Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I figured I'd try to go back to Whole Foods. I'm sick of pizza, sick of racist managers, sick of everything about where I work.

Went in the other day, bumped into one of my old coworkers, who is now the department manager for frontend (which is where I'd like to work - I'm a drat good cashier, drawer always balanced to the penny, knew PLUs like the back of my hand, etc). He always told me he'd hire me back in a second if he got promoted. Welp, he's been promoted!

.... he told me they'd just announced 1200 layoffs. A decent number of them were in my old store too. gently caress. He told me to stay in touch with him, and he'll have no problem hiring me back once the hiring freeze is lifted. He mentioned he'd never seen the career website with zero jobs listed - sure enough, I checked, and not a single job opening anywhere in the US at that moment.

Oh yeah. Made a whole $12 in tips AND mileage today at work. I got tipped on only 2 orders. The rest was all stiffs... coupled with a slow day. :sigh: I basically made enough to buy dinner.

Tusen Takk posted:

My brother found out that i run 6 minute miles and wants me to run a night time 5k at the end of october

but i'm sooooo lazyyyyyyy :(

I'm running this one at the end of October. Also at night. I REALLY want to take my DSLR, but I know that's a terrible idea. So phone and selfie stick it is.

I need to get my rear end in shape ASAP.

The Locator posted:

Still overly warm this coming Saturday, with a high of 95, but the forecast is for breezy, yay!

79 is our high on Saturday.

And you better believe I'm gonna spend all day outside enjoying it. Probably hit up some of the nature preserves and get a little walking in, I've barely explored a tiny portion of Oak Point.

Root Bear posted:

I can still remember the whole :siren::derp:Y2K IS UPON US:derp::siren: nonsense and not being surprised in the least when nothing disastrous happened. Instead, life went on to prepare for the coming 2012 apocalypse and other life-ending calamities that didn't happen at all haven't happened yet. :tinfoil:

You know where I was when Y2k hit?

A motherfucking rave 650 miles from home, hosed up out of my mind on some pretty good drugs, with some friends I grew up with. I called my mom at 12:01 and said "Told you so" and hung up (she was hunkered down in a closet with food, water, flashlights, etc).

No regrets on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit. Been hanging out with an old friend. He happens to smoke like a chimney, as does his new gf.

His new GF is loving awesome. They've known each other since middle school. His last GF, and his ex-wife, both treated him like poo poo. I'm really glad he found his current GF, she's fun as hell to hang out with.

Downside. They both smoke nonstop. I bought my first pack of cigarettes in over 10 years on my way home... holy gently caress they got expensive, but holy gently caress I forgot what a nicotine buzz was, I felt half drunk after smoking a cig.

e: we need more dogs in this thread. Above friends have a pit bull that just gave birth (yes, she is getting spayed once they're weaned). Their dog will not leave me alone when I'm over, she tries to lick me to death and insists on sitting on my feet or climbing in my lap. And apparently I'm the only person she will allow to handle the puppies without at least a *chuff*.

jammyozzy posted:

I used to live <10 minutes walk from the IKEA in Coventry. Once a friend and I went hungover after a night out and just spent hours zoning out, sitting and laying on everything and playing with the lamps and stuff. I'm impressed we weren't asked to leave.

Former IKEA employee here (... okay, I only worked there about 2 months, and only as a cashier, but went through the same training as the floor employees, with an extra day of how to recognize counterfeit money - except I wound up teaching them more than they taught me, since I'd been handling cash for over a decade by then). They generally won't ask you to leave unless you're bothering other customers/employees (in fact they like people hanging out, it makes the place look busier, and you might wind up spending more money), but you can be sure they're very aware of your presence if you spend more than a few minutes in one section. Generally security is more concerned with frontend (registers) than anything else, since that's where most loss occurs (either intentional or forgetting to scan items); they look at the other cameras when they get bored. And yes, there are cameras in the little fake apartment nooks. :quagmire:

But there are hundreds, if not thousands, of cameras in each store. Security is very aware of people hanging out, but they really don't give a poo poo until you cause a disturbance, or you appear intoxicated (or you decide to gently caress in one of the fake apartments). I've hung out in there for hours, both before and after working there, and the most that's happened is I've been approached and asked if I needed any assistance.

I'm borderline aspergers about lighting stuff, so I usually wind up spending hours loving with all of the bulbs and fixtures. I'm kinda pissed they changed suppliers for their LED floods, I was down to ONE indoor flood that needed to be replaced to match the rest in that room. And they won't fit in the outside floods (plus they're high enough up that I almost need scaffolding to reach the drat things). :argh:

bolind posted:

It's basically your standard slave labor manufactured poo poo only with nice aesthetics. Their quality stuff ain't cheap and their cheap stuff ain't quality. But if you're a bit smart about it, they have some pretty good deals. Also, they will nickle and dime you to death on accessories.

I dropped $150 on a desk chair from them over 10 years ago. Still using it today. I removed the arm rests after they wore out, and the leather (?) bottom is finally starting to disintegrate (one tear, and whatever material it is is flaking off), but it's still damned comfy.

bolind posted:

Their LACK series is thin, thin fiberboard and a thin cardboard honeycomb construction. I made a little platform/stool out of one, and took it apart in the process. It's a rather ingenious construction: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2013/07/reinforced-red-lack-platformstooltable.html

LACK is their cheapest line IIRC. And when I worked there, drat near every customer coming through my line had at least one LACK item. And yeah, they're essentially made just like a (US) interior home door.

I have a couple of Lack end tables. For the price, they're not bad, and they occasionally run clearances on the less popular colors (nothing a can of krylon can't fix).

Bajaha posted:

Oh for fucks sake. I just saw carthrottle calling the vw diesel scandal dieselgate

Everything has to be something-gate nowadays. gently caress.

Because <x>gate is such a new term.

