Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Go RV! posted:

I missed the last few months of the previous thread, and there's only one burning question in my mind. What ever happened with the DBD spermjacking plotline?

It basically petered (heh) out because Muir can't focus on a storyline for more than five strips.

Anyways, fellow goons, here's to another year of awful terrible crap with the occasional gold nugget thrown in. You know what? I wouldn't have it any other way.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

axolotl farmer posted:

I think Ted Rall is just barely computer literate.

$7000 for a computer? :stare:

YOSPOS bihtc, Ted.

He also apparently shortens "computers" to "puters", this is really funny to me for some reason

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

change my name posted:

I did, but 1: it's easy to overlook, and 2: by saying that "there's only one in captivity!" instead of something like, "we've captured the thing", he's implying that there are more nuclear programs anyways.

Also, that type of bedsheet-rope would almost certainly be used to scale down something- unless there was something super heavy or a grappling hook on the other end it wouldn't hold strong enough for anything to climb out.

But, I mean, THE EXHIBIT HAS NO BARS so obviously it's not worth dissecting the thought process here too thoroughly.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I agree it's probably impossible to do these days, and has been that way for a long time, but I'd argue that at least two anti-war movies have actually been made, one intentionally, one not. Both are from WWI, and were shot during the war itself: The Battle of the Somme, 1916, and J'accuse, 1919.

The former was intended as a propaganda piece, but was realistic enough to horrify British audiences when it premiered; we have numerous accounts of people crying out in shock as troops go over the top and get mowed down, and several cases of audience members fainting. The latter almost rates as a horror film given its use of imagery of dead soldiers returning to haunt/judge the living back at home. Neither was misinterpreted at the time in any way as being pro-war or jingoistic to my knowledge.

I haven't actually seen it, but from what I've heard Apocalypse Now is basically about how hellish the Vietnam War was.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Randler posted:

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - The Cincinnati Bengals ticket office has officially announced that Sunday's game is not a sell out, and will not be shown on FOX19.

NFL policy states that games must be sold out 72 hours in advance of kickoff to be televised locally. The sellout deadline was at 1 p.m. Thursday. The NFL did not grant an extension. (...)

See, this is an instance where extra context is actually necessary to understand this- I was sure it was just a general "it sure is cold out here and it would be better to watch football inside!!" thing without referring to any specific event.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mighty Stalker posted:

wrap it up, public schoolailures
homeschooling is better :colbert:

Quoting this for the next page because it is beautiful :allears:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

loquacius posted:

Also while I was looking for that I found this old DbD, which is not an edit and has a large degree of relevance to the recent trend of Dick By Dick edits.

I swear to God that is not an edit. Muir wrote and published that. No, he is not insecure. Ladies love his penis. Really. They do. Shut up.

Oh god I know I did a Day by Penis-esque edit of this one, but I'm away from my home computer and have no idea what page it's on. Loquacious, would you mind digging it up and reposting it?

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

loquacius posted:

Sure, I guess I have nothing better to do :mad:

Hey, you found some more funny stuff to post, too, so it was totally worth it :colbert:

Thank you!

Also I've got to give Bennett credit for handling his... "fan mail" so well. I know they're probably from some harmless old conservative nut, but at the same time they give off a serious "look what the Zodiac Killer sent the paper this time" vibe.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

cafel posted:

It's really simple. The President is a distracting figure head who holds no power and the American people are a bunch of dupes for paying attention to him. It's pretty stupid.

I... don't think you get what separates Three Word Phrase from political cartoons.

hint: the difference is that it is great

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oh, does anyone have any of Allie's cartoons from a while ago where he was completely wrong about how the economy was faring? Like, "lol look at those DUMBocrats, the Bush economy is stronger than ever!"

Or any cartoon where he was catastrophically wrong would work too.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

TheDarkFlame posted:

And here is the comic that perfectly predicted the incredible success of the American economy in the 21st century, a post or two after that Rorus Razpost:

Thanks a bunch for these, guys! The second one especially is just devastatingly perfect.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MisterBadIdea posted:

Boy, why can't the first lady dress like the common folk? She would surely not be derided as a classless trashy ho by the same people who are complaining about her expensive wardrobe.

