Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
gently caress Java.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

GreenNight posted:

Love having to install java to run ASDM.

This is my reason right here.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You’re all telling me port security isn’t a standard security procedure? Lmao

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Rack studs are the poo poo. Can't believe nobody told me about these.

e: oh my god these are impossible to remove

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 15, 2019

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What’s the verdict on working at hospitals?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Wrong thread!

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 17, 2019

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Going from geek squad tier support to an L3 server/network team in a month and absolutely making GBS threads myself.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Working on labor day = scab

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
It might sound stupid but I find it impressive that I can have a terminal open inside visual studio and control Docker from it. Sci-fi poo poo.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Turn on BPDU guard fools.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Would be really great to not have to use 4 different chat programs to communicate to different teams.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Scum Master

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I have no permissions yet so I spent the entire week on an AWS terminal making increasingly convoluted bash scripts.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

LochNessMonster posted:

Just lol if your coworker didn’t drop all work at that point and told his manager “this way above my paygrade”.

Also shame on him for being such a little bitch that he’s wilfully underpaid like that. Because face it, if you’re 10+ years into IT and an entry level copy editor manages to get a 10k higher base salary it’s nobodies fault but your own.

Shocking level of arrogance here.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Bigass Moth posted:

He’s right. Knowing your market value is hardly arrogant.

That is not what the post said.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

KillHour posted:

That's all you got?

Our data flow/network diagram is much worse than this, if you can imagine that.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

The Gang Gets Agile Certified

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Well well well, old manager comes crawling back to me asking for help with a project because he's overwhelmed. Boy that really sucks, have fun dude!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
gently caress Jira

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Vulture Culture posted:

Can we post a Google Form the next time we decide to do this

Sirs I put it in Teams under the Daily Chat. Kindly see the form for instructions and ping me for questions.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
We just got permission to upload code to our home directories lmao, next is Rundeck. It's like loving pulling teeth when we are supposed to combine with a new product team that is almost all automated in addition to our lovely old one. drat the systems engineers and their little fiefdoms.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
This typhoon is really messing everything up!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
really when u think about it a vpn is just a jump box too...

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Pretty sure Hana is that piece of poo poo database manager from SAP.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Outsource your job to ICON OF JAVA Mr. Nagoor Babu Sir (M. Tech), Sun Certified and Realtime Expert

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What’s it like to work for psychos?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

wolrah posted:

I have one of these little bastards:

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar750s/

It has simultaneous dual-band WiFi and runs as a router-on-a-stick. It can connect to hotel or customer networks with either ethernet or the 2.4GHz WiFi radio and then it has two "LAN" ethernet ports and runs an access point on the 5GHz radio for my TV stick and phone to connect to. If I flip a switch on the side it tunnels all the traffic that would be heading for the internet out over a Wireguard connection to my VPS.

It has a custom UI by default, which is actually all I've used to set it up as described, but there's an "Advanced" link which takes you right to the standar "LuCI" interface anyone who's familiar with OpenWRT should know well. It's a very lightly modified OpenWRT underneath, with all functionality available as far as I can tell.

There's also support for USB cellular sticks and SD file sharing that I've never even used. It's quite a capable little box.

I just got this and it’s the poo poo. File server, SSH... And it’ll run from a battery bank. Crazy little thing.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Wtf poo poo outfit is it so I can avoid it

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CLAM DOWN posted:

He's joking you nerdlords

Troll detected

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Bonzo posted:

we had a manger that wore just socks in the bathroom. How you stand at a urinal with 3 or 4 other people in JUST SOCKS is beyond me.

When I am dictator for life I will make this poo poo illegal

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Also punishable by death:
- loud conference calls
- open offices
- eating at your desk
- mechanical keyboards

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

LochNessMonster posted:

You can take it from my cold dead hands!

Put silent cherries on it and shut up bitch!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Methanar posted:

Whats a principal then?

That’s the one you get sent to when you gently caress up right

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
After 2 months of research and hacking away, I finally had a breakthrough on a seriously important piece of software I’m building for our ops team. It turns out the extremely old and undocumented SAP application that controls our data feeds has a program written in Java that can parse properly formatted text files and turn feeds on/off. I discovered this through finding an unused shell script deep in a previously unknown directory that concatenates a text file with the formatted commands to the parser. Previously I had been totally unsuccessful trying to pass commands using expect or other means. Finally we will be able to meet our feed availability SLA.

This is basically digital archeology.

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 24, 2019

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Hate that crap, going to dodge as many as I can.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I mean there is niche stuff like you said but I think education is more important because vendors come and go, but concepts are timeless.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
lmao wow

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
My first few weeks I had nothing to do so I connected to my home systems and AWS to do personal projects. There is always something you can be doing to better yourself.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Thanks Ants posted:

And also that a decent amount of the time you end up working with people who are meant to be on your level and you just sit there wondering how they remember to breathe

“Decent amount of time” is pretty generous there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I’m grateful nobody has found me out yet because having to talk to former military people is the last thing I want to do.