Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

After the total non-starter of the Spike thing last night, I'll pass.

Just check your videogame website of choice the next morning and all the trailers will be easily accessible and ready to watch. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

MZ posted:

GTAV has some cheats but they are a pain in the arse because R* thought it would go all retro and you have to manually enter them each time (GTAIV & RDR gave you a cheat menu IIRC). Also the god mode cheat lasts only 5 minutes before you have to enter it again :wtc:

But yeah I miss having cheats in games, I don't really care about achievements that much but it's nice to be able to gently caress around in a game once you're done with the story, etc.

I don't think achievements have nothing to do with the decline in cheats, it would be trivial to add a check that blocks trophies unlocking if a cheat is activated. I think as games have got more complicated being able to cheat can potentially allow you to gently caress up scripting in games or otherwise lead you into an unwinnable state.

Apparently the fast movement cheat in Uncharted 2 could let you get to places before they've loaded, for example. I do wish a few more games would take the extra time to add in a few cheats, like you say they're fun to mess around with.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

causticBeet posted:

Has it gotten worse throughout the day? I was able to download and play resogun and cod and play a match of bf4 earlier today.

I would imagine it's only going to get worse now, as people get home from work and fire up their new console.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

G-Whizard posted:

Yeah the streaming and remote play are definitely the stars of the show here. Although people saying that this finally gives them a reason to buy a vita is false. There are plenty of reasons to buy a Vita. The system owns. And I have no interest in the JRPG's that are on it. It rocks despite them. My hope when they announced remote play was that the Vita would finally get more recognition. So far it looks like that might be coming true.

I can't believe there's no PS4/Vita bundle. I'd be all over a PS4/Vita/Camera bundle for $599.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Nitramster posted:

Upselling sucks but it's the nature of the retail beast, especially in the last 5 years. Managers push for "attachments" "protection plans" and "services". Just learn how to deal with it, because it's not going anywhere.

Is it really difficult to just say 'No thanks, not interested :)' I know it's annoying but they're not forcing you.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Vrikkian posted:

1.) Does PS+ time stack?

2.) Is there a way you can look online to see how much time you have left on PS+?

1) Yeah, if you buy a sub when you still have one active it just adds to the end of it.

2) If you look on your purchased media page on the SEN site the expiry date of a PS+ game will be the expiry date. On PS3 if you go to account management > Transaction management > Services List > Playstation plus it'll give you the start/end dates of your sub. I assume PS4 has something similar?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Roman posted:

I can't wait until they implement themes so I can install one and just go back to the default blue one two days later

I love my roaring fireplace theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8NvpKJrD3o

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

Jesus christ. The future is terrible.

I hope there's a parental control so you can stop your kids streaming without permission. Or at least turn off the chat.

I'm watching some kid stream playroom with her mum and they had a pretty hilarious exchange.

mum: Hey, you have 42 people watching you now!
kid: Fourty-two!? :monocle:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Pleads posted:

Lego Marvel has co-op, right? The whole game looks to be designed around swapping between two characters.

All the other Lego games do so I assume so.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
How long is the battery life? I read 7-8 hours somewhere which sounds fine, especially if the controller will charge while the system is off. Is that accurate?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I'm really curious how Sony/content creators make money off of PS+. If there's a profit I have to imagine the margins are razor fin.

I read an interview somewhere that said they don't have a standard 'deal' for free games for the creators. Some companies will put it up for nothing because it'll get people trying the game that wouldn't have bothered otherwise, especially if there's plenty of DLC or a sequel on the horizon.

As an example, I had no interest in The Walking Dead and only downloaded the first 2 episodes when they were free. Subsequently I bought the rest of the season, the 400 days DLC and I'll be buying Season 2 when it's released. Sleeping Dogs is another game I'd have passed over but now I'd probably get any potential sequel.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Regarding PS4 re-releases, I think we'll get God of war 3/Ascension and Uncharted Trilogy 1080p/60fps collections, probably just before the next game in the series as a hype booster.

Spalec fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 2, 2013

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
They've already said you can switch off the slow motion when you get spotted, and you don't have to use the tagging enemies thing if you don't want to. Just because you CAN shoot your way out of trouble doesn't mean you can't limit yourself and play stealthy. Adding more options for different playstyles doesn't hurt a game.

Hopefully you can set the game to end if you get spotted like in MGS2/3 Euro Extreme mode for the old-school Metal Gear Experience.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Metanaut posted:

Is it possible to buy games from US PSN store and play them on an EU account? I never got into that trickery with the PS3.

is it as simple as make an US account, buy game and start downloading, log out of the US account and into your usual one?

Can you just straight up buy the game from the store with your local Visa or do you have to use a gift card?

