Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Vogon Poet posted:

Prediction for 2014: "Less people will have health insurance in 2013 because of Obamacare." Although this is confusingly worded, the most straightforward interpretation is that less people will have had insurance in 2013 than in 2014; the number of insured people will increase because of Obamacare. "What difference does it make" then means that Republicans don't actually care about getting more people health insurance.

Actually I'm pretty sure the most straightforward interpretation is that he typed the wrong year by accident because a lot of people do that in January.

"What difference does it make" is a quote from Hillary's testimony on Benghazi (which was in response to Issa et al splitting hairs about whether the attack was called "terrorism" and whether it was pre-planned or spontaneous). Conservatives like to use it to make it sound like she (and by extension, Democrats) didn't care about people dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Jurgan posted:

Wait, this is an edit, right? If not... "rope and chains?" My mind goes immediately to "rope for lynching and chains for slaves." Please, tell me this is fake.

Why does your mind immediately go race? Could you be...the real racist?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Today's Dry Bones brought to you by Computoon!

GOOGLE JON POL

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

These questions are funny

This from the people who want to arm the teachers.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

cafel posted:

Eh, calling out Michelle Obama and the photo involving a well set table comes across as directly attacking the spending of the First Family. I guess if the words government comes anywhere near a personal fortune the money turns bad and starts killing jobs.

This reminds me of the "lavish Las Vegas convention" from a few years back that got someone at the GSA fired even though similar types of events are not at all unusual for large companies. For people who insist that government should be run like a business, they sure do hate when government officials start acting like businessmen.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

That was kind of a legit scandal though. The GSA are supposed to be the vendor people who make sure the feds aren't overspending on things(it rarely works out that way.)

My point was that large companies are slaves to their shareholders so they can obviously come up with reasons why it makes sense financially to have lavish internal conventions (morale, recruitment, marketing, etc.) instead of socking that money away in an investment. If efficient private companies can defend their Vegas workparties then the government should be able to as well.

Incidentally that whole thing has made government agencies (at least the ones I've worked with) deliberately avoid hosting events in Vegas due to the perception of wastefulness even if airfare and hotel convention space is dirt cheap, so the GSA ironically led to the government spending more money to avoid a repeat of their optics.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

rodbeard posted:

They aren't 2084 is a summer Olympics.

E; I'm dumb

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Obama does look like a monkey in that comic though?

Why wasn't it racist to make Bush look like one :smuggo:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

:hfive:

Yeah the ticker this time is a bit Muir-esque, not sure exactly what he's saying. Though I'm sure the implication is that Obama is totally awesome.

The first two panels were about how criticisms of him as a corporatist were off-base so it's probably safe to assume that the second part of it is about mocking the people who think he hates religion by showing how he's meeting with religious leaders.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

MisterBadIdea posted:

I suspect that Russia's connection to the Ukraine protests is far too complex an issue for most cartoonists to illustrate in a clear visual metaphor. It's certainly beyond Ramirez, who only knows that 1) something bad is happening in the Ukraine and 2) Russia is involved somehow. Reading this cartoon, you'd think the Soviets were invading again.

Ukraine doesn't want to be a Russian hegemon anymore. It's a short program (figure skating event) because Yanukovych wasn't in power for very long before the people got sick of him (unlike the majority of pro-Russian CIS autocrats). Am I reading this completely wrong or is this one of those people trying as hard as they possibly can to let something confuse them comics.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

This claim is undercut slightly by the fact that Davey Jones does not have a goddamn nose at all. The bridge of the characters nose merges into his upper lip. Either he is blind, or the hook nose was an intentional addition to the cartoon.

It does look somewhat plausibly like a cross between Davey Jones and Captain Barbossa.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

E-Tank posted:

This one needs more love. The message is general 'ITS loving COLD OUT THERE', but oh my god those polar bears. Yes Mrs. Polar bear, come right in and have a seat on the couch. How's your husband's spokesman deal with Coca cola doing?

And that cub. :kimchi:

Given that it's Varvel I'm surprised Al Gore isn't hanging out wanting to come in too.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

If there's anything I know about the American revolution, it's that the colonists were more successful because they had a bigger, better-equipped, and more expensive military.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

North Korea!

....in every Hollywood fantasy, I guess. And war hawks seem to seriously believe in Hollywood fantasies.

To be fair the only reason China isn't the villain in those is because the studio wants the movie to be released there.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Dirty Job posted:

Conservatives are quick to rationalize how business owners are supposed to maximize their profits and thus never increase wages beyond the minimum, but denying service to paying customers is ok so long as you disagree with the customer's lifestyle.

If refusing some possible customers causes other customers to intensify their support then it's a smart business move. Obviously that wasn't the case here because conservatives vastly underestimated how many people supported their position, but the idea that a bigger pool of potential customers always makes you more money is the same logic that Rand Paul used to argue that the civil rights act was unnecessary.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

I feel bad for victim-blaming but all I can imagine is a high school aged Steven Crowder and James O'Keefe provoking people into feeding their persecution complexes.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Who the gently caress wrote this? "Inflame Latino passions," seriously? Here's a better local news article that wasn't passed around the conservative blogosphere:

http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-california/hollister-gilroy/court-live-oak-high-school-can-ban-us-flag-shirts-for-safety/24723464

A group of students showed up in concert wearing American flag shirts to intentionally upset people. From this it seems like this isn't a new problem and the school cracked down to enforce their dress code.

