Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I doubt they'd go after living people, but I'm sure they could wreck the hell out of smaller mammal, avian, and reptile populations.

The domestic house cat is one of the most effective predators on the planet. Anything that is smaller than them gets hunted and killed. They're little furry abattoirs.

BBC article:

quote:

Cats are one of the top threats to US wildlife, killing billions of animals each year, a study suggests.
The authors estimate they are responsible for the deaths of between 1.4 and 3.7 billion birds and 6.9-20.7 billion mammals annually.

quote:

The domestic cat's killer instinct has been well documented on many islands around the world.
Felines accompanying their human companions have gone on to prey on the local wildlife, and they have been blamed for the global extinction of 33 species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Haven't they though? Seems like every time you hear of another outbreak, it started in some tiny shithole community in the middle of bumfuck nowhere where kids go to church more than they do school.

Really? Most of the latest ones like the outbreak in CA seem more of the "but autism!" bullshit than from the "god will sort it out" idiots.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe it's just here in Canada. I believe the last two measles outbreaks here in BC were confined to small poo poo towns of a "highly religious" constitution.

Oh, I'm sure if we didn't have such a vocal and relatively large population of Wakefield adherents we'd be seeing more news of this coming from a lot of the fundie congregations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can we all just agree that all prisoners are subhuman and deserve every terrible thing that happens to them? In fact, I believe instead of prisons there should be giant stadiums where prisoners fight to the death for our entertainment.

WHERE ARE MY FUNNY VIDEOS OF DOGS RUNNING INTO TREES?

Prison talk, get out of the Skooty Fruity thread!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ZenMaster posted:

Similar to the 'Lisa Simpson' Olympic logo debacle, Hillary's presidential run logo kind of-sort of-looks like a plane hitting the twin towers.

That's what I'm talking about.

:dance:

Also, holy poo poo, did no one review this?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jeherrin posted:

Jesus Christ. This isn't a loving joke. What on earth? This looks like something the worst student in my Entry To Design class would have made.

The edges of the two colors make my eyes hurt when I focus on them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grey Fox V2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8R4lL2jMZA

He could have no kicked the tank but noooo he had to.

That crane is was worth way more than the whatever salvage that tank was going to net.

Couldn't he have punched some holes (using non-fire based technology) to drain it and then wait some more time for the vapors to dissipate?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roro posted:

http://www.dailydot.com/crime/random-darknet-shopper-seized/?fb=dd

Robot programmed to buy something random every week for art buys ecstasy tablets. After some deliberation, police arrest the robot.

Bitcoin, its value is measured by the sheer amount of schadenfruede it generates.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahaha. Holy poo poo, that driver just keeps on giving.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EZipperelli posted:

Also, you forgot Game Wardens and (in some states) Dept. of Transportation police. These 2 branches/services have the distinct right in most states of being allowed to search you, your car/home/cooler/whatever WITHOUT a search warrant, and it's still legal.

I'll try to find an official source, since all that comes up on Google is Yahoo Answers and a bunch of stoner forums.

I'd be really interested in seeing any source you find, since the courts have narrowly defined very specific exceptions to the 4th Amendment. Now they may say they can do this and trick you into consent*, but I'd be very interested in any cases where consent was withheld, there wasn't reasonable probable cause, or a warrant.

* - Law enforcement can, and does, lie on a routine basis while investigating. There is some weird misconception people have that cops can't mislead, lie or verbally trick people. As long as it doesn't lead into entrapment or involve coercion, cops can totally lie.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

As far as police lying, I've always wondered - is there any specific protection against police lying about being a lawyer? The common advice whenever you're potentially in deep trouble, guilty or not, is to never speak to the police directly, only under the direct consultation of a lawyer. Is there something that stops an officer from coming into an interrogation room wearing a suit and saying "Hi, I'm your publicly-appointed legal representative"

I think it's illegal in general to do that, since lawyers are officers of the court.

