Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
It could have been both that and a test for Seifer if he is mature enough to be trusted with anything.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Valiantman posted:

That's some impressive amount of arbitrary reasons for reducing points. Asking a wounded person how he's doing? NO Jumping down a small cliff? NO Chatting with your squad members? NONONO

They aren't medics so theres no real point talking to the wounded. While multitasking is nice and all isn't really effective when you have a mission to do still. Though the cliff and no talking to squad members is pretty bullshit.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Does it ever get explained why Galbadia decided to attack Dollet? If they just wanted to fix the tower it would have probably been way cheaper to just rent it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Cool Ghost posted:

It seems kind of weird that his roommate would be a girl whose name he didn't even know until she found them in Dollet.

Meeting his roomate as part of his mission for the first time would be pretty in character for Squall.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
What always bothered me is that the garden never taught Squall to dance just before the party. Military organizations do teach this kind of stuff just so the soldiers don't embarrass the entire unit in front of everyone else.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Kacie posted:

This latest section fanned my ire at the true culprit - Cid, for sending the very greenest of the green and without a briefing worth a drat. What did he expect to happen, when he knew full well the situation with Timber?

I think he expected at the very least for the seeds to not tell where they are from without a bit of torture.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

To be fair, I think that was supposed to be Selphie getting all flustered and heart-fluttery. Even though Irvine is just a creep that will hit on anything in a skirt.

I thought her heart was just failing her because shes been in too many trains for the past week.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Extra Tasty posted:

Also re: Rinoa. I see what they were trying to do with her whole development here, and there's actual opportunity for there to be nuance and intrigue. The least they could have done was make Caraway a little more...I don't know, outwardly evil or something? Just to give her an actual reason to rebel against him beyond something so typical.

He does do something pretty evil I guess but it gets revealed way later and you've probably forgotten who he is by the time it gets revealed. It's not straight out said either so it's even less likely you'll make the connection.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

ally_1986 posted:

This,

It kinda makes sense that the crowd would be cheering if Edea put them all under a spell but how come Squall and Cowboy are ok?

I always assumed it was because of the guardian forces they have.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
It's probably pretty clear at this point but I'll point out that General Caraway was probably the one who sent Laguna to Esther in the first place.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

But is there anything to support this theory besides Carraway having a higher rank and then hooking up with Julia? The game doesn't even say Carraway knew Julia before Laguna left, or that Laguna had ever met Carraway, let alone that Carraway was Laguna's commanding officer and was scheming to get rid of him.

This game definitely seems to inspire people to come up with a lot of fan theories, I'll give it that.

Yeah, this might be just my fan theory. I'm trying to find the dialogue in the first dream sequence I REMEMBER happened but seems like either Cool Ghost didn't find the obscure point you had to talk to the red soldier or my mind is making stuff up of a game I played like 10 years ago. From what I remember the red soldier had to be in a special position to even mention the hint toward Carraway and I don't see in the screenshots that he's in it any of them so I'm probably just remembering wrong.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Seifer/Squall contrast is really well done, I find. Seifer definitely feels like he should be the hero before this, he's loud, driven and enthusiastic, while at the same time being rebellious, all characteristics usually given to heroes (the rebellious and loud parts being key in basically every manga/anime ever). Squall is silent, unfriendly, and overly harsh, not particularly heroic attributes (admittedly, his harshness is just as bad as Seifer's constant insults). Even their designs seem to be made for us to think of them as the opposite they are: Seifer is almost entirely in light colours (blond hair, white jacket) versus Squall's far darker scheme (brown hair, black clothes). Of course, the roles they take only make this even more obvious: the "Knight" that protects the sorceress (basically the princess here) entirely because of his own drive, versus the mercenary from a shady organization who only cares about the money. This will become even more obvious because of a later scene that everyone seems to be dying to talk about every time Seifer comes up and for drat good reason, but let's let the game follow its own (admittedly flawed) pace.

That said, their developments show their true nature. Seifer's obsessed with his goal to the point that he's doing something blatantly evil for it, even moreso since he's constantly failed at properly proceeding down the path he wished for, the path of a SeeD. Squall starts as the perfect mercenary, only in it for the money and without any personal attachment to anyone or anything, but he's becoming more friendly and a better person, not to mention a proper leader. Perhaps the most hilarious thing is that I doubt either can see how they're changing. Seifer definitely can't, and Squall likely can't either.

The noble knight vs ruthless mercenary thing would work better if Squalls first mission wasn't charity work for a group of rebel clowns.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Nidoking posted:

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intended end state for the weapons. Those guards were probably either taking their time putting them in lockup and stopped to play with them on the way, or removed them from lockup to play with them.

Probably the real explanation is they didnt want to create a room just for the weapons. Easier to copy paste the floors over and over.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

If you could switch Rinoa and Selphie then it would pretty much be team gently caress up please die.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Pretty weird that Squall would forget the name and face of one of the four people he graduated with. What's up with that?