(also I think even jalopnik was using that term a few days ago)

1500quidporsche posted:

I loving love IKEA just because you can get a lot of stuff that is minimalist with relatively inoffensive styling that is impossible to find anywhere else. The price is just icing on the cake at that point.

Same. I like the styling of most of their stuff, and as long as you avoid the super cheap stuff, it's actually not bad furniture.

Also, at least in the US, their appliances are actually made by Whirlpool.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Congrats on the heated garage, they rule. I bought a house a year ago and have loved it, I just need to insulate and heat the garage next :getin:

Even in the dead of winter, a decent space heater is all I really need for the garage.

Summer though? gently caress THAT poo poo. Gimme a 20,000 BTU split a/c unit. The 5.5 ton unit for the rest of the house is on the outside garage wall already, it won't look that odd tossing a 1.5 to 2 ton next to it. There's absolutely zero insulation in our garage, so the cute little 5k BTU portable I have just falls over and cries.

Rhyno posted:

He's dead.

:glomp:

Sorry to hear man. Losing family sucks.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 3, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

And if you think homeoners are bad about this, you should see what some business run. Being in the commercial side of HVAC you see some poo poo. :stare:

We don't run air filters at work.

... in a restaurant... with fryers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

Does our favorite damaged goods saab expert still post here? Haven't seen him in some time, although I haven't exactly been looking.

I know how to get in touch with him, if someone really needs him summoned.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got home from work.

Opened my bedroom door.

Grey blur shoots out of the room making pissy cat-like noises, and heads for the litter box.

I loving swear he was out of my room when I left. And I know drat well the door wasn't closed all the way (guessing the a/c coming on pushed it the rest of the way closed). And even after that, he's still curled up under my desk.... rimming himself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

McTinkerson posted:

AI, I need your collective wisdom. I hosed up and didn't read the purchase contract on my house as closely as I should have and missed that it didn't come with a washing machine and dryer. So I need new ones. What say ye? Whirlpool, GE, LG? Samsung? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Personally, I really prefer large appliances to be basic and easy to work on. So that eliminates Samsung and LG immediately, simply because of parts availability/cost and complexity. It also eliminates front loaders for the most part.

I'd lean toward Whirlpool, personally - I'd like to think they may have used some of Maytag's technology after buying them (we have a 18 year old set Maytag washer/dryer here that's only needed a timer and a blower wheel), but I'm fairly sure they just bought them for the name.

I've also had really solid GE stuff, but I have no idea how their quality is since Electrolux bought their consumer appliances division.

If you're buying used, look for Maytag's Dependable Care series (production ended in the late 90s IIRC though, several years after Whirlpool bought them). They're massively overbuilt, and run for decades with little more than an occasional timer or switch replacement. Their basic design goes all the way back to the 1950s. The downside to them is the washer transmission in the Maytags is really complex compared to a Whirlpool.

I love LG and Samsung when it comes to TVs, phones, and optical drives (both computer and video, like DVD players). Not a fan of anything else they make, they make their appliances way too complicated. You shouldn't need a loving $500 circuit board inside your fridge FFS; all you need is a compressor, fans, relays, capacitors, thermostat, and defrost timer. It may be cheaper to do it with a circuit board in terms of manufacturing, but when it breaks (and it'll break more often), you're often trying to figure out if it's worth fixing or not.. and waiting on parts. On a basic fridge (even our fairly high end Whirlpool), the only thing that will kill it is a bad compressor or an irreparable leak in the refrigerant loop.

</rant>

iwentdoodie posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Bosch branded appliance

In North America, they're sold as a :airquote: premium high end brand. :airquote: In Europe, I think they're seen as a pretty normal brand? Maybe?

I will say our Bosch dishwasher is incredibly quiet (quiet enough that you can't hear it running at all, unless it's draining, even if you're standing in front of it). But it's almost caught on fire once (recall - smoked up the kitchen, melted the front panel - thankfully city code requires a countertop power switch for the dishwasher), started smoking once after the repair (... same recall), and when the "Bosch" tech finished fixing it the third time, he didn't even bother using wire nuts to reconnect the power cord, nor did he bother putting the wires inside the built-in junction box. Mom never mentioned that it always shocked her if she touched the sink while touching the dishwasher, I cussed up a storm when it bit me and immediately started trying to figure out why it shocked me.

Ground wasn't hooked up. Neutral was just taped together. Hot was just twisted together (bare), and barely touching the frame.

Geirskogul posted:

But Bosch dishwashers are still catching fire.

Yup. Ours has successfully done so once so far, and tried 2 other times.

Thank gently caress we were nearby every time. I don't trust that drat thing as far as I can throw it. Equally thankfully, we have granite counters, so there was no countertop damage. Bosch replaced the front panel of the dishwasher and all of the control boards + wiring behind the panel.

You Am I posted:

Bosch. Mine has been great, well worth the extra cost over Korean brands

You must have found a unicorn Bosch that doesn't constantly need repairs.

Yes, I'm looking at the Bosch wall oven and dishwasher in my kitchen. I gave up years ago keeping the convection cooking working on the top oven (it fries the convection heating element annually, and right now it's down to one - out of 5? - working elements - it takes over an hour to reach 350F, and over 30 minutes to get back up to 350F if you open the door briefly). Both are getting replaced with GE or Whirlpool units whenever we sell the house.

mafoose posted:

Doesn't bandman repair appliances and he recommends speed queens?

If it's not him, it's definitely someone in here that works on commercial laundromat equipment.

They're really expensive for what you get, but at most you'll be replacing a timer or door switch sometime in the next 30-50 years as long as you avoid the models with digital controls.

Residency Evil posted:

Looks like Continental is doing a $70 rebate until the 31st. Sears is adding on $70 off if you buy 4, so it looks like I"ll be getting 4 Conti DWSes for $420.

