Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Dude you're in the woods. Jack it in nature and don't rugburn your cock.

E: I mean unless I'm misunderstanding the ise of the sock. I'm not sure why someone wouldn't just jizz on the bushes or a bear or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I highly encourage everyone to try it.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I kinda want a bear table now.

Pretty sure that's an inbred lion

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

To be fair, I’ve never encountered a story in the PNW where someone threw an alligator through a drive-thru window.

Pretty sure the closest we'd get would be throwing a small, inoffensive newt and probably missing the window.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

xtal posted:

You could get upset to the same degree someone gave your child an unsolicited popsicle. The "without their permission" part is the hosed up part. Even when dosed correctly, which almost none of the general public knows how to do, melatonin at best suggests that you fall asleep. The article makes it sound like chloroform.

Yeah the whole "she endangered the kids with melatonin!" thing is overblown. The rest of the poo poo she pulled was was more of a problem.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Is there a reason they don't just fill a room with nitrous and kill them that way? Seems like that would be incredibly easy and humane.

...oh :smith:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Nitrogen is actually a pretty humane way of execution. It doesn't trigger any suffocation reflex. It's just one minute everything feels normal, and then lights out.

I mean if we absolutely have to kill someone, displacing oxygen with nitrogen is probably the most painless method.

Same. Better than stabbing someone with a ton of needles and poo poo. At least they wouldn't feel any pain.

But, 'murica.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"we got no food we got no jobs our kids HEADS are fallin' off!"

Hehehe

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

FireWorksWell posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification. You can't really blame soldiers for acting under orders.

I don't know about that, present-day soldiers know they're signing up to follow any and all orders. It's not like they're unaware they're going to be asked to do things that will possibly be terrible. Don't want to murder people you may think are innocent? Don't join an army.

E: Then again recruiters are partially to blame for soldiers being unaware of how bad war is. They really sugar-coat everything.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I ate the same dinner every day for a year and only order two types of chips from mcdonalds so I think I'd be really powerful in a cult

Wait two types of chips? What? Like potato chips or two kids of fries? McDonald's near me only has fries. One kind.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

18 year olds are children and should not be put in a position where they can and have to kill people, in my opinion

I loving agree that they should not.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I feel like letting people join a military straight out of their parents' home and school is terrible (but obviously great for a country that wants to fight everyone.) I bet a lot less would join if they had to wait and got to experience 18-21 and living on their own and whatnot first. After being able to do whatever I want I'd never want to go back to getting orders.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Have we talked about the Sodder childrens' very strange disappearance?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-children-who-went-up-in-smoke-172429802/

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

As far as the baby thing goes why not just do what the poster on the last page said and leave one-- or better yet, both-- shoes in the back seat with the baby? No one forgets shoes and even if you did some jackass out there would be keen on pointing it out to you asap anyway.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Well that's a bit disturbing. I'm curious exactly how he got stuck.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Jeremy_X posted:

I'm not trying to be ghoulish here but I can't for the life of me figure out how this could happen and need a diagram. I just can't work it out.

loving same.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I figure he was very big and suffocated himself, or very small and the seat smooshed and suffocated him.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It sounds similar to the Kendrick Johnson case, which has been mentioned a few times before. (The link is possibly :nms: as you can see a bit of Johnson's body.)

The most likely scenario with Johnson is that he, like others in Lowndes High gym classes, stuck his shoes on top or just inside of a rolled up wrestling mat (the mat standing vertically). The shoes fell inside and Johnson climbed atop the mat and then in the center of it to retrieve the shoes. Johnson became stuck and asphyxiated.

The case has unfortunately turned into a big-time mess. The police were likely incompetent in their early handling of it and Johnson's family came to believe their son was actually murdered. They've brought numerous lawsuits and several times over the past five years have protested at the courthouse and various other locations. It's completely understandable their grief, but every nearly every accusation they've had has been proven to be incorrect. It's an awful situation that may not ever totally fade away. Hopefully, they'll eventually find some peace.

The funeral home really hosed this one up too. Someone replaced his insides with newspapers, if I remember right.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Pick posted:

I'm normally the last person to throw this line out there, but it's clear someone needs to get fired.

When I was security I learned that a lot of dispatchers leave very important information out when they're talking to cops going to the scene. Like "this woman robbed the bank across the street last month saying she had a bomb" and "he has a gun in his pantleg" and also "the car is bright loving neon purple."

I can't count the number of times the cops came to the scene clueless other than knowing they needed to show up.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

loving christ that's sad and true as hell.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Child having behavioral issues? Some rabies will fix that right up!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/04/homeopath-treated-4-yr-old-boys-behavior-problems-with-saliva-from-rabid-dog

(Fortunately, it was homeopathic rabies. So it couldn't kill anyone.)

Holy poo poo good job Health Canada.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Hey if we can clone people we can at least have our own bodies with our old-rear end brains. Seems like a sweet deal to me.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I feel my Mom would rather I remember the jokes from the funeral instead of the day I found her and while I do have friends who still insist I should go to therapy to try to remember that day, I just keep something my Intro to Psych professor said about sometimes recalling something your mind's blanked out isn't beneficial to you and that as long as you can function in life, then you don't need to. So I have my days where I wish she was around to share things I've experienced or to be able to ask her for advice on, and I do feel it stronger around the day she passed, but I figure that's normal and I'm okay just keeping on.