Hey I was right

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

BUSH 2112 posted:

I thought the cartoonist was referring to the fact that designing rockets that could put a man in space was just a nice side-effect of researching rockets that could rain down nuclear fire on the USSR. The space program was just the friendly face of the same old blood lust.

The smoke coming from the command module area of the rocket and the fact that it's from 1967 probably means it was in reference to Apollo I.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

There was the dijon mustard incident. And arugula, I think.

Of course, you can get both those things at most grocery stores, and I've seen Walmart-brand dijon, but still. Fancy names.

When I was a kid I thought the Grey Poupon limousine commercials meant it was actually high-class stuff and I was convinced my family was rich because I found some in our fridge once after that. Given that conservatives are absolutely horrible at telling when things are sincere, maybe they think dijon mustard is only for rich people too based on the commercials.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

Your reaction is correct. This country is a disgusting example of quantity over quality.

America, known throughout the world for sending their students to school for more days than other countries' schools.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

I just realized that the graph is in the shape of a boob.

Was that entirely :thejoke: or was something newsworthy also happening with the breast implant industry in 1993?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

ThatPazuzu posted:

What's the thing about heat disproving evolution?

Creationists believe that life evolving into more complex forms violates the second law of thermodynamics so heat "proves" that entropy exists and therefore life can only get less complicated over time.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

I had to double-check the Luckovich one because I was sure I had seen something like it before and the fact that it looks like he accidentally wrote '13 wasn't helping.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

It probably took every amount of willpower he could muster to not draw a sunken ship in the background covered with all sorts of over-detailed fiddlies on it and possibly a "Mission Accomplished" banner.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

StealthArcher posted:

Hate to tell you, but that, on the right side, is most likely a crass-hatched ship.

Impossible, nowhere near enough pipes and radar stuff.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Even if you accept the premise that this cake is something a Muslim would absolutely not want to back, there's just something so quintessentially Republican about seeking out the services of someone who probably isn't very experienced with doing something for the sole purpose of trying to piss them off with your business. I'm sure there are many better places to get a pig liquor cake in his town.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

I need an example of irony for a class I'm taking. Has Kelly ever done a "If global warming, why cold :smug:" cartoon?

If not, I'll settle for another Kelly, it's not a big deal.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

VCU lost their NCAA tournament game in shocking fashion tonight, I wonder if JRRose! will have anything to say about it.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

You'll regret it, but here you go.

Right-winger sure is mad that the government isn't doing a thing.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Shugojin posted:

I don't get all the fuss over a college football athletes' union. I mean, the average tuition for a Big 10 university, assuming out of state, is a bit under $30k/year. Probably about another $10k/year for a decent apartment and food. That's not a great reward for the decent risk of injury, y'know?

But then I think harder and I realize it's because MANLY FOOTBALL PLAYERS RAUGH + THOSE AWFUL UNIONS :ohdear: = utter confusion.

Northwestern is private so it's a good bit more than that but yeah.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if it tied back into the Koreans-as-child-race domestic propaganda too.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

The Crotch posted:

"Crimea river" - Chris Muir, weeks after everyone else already made that exact loving joke.

So Tinsley will get to it in about two weeks then?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

alnilam posted:

Branco: Still on about ACORN in 2014. Better than still being on about golfing?

Do a teleprompter next :neckbeard:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Doesn't being in a military base kind of, you know, change the situation a LITTLE bit from the usual conservative cowboy fairy tale?

Yeah, it changes it to "Obama locked the guns all away and neutered Are Troops so they couldn't defend themselves against his fifth column."

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

CampingCarl posted:

Probably that or he happened on a blog post from that time that made a comparison. From his track record he doesn't have to have seen what he is talking about.

Firefly pretty regularly tops the list of National Review-style "media that proves conservatives are actually winning the culture war" articles, too.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Citizen Soldier was also the name of that 3 Doors Down song/National Guard advertisement from ~10 years ago. He could just be trying to emphasize that The Troops are ordinary people, though for him that either means they bleed like everyone else or that they will join the uprising against Obama's Brownshirts once Real America stands up for itself.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

...okay (a) how the gently caress does a show cancelled for low ratings demonstrate you'reading winning anything, and (b) how the gently caress do you look at any work from Joss Whedon as conservative?

a) You can make a legitimate argument that it could have gone on longer if Fox hadn't been screwing around with time/episode/ordering/promotion etc (i.e. the same stuff they were doing that got Family Guy and Futurama cancelled and those obviously turned out fine), b) the lyrics to the theme song and Adam Baldwin.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Yeah it's basically true that Fox mishandled a lot of shows at the time, Firefly included, but I still really don't see it having gone beyond two seasons even if they hadn't. It's just slow paced and didn't really sell itself having a unifying plot line during its one season.

Plenty of popular sci-fi shows have/had mostly one-off episodes, especially at the beginning of their runs. Either way, the point is that since Firefly did get cancelled prematurely, the conservative writers who trump it up can exaggerate the cultural relevance it could/would have had. Plus it's a cult favorite of Comic-Con types and with that sort of stuff getting so big in general, the "hip" conservatives need something to call their own that's more plausible than Iron Man.

E: that and it's a big favorite of the internet libertarian/infowars type conservatives which is obviously where Muir gets all of his news.

Dr.Zeppelin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 20, 2014

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

What is Don Portago's native tongue anyway? His Spanish is even worse than his English, so Spanish must be like his third language.

He lives in Argentina and Muir loves him, so probably German.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Surprised he didn't make the cross a little donkey instead.

• Locked thread