Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Two things I'd like to see more of: targeting humans' limbs causes them to fly off when they die. So if I go into vats and put all my points into shooting someones arm I want to see it fly off as much as going for headshots causes heads to explode. It happens occasionally but it seems like more often they just flop over and die. The other is when I fight robots or ghouls I can hardly ever dismember them before they die. I'd like it to be more like dying light where you can chop off a zombie's arms and watch them shamble towards you biting at the air.

If you go around with a melee weapon (shishkebab or deathclaw gauntlet) you can dismember ghouls arms and legs without killing them. I like chopping off their arms with the shishkebab and then they become ugly, bleeding, useless zombies with no form of attack whatsoever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I don't think I'm going to find a better gun than Old Faithful, my laser sniper rifle that does double damage if the target is at full health and has a range of 265. :allears:

There is the sentinels plasma caster as well. I got it from the brotherhoods vendor, its a plasma rifle with the same ability and can be turned into a sniper that does energy and physical damage.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Ding ding ding! That's exactly what I'm wearing. The most useful PA mod ever. I wonder how many other encounters got hosed because of this :(

I personally like the recon mod for the PA helmet. It gives all your weapons recon scopes and marks targets around corners. Does it do the same with your mod?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Just finished. Sided with the Railroad, and I was disappointed that there wasn't some kind of "I'm glad your father never saw you turn into this monster / You're no son of mine" dialogue option. I had to settle for telling him I was going to enjoy watching his empire crumble around him, and then blasting him in the face with a shotgun as he sat in his little sickbed. Talk about ideals and the greater good of humanity all you want, kidnapping people (for what reason, was it ever explained?) and massacring an entire town for one girl and a half-erased hard drive (University Point) makes you full of poo poo. It would also have been nice to be able to throw some of that back into his face as well.

I think the whole thing with them "kidnapping" people is that the institute was recalling runaway synths that the ignorant surface dwellers thought were humans so they think that the institute has been kidnapping people.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Nah, there are various family members and stuff that were replaced, so the Institute was definitely doing some shady stuff. Hancock's brother was replaced, for example.

So that leads into my second theory about the institute is that they sometimes "recruit" people from the surface (basically kidnap them) and replace them with synths.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

So I just started playing on survival mode and I have to say the game isn't that much harder to play from very hard, but harder to listen to!!! Dear god this constant static is irritating the crap out of me!!! Even when I have my radio off it still goes on! Is there any way to get rid of this infernal interference???

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

MY ABACUS! posted:

Does a weapon's damage scale with the level at which you acquire it?

Nope. Scales with perks and mods.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

MY ABACUS! posted:

But the type of power armor you find does scale with level, right?

Same as weapons, they scale with perks and mods.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Bethesda's problem is every game they've made has been slight iterations on Morrowind's gameplay with shittier writing.

Hayters gonna HAYEEEEETTT!!!!

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

nosl posted:

Well, he actually made a fair point. In around a month you will probably be bored of this game and move on to something else. Unless you're on PC, then you'll probably make the mistake of rationalizing that Bethesda made Fallout 4 with all the mods that have yet to be released in mind. It worked long-term in 2002, it doesn't work long-term in 2015.

You don't know me dude, and he doesn't make a good point, he just made a HUGE over-generalization basically saying something like: fallout games are basically just fallout games with the same fallout stuff in them, with "shittier" writing.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Yes. Quality of power armor is linked to your level - it's almost impossible to find some T61 armor at low level, but after level 28 it's not hard.

He is asking if the quality of armor SCALES with your level, which it doesn't, there is no scaling based on level except HP in this game. At higher levels, yes you FIND better quality armor but the armor that you found at lower levels doesn't magically become better later in the game based on your current level.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

The variety of melee weapons is even more constricting than the guns in this game. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the weapons beyond the skin, they hit in one of 3 speeds and the impact is basically the same regardless of weapon type. There aren't that many weapon types, either. With guns at least there are good reasons to carry a bunch of different types, but for melee you just always use the best weapon you've found unless you gimp yourself for variety. There isn't even the option for a trade-off like armor piercing in exchange for lower damage. My melee run is disappointing, the only thing that's really fun is drugging up and destroying super-tough enemies with my 12x sneak attack modifier and psycho-derivatives.