:getin:

I saw the rebate on Discount Tire's website, except they only have DWs in my size. We really don't see snow much here (when we do, it melts, then freezes into loving cobblestone ice), and we only really see any form of winter weather for a couple of months a year, so I'm fine with a summer tire. And these are probably the best tire I can get for $100.

... I need two tires ASAP (down to the wear bars, and state inspection coming up soon), though my rear tires only have about 5k on them, so I kinda don't want to buy 4 unless I have to. I'd keep one as a spare, but there's no room in my trunk for a full size spare.

Speaking of, anyone know if Discount Tire will let you apply a mileage warranty to a different level of tire? They've stopped carrying the tires I have now, and I'm kinda sick of how quick $50-60 tires wear out (I'm averaging 12-15k from these Ohtsus, mostly thanks to 99% delivery miles). I wouldn't be able to get the rebate if I got 2, but DWs are $100/ea (+ mounting/balancing/etc) for my car locally. It's kinda surprising how limited my tire selection is getting, I didn't think 205/55R16 was getting to be an uncommon tire size. :smith:

fake edit: they also have the ControlContact Tour AS for $114/ea, with a 90k warranty. :stare: I bet those are like driving on hockey pucks though.

CharlesM posted:

Weird, the SB series cable modem is usually well recommended, but the Zoom 5341J I believ (maybe there's newer now) is the best rated on Amazon last I checked. I think Comcast knows they're in trouble here because I said I wanted to cut my services as I'm paying to much and they cut my bill in half for one year without asking any questions. I'm still switching to the fiber provider when they wire my building.

I know the newer 16 channel modems on the "recommended" list (from TWC anyway) are essentially all reference designs, using nearly identical firmware - even the Arris SB series (Geoj's is an 8 channel, so who knows what's going on there), so I wound up going with SMC for mine based purely on price. Once I got a cable amp and pulled new coax, it's been flawless..... except when the head end has trouble. I can sit here and read the system log from the modem saying it can't reach a DHCP server to "tech support", along with signal levels, and they just keep telling me I need to have a tech come out and refuse to escalate.... then a few hours later, they'll call and say they identified the problem as an issue with the head end (... if I could reach through the phone and bitchslap someone....).

Time Warner is loving horrible when it comes to support and customer service, but they're half the price of fiber, and they actually carry The Weather Channel (Verizon FiOS dropped TWC for AccuWeather). The Weather Channel is usually reality show garbage, but when poo poo's going down, they go live and give good updates about tornadoes/etc. Also the 200mbit+ download speeds I get for $50/mo are pretty swell. Total bill is $130/mo after taxes and equipment (I own the modem) for 200/20 internet, their top-tier TV, Epix, HBO, and a land line. I was paying $200+ to Verizon for 75/75 internet, mid tier TV, HBO, and a land line.

(I only have the land line because in both instances, it knocks :10bux:/month off of the bill)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 6, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus gently caress, I just opened up Facebook. And saw this posted by a friend.

It's what his wife wrote on his son's homework, and sent back with his son to school.

I'm not the religious type, but I'm a firm believer that the only way to understand and tolerate differences in cultures (this includes religion) is to learn about them, and respect them - not be a loving xenophobe, and not by thinking your way is the only way.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 6, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

92/49 blood pressure is totally normal, right?

Right?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I figured dehydration and chugged some water.

I just checked it again, it's up to 98/62 (63 pulse), which is pretty normal for me (a touch on the low side, it's usually about 100/65 or so with a ~70 pulse), and I'm not out of it anymore. I need to talk to my doctor about lowering my dose of Lisinopril I think; my last doctor not only doubled it, but added a beta blocker to the mix as well. I want to keep the beta blocker (since it keeps me really mellow), I'd be fine with lowering the ACE inhibitor.

I still have a bottle of my old dosage of Lisinopril, I think I'll try taking that tomorrow instead of the higher dose and see if it comes up a bit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got sick of my credit union constantly loving up deposits. If I made them in person, no problem. If I used the night drop or ATM, there was about a 10% chance something would get hosed up.

Switched to a CU that's new to the area, but not new in general - RBFCU. Sadly, they don't have ATMs that accept deposits, but they have a night drop, free checks (so I have some deposit slips for now, but seriously, who writes checks today? They sent 5 pads of them... I wrote exactly zero checks in the 3 years I had my last account), and they claim they start doing the night drop deposits well before they open for the day. They also have a branch 2 miles from work, and an ATM walking distance from the house (a little under a mile). I went ahead and dropped :10bux: on a box of deposit slips (with carbonless duplicates, so I can actually keep track of deposits, since most of them will be after-hours).

The downside: until their computers "learn my habits", depositing my payroll checks will give me $200 instant credit, and the rest gets a 7 business day hold. :argh: Hopefully that won't take too long, but I went ahead and took today's paycheck to a check cashing place (then deposited the cash) just so I could get my car payment made. I'm told it might be a few weeks, longest they've seen is 6 months.

Enourmo posted:

So my new SSD got here, turns out you need a special cable to migrate data over on single-drive laptops... and the SSD didn't come with said cable. :doh:

On a scale of 1 to electrical fire how bad an idea is it to plug the laptop's original HDD and the SSD into 2 of my desktop's many, many empty drive bays and do the migration that way?

That's exactly how I did it. I still have the original HDD with the original install of Windows 8... somewhere.

Geirskogul posted:

Low BP can be literally anything. From dehydration, to the person's functioning, normal baseline. Also, as we've discussed before STR, electronic BP cuffs that aren't attached to a cardiac monitor are sometimes unreliable, though we do respect the ones that "plug into the wall" (ie: cost more than $40) than the standard Walgreens/CVS garbage. After all, a human ear is unreliable as gently caress as a comparison. From what I remember from FB chat you have a good one, though.

Full perfusion of the brain doesn't occur until you have a solid 70 (we like 80) systolic, so anything in the 90's is A-okay.

