Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I ran into a red vehicle during a mission (Extreme version of Traitors' Caravan, idk if that's a real spoiler), what is the deal that? Are they different or is it just something weird.

Also, if you raid someone who has a nuke, how do you like... get that nuke or disarm it or whatever? I think there was a prompt for a prompt for a tutorial about this but it never actually did the tutorial. And I raided someone who had a nuke, got into the core of their command platform with no alerts, got mission results stats, then my game CTD'd, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm building a nuke to see how long my security can hold off the slavering hordes before someone takes it.

Probably not long as I've found it's pretty easy to get to the nukes and take them even on like max-everything Level 7 bullshit Long Range 4-strut command

I asked this before but where are nukes they have how do you take them? Sorry, haven't been able to figure it out when I raid a fob with nukes.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

On the topic of Kaz rearing children, I had a crazy theory recently: if you listen to the Peace Walker codecs, people say that Kaz flirts with every woman in MSF except for the students, and he himself claims that's because he would never sleep with a child. However, if you listen to Paz's tapes she repeatedly mentions him trying to sleep with her; does that imply that he knew she was a double agent?

He knew that Galvez/Zadornov and Paz's mission came through Cipher, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I'm mostly curious about how Ocelot and Miller first met because as far as we know, as of Ground Zeroes, they'd never interacted.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

It does happen, actually. If play REALLY aggressively and constantly clear out camps under alert, they will eventually start sending in choppers as backup instead of the usual patrol squad.

Yeah, I was doing some Sideop in Sakhra Ee and I messed up and it got sorta messy and they called in a chopper on me

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Has anyone had any trouble with their Security Team's roster not taking in new guys? Like my Combat Team is all A++ at least, and I'll extract new A+ guys and they'll end up in my waiting room instead of ever going to my Security Team.

And besides that, is there a way to get a better Russian Interpreter, Kikongo Interpreter, etc. These guys are all D and C and stuff, dragging down my support team... I've heard that you can just do some older missions over to get updated staff but those interpreters were sideops, I think.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Wasn't there intended to be another two areas to the game or is that bullshit. It would make sense why a lot of missions in chapter 2 are just ones from chapter 1 but harder.

There's datamined stuff for another Eli mission, for using Battle Gear as a deployable vehicle, and a lot of stuff seems a bit abbreviated.

Metal Gear games are replete with Kojima's unrealized ambitions but this is more than usual imo. I wish Snake had more lines. There's a few scenes where people talk directly to Snake for paragraphs and it is really weird to not even have a grunt or "what?" here or there. the jeep ride especially has Snake not even look at or respond to Skullface even once makes it feel kinda flat

Also, can anyone confirm that you can dismiss the interpreters and still comprehend radio chatter and such?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah, it is actually really cool to ride around on your horse alongside an armored vehicle, reminds me of Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade. Especially when you do the mission the first time and don't have the fulton to extract the vehicles or the guided missiles. You have to plant C4 charges or ride-bys on D-Horse with the Grom, or hide along ridges. Then hop on your horse and book it to the next target.

It actually has a lot of energy and was one of my favorite missions, and I say that as someone who prefers to normally play the game Total Stealth/no kills and typically deploys with rank 2 tranq pistol and little else.

I wish there were more spots to use C4 in general, it is incredibly satisfying and makes you feel really cool. On the Honeybee mission my first time, I planted some C4 on radio equipment, took out two guys clustered around the jeep with my tranq pistol, then blew the C4 in the distance, making everyone turn around and look that way, then took out the next three guys, and it felt really cool and cinematic, I was proud.

Then I rescued Silent Basilisk, who has a unique portrait and cannot be dismissed ever. Does anyone know why that is? I assumed that in an earlier draft of the game, the Hamid prisoner was meant to be a plot point or something (maybe an infection vector or something?) but who knows.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 8, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

Someone in the spoiler thread joked that the game should have had a segment like the Sorrow in MGS3, except that you face all the goats you've fultoned instead of the dudes you've killed.

That probably would've taken most of us several real-time hours to get through.

The Animal Conservation platform could have an interior part where you have to wade through all the creatures to get an emblem or something, hire me Kojima

Whatever, those goats are too dangerous to let them roam free. I was doing some tank unit sideop in Africa, and I went to approach the tank while the helicopter was overhead, but there was a sniper overlooking that tank. So I moved to flank the sniper, but there was a sniper watching him, so I moved to flank THAT sniper, and I thought it would be fun to Bionc Arm the guy in the face, so I run up, he yelps 'contact', and... a goat jumps out of the brush and headbutts me, knocking me over. Combat alert, disaster.

e: and how do capture cages work, I haven't actually used one yet, do you just leave it there, or do you have to come back for it later, or what?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

My helicopter music is Award Tour, I dunno, it is super chill and has a real clear opening that sounds good over the helicopter speakers.

