Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah but you can just put them all away and never see them again. Cleaning them out is fine and not weird. Being obsessed with nuking them from your library however, is 100% weird when you can make them totally invisible. It's digital goods, it does not accumulate physical space, there is no benefit to going beyond hiding it or removing it from the library. This might be the dumbest hill to die on I've seen in this thread.

You must have been out the days feminism and the ACLU came up.

"I don't want to keep garbage" isn't even a hill, it's what sane people do in the physical world and it just happens to have more subjective value in the virtual world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Dias posted:

Armello is based on a board game, right? I think I saw the board game but not the videogame, but it should pretty much translate to a SRPG with cute bunnies.

It would be cool if someone who has it can explain it because the store page looks neat but I'm totally not getting how it plays.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

You travel the world completing quests and fighting enemies to get stronger, eventually to fight the King. The King is slowly dying every turn, so every turn that passes it gets easier to kill the King. The person to kill the King first wins. It's a turn based digital boardgame.

Thanks! That's definitely neat, didn't realize it was all the way board-gamey.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Hey, so, you guys wanna talk about some games? No? Too bad, the Weeklong Deals came back!

Did you buy these yet
Caves of Qud (review) - The ultimate classic roguelike, wide-open and constantly being added to
Sproggiwood (review) - A lighter, fluffier roguelike with some neat classes and enemies
Super 3D Noahs Ark (review) - A perfectly serviceable Wolf3D reskin with fruit and animals
EDGE (review) - Very slick puzzle game about navigating a cube through stylish levels
Shadowgate (review) - An excellent revival of the classic horror adventure
Mirror Mysteries (review) - Probably the most bare-bones hidden object game that's worth playing

I haven't played anything straight-up bad from this week's offerings, but maybe I'll fix that. :shepicide:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Strider is very much worth a dollar. Not a groundbreaking metroidvania but it has some of the best combat you're going to find in one.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Painfully weak-rear end posting gimmick. Doesn't come up all that often though, and he's pretty reasonable the rest of the time.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

HenryEx posted:

Simmons, you gently caress.

I heard you just have to shoot him.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

thats stupid why doesn't your review count if you buy a steam key from itch?

It happened the last time Valve revised their review system. Steam keeps track of whether you bought a title through their service or a 3rd party, and flags your review accordingly. This allows customers to filter reviews to weed out ones from, say, bundle purchases where the reviewer didn't even want the game in the first place. They took it too far, though, and barred 3rd party purchases from counting towards the review aggregate. Valve claims this is to combat developers giving free keys for positive reviews, but it's definitely hurt smaller developers as a whole because the only way they can get their ratings up is by encouraging their fans to purchase through Steam. And of course, Kickstarter keys are lumped into this so even if you spent MORE than the sticker price, you can't help the developer with a review.

On their first revision, they actually HID 3rd party purchase reviews from view by default, but people like me who take this poo poo too seriously got mad enough to make them back off.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

For anyone interested in the next chapter of my Steam review saga, I have a real website now. I'll be using it to better organize my reviews (once I get all 341 of them up there) and maybe do some other stuff beyond just reviews.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I've beaten EYE and I definitely did not figure some stuff out.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

My first town in Banished lasted thirty minutes because apparently the Gatherer's Hut is super important and crops aren't. :v:

Depending on the crop it can take months or years to really get things going, so your little dudes lean pretty heavily on nuts and shrooms from the gatherers early on. You can actually subsist just fine on a Gatherer's Hut and a Hunting Lodge for a real long time.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

So has anyone else here tried The Body Changer? Did anyone like it?

I know I’ve talked about game feel before, but it keeps coming up as a key feature that games either nail down or let slip away. Your game can be as clever or beautiful or engaging as can be, but if it feels bad to play then none of that is going to matter. In the case of The Body Changer, it can’t really rely much on the former so it’s all the more damning that the latter isn’t up to par. I’m being rather hard on it here… it’s a neat idea for a game, just not one that pans out on any level.

You’re going to have to pick bits of the story out of the utilitarian opening and extremely concise terminals everywhere, but you seem to be stationed on some water facility out in space. Something has infected the precious supply and turned it blood red, and it’s up to you to get the purifiers back on line and clean everything up. “You” won’t be doing it yourself, though, because in this version of the future you have SynBs, gormless cyborgs which you can control remotely. With their help, you’ll wade through pools of goo, seal pipes, blast corrupted ‘borgs, and maybe get to the bottom of this whole mess.