Yeah, it's a 7 series Omron (considerably more than $40 when I got it at Wal-Mart.. should have bought it online), and it's within a few points of the arm cuff style Omron we have (7 series as well), and also within a few points of the machine my doctor has. I know no two readings will be alike even when taken back to back anyway. It does seem to get pretty inaccurate (reading on the low side) when the batteries get low, but the low battery indicator is usually on by then. It has pretty high reviews too.

That was the lowest I've seen it though. And I am overweight, but no longer obese (I'm ~185, should be about 160, down from 230), and I do exercise quite a bit more than I used to.

FWIW, my stepdad is in store management at Walgreens (and has been for over 15 years), and he even tells me to never buy a Walgreens (or any store brand) brand BP machine or glucose reader; always Omron 7 or 10 series for BP, and Bayer or OneTouch for glucose. I've stuck with that advice; the wrist cuff one I have is a BN652, and I have a Bayer Contour Next USB glucose meter that syncs with Glooku for Android over a USB OTG cable (so I can print off a PDF for my doctor instead of having to write everything down).

Great Beer posted:

This was all over reddit and imgur yesterday so either your friends wife is famous or lying.

I just re-read the comments on the picture. It wasn't from his wife. :doh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 7, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They said it's part of their risk management, and said the 6 months is at the extreme end. I generally keep enough in checking that it won't be much of an issue anyway, and they're a very well established and strong CU (1940s, over $6B in assets, and they make their P&L/asset&debt statements public and easy to find). Looking over their member agreement/policy booklet, it sounds like they'll likely only do that for 30 days as long as a payroll check doesn't bounce, after which funds will be available as soon as they hand me the receipt for the deposit. I'm guessing the person who said 6 months may have been misinformed?

quote:

Special Rules for New Accounts
If you are a new member, the following special rules will apply during the first 30 days of your membership....... <snip>

Funds from all other check deposits will be available on the seventh business day after the day of your deposit.

As for the why... I get a 10 cent rebate every time I use my debit card (refunded yearly), yearly dividends, free overdraft protection if the funds are available in savings (my old CU would charge a fee if they transferred funds from savings), their online banking is worlds better than my last CU (I'd put it a little below USAA's online banking, which is saying something, while my last CU used an off the shelf Intuit frontend that was pretty crappy), NSF fees below the industry standard ($24 vs $35), $1 cashier checks or money orders, and downright cheap safe deposit boxes (starting at $20/year; the size I want is $30/year - the same size box is $40/yr at my old CU). Minimum balance of $1 in savings, vs $25 at my old CU. Their drive through is also open until 6pm, which will be nice for days when I get off by 5pm.

So a lot of pluses and only a couple of minuses. It's a bit further of a drive to the actual branch (2 miles north of work instead of on the way home), but there's an ATM in the parking lot of the Walmart Neighborhood Market just outside of my subdivision if I want to make a withdrawal, and there's hundreds of thousands of ATMs I can use without any fees.

Also, I just found out my old CU is getting audited :haw:. Old one was once taken over by NCUA (didn't know until after I'd joined), and was controlled by them for several years to keep them out of bankruptcy.

CharlesM posted:

Please ask him why Walgreens has terrible music in all of their stores (at least here on the West Coast). I'm not even joking.

:confused: I don't think they play music in their stores here, except during the holidays, at least from what I remember. But I'm pretty much never inside a Walgreens; I fill my scripts at Kroger for those sweet sweet fuel points, and buy my test strips on Amazon.

The photo tech at a Walgreens in my delivery area orders at least once a week; I don't recall hearing music in there the other day.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 7, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This... might get interesting. :suspense: :f5:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 7, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

What...what is going on?

I don't know, but I'm going to need someone to help me make all this popcorn.

What's the bbcode for the stonk+popcorn smile anyway? I couldn't find it, but my glasses are in the car and and and :effort:

keykey posted:

As someone who went through a Christian school, I completely agree. Also, having lived through the religious school experience from 4-12, Black Jesus is now officially the best show . For the bonus round,"I'd like to challenge you young people to...." :haw:

I went to a Baptist school for several years. :cripes: Probably has a lot to do with my mistrust of religion in general, a mistrust I've only started to get over in the past 5 years or so. I got an rear end whoopin from the principal several times in loving first grade for forgetting a book or bible in the classroom, and an rear end whoopin from teachers in kindergarten because I could never fall asleep during "nap time" (I've had bad insomnia my whole life).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

These weren't swats. There were paddles involved if it was the principal. If it was because I couldn't fall asleep during nap time, it was a swat hard enough to nearly knock me off of the mat.

I mean, I'd be up for something like that today with the right person, but for different reasons.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

According to The Wirecutter, the best deal on a good router around right now is the TP-Link Archer C7, unless you've got a T-Mobile cell plan in which case you can put down $25 and get a Personal Cellspot, which is a rebranded RT-AC68U that can be reflashed to whatever firmware.

I have the Archer C5, and it's been fantastic. A little lower end, but so far it's handled everything I've thrown at it easily.

Kind of wish I'd gone with the C7 since there's 3rd party firmware, but I was in a hurry and on a budget.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Either way congrats man you got me good. If it turns out str doesn't actually deliver pizza or drive a delta my whole world will shatter.

I'll make sure to take a selfie in uniform in front of my Delta for you tomorrow.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fell asleep watching TV. Woke up to the EAS tones.

I'd say that counts as a massive fail.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CharlesM posted:

admin / password

That'd be so tempting if it was a computer I could actually access. :v: That showed up on every TV in the house, and wouldn't go away until every cable box got power cycled (or in the case of Windows Media Center, had to restart WMC).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NitroSpazzz posted:

So glad Roadkill has taken off and is successful. How would you drive the rear axles with the engine sitting basically on top of it?