I've been working on S Rank + All Objectives all the special ops, did Metallic Archaea, Sahelanthropus, Code Talker, Occupation Forces, C2W etc. Still need to do Backup, and War Economy. War Economy is easy as sin to S Rank in no time, but S Ranking it while doing all the objectives is going to be a long puzzle to unravel I think.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah, I've been trying to do All Tasks + S Rank runs for most missions, which is fine most of the time (except for a few missions which have mutually exclusive objectives), but Backup, Back Down is being hard.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Jesus Christ. Maybe he forgot he had written that past for the first character and was just like "wow this is a brilliant new idea I just had!".

In Kojima's defense, Afghanistan isn't the Middle East, and Sniper Wolf's backstory is tied to a pretty specific event that doesn't take place for another few years.

He could have ret-conned it, and I would've loved to see young Sniper Wolf, but at the same time, I'm kind of glad he didn't because MGS1 got me to start reading about Kurdish genocide when I was ten, and that was cool. The Metal Gear series was actually really cool about introducing me to concepts I'd never heard of and then getting me to read about them like that.

Kojima is just a glutton for all kinds of media and earlier Metal Gears are full of random digressions by characters into some niche topic that is probably only their because Kojima just read a book or saw a movie about it. Like when Cecile in Peacewalker, who is a totally non-plot important character, starts into a long bit about the May 1968 Student Movement stuff in France.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

So I've been playing this game for awhile now, and I'm at like 90% completion, and it occurs to me... what does Heroism actually do?

Dr. Stab posted:

Uh, did this update remove the history tab on the combat deployments page?

Yep

edit: Also, is there something I'm missing to combat deployments? My guys are mostly S+, some S, and I'm still failing this Eliminate The Dictator one, I've tried it 5 times, with 60%-65% success chance, and failed every time.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 10, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I'm about to hit 500k heroism, wonder how much I need to get S+ or S++

edit: Also, is there anything to do with the Battle Gear hangar besides like the one time I went there and saw a short cut scene of some parts being put together? It still has a yellow dot on it, and it bugs me.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 10, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

How do MGS5 mods work? I see there's a MGS5 nexus and everything, but how does all that interact with the online connectivity and such?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I mostly want to figure out how to replace the asthma thing from lady soldiers. It is really really awful.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Who kills Quiet anyway, are you people those fucks who sold Legion to Cerberus

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I lost one of my favorite Combat Unit soldiers yesterday. :( I was invading an Intel FOB, cleared out all the security, and was heading up to the core, when I fell off one of the catwalks and died.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Gray Fox still hadn't entered the scene

He was technically revealed in Portable Ops and stuff but ugh, it was really awful. The 'the boy had no name, but he was honest, so we called him Frank, and he hunted people down and killed them, so we called him Jaeger, because he spoke German.' is one of the most egregious background things, even in a series like Metal Gear where people's backgrounds are filled with egregiously goofy stuff.

edit:

EmmyOk posted:

Moola and Droids did you think the original Big Boss was still alive before the reveal?
I'm not those but the way you pass out in the Ambulance then wake up with Ishmael gone, and Ocelot parses his words saying he had 'two objectives. The first is to retrieve The Man Himself. And the second was to get you to safety.' was very particular, and turned me on to it right away.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 12, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah, the way I've seen it done is that it is technically canon, but they never want to mention it or refer to it ever again. It was basically developed without Kojima simultaneously with MGS4. Even in Peacewalker's opening, Miller is like 'bet it feels good to put San Hieronymo behind us.'

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Okay, I'm going back to get side objectives I've missed and I've been putting off doing Awakenings because the cut scenes and flopping around on the floor part are so time consuming, but how do I get the 'keep the Man on Fire from attacking even once after meeting up with Ocelot' one? Do I only need to shoot him at specific times, or what? I don't seem to be taking damage, but he's still 'attacking'.

I wouldn't ask for help with this except it takes so long to make multiple attempts.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Archyduke posted:

1.) If I get Quiet back, what happens if I replay Mission 45? Nothing?
Nothing happens, I just did it again to get some side objectives

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

If you look carefully, you'll notice that XOF is just shooting bodies at random and they skip quite a few of them. So I don't think the scene is as stupid as the other poster made it out to be.

I don't know why people are hating so hard on this scene. Movies do it all the time, where a protagonist is hiding somewhere, and an antagonist/monster/bad guy/whatever is going door to door, locker to locker, or checking each spot, and discovery seems all but inevitable. Then, someone calls out the person and they get distracted and stop searching, or something blows up, or they give up at the last minute.