The Body Changer is at least named appropriately, because most of your time is going to be spent switching between bodies with different abilities. Some are combat trained, some are shielded against the infection, and some are helpfully color-coded for the big people-sized switches they need to stand on to open doors. Opening doors is your primary concern when there aren’t monsters around, either by finding keycards, triggering switch sequences with your laser wristband thingy, or making good use of the aforementioned floor switches. Levels tend to be linear in how you progress through them to the purifiers but that’s going to include plenty of backtracking and opening side paths.

That was where I started to sour on the gameplay, actually. Your first thirty minutes with the game will acclimate you to switching bodies, grabbing items, and interacting with useless terminals. You’ll get to a room where you take control of a combat SynB and gun down some zombie ‘borgs… and then get stuck. It turns out you need to take another body all the way back to the start of the tutorial to get a keycard to proceed. You’ll need to do some similar shuffling about in later areas too, with detours through three side rooms to get to the other side of a main room or runs back to the start of the level to open something with a new colored laser.

I can see the attempt at a metroidvania-style world here but it just doesn’t work as designed. Backtracking is incredibly boring here, owing to the slow movement, extremely plain environments, and lack of compelling secrets. The environments are huge offenders here, barely reminiscent of actual, livable locations with their plain cel-shaded walls and complete lack of detail. The characters and items are not much better, looking like inflatable versions of Aeon Flux characters and moving in stiff, barely-animated strides. Items simply poof out of the air when you touch them, and ammo is represented in the world merely as 2D icons.

Every time I sat down to play The Body Changer, I got an intense urge to do literally anything else after about fifteen minutes. It feels entirely too much like a game world, full of rigid facsimiles of people and rooms that serve no purpose beyond impeding progress. Why would you even have your door controls be giant laser-activated lights ten feet off the ground? I’m sure a lot of this is by design, considering the story about synthetic servitor beings and the dichotomy of purity and infection, but it doesn’t matter as long as the game simply feels bad to play. Even the menus are plain, badly-proportioned boxes that feel like placeholders. There’s a seed of a good idea buried in The Body Changer, but it would need a better, more polished game to bring it out.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Just lol if you haven't turned your hobby into work yet

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Now that I'm posting my Weeklong Deal roundups on an actual website, the coding is different and it's a pain in the rear end to re-do for something that most people probably scroll past anyway. If you want to check them out you can do so here, but at the very least you should probably pick up Refunct if you haven't yet. It's still being updated with graphical enhancements and new achievements, and is now playable in 27 languages.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Zereth posted:

I still want to see a genuine walking simulator.

Like, I mean, a hardcore high-detail hiking sim game. I wouldn't play it, I just want it to exist.

Miasmata

The majority of the gameplay is filling in your map using the orienteering system, and movement is momentum-based so you can easily kill yourself by jogging down steep hills too fast.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I really like Banished but I think the thing it really needs is some sort of political interaction. Once you figure out the basic forester/gatherer loop as long as you don't expand too quickly (and I almost did) you're golden. Something like having bandits raiding food stores requiring guards, or needing to eventually pay taxes or resources to some feudal lord, or events like a war breaking out requiring some of your men to leave and forcing you to survive on fewer people would mix it up pretty nicely. I know there are mods to add more stuff but it seems like it only expands that basic loop.

This has always been the big knock against Banished, it's really just a very, very pretty (and relaxing and charming and good) famine simulator. You build up and expand your town for the sake of expanding it, not to unlock things or influence any sort of metagame. The developer never said it would be anything more than that and certainly delivered on what it is.

Cactus posted:

Of all the games I picked up in the sale, Dead Cells is the one that I keep coming back to. These guys could school Nintendo in fluid and responsive character control schemes. It's a joy to play.

Amen to that. I was going to play a quick run before bed last night and stayed up an extra hour and a half swordfighting and exploding things. The current final boss is a real good mix of challenges without being absurd either, which makes me optimistic about how they can expand from there.

Speaking of absolutely phenomenal platformers, Hollow Knight gets its next free update on August 3rd.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Anyone want to Y/N any of the titles in the new Bundlestars deal?

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/dollar-rage-bundle

I figure even one decent game is good for a dollar :o:

I'll go to bat for the Crash Time games, they are endearingly Euro-jank (oh the voice acting) but the driving itself is surprisingly good with a decent open world and a fair feeling of speed.