They're using the old Oldsmobile/Cadillac FWD setup, which had a longitudinal mounted engine with a FWD transaxle. Believe someone said they were using an Oldsmobile Toronado drivetrain, which was one of the first to be setup like that if memory serves correctly.

I'd imagine they just plopped the Toronado's transaxle in place of the stock rear end, and fixed the steering knuckles in place.

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Either way congrats man you got me good. If it turns out str doesn't actually deliver pizza or drive a delta my whole world will shatter.

Your world is not shattered. Here, have a picture of an ugly goon in front of his Delta pizza mobile.

But the new half-aprons we got today makes my rear end belly look too big. :gay: oh yeah the single pocket sucks too, the old ones had 3 pockets... I found out very quickly not to keep loose change in the new one :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 9, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Adiabatic posted:

str why do you have a selfie stick

Because why not? :haw:

Seriously though, I dunno. It was a spur of the moment purchase when I bought a replacement battery pack on Amazon. The ones that plug into headphone jacks don't work on my phone, and Amazon had a Bluetooth one for :10bux:.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I got one of the higher rated tempered glass screen protectors for my phone from Amazon.

Box it showed up in said "For Moto X1". Which is the 2013 model. Looked on the back, it had a "For Moto X2 2014" sticker slapped over the same sticker. Pulled it out, it appeared to be the right size.

... no cutout for the front facing camera (the cutout for the speaker overlapped with it), didn't cover the entire screen, and since the screen has a slight curve to it, well, glass doesn't bend. :argh: Reading reviews for all of the tempered glass screen protectors for this phone basically have the same complaints, so gently caress it, returning it as defective and ordering some regular screen protectors.

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Hahahaha you're the best. :duckie:

I have been reading these chat threads for years, I always enjoy your posts because they're just regular down to earth things in your life, fjelltorsk always had something outrageous going on never seemed quite right to me. On that note what happened to the guy with the boosted protege with a mom that owned a fiesta st?

He's still here, just posts as Enourmo now instead of Fucknag, if you're talking about the guy with the MazdaSpeed Protege (factory turbo). I think I remember his mom driving a Lexus for a bit, then getting a Focus?
DAMNIT CHARLES :argh:

I still don't know what to make about fjelltorsk. The stuff he's posted lately has definitely been kinda out there, especially the last bit with someone throwing rocks through his window. I'm hoping he returns with some kind of explanation, but I kinda doubt he will at this point.

Goddamn, something about those headlights is just sexy. Mazda's been making too many :downs: looking front clips lately, glad to see something a little meaner.

e: oh god I just saw the :downs:, it's just stoned instead of wide-eyed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 9, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know why, but every Seagate drive I've ever owned has died a very early death, generally with zero warning. I don't trust them at all anymore - I try to stich to

The last one was working fine when I went to bed, when I woke up I heard the telltale "click..click..click.." at 6 months old. Being a 6 month old drive, I (stupidly) trusted it not to die anytime soon, and thus had no backups of anything on it. Over 5 years worth of photos, gone.

I have 3 Hitachi drives in this PC, one of them is over 6 years old (500GB), and has been running 24/7 for most of that time. 2 bad sectors, but it's had those for at least 4 or 5 years. Another has 1 bad sector, but it started life as an external drive, and my cat knocked it over several times while running (1TB). Plus a Samsung 840 Evo SSD (120GB) and Hitachi 2TB. Yeah, I know the Toshibas are essentially Deskstars, at least the newer ones, but drat if they haven't been reliable. Anything irreplaceable gets copied to both OneDrive and Dropbox (I have a lifetime 50GB OneDrive account).

Noticed mom's PC has been running really sluggish lately. Couldn't find any reason beyond an incredibly bloated user profile (I've been trying to talk her into either migrating to a new profile or migrating to Windows 8.1 for months).... then I ran CrystalDiskInfo. Over 1000 bad sectors on a 2 or 3 year old Western Digital 500GB. :cripes: Making it better, there's a 2nd internal HDD that's used solely for live backups (yeah I know external would be better, but it's better than nothing). It has over 500 bad sectors. :cripes: Gonna guess she's knocked it around a bit while cleaning; I've moved it a few times while running to reach the ports on the back, but never bumped it hard or anything. I'll probably pick up an external USB 3.0 2TB or 3TB soon and plug it into the router, and have all of the PCs back up the majority of poo poo to that. Shouldn't be too painful, since they're all on gigabit anyway. Obviously after I replace the drive in her PC..

I have a couple of ancient 10k RPM Western Digital 38GB Raptors. They make a lot of noise, but they're really not any faster than my 5400 RPM 2TB drive; I use one of them as the main drive in an ancient Pentium 4, the other is a good paperweight.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 9, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

Good choice!

To be fair, all of mine are from before 2013. At least one is from before 2009.

They're kind of hard to find retail (except at Fry's, and occasionally Micro Center), but I've had really good luck with them.

(I'm going to wake up to a dead drive, aren't I? IT'LL BE THE ONE WITH PORN TOO, OH gently caress)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BREEDER!!!!

So what happened to the forums earlier anyway?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

hitachi gets pissy if you call the consumer drives hitachi because HGST is all western digital now

As long as they still print HGST or Hitachi on the packaging and drives, I will continue to refer to them as Hitachi. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tusen Takk posted:

Like when I buy New Amsterdam Gin it's $22.99 for a 1.5L or $23.99 for a fifth of Bombay Sapphire at Meijer so that's kind of reasonable for liquor

You can't even buy liquor in a grocery store here. For that matter, stores that sell liquor can't operate at all on Sundays. No staff allowed on premises. Distributors also can't make liquor deliveries on Sundays, even to bars and restaurants.