Yeah keep doing you, your friends are trying to be helpful but they're also being dumb.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Dyaltov Pass was almost certainly an avalanche. Snow falls, kills a couple people, the rest run and leave their stuff behind, then take their clothes off because they're freezing to death. The radiation was likely from their thorium camping mantles, which even have radiation warnings on them and the radioactive dust can get everywhere if you're not careful as hell with those things.

People die snow camping/hiking all the time, especially young cocky people. It's dangerous for experienced. And animals eat faces because they're apparently tasty as gently caress.

It's not so much a cool mystery as it is Soviet Russia loving up an investigation.

E: also yeah my ex's best friend told us he had one nut and my immediate response was "holy poo poo can I see that dude?" Missing or extra nuts are just something you have to see, like a tail.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 22:06 on May 28, 2018

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Wouldn’t there have been evidence of an avalanche though, especially when the first bodies were found?

There was evidence of an avalanche, including four bodies that had been crushed by snow and buried. It wouldn't even have to be huge to kill a few dudes and gently caress a campsite up, and make the rest of the campers panic.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Kinda ties back into earlier posts but I've also read that radiation being detected was either outright made up at one point or a mistranslation of sunburnt. It apparently just appeared in tellings of Dyatlov Pass at one point and seems to have dropped off in recent tellings.

It might be a bit like the Lead Masks Case (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Masks_Case) where for the longest time people assumed that the lead masks were creepy radiation masks and not just some homemade goggles.

Yeah, I mean either way I don't think the radiation thing was the weird UFO poo poo it was made out to be.

Now I've only been in a snowy place a few years but can't you get one hell of a sunburn from snow on a bright day?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Peeny Cheez posted:

So did it look super weird or just lopsided?

You know, if you didn't know what you were looking for you wouldn't even notice.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Yeah that really wouldn't be much of a blip on my conscience. Torturing someone is extremely not a thing I could do.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I mean he’d probably still win on account of “has murdered before” vs “has not and probably never will” but you know

I dunno, most people are itching to live and will defend themselves against someone trying to murder them very hard.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I can definitely understand that she didn't believe there was another way. Her mom could likely walk up to any authority figure and wouldn't be challenged because she had all that paperwork saying her daughter wasn't able to take care of herself.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Holy poo poo.

Would it be terrible to show my friend those pictures next time I catch him doing over 100 in farmland? We all refuse to ride with him because frankly he's going to end up dead or killing someone or both.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Pick posted:

Can anyone spoiler text a desc of the photos? Not the photos.

Description of the photo below :nms:

It's basically half the girl hanging out of the car. Most of her face is torn away and you can see skull/brains/etc. She's pretty much smashed.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Yeah not pretty. I really am going to show this thing to my idiot next time he's driving like poo poo.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Honestly if the pictures have changed just a few peoples' driving habits and hopefully saved a few lives, I can't say them existing and being available is bad. Sending them to the family with sick messages is some hosed-up kid poo poo but that's a whole different issue.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

So kinda weird but I'm a hop, skip and jump down the coast and we don't have feet appearing in the good ole US of A. Like what the gently caress makes severed feet show up in the land of nice folks but not a half state down the coast?

E: oh god nevermind, five of those were found in WA within an hour or so of my place. Well drat.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Jun 30, 2018

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Sid Vicious posted:

Sorry I have been getting this thread seriously off topic, I was reading this wikipedia article earlier today about an absolutely horrifying group of diseases that can afflict any living creature on earth called cancer, scary stuff

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I'm happy my relationship only has cancer to deal with. Easier than stupid drama.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

We usually had a mangled car near student parking. We also had a lot of idiot teen drivers get seriously injured and one girl got run over by a bus.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Caganer posted:

fish poop gently caress in it :ohdear:

E: wasn't the last "sound attack" found to be random illness and a just a poo poo ton of mass hysteria?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Kanine posted:

a really unnerving thing to read about is just the shear scale of genocide perpetrated against native american populations by europeans and how surviving native americans have salt rubbed in that wound almost every day.

Im employed by a local tribe and seeing the poo poo they go through with the government is just loving heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

big dyke energy posted:

The amount of people who said "I'll kill myself if I get dementia/can't care for myself anymore" and still end up in a nursing home for years dependant on others is astoundingly high.

I took care of a woman who had about a similar memory span due to her dementia. All she would do was ask about her husband, where's Dan, where's Dan, where's Dan non-stop all day at all hours of the day and it didn't matter what you told her she'd ask the same question in a few seconds. But when her husband visited, she was fine. Still confused and not capable of taking care of herself, but happy and able to have regular conversations.

If you've never had to answer the same question a hundred times at three and you....are not missing anything.

Being a caregiver for someone with Alzheimer's is loving terrifying. I will absolutely be gone the instant I don't recognize my loved ones or need help taking care of myself. A death from that disease is nothing but suffering, and I can't imagine wanting to draw out my death for ten years while my family watches in horror.