Ugh, exactly. Let's imagine that, for whatever insane reason, the Obamas served their foreign head-of-state guests Hamburger Helper. These same right-wing blogs would be screeching about what a TERRIBLE IMPRESSION we were giving to the rest of the world and WHAT HAS AMERICA'S REPUTATION SUNK TO and don't you see, this is just what happens when you put nig THOSE PEOPLE in charge of anything important!!

gently caress those stupid loving hypocrites.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
A couple pages back, but:

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's the other Ramirez you're thinking of:

Good eye, King George, I don't see one either! All I see is the one about keeping a well-regulated militia.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Yeah, Gawker and Buzzfeed are frequently lovely/annoying click-bait, but that criticism rings somewhat hollow coming from Ted "everything is Hitler" Rall.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

crowfeathers posted:

so ask yourself, is this better or worse than a ramirez arrow cartoon

This is stupid all around, but the "silly, meaningless symbols" point doesn't even make any sense. That symbol has a meaning, and it means "Obama" because we as a culture agree that that's what it means. The swastika doesn't inherently mean "Nazi"; if it does, we need to have a talk with the Hindus, Buddhists, and countless ancient civilizations that attach positive connotations to it.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Hey everyone- I posted this in the last thread but figured I'd share it again here, especially since I did some edits and actually hosted it on a separate website!

I'm frequently involved in the weekly Thunderdome flash fiction contest over in CC. If you've got any desire to hone your fiction-writing skills, I highly recommend it, they're a great bunch! Anyway, I'm not just giving them a plug- last year, one week's prompt was to pick another SA thread to write a story about. I chose this one.

But what could I write about? With so many recurring characters it was sort of tough to pick. I could have written the tale of Muir getting his roof repaired, the saga of a village about to be crushed under a mountain of DEBT, or even the legend of a duck who, after extensive genetic experimenting, is left with the ability to talk/crippling alcoholism!

But something about this incident stuck out to me.

So, without further ado, here's "Garry Malloy Stands His Ground". I hope you guys like it!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, because Dilbert is good.

And he failed at recreating Dogbert.

Dilbert is poo poo but even literal dog poo poo would be more enjoyable than Prickly City.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Allen Wren posted:

Wait, poo poo. Wrong thread for Dobson edits. It's reflex at this point.

loquacius posted:

The sweat is because he's heard they don't do Christmas in Israel :v:

I think I can translate that speech bubble: "Were you the guy who dropped the radio in poop?"

I love you guys.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Discendo Vox posted:

Wow, that's terrible. I agree with the argument, but reading it makes me agree with the argument less. It's like an anti-opinion cartoon. It's more :smug: than JJ.

I don't know if I'd call it smug, necessarily- to me it's more like "Look at how thoughtful and sensitive and poetic I'm being, guys!"

I mean, come on. "It is a very odd sort of Patriot..." :laffo:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ted Rall posted:

Thank you, Miep. Another defense to my skills as an artist would be how difficult it is for people who attempt to parody me to replicate my style. Charles Schulz had a very simple drawing style too, but whenever you try to copy it, you realize how sophisticated it is.

Hahahaha get hosed you talentless hack.

Also, some dummy responding to another post in the parody thread:

jerk posted:

1. “Ted Rall, whose ineptitude at art is matched only by the size of his ego.”
Dilbert is drawn by an artistic simpleton. It’s barely even stickfigures. People don’t read the strip for the art. They read it for the humor. Cartoons are rarely just the drawing. The words are almost always the important part.

(a)Dilbert is a pretty terrible comic strip and (b)one of the few things in a Ted Rall cartoon worse than the art is the writing, so I don't think this is a very strong defense.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
FAKE
rear end

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fulchrum posted:

He maintained it just fine after Temple of Doom. I didn't even maintain my faith in the Indiana Jones franchise after that movie.

Pfft, shows what you know: Temple of Doom is actually a prequel to Raiders (it takes place in 1935, Raiders is in '36).

Also, despite Willie's screechiness it is a far better movie than Crystal Skull, though I agree with you that the nuke-fridge scene is cited too often as one of its main issues. First, as you said, it's no less ridiculous than a thousand other things that happen throughout the series, and it also led to what was probably the single coolest image in that movie: Indy climbing up the hill only to be dwarfed by the huge, looming mushroom cloud.

Of course, there are plenty of other issues Crystal Skull has that are ripe for discussion, but this video review does a better job presenting them than I could here.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mighty Stalker posted:

He's still doing this. Could this be the beginning of a my Little Pony Story arc? I figure we'll get at least a few more of these before Chris gets distracted by some right wing blog talking point and drops the story.

Political Cartoons 2014: I see a babe I wanna mouth.

Also, I love that the discussion swung back to this comic, because it's so funny to me how tortured the setup is ("Tell me, daughter of mine, does your toy run??" -definitely something a human would say un-prompted) just for a punchline isn't much of a burn, or even really coherent.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Horon posted:

So in class today, we were supposed to bring in three political cartoons and share them with the group and something something.