Whatever.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

curiousCat posted:

I'd argue Selphie probably could? But her demeanour isn't exactly the type that people naturally look towards as a leader that you'd choose at first glance in a crisis.

Selphie could probably make a fine squad leader if she puts her mind into it as we see on the missile base mission. Zell it's harder to say because he screws up so often that he probably wouldn't be really respected enough as a leader. Quistis kind of showed her flaw as a leader in the sorcerer assassination mission. Irvine is a complete joke and probably should never given any power ever. Is Irvine even a seed yet? Rinoa isn't even a seed. Squall on the other hand gets the job done at least. You don't need to be loved to be a squad leader, as long as the other members knows hes the most competent and actually motivated thats pretty much enough. Even the sorcerer mission he basically did what was expected. After the sniper shot failed, he ran to the evil sorcerer of old and tried to stuff a gunblade through her head.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I always assumed he just talked like Jabba the hut.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Probably :blush: considering this is supposed to be a love story or something.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
They also live on a bridge that takes you to Esthar. So they arent really irelevant as they like to think of themselves.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

So what? They could feasibly be taken as a military base if Galbadia wanted to stage an invasion of Esthar, but I don't think a single bridge is a very viable point of approach, and the Galbadian soldiers clearly have no interest in FH for that purpose.

For all they know FH could be infested with FILTHY Esthar spies. The last thing they want their base to have is those. Also the bridge is more useful as a supply line than anything. Would be pretty dumb to put youre entire attack force on a bridge that can be sabotaged.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
They might be cute but I prefer my sausage fest with Irvine and Zell. Mostly because back then I figured their limit breaks were the best.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
So wait, if they were stuck inside the tank, how many days did they go without food or water? :stare:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If the galbadian soldiers had stayed inside the tank it would have made more sense where they got the food.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Theres a later spoiler reason on why Squall was chosen I think. As to why Cid isnt leading, I'm pretty sure its been already stated he isnt really a military leader. He just founded SeeD with NORDs money. Also he probably doesent want to lead a mission that requires him to KILL HIS WIFE.

Schwartzcough posted:

What could possibly be more important for all the experienced SeeDs to be doing than accomplishing the one thing the Garden was created to accomplish? What could be more demanding of experienced soldiers than fighting a terrifying sorceress that makes entire nations cower?

You seem to be under some strange impression that before this the point of SeeD wasn't to make money.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
she sent soldiers to FH just now. she has no idea where Elonne is.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
He was born in the same continent as Galbadia is.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Psion posted:

Yeah, as players we're privy to all of Squall's doubts which make him look like the worst choice for the job, but to the rest of the world he's demonstrably competent.

One thing, about the veteran SeeDs. Back in the briefing for Dollet / the field exam...

It'd be nice if that was brought back up, but...Cid's the guy who said that. And Cid's the guy who just judged Squall the best qualified to do his current job. So ... :shrug:

Why Cid thinks Squalls the best for the job isnt weird when we consider he isnt telling Squall everything. I'm guessing why the more experienced SeeDs dont object to the decision is because they trust Cids judgement too.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The Cid thing is hard to talk about at this point since theres two very critical puzzles pieces missing we cant talk about at this point. In fact like everything else in this game, the explanation is like over 90 hours away from now and we will probably have forgotten this scene even happens by then. :v:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I'd like to point out Cids thought progress here: First Squall reports the sorceress has started to try and burn down cities in search of Elonne. Then Cid states theres no more time to wait and says he needs to make an anouncement. Then declares Squall is the leader and only explanation to Squall he gives is that its his destiny. While Squall is certainly competent, thats not why he was chosen. Cid for some reason states it's Squalls fate to lead them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Are you trying to imply that explosions arent great?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think they are holding a concert because they are stuck there so might as well party. Also I think the idea is that the other students are watching the band from outside the solar array.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I always play team sausage fest so Rinoa and Quistis.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Just a reminder.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

curiousCat posted:

I think there's a good explanation for it.

I dont think its much of a spoiler since we already know Galbadia and Esthar were at war a decade or so ago. This would basically be the equivalent of a world war in this setting id imagine.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Nigel because we wont be seeing him used ever again anyway.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Zells tragic backstory is that he cant get any hotdogs.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Wasnt the world unified 80 years ago? Would there even be diffrent languages anymore?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i think this is more of a dark souls type of deal where the plot is so stupidly subtle that the dumbest theories get made up.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

And that's why I hate that sequence. "I'm a cool dude but I have a crippling fear of actually shooting the gun and doing the One Job despite murdering hundreds of G-soldiers at point blank range."

I'd have been good if maybe it started

You seem to not understand how sublte the game is trying to be. Irvine going "you want me to kill mama sensei?!" is pretty blatant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Silegna posted:

I don't think Cid himself ever used GFs either. Also, did Seifer ever use GFs, or does he remember everything?

Asking Cid himself to start fighting is kind of harsh considering he probably never wanted to fight in the first place. He created a military school basically to kill his wife and he left the school as soon as he gave Squall command.

• Locked thread