Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm shocked, this actually makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

My first linux was a Slackware 1.2.13 on an 80mb partition in a 486dx66.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Barnyard Protein posted:

its linuxes all the way down

yo dawg i herd u liek linux so i got a linux to put in yo linux so yo can linux in yo linux wat up

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Irony: when the SSL cert is broken on security.debian.org, despite being available from debian.org, and even installing the certificate does nothing to help. This means that alternate repositories are more trustworthy than the security updates repository :ughh:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I've used x200s and SL500s with good results but YMMV, some models have absolute junk for acpi/BIOS like nbsd said.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

thebigcow posted:

After letting Fedora update whatever it wanted to, GRUB wouldn't load at all.

Booted a live USB thing and it looked like everything was there that should be.

Then I got the idea to turn the secure boot setting on my xxxxxxtreme gamer motherboard from "Windows-UEFI" to "Other-OS" and it works again.

This has been today's GNU/Linux experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Secure_boot_2

HTH. I shudder to think what UEFI looks like on a Lenovo laptop ughhhh.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

fvwm and awesome look tempting but perl and lua coding in configurations is not what I want from a window manager, so it's openbox or xfce for me.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Is this the final blow to GnomeOS??

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh man the conversion to utf-8 was painful, I don't recall bothering with any clipboard in X until well after that because the results were so unpredictable.

Speaking of old UI's, the latest and greatest SGI Irix 6.5:

I have an O2 running this. I do not miss italic window headers. You can see more unix UI car crashes here. The SunOS desktops were loving dire.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tankakern posted:

konsole is the best one

I like konsole too, it satisfies the principle of least surprise, I can configure it simply without programming it, I can have different settings in different session tabs and it doesn't interfere with tmux, which everyone should run regardless of terminal emulator because it fixes all of them.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

eschaton posted:

seriously you’ve got your timeline all mixed up and it does not support the point you’re trying to make

May I interrupt this slapfight with a couple of observations: the Unix of that era was still betting on corporate sales and gui's were bolted on especially after Sun had success with workstations but microprocessors were seriously disruptive, and killer apps started selling hardware not the other way around.

By that stage Unix was having so many internal shitfights over standards it really wasn't paying attention to what was changing in the market, much like IBM and DEC couldn't or didn't shift their focus to meet the combined Mac/PC onslaught. And it was too late, the corporate world woke up to the savings they could make.

As much as it disrupted the Unix world, Linux probably saved Unix by making it work on the new microprocessors and eventually undercutting Windows on a huge raft of systems. Nobody could have seen this coming even in the mid 90's.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how are people still working on reactos in tyool 2018

I was wondering this very thing the other day when looking at a roundup of VM images. It's a bit like freedos was, seemingly in the doldrums for years and then one day, updated and compatible when you least expected it. But when you can fire up the real thing in a VM, why go to the effort? For Freedos, it's the seamless networking compatibility, I'm struggling to name anything similar for ReactOS.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

still need freedos for badly-designed firmware update packages :(

Well it boots from usb, can't ask for more than that!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

HPUX was a mess. But something that concerns me more about recent developments is how AIX worked, particularly at the system administrator level. It feels like linux could be repeating that history. It's a stodgy, obstinant, and complicated interface that is unhelpful to those coming from a different Unixy background. Even Æleen Frisch had to admit it was er different in the 2nd edition of Essential System Administration, and it was gone by the 3rd edition. We need a new edition of that book.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

pram posted:

junior nerd going for their Stalltroll badge :eng101:

Lol.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

we really just need to agree that linux isn't an operating system, it's a family of loosely-related OSes

even ignoring weird poo poo that nobody should use like android

red hat is different from debian is different from gentoo is different from arch

A few years ago I might have agreed with you but really all that separates distributions are their administration methodologies, and even those are falling into line. Indeed, it's a matter for survival for the commercial distributions because Microsoft is now on the Linux Foundation board and they're buying loyalty left and right. Soon we may live in a world of Microsoft-approved Linux and the rest. Stallman's butthurt whining about whose OS it is will matter even less.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

jit bull transpile posted:

Aren't the debían project leads like completely insane though?

How so?

Ok there was that one time they had a pointless slapfight with the cdrecord dev and produced that wodim garbage that made coasters and everybody hated it and they had a tanty and stopped maintaining it.

Or that one time they had a pointless slapfight with the deb-multimedia guy because users preferred his repository and engaged in a competitive renumbering and dependency conflict war to discourage them until users en masse pinned it higher.

Surely those were just the bad apples.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

does debian still rename all of mozillas stuff?

No, the iceweasel saga is over. I'm not sure how it was negotiated but I always thought Mozilla had a legal case against it.

pram posted:

when debian replaced ffmpeg with avconv or whatever the gently caress was stupid as hell

Ah I forgot that. That was the initial spur for many users to use deb-multimedia for a usable ffmpeg package. Avconv was as hosed up as the wodim poo poo too, it was terrible.

Progressive JPEG posted:

how about when the xscreensaver developer got so annoyed with bug reports for ancient debian builds that they snuck in a security warning about out of date versions into the password prompt

What an embarrassing shitshow that bug report is. Apart from the technical issues around things like systemd and selinux, it was the fait accompli nature of Debian "policy" that sparked the initial flamewars over them.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

how about when the xscreensaver developer got so annoyed with bug reports for ancient debian builds that they snuck in a security warning about out of date versions into the password prompt

I finally got to the end of that bug report and the maintainer was actually the sane one. And then much amusement as the bug tracker succumbed to spam.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wodim is now the active project and cdrecord is one crazy guy's hobby on solaris

Granted, Schilling is nuts, but that doesn't make wodim any less crap nor will I ever need to use it because cdrtools works. It's an imperfect world, but if it works, I use it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Creative deserves its fate, I don't blame Microsoft for taking that stand. There was a time when you had to be very careful not to load new Sound Blaster drivers until all other hardware was configured or it would happily gently caress up modems, network cards, you name it, just by PCI contention because Creative didn't hold with that "give up your config if it conflicts" nonsense. I liked Ensoniq's better but Creative had to gently caress them up too when they took them over. Still have a couple of Live cards hanging around.