Which three did you pick, any thread favorites?

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mister Adequate posted:

Why is Obama talking about himself in the third person? :confused:

Oh, come on. You can't recognize the signature Putin jowls, elf ears, and tanned, leathery skin? I mean, he pretty much spelled it out.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Saint Sputnik posted:

Now that's a manly heartthrob in a cool dude outfit, unlike to that twerp in the plaid onesie who shills for Obongokkkare

Yeah I wonder how many tear-stained essays about the :qq: DEATH OF AMERICAN MANHOOD :qq: this ad campaign's going to prompt. :jerkbag:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mighty Stalker posted:

A lot of people struggle with Muirglish. I've made a rough translation into English but some of the subtle nuances get lost in translation.

That clears up the language, but the Buzz Lightyear reference is still a complete non sequitur to me.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

colonel_korn posted:

Of course! It was made by an "athiest" after all

Tony Branco, the dude who once literally drew the Duck Dynasty guy as Jesus Christ, also thinks it's blasphemous.

I love that, in order to imply that Noah will be a disaster, he calls it Titanic II. That definitely does not bring to mind a film that made 2 billion dollars at the box office, no sir.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Ben Stein had a segment on today's CBS Sunday Morning about a topic very near and dear to this thread's heart.

He and Kirschen should get together and gently caress off

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

No way, Paul Ryan cut a Blue Series single with Third Man Records? How did I not hear about this??

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ahahaha, so Kirschen has been doing venn diagram eyes for THIRTY YEARS at least? I thought his awful art had been exacerbated by old age or something, but it's in literally every panel in this one. How does this talentless shitheel make any money at all from his "work"?

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Not My Leg posted:

You're right, this is much more like Tinsley complaining about his DUI.

"Officer Power Trip" might still be my favorite Kelly label of all time.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Spiffster posted:

:siren: We've got Comic sign! :siren:

Am I alone in feeling that is on par with Glenn McCoy's awful Paterno comic, if not worse?

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Does anyone have/know where I could find a good point-by-point rebuttal to all of these?

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I know everyone hates the whole "BENNETT SUCKS" "SHAME ON YOU, UNFAITHFUL GOON" thing that seems to happen every few pages, but I honestly feel that Bennett hasn't quite been up to his normal game this year. Besides a few pretty solid ones he hasn't really made a cartoon that's knocked it out of the park for me.

Until now. :golfclap:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Here's a bit of insight, Teddy. The fact that you've "pissed off Democrats, Republicans, and other writers and cartoonists" isn't because you have ***BOLD OPINIONS*** or because you're some rebellious, tell-it-like-it-is punk-rocker cartoonist, as much as you desperately wish you were.

It's because you're really loving stupid. And you can't draw for poo poo.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Terror Sweat posted:

Why would you type this? The hell is wrong with you? You are publicly writing an imaginary one-sided conversation to someone that will never read it.

1. It feels good to vent.

2. Yeah, he very well might never read it, but I don't intend to underestimate the ego of Tood Rall, Arrogant gently caress Numero Uno.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You know that's this entire thread right?

And yeah, Terror Sweat, if this is really such a bizarre thing to you, you might want to read back through the thread. Like every other post is gently caress YOU RAMIREZ/TINSLEY/LESTER.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I Before E posted:

"That the Prez' madder than hell" is just a big pain in the rear end of a line to read. Just no flow.

Yeah, honestly, it didn't scan too bad up until that, but the whole thing screeches to a halt right there.

Tood Rool posted:

One of my personal favorites, but also my worst-selling book, this graphic novel is a homage to/parody of/updating of George Orwell’s novel of totalitarian oppression 1984. I faithfully attempted to follow the structure of Orwell’s classic with a new take on twisted take on dystopia. The threat to our freedom isn’t some totalitarian tyrant — it’s our own, lazy, easily-distracted selves, wallowing in technological gadgetry while the world falls apart around us. Taking on postmodernism, nihilism, the Internet and free trade all at once, this is one of my most ambitious attempts to satirize contemporary American politics.

There you have it, ladies and gents. Ted Rall is living proof that the Dunning-Kruger effect is real.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Oh no, Tinsley, please. The thread just got past this derail, don't drag us back in the pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mordiceius posted:

I refuse to even comment on this one.

I don't think Black Muir is actually black- that looks like more of an orc-green skin tone to me.

• Locked thread