So these guys are coming at the search from one direction, then the other guys are coming at it from the other direction, then the Man on Fire shows up. Building Tension of Inevitable Discovery -> Interruption.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

So, has anyone else had issues getting the Conversations side objective on Traitors' Caravan? I've read some stuff about how you have to be close enough to hear without the int scope, so I've been doing that, but I still can't get the side objective to trigger.

On the other hand, I now have like 94 armor parasites.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

There's plenty of spots for all of them, with or without camo. I wasn't having the objective trigger, for whatever reason. I finally went inside the airport and climbed up on to the second story of a building nearby and was about 35m away from the truck laying there, listening, and it completed that time.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

many johnnys posted:

He's guaranteed to dodge your bullets, for X number of hits. After enough of them, you'll tag him and win. Someone said it's 20? Just keep shooting, you'll almost certainly require multiple stuns to do it. Keep at it, each time he dodges brings you closer to the hit.

I saw a thing where someone's support level was high enough, he could deploy a box on top of the dude and bonk the boy with it before he disappears. Support has to be pretty high for that to work though.

I did it with a box and I didn't have a very high Support team at the time (couldn't have been more than 30 or so?) I think the box must home in on him or something because it only took me two tries. I can't remember clearly, but it might've been that I ordered the box before I even stunned the Man On Fire with the Water Tower. Then blew the C4 on the tower struts when he was walking towards me.

I never even tried the 'shoot at him 20 times' thing, but could be that works too?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

So I just had my first encounter with another player, he came to defend his base and I blasted him with my (silenced lol) non-lethal shotgun, and I fultoned him twice then reached the core.

What do I get for that, just espionage points?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Knocking him out was probably your neutralization. Like how if you CQC someone KO'd and then shoot them in the head you don't get a headshot.

Probably 101 was too close to 100, because I've sniped him from 105ish and others and gotten it fine.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Dareon posted:

Giving us a great and cool boss fight that leads to a neat party member: Good. Taking that party member away: Ambivalent. Giving us a means to get them back: Good.

hey what the heck :(

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I finally beat Extreme Traitor's Caravan. I had the genius idea to bring D Walker, set him to intercept, and fight alongside him while I steal a tank.

Not just for you, but for everyone, I can't stress this enough: use Armor Parasites, use them, they're soooo good, they trivialize any mission where you are concerned about taking damage, and they don't prevent S Rank. Only Camo Parasites prevent S Rank.

I did all the side objectives on Mission 45: Quiet Exit with a handful of Armor Parasites and an Uragan Air Soft pistol (that thing his hilarious by the way, popping people with a handgun and watching them fly back unconscious is great), and I was just taking tank shells to the face even from the elite or upgraded tanks and armored vehicles.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Unfortunately I have never farmed a parasite in my life and am scared off by the fact that I have to farm missions over and over to reuse them. I'll keep this in mind for the later bullshit though

Do you just do Metallic Archaea a bunch

I did Metallic Archaea once I got the ability to extract skulls, did Extreme Metallic Archaea (using a Tank + Quiet), you get 16 parasites from each mission (4 for each Skull, 4 skulls extracted extracted), pretty sure you only need like 12 to research max rank Armor. I then also got a TON of armor parasites (and a ton of S Rank guys) by trying to get the conversation side objective in regular Traitors Caravan) and it wasn't triggering for me (I finally got it by just going inside the airport instead of listening to the first conversation from a hill outside the airport).

I understand your hesitance, I'm a hoarder too and have a hard time using anything that 'expends' charges or resources, but by the time I S Ranked + All Objectives both Traitors Caravan versions, and Extreme Metallic Archaea etc. I have like 110 Armor Parasites.

Mist Parasites are pretty nifty too, it's like an instant Sandstorm but you can still get S Rank (which you can't do if you use Support Team to create a sandstorm). A bit of a crutch compared to just 'Sneak Better' but can be handy for taking down huge groups of people without triggering combat alerts. Downside is it is annoying to get more Mist Parasites, since I'm pretty sure you can only get them in the Honeybee Mission and the one where you rescue Miller, which take a bit of time.

I haven't even researched the Camo Parasites, because I heard it is just flat out way worse than Stealth Camo.

Overall, I've had way more fun with the Parasite suit than I thought I would, I thought they'd be boring or dumb, but it's actually cool.

Only thing I wish was that you could get the Machete for yourself, instead of having to strap it on to D-Walker

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 16, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I've had the lady soldiers arguing about being Team Miller or Team Ocelot. Wish it was easier to find female soldiers at the end of the game, almost all of mine have been pushed out by rando S rank guys except for Flaming Buffalo

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Such a lust for revenge...