FAKE EDIT: Yep. http://answers.uslegal.com/courts/attorneys/16625/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

But how do they taste?

No, it's a cull. They either go to underprivileged schools or they're left for the feral boars to eat.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Better shoot it before it destroys the local ecosystem.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

What is that seagull trying to eat? Onion ring??

It's a bottle cap lodged in it's mouth. Can't go in, can't go out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Except the whole part where modders are making money on unlicensed use of assets in a game created, copyrighted, and patented by a company that would surely be more than just a little pissed that modders are making any money whatsoever off of their work.

Blizzard and tons of other companies take a very poor view to people charging others like this. For Blizzard anyway, there's a reason why they sue the poo poo out of people running unauthorized private WOW servers. It's not just because Blizzard could be losing potential subscribers, it's because the people running the private servers are literally stealing assets and technology created by Blizzard and then charging people to play on the unauthorized servers.

Which is why the 75% of the cost of the Skyrim mods that Valve grabs has Bethesda's cut baked in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Elfface posted:

How dare Valve stick to the terms of a contract agreed upon beforehand!

I'm guessing anyone reminding people in these Reddit threads that "No, it's not yours, it's Bethesda's." is just downvoted.

Yeah, they've made a value based judgement using emotion. No amount of facts or evidence will sway them. See anti-vaxxers, truthers, creationists and holistic medicine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

That's very true, wanting control over something you have personally created and having moral standing to complain even if not legal is exactly the same as a total rejection of basic science.

You must post at Reddit a lot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

People saying "B-b-b-but the contract SAYS :qq:" must be about thirteen years old and have no notion of how the real world works.

There's a line son, drat.

Yeah, you're right. We need to keep the drama and skoody-frood outside the thread.

I'll just apologize and blame the bacterial bronchitis I developed over the last couple days. That, or I'm a cranky, irritable human being...nah, it can't be that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bald dudes usually put sun tan lotion on their heads though right?

Yes, we do. A lot of it. Or wear a hat.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gromit posted:

It's the worst wake-up call ever that you're thinning when you get that first sunburn on your scalp. Yowch.

And the horror that is bumping your head on something, (gingerly) feeling for the damage and realizing that the whole top layer of the epidermis on your head is sliding off. Happened to me the first summer after I started shaving my head and played golf with no hat or sun-screen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Devor posted:

In the phrase "just deserts", that spelling is correct. It is a different word, based on the same root as the word "deserve", ie receiving something that you deserved.

Right, but newspaper. So "Just Desserts" would be the pun we would expect and desserve. A layered pun, if you will. Like a cake.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Clitch posted:

The guy in the work truck wasn't just cruising, after the camaro came up on his rear end. He was keeping the guy boxed in, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was calling the police.

Yep, I actually saw this more than once last summer during a road trip from Chicago to Raleigh. Or at least it's what I've always assumed is the case.

Driver *recklessly* weaving in and out of traffic already moving 5-10 mph over the speed limit on an Interstate
Some guy ends up boxing him in, usually with a semi-truck in the slow lane.
Driver tries to intimidate blocker by riding feet from the bumper, constantly flashing brakes.
After a few minutes, blocking vehicle moves over into slow lane. (the is the part where I always imagine HW patrol saying "OK, we're set")
Now infuriated driver speeds off over the horizon.
Everyone passes driver, now sitting in cop car at the side of the road.

It's the best feeling in the world.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

The saddest crime. Is being disabled not a protected class or something? Or did they fire him for memeing on duty?

I'm going to go with he was already on his way out.

I'm sure he was posting edgy comments to *prove* he was a psychopath. He probably posted something like, "I could totally kill everyone here at the office and I wouldn't feel a thing about it".

Somehow it got back to his place of employment, and they decided to take it "seriously". Problem solved.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gives you Ooooo!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm thinking a relationship founded on "Bitch, get out the way!" is not long for this world.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Looks like a panther.