It wouldn't be so bad if they would do the usual US dollar = euro conversion, but goddamn $59.90 (~44e) vs 69.90e.

vvv :tipshat: So it goes exactly the way I thought, rear end creed and NBA2k14 for me next.

Yes, just remember if you buy DLC it has to be from the same store as the base game, i.e. if you buy a game from the US store you have to buy the DLC from the US store too, even if the DLC is free, make sure it's from the same region or it won't work.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I don't understand why you buy a remote for the PS3/4. I've always found the dualshock does everything I need it to. OK, you need to manually turn it off once you start the movie but that's not worth $20. Can it be used as a universal remote for TV/cable?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

I hope we get some good PS3 Vs PS4 comparisons around launch. I'll be getting a PS4 for sure, but probably not until summer and I want to see if it's worth just waiting it out or buying on PS3. Is there meant to be any carry-over between GZ and TPP in terms of unlockables or stats or something? If there is I'll probably just wait as it almost certainly won't be cross-gen if it is.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

davecrazy posted:

If somebody is going off on you in voice chat with the slurs and whatnot does the recording function capture that if you want to report them to Sony or whatever?

Theoretically. I don't think I could ever be bothered just cause some moron is mad at videogames.

I really hope so. Being an abusive racist/misogynist/homophobe needs to start costing people their accounts. Maybe that would make people think before they threaten to rape/kill you because you beat them in Tekken or something.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Regarding the streaming stuff, I assume US only doesn't extend to Canada? Hopefully the betas/launch here won't be too far behind.

My guess/hope for pricing will be a netflix-style flat fee with a discount if you're a PS+ member. Maybe $X/month for Y hours streaming/month?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Feenix posted:

Tomb Raider DE is only 60 bucks because it originally sold like 5 million copies and Square-Eidos considered it "underperforming".

So they gon' miiiiiilk it!

Apparently it only just became profitable, even after selling 5 million. Hopefully it'll be $20 in a couple of months or a PS+ game a few months before the sequel because full price is taking the piss a bit for a touched up last-gen game.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, what made them even release this in the first place after they called it a failure almost a year ago? That seems contradictory...

Squeeze a little bit more money out the game? The porting itself probably cost (comparatively) very little, especially as they're being cheeky bastards and selling it full price.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I've played Resident Evil 1, 4, and 5. How was Resident Evil 2? I remember the massive hype surrounding that game when it came out, but I had a Sega Saturn, so I never got to play it.

2 is in the old school RE1 style, if you enjoyed RE1 2 did more of the same but better in pretty much every way. It also had a neat duel-scenario set-up that I'd love to see another game employ, especially if they went further with the 'actions of the first player you use will affect the second run'

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

PlayStation Now is a joke, says Pachter

Allow me to rephrase that:

Patcher is so consistently wrong that it's pretty much guaranteed that the opposite of what he says will happen.

Just like how no 3rd parties will put up free games on PS+ because it'll eat into their sales too!

Except Bioshock Infinite, Hitman Absolution, Borderlands 2, Spec Ops: The line, Saints Row 3, Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Bioshock 2, Payday 2.....

I'm sure all of them were less then 2 years old when they went free, and a lot of them are less then 12 months old.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

timeandtide posted:

Knack and Killzone are way more likely to be the first free Sony AAA games than Infamous, but yeah it'll eventually come to PS+. I wouldn't expect any free big games until at least end of summer though.

I think we'll get Killzone during E3 week, they launched the Instant Game collection then and it'd be good for capturing some headlines.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Most of the HD collections I bought were games I missed on the previous generation. Even the ones I had played had significant new content for me (The MGS collection had Peace Walker which was all new to me and I'd only played the vanilla releases of MGS2/3 so there was plenty of new content there too, I hadn't played Zone of the Enders 2 either)

Apart from the Silent Hill collection, they've all been very well made (and even that was at least playable once it got patched)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

I'd really like to see a director's cut of Uncharted 3, since a lot of things had to be axed due to the strict deadline, smaller team, and Graham McTavish (Cutter) leaving halfway through production because he was cast in The Hobbit. Games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and even Ninja Gaiden 3 have had this treatment, but being released on the PS4 at 1080p60 would give even more reason to buy it.

At the very least, they should put cheats and unlockables back in. It's just not the same without Doughnut Drake. Maybe a mode that makes everyone fat?

I would definitely play doughnut mode, especially if they altered everyones voice like they did in U2. They should replace all treasure with various types of doughnut though.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Curse you Amazon.ca when will you get PS4 back in stock (That isn't being sold by someone for like $650) :argh:

I know I could buy from another store but I have $200 in amazon giftcards to use. They'd better be in stock by the time Infamous and Metal Gear are released.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

I really have to disagree with the idea that the PS3 was overpriced. Expensive, sure, but it was sold at a U.S.$250 loss and was both cheaper and technologically superior to the various stand-alone Blu-ray players available at the time. It also came with things like Wi-Fi built-in and the ability to use any laptop HDD you liked. It's probably a subjective thing, mostly based on how much you think Blu-ray mattered, but still.

