Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

So I'm super casual and just got bit by a Minecraft bug recently and pretty much rely on Technic exclusively to play cool Minecraft mods but pretty much everything I care to try except Tekkit is refusing to actually run. I'm mostly looking for a more fantasy/magic leaning pack but Hexxit and Hexxit Revisited are just opening Minecraft, hanging, and closing back down to the launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Dunno-Lars posted:

Neither, I'm just here to watch the world burn.

Record you reading the logs with a deep manly voice, then post the recording.

Is it OK if I also set it to Lux Aeterna or would MMMBop be preferred

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm early in a solo game of sevtech (age 1) and i had to stick my head in and shout into the void gently caress abyssalcraft

this poo poo is not fun to engage with

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Anyone got hot tips for Tinker's smeltery automation in SevTech (age 3)? Things that I feel like should be working are not and I'm not sure if it's because of a rules change in the modpack.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

Liquid hoppers work well enough, just make sure to check all the settings and be aware running multiples will screw up.

(Also, if you get a autosmelt/fortune pick, you can mine smeltery brick for an increased amount of cracked smeltery brick. This is effectively free infinite grout and thank god for it.)

Nice, I didn't even know about this thing. Took a little jankery to get it plugged in right (input faces me when I put it down?? sure ok) and I had some fear it was a lossy process but 21 blocks of gold went in and 21 blocks of gold came out.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So it took programmatically searching a 30,000*30,000=900,000,000 square of blocks=900 square kilometer area to find a biome with some jungle saplings, and that biome ended up being a small tropical island.

this is why i enable cheats

you have to know when enough is enough

though i suppose when something becomes extremely bad it becomes a thrill to see how far down the hole is going to go

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

is there any name more pedantic than greg

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I prefer the mod that lets you grab poo poo if you have both hands empty so you're just sprinting through the world holding a spawner over your head while screaming

the only thing that would make it better is if the spawner kept spawning poo poo

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i don't know about twilight forest, it feels very unsatisfying very quickly, especially since it's STILL unfinished

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

A couple friends of mine that haven't really gone in on modded minecraft (but have played similar stuff) are looking to take a crack at it and I'm trying to hunt down a good modpack and looking for some suggestions.

Mostly something relatively crunchy (but not gregtech-level nonsense) with quest progression and dangerous mobs that are maybe a bit more aggressive about coming at your poo poo so you have to build defensively. In lieu of that right now I'm thinking Sevtech, which feels like the top-of-the-line progression-based pack that I know of.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah, i've played sevtech in solo myself. i think i tried loading enigmatica 2 expert once and my computer started choking but i've messed with some stuff since then and should give it another swing

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Now I remember why I never played Enigmatica 2 Expert

drat thing crashes while still loading mods every time I try to run it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Regrowth is really cool but I have a hard time going back to 1.7

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I can't say for sure what mod improvements would slot in for Regrowth, but there's just a lot of little QoL that I feel in 1.12 that I miss in 1.7. I haven't played a 1.7 thing in ages though so I can't list it out.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

OniPanda posted:

After bouncing off a couple quest packs, I've found I really like Break Out.

Started playing this after OniPanda mentioned it - is there any way to automate the wooden crucibles? I stuck a hoppered bonsai on a chest and stuck that on a hopper above a wooden crucible and that's not doing anything.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Nope, tried that, tried filling all the slots, didn't care.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i actually just hit the next pickaxe level so i'm tearing everything down, but that's probably what i did now that i look at my picture again

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Cool update: when I didnt place the hoppers like q child playing with his first legos it worked

It's a little clunky, the hoppers still suck up the wood/sticks/apples and need to be cleared out periodically

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Oh, no, they're hopping bonsais. The hoppers are on buffer crates because I didn't want the wood/sticks/apples to just vanish into the aether. I'm sure putting a regular bonsai on a hopper will do nothing, since regular bonsais need interaction.

The bonsais themselves are way more of a pain in the rear end than the hopping conversion.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm sad whenever a pack doesn't have Carry On

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

more like twilight forest is a huge frustrating slog

but the carminite tower is the worst of it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think the big standout of just how much of TF is really just eating your time to a disrespectful degree is the thorn wall. you don't really need to do it because i'm pretty sure that castle still isn't a thing yet but i remember spending like an hour burning thorns slowly just looking for a way into the drat thing at all

it's all just way too extravagant once you hit the carminite tower

(also it's pretty funny to base a whole thing on a mineral i'm pretty sure has no actual use)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

sevtech age 0 and 1 are easily the worst parts that i've seen

also i outright refuse to engage with shoggoths at all to be honest. like i'm not gonna defend all that because any pack putting in abyssalcraft as a mandatory step is outright loving up as far as i'm concerned

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think the abyssalcraft mod maker keeps doing stuff to make the shoggoths worse and worse to deal with and cutting out any creativity involved

i think they can't break their lair blocks but the moment they're unable to escape a place they just go back in the muck and despawn? there's some nonsense somewhere about it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Antillie posted:

They are lenses.

Also placing lenses around a starlight altar will allow it to collect more starlight. This makes a few more recipes possible during the day and can make up for the altar being in a lovely place at night. Although if you built your altar super high up and/or in a place with lots of starlight you may not need them.