For beer/wine, you can't sell after midnight (2am in bars), or 1am on Saturdays. When I worked in a grocery store, I volunteered to help the beer/wine department do a major reset. The distributors were there, and reminded us of the laws that stated we were not allowed to work in any section of the store selling alcohol after 2am. So everyone clocked out at 2am, and clocked back in at 2:01am. :v: (we actually left around 7am I think, including the distributors)

Preoptopus posted:

trip report : 6 days sober from booze. The shakes have begun but feeling good eating good trying to stay positive and hydrated.

I'm coming (back) up on 2 weeks. I graduate from my IOP program when I hit 30 days sober and 4 more meetings (tentatively that'll be Oct 20th, as long as I don't miss any meetings), then I'll be in their aftercare program (free) for a year - which is basically "show up once a week for group, show up more if you want".

One of the guys who could do no wrong in the group relapsed recently :saddowns: - he'd been doing heroin for nearly 30 years, had almost a year clean, and had recently graduated to aftercare. He showed up and admitted to it though, and got nothing but support for owning up to it. Lots of positive people there, I honestly enjoy going to the meetings. Yeah, some people are court ordered, but the majority of them wind up liking the place.

If the shakes get really bad, especially coupled with racing heartbeat and/or hallucinations, hit up the ER immediately. DT's aren't anything to gently caress with.

scuz posted:

The computer that I built for my step-mom used a bargain basement AMD chip back with a 200GB Seagate only just got replaced because she got a grant to do music production. I built the computer in 2002 and it was running XP. Nothing died ever.

For my own poo poo, I still use Intel and WD :shrug:

For mom's last PC, we decided it would be cheaper to buy a CompUSA store brand system (Systemax). It was a 64 bit dual core Celeron of some sort with 4GB of RAM and a 320GB HDD, and it came with a Windows 7 OEM license. PC was right around $300. At the time, I don't think I could have built an identical system for that price, including a legal OS. I was attracted to it because it was built from off the shelf hardware, so if something died, I could swap out parts.

Cue a nasty storm later, and I'm throwing parts at it trying to get it to stop BSODing. Even after new RAM and a PSU it couldn't pass memtest, so I shotgunned everything. Turned out it had a MSI motherboard, so I made sure to get another MSI motherboard, since I assumed the OEM key was tied to the motherboard brand (I was probably wrong on that one, they probably just used one of the OEM copies they sold with hardware). Typed in the key printed on the case, and it activated with an OEM product ID, so I guess that idea worked. v:v:v It's now an i3 Sandy Bridge with 4GB of RAM, still in the Systemax case.

Whenever I upgrade my PC again, she's getting my current CPU and motherboard (i5-2500k on a nice Gigabyte Z68 board), and her old stuff gets tossed into a small case and turned into some kind of server that'll get tossed in a closet. Probably a media server for the house.

Lightbulb Out posted:

I work for a rugged computer manufacturer and we almost have no warranty replacements with WD drives, unless they're the blue series drives. The Seagate 10k SAS drives have a really high failure rate, however.

Any idea why on the WD Blues? I have one of those in one of the HTPCs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

blk posted:

Are you working with a doctor on this or quitting cold turkey? There are medications that can help.

Agreed. If a doctor feels comfortable doing this on an outpatient basis, Librium is usually the drug of choice, but it'll be a bit difficult to function for a couple of days (you'd mostly sleep). For inpatient, it's usually a combination of Ativan and Librium.

Just based on my own experiences, since he's made it 6 days, there's likely no need for an inpatient detox. I'd think a low dose of Librium for a couple of weeks (tapering the dose down as you go) would eliminate the worst of the shakes. Really, any benzo would work, but Librium has an extremely long half life, and doesn't have the mind gently caress that Xanax or Ativan bring along. It's also very easy to taper off of. But he'd need to find a doctor comfortable with prescribing Librium. Sometimes beta blockers get prescribed to handle longer lasting tremors; I'm on one for my blood pressure, but it also has the added benefit of completely eliminating shakes for me.

Naltrexone will help greatly with cravings, and a primary care doctor will usually be comfortable with prescribing it if asked, but it makes you feel like rear end for the first few days (I'd take it just before bed for the first week). It's offered in pill form, long-acting (30 day) injectable, and an implant. You don't want to know what the injectable (which I've had) or implant (I have not had that) costs, but the pills are available in generic form and usually covered to an extent by insurance. PAWS (post acute withdrawal symptom, aka OH gently caress I NEED A DRINK RIGHT NOW) hits really hard around 30 days, so it's good to have on hand.

* I am in no way a doctor, I've just been through this poo poo too many times.

Preoptopus posted:

im cold turky pretty much, probably doing it all wrong but i should probably see a doctor. i will if stuff starts getting weird. so far im managing with some self medications :420: , teas, and healthy eating.

If you have a blood pressure reader of some kind, use it. Alcohol w/d can cause your BP to skyrocket - I've seen mine as high as 230/180 with a pulse north of 150 before, though I was in full blown DT's. Not trying to make you paranoid, but blood pressure isn't anything to gently caress around with.

Definitely consult your doctor, but since you've made it 6 days, I don't think they'll want to do much beyond blood work (to check liver function) and suggest vitamins. They may give you a mild benzo to help with the shakes, or beta blockers (which help with shakes a bit more, anxiety a little bit less, but aren't intoxicating like benzos).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 10, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My boss has a big boner for getting his concealed carry permit, and keeps talking about how he'll carry at work even though the company doesn't allow it.

I'm pretty sure I can't obtain a CHL myself. No arrests, but the substance abuse history + a 72 hour involuntary hold I managed to get once probably ensures I'll never get a CHL in Texas. Not that I want one, I'm not really a gun person.

Tusen Takk posted:

The rest of it is a matter of wearing him out, I already run him about 5 miles per day but I'm afraid as he gets bigger he's going to need more like 15 miles per day

in which case :rip: me

Look at it this way, you have a training partner for marathons! At least until he's grown up a bit.