With the 360, if you wanted wireless wasn't it was another ~$100 and a decent sized HDD was comically overpriced. How much was the HD-DVD add on? If you actually compared like for like the PS3 didn't look too bad.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

Apparently the MSRP for ps4 games in Canada have gone up to $69.99 due to the weak Canadian dollar. :canada:

I'm glad I've pre-ordered infamous through amazon, so I'll get the lower price, but $70 is a bit much, so I'll probably be holding off on new games for a while.

Will that apply to digital games too? I've been considering going more digital because I don't have to pay HST, but if digital is cheaper too it'll make the choice easier.

Or I'll just stop buying on launch day, you can normally get a game for less then $40 a few months after launch. Or it'll be free on plus in under a year :v:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info. In your opinion will this service be free, or part of the PS+ subscription, or do you think it will cost money on its own?

Sony haven't announced anything regarding pricing, but it'll almost certainly cost extra. We don't know if it'll use a Netflix model (monthly fee, play all you like) or if you'll buy permanent access to 1 game at a time. I hope PS+ members will get some sort of discount though.

Maybe free PS+ games for PS3 will also be made free to stream on PS4 if you're a plus member?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Skychrono posted:

I can't link to the PS Blog here, but Pixeljunk Shooter 1 and 2 are being released in HD with enhancements as PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate. From Kotaku:

"
Improved graphics — the game looks really sharp
A 3D Ship — replacing the original 2D ship with a 3D model allows for more fluid motion and takes advantage of the game's new real-time lighting
60 Frames-per-second on the PS4 — so smooth
It runs on the Vita — fluid dynamics is hard, yo
A single, seamless experience — all the new features from Shooter 2 are woven into the first game
A smaller HUD — more room for eye candy
Cross play — play on Vita or PS4 or both at the same time
Cross save — save on anything
New scoring system — what's a scoring system?
"

http://kotaku.com/the-ps4-gets-the-ultimate-version-of-pixeljunk-shooter-1536940417

Never played it, looking forward to it.

I enjoyed Shooter 1 + 2 on Ps3, doesn't sound like it'll be crossbuy if you already own them though :(

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Chernabog posted:

This has probably been asked a thousand times but if I get psn+ now, will I get access to all of the previous freebies or am I SOL?

Nope, only the ones currently free.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Not on Amazon.ca :argh: (that aren't insanely overprices)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I wonder if this'll make Spalec's secret post appear.

e:Nope!

How odd. Hopefully this post will show up or I'll begin to think I'm a ghost. :tinfoil:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Malt posted:

In any of these of infamous streams has there been blast shards?

If I don't spend literally 5 days searching for the final one to platinum the game like infamous 1 I will be disappointed.

They added a much better power to help you search for them in Infamous 2, I can't imagine they'd have got rid of that.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Looks like if you're in Canada PS4 is getting a $50 price hike. Controllers, cameras, games etc are going up too. :(

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/14/playstation-4-prices-going-up-in-canada

Assholes. I know they're going :qq: But the weak canadian dollar :qq: but if the dollar was extremely strong would they reduce the price?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

AngelesXO posted:

In the same vein, do I still get the 10 dollars back if I only pre-order Infamous? Or do I have to buy an avatar or something to get above $60?

Someone on the PS blog said $59.99 is good enough for the promo. If you're really worried just buy the cheapest avatar or something else little.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Harlock posted:

Sony is working on/testing rental options through the PSN store. Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later and the prices aren't ridiculous.

The leaked screenshot suggested you can rent games for 1, 7 or 30 days, although the price was just listed as 'free', which is obviously just a placeholder.

I would hope the prices would be something like $2/1 day, $10/7 Days and $25 for 30 days although I think that would probably be optimistic.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Do we know if this is a straight up remake so it has the same level design with new graphics or is it going to change stuff more like the Resident Evil Gamecube remake?

I'm excited either way, I loved both the original games. There's not a more specific release date then 'spring' is there?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Does anyone really want VR headsets? I'd feel even dorkier using one then I do using Kinect. Especially as don't a significant portion of users get unbearably motion sick really quickly?

I'm sure it's a cool effect but I can't ever see it progressing beyond niche appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Don't some games give you feedback via the light? Like in Killzone it changes colour according to your health?

Hopefully if there's a GTA5 port when you've got a wanted level it'll flash red/blue like a cop car.

Cool that you can turn it off if you don't want it though. Should increase the battery life right?

• Locked thread