They are mostly there to allow you to "fix" your badly placed altar without having to move the whole mutli block.

my favorite thing about astral sorcery is that i can either go on a grand quest to find the ultimate spot or just force the stars to bend to my whim in my backyard

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

runchild posted:

Can’t you just achieve that by installing a resource pack?

Doesn't actually solve the problem in a multiplayer context. I think he's talking about in-game cosmetic options so people can have their own looks when they're all building their own poo poo.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

McFrugal posted:

Oh hey there's a beta update for Sevtech out that nerfs shadow mobs and shoggoths, and increases the spawn rate of shoggoth lairs (as in, more lairs). Notably, Shoggoths can't destroy blocks or items anymore, so you can use plain cobble to wall off their lairs again. Their spit would normally destroy cobble and anything else of comparable material hardness(or did it just ignore non-vanilla blocks?)

What's the usual timeframe on a beta update going to release? It's really funny to me that SevTech pushed its first update in, what, half a year? Right after I started playing with a friend of mine (his first minecrafting ever, much less modded) and right now we're standing outside a Darklands ready to die.

Is the beta stable enough that we might as well go for that?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

I don't mind fiddling around with multiblocks, but boy howdy am I completely uninterested in the 'oh you'll get AE2 much later' problem. I'm either going to straight up cheat a pile of obsidian chests (which are hilariously expensive and lategame in here and represent a reasonable amount of storage), or just build myself a tiny AE2 system as a placeholder.

if anyone gives you poo poo for cheating in a small AE storage system i'll fight them myself

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

any time the challenge is "run for an hour across the overworld" and nothing else it's something that can be casually excised

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I don't know why I see Carpenter's Blocks around more, it's a really good halfstep for when I don't feel like chiseling

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that'll do it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

what really fucks me up about abyssalcraft is that so much work and care was put into making the mod do a whole bunch of cool poo poo

and then actually doing any of that cool poo poo is the worst possible experience

like it's so well done except for any amount of the game design, which is dog poo poo

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

graynull posted:

Just picked up Minecraft for the first time and immediately started some basic modding. I'm pretty used to extensive Skyrim modding so this hasn't been too bad. Seems like I jumped in at a strange time though. Looks like 1.14 is the newest version but a lot of things have not been updated yet, and I could only get 1.12.2 of Forge to run properly (failed library downloads despite my best efforts with 1.13). Even so, seems like 1.12.2 should work alright for an initial run. I basically just grabbed some textures and optifine with a shader preset. I did immediately grab a mod to make chopping down trees more sensible. My inner Terraria nerd could not handle the floating trees and trying to climb my way up to get rid of all the wood/leaves.

minecraft modders tend to stay on a version for a long while before picking up and moving in a mass to another one

like the big one before 1.12.2 was 1.7

i wouldn't expect modders to substantially move to a new version for a while

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm pretty sure lots of 1.12 modpacks just turn that poo poo off somehow because it sucks, i've only seen it in a few

EDIT: also who would ever play vanilla

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the latest project ozone is pretty good at guiding you through the mods though there's no story to speak of

i didn't really get pneumaticraft at all before running through the PO stuff. the only problem is you'll be in the middle of figuring something out and then a material requirement throws you to another mod

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

speaking of blightfall i forgot how much the thaumcraft essentia pipe system gives me a stroke

why is it so hard to just hook the thaumatorium up to accept five jars to cook balanced shards, like i feel like there's some crucial thing i'm overlooking

EDIT: i pulled it apart and put it back together the original way i had it that wasn't working and it just kind of worked this time. cool cool good.

DOUBLE EDIT: it made three more shards and broke again

TRIPLE EDIT: duh, valves

Q-Q-QUADRA EDIT: IT STOPPED AGAIN COME ON

Patware fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 15, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

It has been eons since I messed around with Thaumcraft, but I remember it's main automation was just using golems to transport all your essentia for everything.

I *think* the thaumatorium only hooks up on the top, and only in three places? Again, it's been a real goddamn long time.

Thaumcraft is interesting and well put together, and also frequently bad.

The hookup technically works, it will produce the shards, but it will also mysteriously jam

I've got a golem on my alembics, will another one operate the thaumatorium properly? I never tried putting one on it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Black Pants posted:

The real answer is to use Thaumic Energistics.

i just want to put lure 3 on my rod so i can make water breathing potions without wanting to die to go get the tech caches! my needs are simple and these pipes are a terror

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

McFrugal posted:

Are the pipes crossing chunk boundaries?

i'll take a look. my gut is that it shouldn't matter since i'm staring it down but it almost certainly will matter, because life is a nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

FTB:Interactions question. With the absolute safety of the Sky Dimension, the growing (and eventually block-breaking) threats in the Overworld, and the ubiquity of teleporters, would it be a smart move to make a permanent base in the sky, and just use the Overworld for mining expeditions/resource gathering? If not for the loading screen between them I think it might be an easier decision, but I might be missing something obvious.

As far as I can tell the only reason to move is load times and being tired of dealing with a sky map (the latter is the reason I started setting up in the Overworld ASAP even if it ends up harder, I just don't like being in a skyblock if I have an alternative)

to further FTB:I, is there any way to automate this drat clay kiln so i can get charcoal blocks without wanting to die