But Linux sound is fine as long as you're just playing back something. It's when you want to INPUT sound that it's a pile of garbage.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There are now quite a few Mono-based games in steam. You're hosed if you try to compile any though, I was trying to recompile SMAPI last night because the release refuses to work, and because msbuild has issues with frameworks on linux and the solution uses multiple frameworks, one or the other will kill the build. So yeah, lol.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tankakern posted:

yeah, i bet that figuring out what framework you should choose for compiling your c# is a big deal for people wanting to play games through steam on linux

It's a mod, dummy. The game is fine.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I just threw on Witcher 3 under steam play, shocked that it works so well.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Shaggar posted:

why would they waste time with Linux if they could afford windows?

People still pay for windows?

edit:

code:
pskill()
{
    local pid=$(ps ax | grep -i $1 | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}')

echo -n "killing $1..."
    kill -9 $pid
    echo "slaughtered"
}

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 24, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

nice dumb rear end code that cant be used to kill grep, and will almost certainly kill the wrong thing if you use it to try to kill `sl`

Congratulations, you're the dumbest poster :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

apparently some old version of bash used to ship with that alias? okay?? doesn't make it any less stupid

Omg what a precious puddle :D Do tell us all the terrible times you had to kill grep and "s1"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

The older I get the more I believe nerds are actually terrible and I was just blind to it my entire life.

You're not wrong, check out the debian texinfo maintainer:

https://www.preining.info/blog/2018/09/sharp-did-it-again/

it's like they have a woman-hating disease.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sure they can. And Linus & Co can happily take the snapshot just before that and continue to work, that's also a right under the GPLv2. It's not retrospective.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

selinux is necessary and important whether you like it or not

Oh you're one of those idiots.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

eschaton posted:

what’s the expected timeframe for Microsoft buying Ubuntu after this move from IBM

Lol i was just thinking about that, it can't be far off.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Laslow posted:

if IBM ports over some OS/2 Warp themes, i'll be all over that because i am a person of awful taste, which has got to be their target market, certainly.

OS/2 Warp: "let's take the windows 3.1 themes and bitcrush them!" My brother had the 32 floppy version.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

IBM bought themselves some kernel developers whose new priority will surprisingly be not PC hardware. Meanwhile Microsoft buys influence on the Linux Foundation who pays PC hardware developers.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

---- decent ----
RHEL
centos
---- tolerable ----
debian
ubuntu
---- trash ----
arch
gentoo
devuan
ubuntu derivates
fedora

nice meltdown

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes

every bit of that post from 2014 is still relevant, because canonical is poo poo and ubuntu will always be poo poo

convenient that i never have to update the post to reflect subsequent improvement, since there's never any improvement :smith:

I can't see why Microsoft would want to buy Canonical for any reason than to take its IP and withhold goodies from Oracle if it gets in first.

edit: apologies to all, that was dumb.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 1, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The IRIX version of CDE is big on italic fonts, its a bit weird. Also the default theme is like that terrible old Windows candy theme but just dialled a bit down in saturation.

There's still something nice about an uncluttered motif desktop.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

irix has its own proprietary desktop called "indigo magic," with a special version of motif that's big on italics and silly effects

Yeah they renamed it to "Interactive Desktop", behold its glory (not my machine, that's a doorstop currently):

Tankakern posted:

i cant remember if i've white noise posted about this before, but it crossed my mind because of all the CDE chat, that someone has implemented NeXTSTEP for linux...

has anyone tried it?

IIRC that was Window Maker.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 3, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

eschaton posted:

you should get it up and running

what model do you have

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

judging from the screenshot, he's got an r5k o2

It wasn't a screenshot from my machine as I said, but yeah an r5k. It's a bit slow, but it was the only O2 I could get my hands on, and mostly that's how you can legally get a copy of IRIX anyway (other than harddisks). I've had it for 9 years now and it still works. I just don't run it all the time.

I fire it up every few years to check its scsi disks, and of course the battery is long gone, but the RTC chip is still okayish, so there's always a couple of boots and it panics occasionally with the ram (i have a lot of spares, noone wants that old 128m ECC ram). It also needs a new cdrom drive.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you stumble across a copy of 6.5.22m or 6.5.30, use it guilt free. sgi was happy to give those away, two bankruptcies ago.

I know that, but you need to reeducate the rest of the internet then. Go ahead, we'll wait :keke:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

6.5 was initially five, then nine, and just kept expanding. it became very clear you were really meant to have an nfs install server.

code:
docker pull dexter1/irix-install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The_Franz posted:

and apparently 7 as well, since they will require glibc 2.19

they are also dropping support for non-ext4 filesystems. good thing rhel doesn't default to xfs or anything like that...

That seems an odd decision...wait, are they assuming atime on ext4? Because xfs uses relatime which is effectively the same as noatime. If so, that's pretty dang dumb of dropbox, first thing i do on a home filesystem is noatime.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not horrifying

the things you have to do to a unix host to make it an irix install server are ... terrible.

Yeah, its a good use case for docker, when you need something that's a bit more specific than a chroot jailed host. Athough I don't use nfs with any kind of security on a home lan, it is nfsv4 which is way over the head of Irix and older linux/unix hosts.