Some legendary melee weapons have good perks like cavaliers or fierce, also the heated super sledge seems to me to be pretty good in terms of raw damage. Also shiskebab is fun.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

One thing I still haven't quite understood when it comes to crafting - if I remove mods from one weapon and put them in another, do I have to remove them from the second weapon before putting them into a third? I'm trying to figure out if using 12 perks on the crafting stuff is worthwhile. :v:

Once you have switched the mods from one weapon I would just store all your mods in your workshop. Then you can add them on later or swap them with another gun. Also yes. Very much yes those perms are worth it.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Eustachy posted:

With a CHA of 1 you are essentially a loving super mutant or feral dog, the fact that you can hurt people is not enough to make people do what you want, when you have no ability to convince them that you wouldn't even if they did. Trying a persuasion check with no CHA should make them pull out their pipe pistols and start shooting you

With 4 charisma what I do is this: whenever I see a dialogue option pop up I just walk away from the dialogue and pop a berry mentat and chug a beer and almost always pass the speech check. I only really use it on dialogues I really want to succeed on but its still really effective.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Deathclaws seem oddly easy in this game. They are pretty much the only big deal melee enemy and it feels like there is just so much ability to pump so much damage into one before it even gets near that I never have any real feeling of fear from them even though they are graphically the most scary and impressive enemy.

High level rad scorpions and glowing blood bugs are very tough melee enemies as well due to their lingering poison attacks that can stack with their normal attacks.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

If you pick the wife, they should throw in some cheesy lawyer one liners as you kill guys in VATS.

"Case...DISMISSED!" etc

Agreed. Also screaming OBJECTION! Or CASE CLOSED MOTHAFUCKA!!

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Iceshade posted:

I found a rocket launcher with +50% damage to humans. I tested it out on some gunners. All the limbs :gibs:

I made the fabled double shot mirv fat man. Took it to diamond city market and watched the bodies go flying. I think I win at fallout.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Akion posted:

Does the sneak attack bonus apply only to the target you aimed at? If I sneak attack with say... a fat man, is it doing 4x damage to everyone in the blast radius?

They'll notice you before the missile or grenade or mini nukes hits.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Irom posted:

It cranks for all 497 cells, 19,880 damage.

But only once lol

That must take a couple solid minutes to wind up all the way haha! Also I wish I got drops like that lol! Come on survival mode! Give me an unlimited double barreled shotgun at least!

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

So, is the Deliverer the only 10mm in the game with that model? I'm surprised I don't hear people talking about that thing more. It was easily my favorite gun in the game. Even at the end of the game on very hard I still thought it was really serviceable and used it a lot. When you first get it and upgrade it though it's absolutely nuts. I'm wondering if a lot of people saw how little it is/ average base damage and tossed it aside. It's flat out one of the best guns in the game, being the only semi auto I ran into that fires as fast as you can pull the trigger, and the AP cost os so low you can get like 25 shots off in VATS, despite it having solid damage per shot. It's just so satisfying popping off super quick shots out of my little James bond gun.

I sold mine lol.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Beasteh posted:

Ya done goofed.

Meh...

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Had my first real invasion today and it turned out to be pretty disappointing. I was fixing my power armor when all of a sudden I heard strong scream, "human look out for brothers, they fight good too!" And realized a super mutant invasion was going on and got really excited. I quickly stopped what I was doing and ran over to the bridge and a single super mutant corpse lay on the ground next to Cait and my two machine gun turrets. It didn't even get past the first of my several barricades. Really game? I'm level 57 and you just now throw an invasion my way and I didn't even need to lift a finger to repel it lol.

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 7, 2015

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

homullus posted:

I felt this way too, but still think Travis and that quest are one of the highlights of the game for me (so far). I didn't know whether he was flagged as essential when I did his quest so I was really worried he would die! I really like what the voice actor did with poor scared Travis. :)

When I did that quest the last part of the mission I had to rescue vadim from literally himself. For I had killed all the raiders in the place where he had (somehow) tied himself up. Also more hilarity insued after I rescue him and Travis miraculously becomes as smooth as a baby seal melting in butter on the air. Maybe he finally found out that he could manipulate the people around him to do what he wanted based on being strictly awkward.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

the_steve posted:

Not gonna lie, this game has been doing a good job of keeping me on edge when I'm playing it.
After walking through Skyrim like the invincible demigod that I was, and then getting ripped apart by packs of ghouls who show up out of nowhere in the Commonwealth and actually having to pay attention to my surroundings was a bit of a wakeup call.

My MVP has, without a doubt, been a serrated switchblade. That thing has wrecked so much poo poo for me. I recently replaced it with a serrated combat knife, so hopefully it carries on the fine tradition of destruction.

The settlement editor has been a pain in the rear end though. I'm on the PS4, all I wanted was to fence in my vegetable garden, all of a sudden i've got chunks of fence hanging 4 feet in the air and refusing to snap onto other pieces and generally being uncooperative. If I can't even pen in my tatos, I don't know how the gently caress I'm going to set up an electrical grid and build houses.
My mvp is my explosive shotgun. Every pellet explodes on impact. Downed a mirelurk queen in a couple shots with it!

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Lotish posted:

That's fine, but you need Gun Nut 3 and 4 to actually mod it, so those mods should bring it up to that level at least, and they really don't.