For real though, there is something delightfully meta about a narrative that talks about revenge, proliferation of PMCs, military escalation, and then the game guides you to build up your PMC, retaliate, then research and develop more arms to safeguard your spoils. But you need to take more contracts/play more to secure profits to fund your new arms that will better safeguard your spoils, etc.

I'd like to say they intentionally draw you into the WAR ECONOMY the game talks about but that might be too much credit

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

many johnnys posted:

Do you still get to bring the arm you have equipped? AKA stun arm AKA the god hand

What do subsistence missions start you with anyway? I know no guns or buddies, but empty mags? Stun arm? Camo of choice? I know fultons are in at least.

Olive Drab, no empty magazines, default arm. You get your arm bonuses, fultons, and helicopter keeps it's loadout, but you can't call in fire support or anything.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

That's way funnier than what I did, haha

I just used Mist Parasite Suit and sprinted through the base, perfect stealth~

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Ugh, all I have left is animal capturing... This is gonna be tuff

e: I wish I could use the Raiden Run Fast Mode without having to look at Raiden's doofy self

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 19, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Raxivace posted:

I wonder how TPP would feel compared to GZ if you used no buddies and didn't upgrade anything, relying solely on OSP more or less.

I gotta try that at some point.

I have OCD about deployment costs, so I played most of the game with Rank 2 Tranq pistol, the basic 180 gmp starting Assault Rifle, a box, empty magazines and Rank 1 C4 I thought it was pretty fun. I also play non-lethal just about 100%.

It's pretty simple if you just want to clear a mission.

I think the best challenge is trying to do all Objectives + S Rank with those sort of minimal load outs, I have a lot of fun and I feel really slick and clever when I dive through a crowded area and knock out a bunch of objectives unseen.

My probably proudest thing I did was I cleared the Subsistence Occupation Forces mission with S Rank, All Objectives, in just 8 minutes.

I know it probably isn't a big deal to you guys, but I felt really cool when I did it. :shobon: I could've done it a lot faster if I called in the extraction chopper faster/used a faster Pequod, but I keep that at rank 1 too.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can deploy with the 70 gmp Assault Rifle. I used it to take down the riot armor units. Take down meaning they recoil from the bullets and I CQC them. The materials cost more than the loadout and you are still a Hollywood actor.

I like the silencer on the 180 GMP more (SVG looks weird with a silencer), and I just sneak the Heavy Infantry guys and CQC them. The silenced assault rifle is so that you can ping an armored vehicle in transit, and often times they'll hit the brakes and start looking around for the source of the shot and you can fulton them. Way cheaper than using EMN mines.

It wasn't until I started playing more fast and loose with the game that I realized I'm just really bad at actual firefights. I watched one of my friends play and he was so much better at straight up using cover and exchanging gunfire, whereas I mostly just flail around and hide.

e: that said, I've never failed to fulton a defender in a FOB. Silenced Riot Shotguns are so good vs. players.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 19, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Moola posted:

sadly not much :(

I really hoped the launchers would be able to knock people out too

I've had a lot of fun with Stun Grenades + Fulton DD. You can stun grenade groups of people from super far away and send DD in to fulton them, and their allies will rush up and be all 'Whaaa' but totally ignore the dog strapping their pals to balloons.

I was pretty amazed how powerful the Fakel stun grenades are, even if the Stun doesn't last that long. How is the Sleeping Grenade Fakel?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

swamp waste posted:

Everyones pretty bad. I just replayed the original Meal Gear Solid and Solid Snake acts like a total dick most of the time, and the script makes a big deal of him being unnatural and kind of evil. Some of that is just a young writer with a dorky idea of what's Bad rear end but it was cool overall and way different than I remembered.

I'd recommend doing that by the way. MGS is such an atmospheric game and playing it right after Phantom Pain shows that a lot of themes and images dovetail really nicely.

Yeah, graphics and controls aside, MGS holds up so well. Sniper Wolf's death scene still one of my favorite in the series (up until An Emmerich shows up and ruins it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Dewgy posted:

MGS I think also gains the most from having played the MSX ones, though I love how even Phantom Pain has callbacks to it. You always have crazy bosses, you always fight helicopters, and while "rescuing hostages" got sidelined into plot territory for most of the series it's part of the gameplay again in Peace Walker and TPP.

I was nearing the end of TPP and got worried because Snake hadn't been captured and tortured yet.

Then I realized it is because Snake has been captured... by revenge and/or the war economy... and the torture is the body he's lost... the comrades he's lost... they won't stop hurting...

• Locked thread