I try to take our dog out running with me occasionally, and he pretty much shits himself. He's scared of anything and everything (except other dogs, then he's like "OMG ANOTHER DOG I WANNA PLAYYYYYYYYY CAN I GO PLAYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!"), and he's managed to slip out of his collar more than a few times. Thank gently caress he just runs back to the house.

He's pretty :downsgun: in general.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 12, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

14 INCH DICK posted:

Call me if you need some local flavor will edit out soon, welcome for calling or texting for any AI goons not on facebook

Huh. Forgot I had your # in my phone.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 12, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Adiabatic posted:

Might want to edit it out of your quote, if he's only temporarily putting it there.

Damnit, thought I did. Thanks for pointing that out, it's fixed now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

14 INCH DICK posted:

My boss's boss, the regional manager, was here on an OSHA inspection and they walked up to me and asked if there are any unmarked containers of storage we have they can correct before the state inspection occurs and I not only asked "do I count as an unlabeled container" but the fart I felt brewing cooperated and ripped out the longest, loudest, splatteriest fart I possibly could have ever done on the spot without making GBS threads myself.

:golfclap:

I've learned not to trust my louder farts. :sigh:

Tusen Takk posted:

yeah the paint is rough as poo poo

drat son, I have something like twice the miles on mine, if not more (and only 1 year newer), and the paint looks almost new (except on the side skirts, where it's coming off in chunks).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You must work with some really awful management for the drivers to keep NC/NS.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Then they're awful for not firing the people who keep no call/no showing.

As much as I hate to say it, drivers really are a dime a dozen (though good reliable ones are hard to find). They need to start pulling applications and helping some people out the door.

I can understand a NC/NS for an emergency, but it would warrant a call as soon as possible to explain what happened. How many drivers do you guys have?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tusen Takk posted:

I think the weather up here isn't conducive to having good paint in a plastic car :(

The weather here isn't nice to cars in general. Insane heat (not quite AZ heat, but we have a lot more humidity) and sun in the summer (destroys clearcoat, especially on dark cars, and destroys interiors), plenty of hail in the spring (plus the occasional tornado), plenty of flooding when it rains (see: how I learned what it sounds like when your engine inhales water and pitches a rod through the block)...

MustardFacial posted:

I'm going to loving stab someone tonight.

So this is you?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Finally got my first unsecured "real" credit card (MC/Visa) in nearly 10 years.

... downsides are it's Capital One, and has a laughable APR (24.9%), upside is no annual fee. So it adds a tradeline to my credit, and it's a card I'm not going to touch unless I absolutely have to. The only thing I plan to put on it anytime soon is a couple of tires in a month or so. When I applied, initially it said I was declined and would hear from them by mail, but a couple of days later their fraud department called me to verify a few things (I have an extended fraud alert on my credit files thanks to an identity theft), and said they'd send my app along to be processed.

:feelsgood: even if it is Capital Piss. I have my other cars paid off as well.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mom had taken her car to NTB to get her tires rotated, and asked them to look at the brakes.

They came back with an estimate showing new pads/rotors for all 4 corners, new struts, a new steering rack, timing belt set, etc etc etc. Said it was critical she get the brakes done immediately. So she brought it home, showed me the invoice... I agreed it needed at least front rotors, since it had a nasty shake while braking, but told her to let me handle it.

Dropped $125 at Advance Auto today on pads and rotors for all 4 corners (gotta love that 30% off coupon). Did the front tonight - rotors were likely original (... she's been charged twice by Toyota of Plano for new rotors in the past), since they had cracks and were blued. Pads were worn, but nowhere near critical - they had about 1/4 of the meat left on them.

Looking through the spokes of the back wheels and also feeling the pads, it definitely needs pads, but the rotors look fine. I can't see the back of the rotors due to the weird rear end drum in disc parking brake setup, but if both sides of the rotors look fine, I'm returning the rotors and getting her money back - she's pretty strapped for cash.

Steering rack has a tiny leak; the PS fluid has to be topped off about once a year. It's been leaking since 2007, but I see no point in replacing it until it gets to where it's actually leaking instead of just leaving a damp spot on the rack. Shocks do need to be done sometime, but it still handles fine. NTB was making it sound like it was a death trap.

She asked why they would tell her that her car was in such bad shape. My answer was "because you're a woman, and they thought they could take advantage of you."

She watched me do the front brakes. Had both corners done in about an hour, and it only took that long because one of the caliper bolts was being a oval office and didn't want to thread back in. Her reaction to how long it took was "why do shops charge so much for brakes if they're this simple?". v:v:v

I need to figure out how to flush the brake fluid on it sometime. It has ABS, and I've never dealt with ABS beyond a pad/rotor swap.

Preoptopus posted:

10 days booze free.Withdrawal symptoms seems to be over. Starting to feel lame as everyone parties around me. Oh well I guess ill smoke a bowl and do more sit ups.

Congrats! I'm about to graduate from my rehab program (happens Monday). Unfortunately I can only claim 3 weeks sobriety, even though I've been in the program since July.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

iwentdoodie posted:

Just check and see if the lines are routed weird. Like our old CX7 it was RR/LF and LR/ RF tied together, instead of just front/back or each corner from furthest to closest.

Good point. It's an Avalon, so basically a stretched V6 Camry of the same year, so hopefully there's nothing weird. I'll check out the routing tomorrow when I replace the rear brakes.

Cage posted:

He said he was sober now you rear end.

:laffo:

I gotta say, I wish there was an Advance closer to me - it's about a half hour drive (+ paying about $3 in tolls each way) to get there, but....

That price makes it worth the drive. I may wind up returning the rear rotors, the existing ones look fine (and I really don't want to deal with the fuckery that is known as a drum parking brake inside a disc brake rotor anyway). Just need to be sanded a bit to remove the glaze.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 14, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit. I'm loving DONE with summer. Seriously. This poo poo needs to stop. At least it's getting fairly cool at night, but I'm sick of it being this hot, especially this late in the year.

iwentdoodie posted:

Oh gently caress you.