Perk points in the big gunner perk can increase the damage a lot. And that is in the high end strength tree.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, do you have high levels of scrounger or something? I've been obsessively looting every place/body I find, and I'm still broke as a joke- 30 hours in I have 300 308 rounds, 70 shotgun shells, and 917 5.56 rounds

Sell your ammo. You get lots of caps for them. I used to sell off about half my ammo stashes and all of the ammo I don't use.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know for sure, but I would assume chems that increase int would decrease int while in withdrawal. At least, my addiction to buffout lowers my str when I don't use it.

Usually when you get addicted to chems, which you should try to get rid of right away, you lose reverse stats and buffs. So buffout addiction usually reduces your damage output and psycho your max health.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Squirrel Burger posted:

Is there any word on mods for PS4 because I will throw money at the first person who lets me finally turn off the goddamn compass markers so I can actually EXPLORE the world they took so long to build

Why dont you just explore every place you come across? Every new place is bound to have some loot.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

This is me terrorizing poor old Diamond City with my double MIRV fat man. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9t-Yrf-d0

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Also this: double kill with one sniper headshot critical, and a bunch more glorious kills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGfeOx4ohRo

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

And plasma weapons apply effects twice (once from the ballistic damage, once from the energy damage).
And area-of-effect damage is applied twice on a direct hit.
-> explosive plasma-shotgun.

Oh my god yes. The only thing better than my explosive shotgun+rank 3 pain train combo! Seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi51W5mfhr4

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

"Make a move and I'll end you wastelander." He says to me in his whitey-tighties.

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 22, 2015

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

MarshyMcFly posted:

"Make a move and I'll end you wastelander." He says to me in his whitey-tighties.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4159993918276&set=a.3916593873427.1073741830.1236871760&type=3&theater

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

You can permakill your settlers, enemies can't. Watch that friendly fire!

Oh then maybe I should stop using my explosive shotgun, smg and assault rifle when I get invaded.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Am I crazy? Or just lucky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luOip62gvlo

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 24, 2015

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

popewiles posted:

My guess is that you put more thought and effort in preparing for that quest than the developers did in creating it.

Very probable. Happened to me too lol.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

Okay new playthrough.

Sneaky cloaky snipey.

Very easy difficulty.
Level 1 endurance and no more
Maximum intellect
no armour/power armour, just a labcoat and glasses.
.44 pistol for tough enemies
silenced Deliverer for everything else
silenced .50 sniper rifle when possible
Grenades/missile launcher for really hard stuff

The idea is to have small arms be viable through the whole game while still balancing the difficulty by minimal endurance and personal damage mitigation.

As in a playthrough where super mutants won't need 10 sniper shots to the head to die or where high level raiders can catch missiles with their teeth.

I've tried this build with one of my characters and even beat the game as an Agility/Luck build (I strongly recommend luck) but I'm just not that impressed, even with my .50 cal instigating sniper rifle one shot anything in the game gun and stealth field power armor. It might be the stealth power armor though because it only works when your crouched for a second. It's taken off when you start to move a single inch. The thing is wicked sensitive.

The other thing that I felt really dismayed about is the fact that stealth builds just slow down the game so god darned much that it became almost unplayable to me. It might be that I built my character wrong though because I didn't max out the sneak perk which I think I might have needed to do in order to make it more versatile.

Anyone got suggestions to strengthen my stealth character?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Chamale posted:

If MacCready idolizes you, his perk gives you +95% accuracy on headshots in VATS.

There are perks to get more critical hits, and with Kellogg's Pistol you can use VATS forever. Especially if you go buy all the legendary equipment that gives you a reduction in VATS cost.

Yea I got most of the vats heavy guns its just the stealth aspect that I'm lacking in. I got kellogs pistol. An instigating sniper. Righteous authority for building up crits, a lucky shotgun for using up those crits. The deliverer, a silenced combat rifle and the railgun. What more do I need? Lol.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

double nine posted:

Is there a way to make settlers wear power armor? I want to set up a supply line between spectacle island and other settlements but the radiation is lethal to settlers and a suitable power armor would help. I just can't order one of them into the armor.

Is there a way to do this?

You simply have to command them to enter a power armor frame like you would a follower in the workshop menu. Then you can set them up with a sweet getup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Slowly building up like 15 Industrial Purifiers and watching my income go up has been the most fun I've had with this game actually. I haven't spent any of this money because I want to see how much I can actually accumulate, but I'm thinking it will be a hollow feeling when I get to six figures and realize there's gently caress all to spend this money on. If they released a settlement DLC for like $10 that tripled the decorations and furniture and added some high end stuff I'd probably buy it.

Ah yes I can see that DLC now.... The wastelander's special home edition DLC, equipped with all your favorite pre-war lifestyle choices such as ferraris, lambos, and mercedes, as well as a tennis courts, baseball diamonds, and football stadiums with Mr. Handys as players that take up more space than your settlement can manage without scrapping every single bit of junk in it. The player can also make gold statues of themselves with any sort of position they choose and can now yell at settlers to get back to work and tell them that they are useless.

• Locked thread