All jaguars are panthers. So are all leopards and mountain lions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SpannerX posted:

No, mountain lions (cougars) aren't panthers. They have more in comon with house cats than jaguars. Cougars are genus puma, jaguars are genus panthera. Still, wouldn't want to tangle with either.

Yeah, my mistake. The cougar is called panther in some areas of the US (i.e. Florida Panther), but that doesn't make it correct. Good catch.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hydrolith posted:

Just because you have the legal right to be an arsehole doesn't mean you should exercise it. "Freedom of speech" doesn't mean "I should say or do whatever the hell I want, regardless of whether it upsets others", it means "the government can't throw me in jail for criticizing it".

No, it means the government can't throw me in jail for saying whatever I want, regardless if it upsets others. There's no right to be not offended in the US.

Of course there are very narrow exceptions to that. But ridiculing a religion is not one of them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I guess Prometheus makes a little more sense now that I see it happens in real life, too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RabbitWizard posted:

Enough power and friction to pull that dude around......wonder what would have happened if both sides "grabbed" onto him.

Btw, here's the video. So you don't have to search through pages and pages of results for "unicycle carwash".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtRrWSlsYt8

I think he grabbed onto the spinner he wrapped around, otherwise I think he would have been launched like a baseball in a batting cage.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wyoming posted:

This is my favourite crazy dude in DayZ video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFxEnwHiYLg

What's happening here? Was the book trapped or did he get restrained while being distracted by Moby Dick?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The ones for cleaning a deck can maybe, but not those dinky ones they rent out to clean cars with.

If the car washers were that strong people'd damage their cars all the time, and even hurt themselves and sue. Those things are weak.

Still child abuse though.

I don't think they're talking about the handheld wands, but the armature kind in a pull through wash. These are the big gently caress-off nozzles that rotate around your car like watery death robots. I know my car dealer recommended not using "touchless" car washes because the detergent combined with the water pressure can potentially chip the paint (not sure if that last part is true, but still being blasted by those sounds like all kinds of bad idea).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

It probably did judging from how the impact looked. Sand is only soft when you're laying on it and rolling around. Hit it at that height and speed and putting your arm out to brace yourself could easily result in it breaking or spraining.

I was thinking that every bit of skin that touched the sand while skipping across it after landing was probably stripped from his body. That's gotta sting.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's some good trigger discipline in that second gif.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It took me forever to figure out that he's actually wearing an air bag for bicycling and it mis-fired.

That's what it is, right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bird in a Blender posted:

Really, all bike helmets are single-use, but at least they don't blow up while standing in the office, or at least I hope they don't. This sort of accident is why I can't imagine any sane person buying one, even if they were priced like a regular helmet they wouldn't be worth it.

It's too close to being like those prison collars in the awesome Rutger Hauer movie Wedlock

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zemyla posted:

Goddamn, that little dude must hit like a ton of bricks.

He does. Look at how quickly he gets his fist up to speed before contact. Power goes up exponentially with acceleration and linearly with mass.

EDIT: My bad I used "Force" when I meant "Power"

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 21:42 on May 29, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Samsquamsch posted:

I'm drinking up the 'fruede in this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/37rfjz/silk_road_operator_ross_ulbricht_to_sentenced/

Everything from "He did nothing wrong!" to "NOBODY can prove he tried to have six people killed!" Never change, Bitcoiners.

There's one island of sanity in that whole thread.

quote:

Read the responses below and tell me this isn't the dumbest group of people you could ever imagine. Repeated references to "he wasn't charged with that though". It's almost as if none of you have ANY idea what this case was actually about nor how sentencing works. It's almost as if....you're all 15.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

`Nemesis posted:

The video of that is kinda terrifying because it sounds like they dropped quite a ways. there's a healthy delay between then falling and the sound of them hitting bottom.

At some venues, there can be a good 20 feet or so from the top of the stage to the floor of the basement below. Especially if set pieces can be stored and then raised to the stage, rather than lowered via a fly system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I feel terrible for the kid, but I can't stop giggling.

• Locked thread