I needed that laugh after this week, thanks.

Good, I'm not the only one who actually laughed at that. :v:

Geirskogul posted:

Sauteed onions, some cut up "sausages" (hot dog impostors) some green pepper, some honey, some salt, some black pepper, over rice.

Pay day is 12 days away.

I may not make it.

Reminds me of when I was a student at UNT and couldn't afford a meal plan. Or much food, really. My dorm room even had a kitchen with an actual stove and oven. :sigh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Meant to post this earlier, just couldn't remember it beyond "... I know I meant to post SOMETHING, just can't remember what it was :downsgun:"

Finally remembered it!

So I did a complete drain and fill on my cooling system a bit over a month or two ago, when I replaced the thermostat. Some of the coolant wound up in a gallon milk container.

Apparently DexCool really does turn pretty acidic when it gets old. I have coolant that came from the car 2 years ago in an identical container, and it's still happily sitting in that container. The container that the recent drain/fill wound up in? The bottom of the gallon container melted, and there's a nice big coolant stain on the garage floor. :stare:

Glad I finally did a complete drain and refill. poo poo ate through the coating on the concrete garage floor..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Stepdad finally decided it was time to upgrade his laptop. Tech support for his day trader software told him his existing laptop (core2duo) doesn't even meet the minimum requirements anymore. So off to Micro Center.

Noticed a nice Toshiba Satellite in their flyer. Refurb, dual core i5, 8 gigs of RAM, 1TB HDD, touch screen. $409. :stare: Better yet, they had an open box return that was marked down to $390. As soon as we boot it up, something seems... off. It's sluggish as hell, and once I plugged it into the LAN, I saw that port on the switch going apeshit. I also spotted a cmd window popping up every time I logged off or rebooted. The first time it was booted, it started off in the typical new PC stuff (time zone etc), but Windows 8 lets you reset the PC without a reinstall.

Installed Avast on it. Immediately caught 3 javascript exploits running as conhost.exe. Looked at the performance monitor, and it was just pounding the network. gently caress no, not on my network. Tried to run the recovery partition, but something's hosed with it to the point that it can't reinstall from recovery. Thankfully Microsoft makes 8.1 ISOs very easy to get, and even easier to make a bootable flash drive. drat thing flies now, it'll be even faster once it gets a SSD. I kind of want the thing now, even if it's a bit dated (both his laptop and mine are Haswell i5s, but his has a base clock of 2.8 GHz, mine has a base clock of 1.7 GHz... though mine's an ultra low voltage chip, so I get some pretty insane battery life out of it, especially with the SSD).

.... only 144 updates to install now. :shepicide:

Cakefool posted:

It's a drum inside a disc, I really don't see why people are scared of them.

I hate dealing with drum brakes in general, and also lack the tools to work on them. That's all.

Tusen Takk posted:

Ah, I'm 24 and am 6'1"/170lbs so i guess I'm just #blessed with the ability to eat a lot of garbage

When I was 24, I was 5'7 and 135 or 140 lbs.

When I was 26, I was still 5'7, but 230 lbs.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm 37 now, and seem to bounce between 185-190, despite having a 32" waist. I have a reasonable amount of muscle just because I'm fairly active (both at home and at work), and wind up moving tons of poo poo at work (our walk in freezer is so small that we have to empty the entire thing twice a week when we receive our shipments, for example), so I'd like to think there's a lot of muscle hiding under the belly.

corn in the fridge posted:

Those types of rear calipers are probably the most common type of handbrake with rear discs. They're on nearly everything.

IIRC my 91 Integra had a very similar setup.

corn in the fridge posted:

Idk only volvos, bmws, subarus and mercs maybe consistently do the drum in disc thing of the top of my head. The caliper set up is definitely more common on vag, most Japanese stuff, fords, renaults etc

The Toyota in the garage would like to have a word with you.

keykey posted:

Seriously. It was 97 here yesterday and supposed to be 93 today. According to weather channel, it's gonna cool off to 82 and then gently caress us again with lower 90's all within a week. We had about 20 days of upper 70's - lower 80's then we got poo poo on again starting last Friday. Damnit earth, it's no longer summer get with the program. :(

This weekend looks pretty nice... hell, next week too

piss boner posted:

90% of my work day I am behind a desk, its hard to keep up my metabolism when I'm on my rear end for 8 hours.

Talk your employer into a standing desk. I go crazy when I have desk jobs because I have to sit down all day. At least when I have lovely call center jobs, I can pace/walk as far as my headset cable will stretch.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No, we'll just make you use metric

I'm absolutely fine with this. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than inches, miles, feet, etc.

trouser chili posted:

My Accord finally got sick of the way I treat it and blew the radiator on the way in to work today. Mid morning my shoe soles suddenly delaminated, so the poor car was then forced to take me to the mall, and through a McDonalds drive through on the way back to work. Then I drove it home in rush hour traffic. Despite this it only really got close to overheating as I parked in front of the house.

Yeah uh, if the radiator popped, the temp sending unit was only getting heat via whatever heat transferred to it through its threads from the water jacket. It was pretty toasty, a lot more than the gauge was indicating, since the engine had a lot of localized hot spots thanks to the lack of coolant.

But it takes effort to kill an F series, so you'll probably be fine. :v: (also, drat, that's incredibly low mileage for a CB series Accord)

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

How does an Amazon gift card with 1-day shipping take 3 days to ship, then end up sent back because it was somehow 'damaged'. It's a gift card.

The same way that something that was supposed to be delivered 3 days ago (via Prime 2 day shipping) still hasn't shown up. I WANT MY loving GLUCOSE TEST STRIPS DAMNIT!

• Locked thread