though at least it doesn't bundle malware like the Windows version)

alt.flash.die.die.die

All software IMO should have automatic background updates, with the ability to switch to authorised updates if you're someone who cares (or whose job it is to care) about doing that.

Potato Alley posted:

(No but really shoot yourself in the head it will be much more enjoyable than dealing with that pile of poo poo).

:(

Well we seem to have beat it into submission (*touch wood*), barring the stupidity that it tries to back up its own database while it's in use by itself (:downs:), causing a warning.

We finally got FTTC in the area so cloud backups are more of a possibility than they were before...

Wizard of the Deep posted:

"Hey, guys? I'm trying to work on [COMPLEX TASK] over here, but it looks like Conference Room Charlie is open. Would you guys mind moving over there?"

Always try to bring the solution up when you have a problem.

This is the correct and mature response, and how to be seen as helpful in the process if you're bothered about being a pain.

Volmarias posted:

I think underlig goes way, way beyond shy, if you look at his post history.

AFAIK there's a strong correlation between geeks and social awkwardness and/or diagnosed autism, social anxiety etc. It's just a case of explaining the correct way to handle various situations with other people, even if it seems a little obvious to others.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Auditors.

However!

I always used to whine in the thread about the young lady in charge of Marketing here deciding that she doesn't like my website efforts and instead of giving me any feedback (she didn't give me one scrap, ever) or even any indication of not liking it, just one day effectively told me that I suck and went to her dad (who happens to be CEO..) to convince him to let her take it off me and pay an external developer to redo it.

Incidentally she was keen to let me know (when I raised polite objection to this rather backstabby move) that I'm too slow, as this developer was going to redo the whole thing (hundreds of products and all) in 2 weeks, effectively implying a "wtf do you do all day". This was about 18 months ago, there's been no sign of it, and the existing site I was happily updating has been static in that time with anyone wanting updates being told not to ask me because there's a much better site coming Real Soon Now.

But now I get to bask in a bitter and vindictive but highly satisfying glow of happiness in that it's audit season. Cometh the process manager.
"Hey GB, we've got auditors coming, one thing they want to see is our website update procedures, so we're going to need you in some meetings for a few days while..."

Never have I been so happy to repeat the words "I'm sorry, it's out of my hands now, you'll need to go and see the ladies in Marketing".

Ahhhhhh
I fart some auditors in your general direction, my dear.... enjoy :smuggo:

(I am mostly over it, life's too short for grudges and I have to work with them so I tend to try and maintain a positive and friendly or at least tolerant relationship. But I'll have to admit... this moment stirred it up again in a satisfying manner)

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lord Dudeguy posted:

If I'm not fired tomorrow, I'll be astonished.

Had a user change departments a few weeks ago from HR to Exec. A change request came in to remove access to a piece of HR software. I go through their account, notice the HR access is still there, and remove it. Ticket closed.

Then executive hell broke loose.

The person didn't really "transfer" as much as she was "on loan" to the other group. This wasn't indicated in the ticket. I was then notified by HR staff that I should call them every time they submit a ticket to verify that this was what they really wanted. I asked if they wanted me to reconfigure the software so they could be denied access and still have the same HR group permissions. They agreed, and I send an e-mail to my boss as a way of documenting it, including that the HR staff and I "agreed to disagree" on whether we should trust a user making a change request for software they're responsible for.

Well that went straight to C-level by the HR staffer. Suddenly I'm a liar, they never asked me to reconfigure anything, and I should just verify every ticket I'm assigned, every time. I'm so pissed right now I can't see straight. I went to reply, then figured that silence is the best response right now.

The way poo poo goes down here, IT is never allowed to disagree about anything. Ever. You say yes and take it like a chump, or you get canned.

Wow they sound like total idiots if they do. Seems someone in HR doesn't like you, which isn't a good position to be in.

Very wise on staying silent though. It can be incredibly easy to fire off a snotty email when you're pissed, and such emails never do you any favours. End up sending it to some d-bag with an inflated sense of self-importance (it sounds like HR staffer is that type) and they'll be filling out a complaints form with "disrespectful" on it before you've lifted back off the mouse.

Good luck..