I can cover The Silent Age, Hektor, Schein, and Nikopol for you. On the plus side, The Silent Age is a real solid point-and-click adventure with a neat time travel gimmick, and Schein is a very challenging puzzle platformer with a light-based mechanic that's used to the fullest. On the minus side, Hektor is indie jumpscare garbage that uses rape for spooks, and Nikopol makes no goddamned sense if you're not already familiar with the material (and even then has crap puzzles).

You'll get at least a dollar of enjoyment from the first two, I'd wager.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Why? Doom's good for its singleplayer. The multiplayer is actively mediocre, different launch competition wouldnt have saved that tacked on rubbish.

People who were set on picking up Overwatch might not have had an extra $50 set aside for DOOM, even if they were interested. They were released within two weeks of each other, that might have only been one paycheck for some.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

I have a gigantic backlog and about 80% of it is bundle trash, which makes searching for a new game to play a drag. Are there any websites/utilities that let me search the games I own sorted by different criteria? Ideally I'd love something that showed me games I own with less than 5 hours playtime sorted by genre/average steam review score. Does anything like this exist?

http://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I can't even really point out why it was so unsatisfying, either. Was it just because it was kinda slow and didn't feel dynamic? Was it because the enemies were pretty samey? Was it because I took the class whose flaw was that it moved 10% slower (why would you even consider this in your design!?)?

It's a shame because there was a lot to like about the systems in the Van Helsing games, but it just felt so plodding to go through.

I think it was a combination of the sound effects being weak and the skills not having much of an active component to them. My shooty-gun guy had like five different kinds of bullets, a trap, and some passive seekers, meaning almost every single fight was just deciding what kind of bullet to shoot. Even explosives sounded like dull thuds and didn't send enemies flying or anything, and I couldn't really set up situations where I blew up a bunch of dudes at once.

I liked Van Helsing overall and I was pretty happy to play through the whole thing (once), but it probably has some of the weakest combat among modern ARPGs. Diablo 3 really raised the bar with their sound design and visual feedback on smashing dudes, and any game that didn't work to catch up (like Grim Dawn did during Early Access) feels pretty lackluster as a result.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

The Weeklong Deals this week are kinda ugly, but if you'd like to peruse my rundown you can get some fun horror-y stuff like the Gabriel Knight remake and Zombie Driver. All of Arcen's games are on sale too if you want to grab Starward Rogue or AI War or some weird, kinda bad games.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Humerus posted:

I don't know if this is something you can answer or maybe someone else can help, but I got a popup notification that you had made an announcement about the weekly deals. "Cool," I thought. "I'll check that out."

I can't find the announcement. I go to your curator page, and there's your reviews, but no announcements. I go to community and I only see stuff for games, not curators. Where should I be looking?

You can find it halfway down the group's main page or on the group's announcements page.

I really hate the way Steam Groups are organized and I'm hoping they'll be more customizable or at least clearer in the future, but that's one reason I started a website for all this.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I swear this wasn't on the list when I made it but Titan Quest Anniversary Edition is in the Weeklongs for $4 and you should very much get it. Please direct all further queries to this sizable wall of text here.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Deakul posted:

Titan Quest suffers from the same problems as Van Helsing, it just has a better loot system and the setting is still pretty cool.

Combat is poo poo and unsatisfying and the skills aren't flashy enough, it also has a weird difficulty curve and some of the later areas are huge slogs.

Most of this is true but I very much enjoy Titan Quest's combat for one very important reason. In Van Helsing, dead enemies just kind of slump over. But when you kill an enemy in TQ, it goes ragdolling off in proportion to how hard you hit it. Their weapons and armor aren't subject to the same system, so you can punt satyrs and skeletons right out of their clothes. And if you play 2-hander barbarians like I tend to, you'll have those magic moments when all of your on-hit procs trigger at the same time and launch a foe into the stratosphere. Right hand to God, I once hit a skeleton so hard it landed in an entirely different map.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Deadlight suuuuuuuuuucks, and I played it long after the last update it got so I'm confident it still suuuuuuuuuuucks. Buggy platforming, lovely combat, stupid story, and a bunch of trial-and-error instant death sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I started playing State of Decay about a week ago and more than anything it made me regret not getting Dying Light during the last sale.

• Locked thread